• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arih

Jan 19, 2018
RDR2

The open world is incredible, but it's largely wasted due to poor game design. The writing is the best ever in a Rockstar title, but I just couldn't bring myself to suffer through the restrictive story missions to experience it all.

Worst controls I've encountered this gen.
Unironically RDR2. I didn't enjoy it at all. Between the slow as molasses gameplay, the terrible controls, the inconsistent 'realism', the boring as fuck gunplay, the awful bounty system and the poorly designed story-missions that tell you what to do every step along the way, it was an absolute chore. Never felt so at odds with the critics before.

And the ridiculous thing is I really enjoyed the first one! And only played it for the first time in January. RDR2 is straight up mechanically inferior to it though.

These people sum up my feelings. I have never seen a more beautiful, amazingly detailed and vast world that was so incredibly boring to play.
I am much more enjoying the game now that i'm watching a story playthrough on youtube.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Detroit and Horizon: Zero Dawn, i won't call them "bad games"; but very, very boring.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 without a shadow of a doubt. What a mess in so many respects.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I guess I tried Fortnite for the first time this year and I really didn't like anything about it. I've liked almost every other BR game to some degree, but not Fortnite. Its mammoth popularity kind of makes it worse.

Beyond that it's been a pretty solid year, at least for games I've chosen to play.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Grain of salt and all because I played a lot of good games: DOOM 2016 - it gets universal love but it did nothing for me. I liked the old school DOOM better for its day.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Just finished Far Cry 4 and I thought it sucked. Pagan couldn't touch Vaas although I liked Arjay more than Jason. The game felt like Far Cry 3.5 more than a proper sequel. Hoping Far Cry 5 will be better when I get around to that.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Fallout 76 beta. Yikes...

It was kind of a novelty though. I always wait for reviews and refuse to preorder games, so haven't played an objectively bad game in years. It was so bad it started to feel good, in the "I can't wait to see what the next bug/glitch is" kind of way.

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I dont go out of my way to play bad games so i can only say games i have played.

I thought Below and Ashen were probably the worst. Just not for me.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Read Dead Redemption II.
Yeah I know, but I swear I'm not trolling. I'm very selective in my gaming choices and RDRII was the worst of the bunch. The game I played this year with the poorest controls, game feel and player agency. But I've talked about it plenty already so I'll stop there.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Grip maybe? I was very excited to play Rollcage's spiritual successor, but the game is ugly, runs like crap on the XONE and the controls are awful.

Oct 27, 2017
I've not played anything I deeply disliked this year, but OnRush was pretty bad. Got it with ps+ and even then I couldn't stick with it. It's just so dull. The racing game nobody wanted.

TheHyde

Oct 29, 2017
Has to be The Quiet Man. In the AAA realm clearly Fallout 76. Not even worth it to note all Steam trash there is, so those are my picks.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Pocket Rumble by far. It was advertised as an easy to get into fighter yet the controls sucked and I had trouble doing even basic moves. The tutorials were bad and the overly complicated controls made me think what in the hell the devs were thinking. I deleted that game from my Switch a week later, even the icon is gone. I want to forget I made that purchase.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rdr2.

And I'm not saying rdr2 is the worst game if the year. Of course not. But I don't play games unless there is a good chance I'll like them and of those rdr2 is the worst. Hate it.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Tiny Hands Adventure
i have a high tolerance for mediocre/middle of the road 3d platformers & this game liberally cribs the crash bandicoot formula so i figured itd be okay enough as platforming junk food. boy was i wrong

lousy controls, awful level design, a weird mishmash artstyle (some enemies/objects look so dramatically better than the rest of the game i wouldnt be shocked if they came from an asset store), ugly ui, horrible blaring stock music that doesnt match the game, tedious boss fights. its incredible how every facet of this game manages to be terrible. the main mechanic is each boss gives you a new set of arms but instead of being new moves you just use them at predetermined points, press a button, and get a gem. theres weird 2d levels where the floors you walk on get out of sync with the scene and paralax scroll in weird ways.

i played a few wholly unremarkable but decent enough for a weekend 3d platformers this year (funk unplugged, suzy cube, freckles & flynn) and i figured this would be in line with those instead of an absolute gutter tier mess.

notme2020

Dec 3, 2017
I try to avoid bad games as I don't have much free time these days, but I played about 15 minutes of the Fallout 76 beta and uninstalled it. I love Fallout but this was everything I didn't like about the series expanded into one terrible game.

Maybe it's unfair of me, but that's the worst thing I've played this year. I'm going to give it a fair shake eventually, though.

