• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a truly terrible game but the worst would be Kingdom Come Deliverence. Just really bland setting and characters, hated the clunky combat, nothing really happens or is resolved in the story, multiple game breaking bugs and the worst performance for a game I've tried on my PC no matter what tweaks I did.

Nov 30, 2017
Not even on page 2 yet and we already got God of War, Spiderman, Celeste, Monster Hunter World and Far Cry 5...

Haha. This is why I come into these threads. But it's their opinion, its entertaining though to see some of the biggest most well received games on peoples list.

In fairness I probably would hate any Japanese game or RPG cause they aren't my thing

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Yikes. Spider Man and Red Dead Redemption 2 bottom out as the worst games I played in 2018 just by process of elimination. These were two titles were I specifically told them to @#$% off before deciding to never play them again.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Just Cause 4
Refunded it because of how horrible it is.

I loved JC2 and JC3. JC4 was the biggest letdown this year

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
MachiaVillain

Man I was really looking forward to this. It's management sim kinda like Dungeon Keeper.

It just came in way under-cooked.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
Fallout 76. Played it with a friend (he paid for the game rip), and it was utter crap. It's one of the moments where it's total shit but still gives you short bursts of joy due to how crap it is.

RDR2. The story is great (as always), but the gameplay and especially controls annoyed me to death. Ended up selling the game and watching the story parts on youtube.

Shoozle

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
UK
Looking through the 56 games beaten, only 20 of which from this year, it would have to be Dead Cells. Which appears to be a very unpopular opinion. NNK 2 disappointed also.

Bargaman

Nov 29, 2018
Fortnite.

Every game for me goes like this: I go out to the outer corners of the map to avoid confrontation and get good gear. Once I feel confident with my loadout I get more cocky, and start going after people with my minigun. Somehow, these kids are putting up walls at warp speed, and then shooting me from the top while they also build up higher at the same aforementioned warp speed. Then they either kill me, or someone else snipes both my attacker and me. Reminder that I'm on PC so it's not that I can't aim good enough. Overall, the game isn't even enjoyable when I win.

TL;DR: I can't build as fast as everyone else in fortnite.

Oct 27, 2017
Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash on PC. I usually dont mind SK games (I actually like Estival Versus) but this one is not very good (and too easy once you grind for cards for about half an hour).

Also, I refuse to platinum (or 100% achievements, whatever) it because of that creepy touching sim shit.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Worst game I played that came out this year: Little Dragon's Cafe

I had no qualm whatsoever with the lack of content--it had the mind numbing feedback loop I wanted after a long day. My issue is that the controls were absolutely abysmal and largely unresponsive. The publisher/dev have done nothing to address it and it's just awful to play.

Worst game I played this year period: Beyond Two Souls

It was free on PS+. I played heavy rain years ago with a friend and remembered having fun, but not any of the story or characters (mostly because we were so focused on the QTEs and were goofing around). I had heard bad things about David Cage but I sort of wanted to experience his stuff so I could see first hand how bad it was.

I've literally never played a more unnecessarily long and drawn out video game--the scenes went on too long and the 'mystery' element David Cage usually has was so unclear and nebulous that I wasn't interested in figuring out 'the truth'. It was hard to feel sympathetic for the main character because she just continuously made bad choices and at any time you could double back on a decision you made earlier that should have probably been important for her character. Every single relationship (romantic or not) presented seemed so inorganic and awkward. I finished simply to see how bad it could get and it delivered.

To be fair, I played DBH later this year (bought it used, sorry David Cage I will not give you any money) and enjoyed it way more--still poorly written, poorly researched (victims aren't called plaintiffs by the police David Cage idk where you got that), and awful attempts at modern day analogies, but fun.

Deleted member 1594

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

I don't play games that I don't think will be good. So... I really don't end up playing many bad games. I thought Odyssey would be decent, but I fucking hated it.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
For "triple A" titles, it's Ni No Kuni II. Probably the most disappointing game this gen for me, what a downgrade in quality compared to NNK.

