• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
And by 7/10, I mean that was overall consensus, not a single review you disliked.

So what's a game that people thought was just fine that you wish got more attention since the reception didn't make people too interested in checking it out.

Sell us on it.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Dare I say it?

BOTW

Real contribution though.

Fire Emblem Warriors. Mechanically great musou with plenty of flashiness but people didn't like the roster. Understandable but I definitely want a FE Warriors 2.

Valkyria Revolution. It was a different take on a beloved series that I believe got undue hate. Story was amazing and if they went with their original vision instead of changing some aspects really late in its development due to fan backlash, then I believe the gameplay wouldn't have been all over the place.

Last edited:

TheBored23

Aug 10, 2018
Steep. Some people were upset that it wasn't SSX, and I wish it wasn't an always online game, but it has this real cool mix of riding and exploring. Also, Ubisoft has added a lot to it since launch.

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda is now a solid 7/10. Worth playing, even if it's not a classic.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
Probably a tie between Remember Me and Thief (reboot). Got a lot of fun out of both in spite of their obvious flaws.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Lost Odyssey, 78% on metacritic. I see it as the last great FF game. Brilliant environments, some catchy Uematsu music, relaxing turn based combat with an interesting twist where some of your characters are immortal or mortal. Has almost everything I'd want from a FF game.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Binary Domain seems to fit the bill. It has a 68 on Metacritic but I loved so many things about that game. It really took me by surprise when I first played through it.

Deleted member 7450

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
All, literally all.

I want people to stop giving a shit to general consensus and just try games for their own sake.

Maturra

Oct 27, 2017
Blood Will Tell: a PS2 game from Sega that was based on Osamu Tezuka's Dororo manga. The game was like a budget Devil May Cry, with fun swordplay and a few genuinely interesting gimmicks, notably the main upgrade path.

In particular, the game's main character, Hyakkimaru, had 48 of his body parts stolen by fiends/demons. For each fiend you hunt down, you get a new body part, which means a new upgrade. For example, at the beginning, he doesn't have eyes, so the game is in black and white. Hunting an early-game fiend grants you his eyes, which brings color to the world. Another, you get his legs, which grants a double-jump. And so on.

It was a very cool, somewhat ambitious system, marred by a few execution hiccups that just didn't work out well... and a bit of a disappointing ending.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Most Gust games of last generation, particularly Atelier Escha & Logy (though I think that did squeak an 8 overall on metacritic). It's one of the strongest JRPGs of that period.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
The metascore of Godhand it's 73 so ...

GODHAND , one of the best action games ever created and it's 73 LOL, review scores should die already

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Darksiders 1 is criminally underrated, overshadowed by it's shitty brother, Darksiders 2.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Dare I say it?

BOTW
And to all those who say that game is a 7/10, I say to them, "This was the best 7/10 game I've ever played!" It's a smart way to keep a 7/10 score from being automatically a bad thing.

My actual answer to this question is Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. The majority of the game is a good ol' time, and the DexNav was a great idea that should come back.

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Hm. Probably Knack 2. Seriously. I know it's a meme and gets a lot of shit, which is why this is my choice. The core gameplay and platforming is pretty good; it's just that everything else surrounding it is either painfully average or utter shit.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
All, literally all.

I want people to stop giving a shit to general consensus and just try games for their own sake.
But at the end of the day, games cost money, potentially a lot even if you go for loads of the sales. You can also make a good trailer for a bad game, so overall realistically we have to be selective.

ZZMitch

Oct 26, 2017
Kingdoms of Amalur! One of the only games I have completely played through twice.

Super excited to see what THQ Nordic does with the IP

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid: Other M

I'd probably rate it an 8/10 myself, with every other game in the series being an 8.8+
Yes, overall it's not an optimal direction for the series and fucked up in some areas, but I think the game is mindless fun and it shows that, if elaborated on, a Samus that approaches combat in a vicious, fast-paced, flashy way could make for a great 3D Metroid game.

I think the volatile reaction to the story and linearity from those who played it probably put a lot of people off from trying it. I do think it should be played to have an opinion on. I came out enjoying it way more than I thought I would've. Especially the post game.

