• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Hey guys,
This is getting really weird, we're almost mid July and we still don't have any info on Dark Souls for Switch. Too me the longer they wait the less its going to sell, especially if you are getting into "fall 2018" territory.

But to not even give a release date for a game that presumably releases within 2 months it ridiculous to me, what the hell is going on? did Virtuous games mess up or something? Is Virtuous even working on it atm? I could totally see that IF Virtuous game messed up that Namco them self or QLOC(they did the other versions) are trying to fix it. Are we even going to get a Network test at this point?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
We'll know the answers to your questions when they tell us. Until then, all anyone can really do is speculate.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
my hope?
it'll be one of those "it's out right now" announcements on a direct

somethingisme

Oct 27, 2017
It's hugely disappointing and will be used as "evidence" that switch ports don't sell when the game is sent to die this fall.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if it got delayed to put in extra content...not like areas but Zelda outfit and Sword. Skyrim did it...

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
my hope?
it'll be one of those "it's out right now" announcements on a direct
But thats unlikely since it also has a retail release, and we all know how good retail can keep secrets (hint: they cant)

There could always be massive netcode problems that aren't apparent in a showfloor demo.
That could be, but why not be open about it? i mean if a developer told me we are delaying the game because reason X i would totally understand.

But we only got "Due to the nature of causality" witch is extremely vague

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
It will be a mid-late August release or September. My guess is September. And I think it will end up selling well despite the delay.
The problem with a September release is that at the end of august we got MonsterHunter, in September we got xeno2 dlc ect ect and thats if you only count switch into the mix let alone if you mix that with ps4/x1 releases. And releasing it so late can only mean less sales at the end. Quite a view friends cancelled their switch pre order after e3 because if bamco still doesn't have a more solid release window by e3 then when are they.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still sad about this. It was supposed to launch during a quiet time of the year with few big releases before it and now it'll just be another release coming during this busy summer period.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It will happen at least. Don't expect much on the performance/ image quality level though. It will be interesting to see how it holds up to the PS3/360 versions

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly believe it's because they want people to double dip. They know the Switch version has something the others don't - portability. Pre delay, the Switch version was WAY ahead of the other versions in preorders. This makes me think they want to hold it back so people will buy the other versions then double dip for portability.

Kinda like what Take 2 do with GTA. It's utterly disgusting but it wouldn't surprise me in this industry.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird and frustrating. I was going to wait, but decided to play it on PC instead. 100% and 130 hours later, there's just no chance I'm buying it again on Switch, which sucks since that's where I wanted to replay Dark Souls. I get this weird feeling that it's going to get cancelled, along with the Solaire Amiibo.

Oct 26, 2017
I honestly believe it's because they want people to double dip. They know the Switch version has something the others don't - portability. Pre delay, the Switch version was WAY ahead of the other versions in preorders. This makes me think they want to hold it back so people will buy the other versions then double dip for portability.

Kinda like what Take 2 do with GTA. It's utterly disgusting but it wouldn't surprise me in this industry.

Dark Souls remastered on PS4 and Xbox One sold like 200k... There's not many to double dip.

Oct 27, 2017
Either issues with the netcode, or Nintendo (who is publishing it, at least in Europe) wants to hold it back until the online service launches.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Right, for you.

For others, it is the most important aspect of the game.
but why not be open about it? for months people have been speculating what the reasoning it. Is virtuous games to blame? is it the nedcode? does it run like dogsh t ect ect ect.

Wasnt there someone of Reset that pretty much hinted at that Virtuous games have move onto their next project right before the delay was announced? im unable to find it, but im pretty confident i read it here.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Either issues with the netcode, or Nintendo (who is publishing it, at least in Europe) wants to hold it back until the online service launches.
that would be utterly disgusting, its not like the online servers are magically going to get better in september. Just as disgusting as delaying it for "marketing purposes".

I'm just going to assume Dave Lang is somehow to blame.
what does Dave Lang has to do with it, he works at Iron galaxy.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
but why not be open about it? for months people have been speculating what the reasoning it. Is virtuous games to blame? is it the nedcode? does it run like dogsh t ect ect ect.

Wasnt there someone of Reset that pretty much hinted at that Virtuous games have move onto their next project right before the delay was announced? im unable to find it, but im pretty confident i read it here.
Because they don't want to and when the game comes out you're not going to be going "I'd buy this but they weren't as transparent as I'd like with the delay."

Apr 21, 2018
The problem with a September release is that at the end of august we got MonsterHunter, in September we got xeno2 dlc ect ect and thats if you only count switch into the mix let alone if you mix that with ps4/x1 releases. And releasing it so late can only mean less sales at the end. Quite a view friends cancelled their switch pre order after e3 because if bamco still doesn't have a more solid release window by e3 then when are they.

I didn't think of monster hunter or xenoblade as much competition as they are completely different genres. Hell, releasing in May with Donkey Kong and Hyrule Warriors could have impeded sales more.

They said summer, continued to say summer at e3, therefore I have no reason to believe it would come out later than September. I figured it might come out around the switch's online launch but who knows.

And I think it will still sell relatively good for being the only handheld souls game and only souls game on the platform. I can still see it doing 250-400k worldwide.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Still a bit down that it got delayed. Late May could have been perfect, but now I got other games to check out instead, so I am putting it on the backburner.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
But we only got "Due to the nature of causality" witch is extremely vague

In this world, is the destiny of a Switch port controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of Nintendo, hovering above? At least it is true that From has no control... even over their own IP.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Already playing the PS4 version and still wanting it on Switch since it's so much fun. Portable Souls is worth the wait for me but why so quiet Nintendo?

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it like the hand of Nintendo, hovering above?

2iB7krI.png

I could snap my fingers, and half the Switch's ports would disappear. I consider that mercy.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a head scratcher, really.

Game looked and ran pretty good at PAX, so I have no idea what's holding them back for so long, online I guess?

But hell, what does it take to hold back a game for several months like that?!

I still have my pre-order anyway, because I already played DS plenty enough to not mind, but holy shit, them Switch-only gamers am cry.

OP
OP

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Because they don't want to and when the game comes out you're not going to be going "I'd buy this but they weren't as transparent as I'd like with the delay."
I get that, its not like people are going to say that in the store per se. But fall 2018 is getting pretty crowded, from august on you get pretty much 2 switch games every month(if not more). People only have x amount of money to spend.

In this world, is the destiny of a Switch port controlled by some transcendental entity or law? Is it like the hand of Nintendo, hovering above? At least it is true that From has no control... even over their own IP.
XD. But in all seriousness let hope its not Nintendo and or Marketing purposes, but it would explain the post in may that Virtuous(thats behind darksouls switch) already moved on to new project(s). Cant find the post anymore, but im positive i read it around pax .

Maxximus

Oct 28, 2017
I never completed the original on PC, but I did love it until I was forced to ragequit. I'm really looking forward to finishing this game on Switch. I hope it comes early August so I can complete it before the Fall releases (Red Dead 2!!)

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is that the game's delay is holding my Solaire of Astora Amiibo hostage since the day it was available for pre-order.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Switch is still gonna be the best selling version... But only because of how depressing the sales have been so far...