For indies, it's Gris. Journey in 2D just doesn't work that well.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
RDR2. Cumbersome and not fun for the first several hours. Got too distracted with actual fun games like Smash Bros and Spyro that get to the fun immediately that idk if I'll go back to RDR2.

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sea of thieves. Got it on gamepass and i still felt it was a waste of time.

Despite rares awful output in the past few years, somehow it still managed to be worse than all those games. 1 enemy type and 3 mission types at release. And boats come in large or small.

Overkill's The Walking Dead. I'm a huge fan of Payday and liked Walking Dead enough but this game was piss poor. Buggy, boring, generic, clearly rushed out for Starbreeze to make up for their last game bombing.

What was their last game that bombed before Walking Dead?

Per Wikipedia, the last two games released before that were Payday 2 (a huge hit) and Brothers (a modest hit).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbreeze_Studios

I think it was more released because they hadn't released a game in forever and were coasting along on Payday 2 and payday 2 dlc.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's technically a 2017 title, but I didn't get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 until the first week of Jan. Super disappointing.

To expound, it seems like the developers looked at the some of the worst shit in MMO's and decided to put it in a single player game for no good reason.

Last edited:

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RDR2. It's just not my thing I guess. I found it borderline excruciating to sit down and play for myriad reasons. In 30+ years of gaming, it is the only game I've ever sold back. I would probably love it as a Netflix or HBO series though.

Runners up goes to Ni No Kuni 2, which was another incredible bore fest in my eyes.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Either Horizon or Yakuza 0. By the end of both, I wanted both to end.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
I dont branch out too far anymore, buying games I know I'll like so this doesnt mean my answer is a bad game, but Ultra Moon is terribly boring...

Oct 27, 2017
Of what I played and remembered? Hollow Knight and RDR2. Hollow Knight was too long to be enjoyable and RDR2 while decent, was janky to play and reminded me of everything I disliked about RS games ever since RDR 1.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided probably. Glad I got it on PS+.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
Sea of thieves. Got it on gamepass and i still felt it was a waste of time.

Despite rares awful output in the past few years, somehow it still managed to be worse than all those games. 1 enemy type and 3 mission types at release. And boats come in large or small.

What was their last game that bombed before Walking Dead?

Per Wikipedia, the last two games released before that were Payday 2 (a huge hit) and Brothers (a modest hit).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbreeze_Studios

I think it was more released because they hadn't released a game in forever and were coasting along on Payday 2 and payday 2 dlc.

I was referencing Raid WW2. That was in development for a while by Lion Game Lion and it bombed hard.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Wandersong. I was thoroughly hyped for it. But while the mechanics were inventive, the story was disjointed and even worse, the game was very, very hard on the eyes. I was sad about it.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy. All the levels are so horribly linear, it's just not any fun. Lots of other 2D platformers have linear levels, but there's still various ways to approach each section, and various ways to react to enemies and obstacles. But Crash doesn't offer much player freedom or demand much creativity. There's one way to play through the levels and you just keep practicing that way. Boring.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Most of what I played I enjoyed quite a bit. I'll be edgy and say RDR2. Not that I didn't enjoy it but I really didn't love it.

Leithkorias

Oct 27, 2017
Valkyria Revolution and yea, I heard about and expected it to be at least kind of bad. I wasnt ready for the absolute mess it ended up being.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I usually avoid bad games but 2018 was pretty bad. For some dumb reason I finished Shadow of Tomb Raider... RDR2 close second.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
I played like 10 hours of Ni No Kuni II and sometimes it just feels so awful but other times it feels really cool so im not sure. ill have to revisit it some time

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fortnite.

I really enjoyed PUBG but always hoped they would revamp the gamefeel or someone else would release a more polished iteration.

I thought Fortnite might not be that but somehow it feels way worse to play. Between how floaty everything feels, how garish and ugly it is and the fact they ripped off PUBG wholesale, I'm frustrated by how popular it is.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Im lucky.
You know what you like as you get older and you kind of have to make yourself play a bad game.
I dont think ive played a single game this year id call bad...
Ill edit if need be

Edit: Dissidia NT
What a shitshow

Last edited: