• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 27, 2018
Actually, I just thought about it. I played that Yoshi puzzle game on Switch virtual console-thing this year. What the fuck even is that game? EASILY the worst game I played this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's not bad and I plan to revisit it, but Octopath Traveller? I thought I was craving an old school JRPG fix and though it def brought that out a bit, I really didn't like the animation and the gameplay loop began to grate on me.I did like some of the characters tho, so I want to retry it sometime.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
EDIT: whoops, i misread this as the worst game you played in 2018 but I already posted, so here you go: I don't generally make a habit of playing bad games, but this year I sat down and played through Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back on my PS4. I kind of sort of like the SNES ones in a nostalgia drunk sort of way (every game is great when you play them at 6-years-old!), so I was curious and I got it for like 11 bucks.

Here's the thing: it's not a bad game really, but it is an extremely boring game. It's entirely playable. The levels though, are basically just straight lines completely covered in collectable yarnballs. You can run from beginning to end fairly easily with little obstacle, in every single level in the game, in the span of like 1 to 2 minutes. As a result, you can easily beat the game in like 45 minutes. BUT there's a big caveat to this game's fine-ness. The bosses. The bosses in this game suuuccck. Bosses with extremely monotonous and long attacking phases with a limited moment of vulnerability at the end. At the end of the game these phases can last minutes before you get a very limited window to hit the boss one time. And if you miss the window, which you often easily can, you have to wait for it to cycle again. It took me damn near 15 minutes to beat the final boss, and it was an entirely boring 15-minutes too.

4-5ish out of 10 on that one from me.

Aug 27, 2018
Well it's not bad and I plan to revisit it, but Octopath Traveller? I thought I was craving an old school JRPG fix and though it def brought that out a bit, I really didn't like the animation and the gameplay loop began to grate on me.I did like some of the characters tho, so I want to retry it sometime.
This probably would have been my choice at least for games that came out this year except for how much I enjoyed the battle system. Battle system aside the story just seemed kinda boring and I like learning about characters in a Persona type of way but for some reason the characters in Octopath just couldn't grab me.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This thread has only proven that Era is just really good at avoiding games that are actually bad.

Almost every game on the past couple pages is good. Haha.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Overkill's The Walking Dead

The term "soulless" was invented for this game. It's also ridiculously ugly, boring, and essentially a doubling down on the worst parts of payday 2.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
RDR2

The open world is incredible, but it's largely wasted due to poor game design. The writing is the best ever in a Rockstar title, but I just couldn't bring myself to suffer through the restrictive story missions to experience it all.

Worst controls I've encountered this gen.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Unironically RDR2. I didn't enjoy it at all. Between the slow as molasses gameplay, the terrible controls, the inconsistent 'realism', the boring as fuck gunplay, the awful bounty system and the poorly designed story-missions that tell you what to do every step along the way, it was an absolute chore. Never felt so at odds with the critics before.

And the ridiculous thing is I really enjoyed the first one! And only played it for the first time in January. RDR2 is straight up mechanically inferior to it though.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0 is the best game I've ever played.

If these are the worst games you've played all year, you must only play the best of the absolute best. There are few games I'd put above Yakuza 0 in quality, and Horizon is great in its own right.

I found the dual protagonist structure of Yakuza 0 to be a repetitive grind for the most part. It was a fun, zany, melodramatic story for the first few hours, but then story beats, gameplay mechanics and the ensuing tutorials would start to repeat creating tedium and boredom and just mashing the X button to get to non-filler text. Kiryu was also just not fun to play as and the obvious copy-paste water downed real-estate mini-game was just frustrating compared to the cabaret. If I want zany Yakuza stories I'll just watch a Takashi Miike film; there's not really a limit on Yakuza media out there.

Horizon Zero Dawn was just kind of a corny exposition dump video game plot; I was bored by the protagonist, I was bored by the antagonist, I was bored by the side characters. Didn't find the loot grind and equipment upgrading very fun. So not only was I bored by the story; I was frustrated by the mechanics.

I mean I scaled back exponentially on the number of games I played/beat this year, so out of the following they were the experiences that really dragged:

1. Night in the Woods
2. Hollow Knight
3. Nier: Automata
4. Horizon: Zero Dawn
5. Pikmin 3
6. Dishonored 2
7. Yakuza 0

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Dont think ive played a single bad game this year. But there some thar didnt gel with me or i found just mildly dissapointing.

Fortnite: tried it on switch but legit didnt enjoy it. I guess this kind of genre mashup just wasnt for me

Megaman collection: I love megaman in amy shape or form but that input lag is really noticable and its infuriating at times..

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
As per usual going to have to have a look at games released in 2018 I played, brb

Detroit I guess. The game is competent but it's the worst experience I've had this year. Good year!

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I played a mobile gatcha game (game where you roll slots to get rare characters) called Terra Battle 2.

It was so bad, it shut down for good three months after launch!

The game was so bug ridden, the most exciting part of "playing" was waiting for the servers to randomly shut down and award players with free energy as an apology, which happened constantly.

Performance was bad, the systems and gameplay were inferior to Terra Battle 1, the events learned all the most annoying lessons from other gatchas with super grindy events, and the maps were a pain to traverse.

The art, music, and UI were aces though which was why I grit my teeth and awaited the fixes Mistwalker promised would revitalize the game but then the NA server was unceremoniously shut down.

Bummer.

... Lucky me though, saved me from getting deep into another mobile gatcha game!