Same here played the beta and really dislike it. The game just didn't know what it was trying to be. It wasn't a good Fallout game that's for sure.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I rarely stumble on egregiously "bad" games, so most of the stuff that up being comparatively bad tend to just be games I just don't like. Either way, the game that came to mind for 2018 was Secret of Mana. Not a huge shocker though, since I think the original release is of a similar quality. Aesthetically questionable, buggy, vague, combat I don't find engaging, a magic system I find annoying, nothing characters, and boss fights that I want to be over almost as soon as I start them. Also for some reason a lot of empty, copied-and-pasted rooms that make you not want to bother exploring. Still has simple co-op joys, but it just makes you appreciate the person you're playing with, and not really the game. The only thing the remake does worse than the original, is attempt to remaster the music. The original game had good, albeit short tracks, and this remake tries to lengthen and modernise them. These updates are consistently worse, but at least you're given the option to use the old music.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played any games I genuinely thought were bad this year and most of them have actually been replays of older games. Octopath Traveller was probably the one I enjoyed least

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Man the hot takes .. like did you only play AAA Games..? there should be a lot of bad games mentioned here, because crap games sell in a big way on Nintendo Switch e-shop..

Like I played CABELA'S® THE HUNT and BASS PRO SHOPS® THE STRIKE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION... and they are bad games.. like really bad games.. Wii games ported to switch to make some fast cash.. those are the worst games I have played this year..

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'd have to go with Fallout 76. Not only is it a technical disaster that looks like something from early last gen, it's sole intention to exist seems to be raking Fallout fans over the coals with ridiculously priced MTX.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly, RDR2. It has an amazing looking world but that's honestly it. I find the gameplay atrocious, the story started good but completely goes to shit, the missions are not interesting at all, especially later on. I don't know, this game just isn't as good as people are claiming it to be in my opinion.

SaintJonathan

Jun 5, 2018
Came out in 2017,

But Battlefront 2 pre-progression update. And to be honest, probably post progression update as well. I really wanted to like it. It's Star Wars. However, the lack of any real commitment to the game just put me off. By the end I just gave up on it. Though it's nice to see it FINALLY getting some content, but it's just to little to late for me sadly. EA really fucked the dog on that one.

Dec 5, 2018
Bethesda, North Wales
So, if we are talking "Games I played this year" my choice would be "The Fractured But Whole" it just seemed the laziest, soulless sequel to a game that was genuinely amazing and funny, the jokes were shit, the battle system was ass and I don't remember a single thing being as memorable as fighting Khloe Kardashians aborted Nazi Fetus.

If we are talking "Games released in 2018" Then my choice would be RDR2, it's a meticulously crafted old west experience and it bored me to tears, I managed to force myself to play to the cemetery mission for that Italian dude and I just stopped mid mission and haven't picked it up since, I got the game release day and I got to that mission a week after getting it, I honestly went back to Diablo 3 and had masses more fun than I did with that bloated boring mess of a "Western Epic".
I should clarify I don't think it's a bad game per se, but for how hyped I was for it and how much I loved the first one? It was just a bitter, crushing disappointment

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
In the last few weeks I've had and gave up on Darksiders 3 and Just Cause 4.

Both didn't run very well and were graphically poor. In Darksiders 3 case it also crashed a few times.

Thankfully both were rentals so I didn't lose out trying them.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Haven't played bad games. The one I was personally most disappointed with was Spiderman. It promised so much but delivered a very pretty world but a fairly boring and predictable game.

Oct 31, 2017
Maia, a scifi basebuilding game. I didn't kickstart it, but it 'released' out of early access recently and it sounded like my kind of thing. It's actually an ugly broken mess with a terrible UI and AI that literally doesn't work. As in your settlers will starve to death despite having plenty of food or die of exhaustion because they couldn't be bothered to lie down on a bed. Or stand in a fire and die. Or not complete tasks with absolute no indication as to why. It's a pathetic unfinished mess and frankly shouldn't be sold. Also, it thinks it's funny, which is just adding insult to injury

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad to see one of the absolute best games this year (Hollow Knight) mentioned on this thread lol.

The last kinda bad game i played was Battle Princess Madelyn. Soulless Ghosts 'n Goblins clone with rather bad controls. Had hard time to stop yawning during the handful of hours i tried to play this.

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
I'll echo that it was RDR2 for me. It's a really pretty world, some well acted characters, but gameplay wise just does nothing for me. Rockstar's mission design just isn't compelling to me, because they regularly restrict player agency needlessly, and their core mechanics feature clunky controls on top of combat just feeling shallow. To be fair, they get slightly better each time game mechanics wise, and I can appreciate some of the simmy survival systems, but too often I'm just bored, and the game ends up coasting on its presentation.

twisted89

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting stick for this but honestly has to be Undertale.

Bought it on Switch after I saw people raving about it and found it was just awful, the level design I found utterly boring, the characters something out of a kids picture book with dialogue to match and the combat hardly as revolutionary as people had made out.

Maybe I just didn't 'get' it but certainly a personal worst game of the year for me.