Deleted member 39353

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Sega Rally Revo! I actually really loved this game and I think it may have even been delisted but it was just a really enjoyable game with good music to boot.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Cosmic Star Heroine (MC 76) - a wonderful indie sci-fi JRPG that will remind you of Phantasy Star.

GT Sport (MC 75) - the online play is rock solid and Polyphony has been updating the game with new content almost monthly.

Infamous: First Light (MC 73) - I liked this expansion more than I liked Second Son. It's a blast playing as Fetch and I found the story more engaging than SS.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdoms of Amalur! One of the only games I have completely played through twice.

Super excited to see what THQ Nordic does with the IP
This is one of those games everyone seems to remember reviewing worse than it actually did. It's over an 80 on all platforms, just like Darksiders.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Way of the Samurai Series. Overall never received great reception in the west (assuming it's more well received in japan since there's 4 of them so far). But I love the story branching, setting, and combat personally.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
All the call of duty Wii games after world at war(including modern warfare reflex), and Budokai Tenkaichi games on Wii. No switch motion controls compare to the work that treyarch Wii team put for the cod Wii and Wii u games. IR pointer is much better than gyro for 3rd and 1st person shooters. Optimally IR+gyro is the best after mousepad and keyboard.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Binary Domain is a 7/10 to you guys? Shit, I was reluctant to buy it but I loved it once I actually gave it a chance. That sentiment is echoed with Dragon's Dogma as well. I agree with Kingdoms of Amalur but I'd also recommend Zone of the Enders 1 and The Evil Within 1, both are surpassed by their respective sequels.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid: Other M

Yes, overall it's not an optimal direction for the series and fucked up in some areas, but I think the game is mindless fun and it shows that, if elaborated on, a Samus that approaches combat in a vicious, fast-paced, flashy way could make for a great 3D Metroid game.
Metroid Other M is shit, but it's a fascinating piece of shit that I don't regret playing. Where did it all go wrong? From it's shit unskippable, melodramatic cutscenes, overly linear levels and the stupid hybrid combat where you're expected to waggle the remote and clumsily change into a stilted first-person view. It truly felt like the Phantom Menace of the series and people will still be analysing in years to come.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gran Turismo Sport is one of the most 7/10 games I've ever played, but it's got a nice style.

The Last Guardian, but only if you have a Pro. I mean, it's still somewhat of a mess, but at least the framerate is much improved.

Heavy Rain for the unintended comedic moments.

Deleted member 7450

Oct 25, 2017
While that is good in spirit, scores do serve a purpose to give the masses a general idea of how well a game fares.
But at the end of the day, games cost money, potentially a lot even if you go for loads of the sales. You can also make a good trailer for a bad game, so overall realistically we have to be selective.
I wish I had enough time and money to do that.

They do serve a product, but serve less the art.
Being selective has its purpose, but basing on the general consensus removes the nuance of the discussion IMO.

Of course, not everyone needs to play all games, I think what I would want more is perhaps a "better understanding" about games.
If one is to follow any sort of "guide" that they know better why they're not playing it, instead of a "consensus says it is a <8/10, pass"

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Deadpool. Yeah the combat is mediocre, but it's a great modern version of the arcade beatem up and the humor is fun.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Turning the exploration difficulty up to Hard is a revelatory experience.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Rain World.

32026346631_a8d23899d1_o.gif
(Gif from this ERA writeup)

I understand the reservations - the game is sometimes cruelly difficult, sometimes unfair, potentially punishing, but hey, this is one cohesive, compelling, exceedingly interesting game and world. The game needs to feel punishing because it's supposed to feel like a rough, uncaring world. You're nobody. You're prey. You can just as easily die as anyone else. What feels unfair at first is often the result of not being cautious enough. Tutorialisation sometimes feels a little bit obtuse so I understand why that'd be the case though.

The game is gorgeous. Never seen anything like it. The dynamic music works perfectly with it. The mechanics feel really organic and visceral. Just in this gif here you can see how your enemies can prey on each other just as much as they do you. It's unflinching and terrifying. Always tense. It's an example of how this industry treats fresh, bold but flawed games vs really polished and safe games. It deserves a lot more attention.