Nov 1, 2017
Bayonetta 2
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Dark Souls Remastered
God of War
La-Mulana 2
Lumines Remastered
Monster Hunter World
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Octopath Traveler
Pokemon Let's Go: Eevee
Red Dead Redemption 2
Soul Calibur VI
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The House in Fata Morgana: A Requiem for Innocence

These are the games from 2018 that I've played and honestly, God of War is near the bottom of the list with Blazblue.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Storm Boy, over in 10-20 minutes, and barely even a game. The first refund I've ever requested.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
Fortnite. After friends asking me to try it for months, I gave it a shot and absolutely hated it. I actually did well at it but ugh, no more.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 5, I feel like Ubisoft dropped the ball hard with a lot of things about this game, the story being the main one. I'm curious about New Dawn, but FC5 was enough for me to be a little wary of future Far Cry games for the time being.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

I spent 70 bucks on it and I finished it, but it was probably the most forgettable gaming experience I ever had.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't buy a single bad game, I tend to buy games in the 79-100 range on XB1/Switch

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I also cringe even saying it but red dead redemption 2. I even went in with only mild expectations but it's a miserable game. Pains me to even say it, given how incredible an achievement it is on a technical level and how long this team toiled on it.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Even though RDR2 is my most disappointing game of the year, it's not by any stretch a bad game - you can still gain a lot of value from the content.

My actual bad game(s) are a couple of cheap games off the eShop, absolutely terrible and deleted after half an hour. They really should implement some sort of ratings, and perhaps more curation.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I tend to not buy games I'm pretty sure I won't like, so there's probably a bunch of actual bad games. Of the games I've played this year, RDR2 was probably the least enjoyable overall.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A tossup between Octopath Traveler and Shining Resonance on Switch. They're both about as bad as each other for various reasons.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Man 11 probably. It's not horrible or anything (didn't play any really bad games this year), but the generic 3d graphics and truly awful soundtrack and overly long levels are a huge part of why I consider it a mid-tier Mega Man game.

Oct 28, 2017
Warframe. Nothing but trash. Dishonorable mentions include Far Cry 5, Monster Hunter: World, Metro Redux, and Ashen.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Ni no Kuni 2 without a doubt. And it's not that bad, but I mostly play games that I know I'll enjoy. 2nd place for worst 2018 game is shared between Mario Tennis Aces, DQ XI and RDR2. The three games are fine, but I enjoyed them far less than the other games I've played (even games that are far less polished like Darksiders 3) for different reasons.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry 5 was aggressively generic and mediocre. What a let down.
Oh right that was a thing this year too... I played it for an hour and when I got the pop ups of activities to do in the game (liberate camps and other such rote nonsense) I literally went "I have zero desire to do any of the things you just said" and quit the game forever. Ubisoft manages to trick me into becoming somewhat interested in their games from time to time and against better judgment I try them out every now and again and end being angry at myself for falling into their trap again.

Right now I'm still contemplating maybe trying out AC Odyssey because the setting looks really cool, but it's fucking AC. The ones I've played were so fucking boring and repetitive I couldn't play for more than a few hours. Everyone just keeps saying Odyssey is so much better, but I look at gameplay and I just see the same boring Ubisoft game over and over again. So I should probably just leave it and save myself the frustration.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Ni no kuni 2 hands down. I hate every single thing about that game. How easy it was at launch with no tweaks for difficulty, how stupidly grindy the town system was, how every quest in the game was some basic MMO style quest (seriously Japan sort your shit out with side quests), how bad the world map looked, how terrible the skirmish system was, how painfully bad the story and writing were. What a piece of fucking garbage game.

I am... actually surprised that you play Ni no kuni 2. Seems like a game that only JRPG enthusiast would actually buy and play and don't think I have ever pegged you as a JRPG gamer, both from GAF and in here, hahah. Maybe I'm not paying attention enough.

Anyways, I don't particularly recall any bad experiences in my 2018 gaming memory.... need to think about this one.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Monster Hunter: World has more menus and systems to figure out than most operating systems I've used, and the "multiplayer" is so intuitive you'll probably get matched up with your friends faster if you blindfold yourself and hit random buttons.
Just bought the game, this is going to be my first Monster Hunter. I hope I like it. And damn at all the Ninokuni 2 mentions. First game was amazing. What happened? It's in my backlog, hope it's not as bad as you guys say

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Bombing Busters.
Free with PSPLUS, it looked like a clone of Bomberman, that I really love, so I was happy.... until I played it.
I really tried hard to make me appreciate that game, but then I gave up after a while...
It's a clone of Bomberman, but it's a really bad one... on every way.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Worst game I beat no matter release date was Where's Waldo for the NES. It took about 15 minutes to do so but it was a horrible 15 minutes, it was just a blurry mess we were 3 grown up who had collaborate to try find this Waldo.. sometime it didnt even look like Waldo. Colors where messed up. Someone paid premium money for this some 27 years ago.

Worst game I beat released in 2018 was Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn on the Switch (got it for free) It wasnt terrible.. it wasnt at all memorable though, luckily quite short.

My biggest dissapointment was Ni No Kuni 2... It was so flat and boring I couldnt even finish it so I sold it. It looked like a dream though so it sucks that it was so meh.

Oct 27, 2017
Subjectively? As in "it's a good game that's not for me"? I guess Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu. Game Freak took everything I liked about Pokémon, got rid of it and replaced it with trash. It's "core", so be ready for Gen 8 to incorporate most of the mechanics from PGL.

Objectively? Chasm. It's a metroidvania that misses all the points about being a good metroidvania. It was so busy trying to replicate Symphony of the Night that it forgot to do something interesting to set itself apart from all other metroidvanias.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
When I look at the responses I come to the conclusion that either I play not enough videogames or that people here play WAY TOO MUCH videogames because I did not play even a single bad videogame this year.

Out of the ones I´ve tried (not bought) I´d say it´s Hyrule Warriors DE but that game is far from being "the worst", I just do not like it.