• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i can't wrap my head around this trope. Why is highschool such a prominent theme? Why not college? And what's up with all the inappropriate underage stuff?
I like anime as a medium, but man does it make me cringe a lot of the times.

Is there hope for the industry in Japan to grow up or will Otakus keep it where its at?

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Highschool is an easy theme. The work culture in Japan is terrible and people are nostalgic for highschool days. Not only that, but it gives you an easy start and end point. There's a reason why a lot of shows either end with graduation of the whole cast or most of it. It's the logical end point to their story.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Western cartoons and sitcoms do this just as much. It isn't really a Japanese thing, it's just a human thing obsessed with their younger years. Everyone reminisces a better part of their life and those type of shows bring them back to it.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I've always understood it because first the audience for anime is high schoolers/teens first of all, a lot of people who ask this question cannot seem to wrap their heads around this one. Also being an adult in Japanese apparently really sucks ass because of the awful work culture and teens don't want to watch a bunch of stories about that.

Course when you think about it, western cartoons are the same way except they seem to favor middle school/early high school. Minus the sexual stuff. Why? Because cartoons are viewed as for children in the west just like over there in Japan

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Because, believe it or not, most anime isn't made for sweaty 30-somethings, but teenagers.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because, believe it or not, most anime isn't made for sweaty 30-somethings, but teenagers.
Why isn't there more University based themes? Is it such a terrible thing there?
it makes no sense that horny high school aged boys want to see sexy girls in anime they consume? That makes more sense that most things in this world.
I said teens, so either sex, sure more so girls. I'm pretty sure sexualisation of underage looking characters don't fly in most places. That's my issue.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Then how do you explain all the anime that puts 10 year olds in sexualized rolls? Do teenagers in Japan ewant to have sex with elementary schoolers?

I mean there is definitely pandering to the pedo otaku crowd too in too many series but for most part the high school obsession (and with that underage) is because of target audience.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I've seen the high school years being way better than adulthood years for Japan being given as an answer frequently in past threads that ask the same question.

But the target demo is new. Anyone have sources that back up this claim? American companies frequently mention target demos and I would be surprised if Japan lacked something that should be easily verified.

SRO7

Nov 30, 2017

Doreamon, OP and other popular shounen shows? Sure

But I can assure you teenagers aren't the target of late night anime. Esp when you consider how expensive the BDs/merches of these shows.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't there more University based themes? Is it such a terrible thing there?

I said teens, so either sex, sure more so girls. I'm pretty sure sexualisation of underage looking characters don't fly in most places. That's my issue.

High School is seen as the best time of life and its all downhill from there.

College is generally something you blow by in Japan.

That said, college age anime exists.

SENPAIatLARGE

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious, how many can you name? Yes some lolishit exists but you make it sound like a sweeping epidemic.
We just had Eromanga Sensei last year, and no game no life a little bit earlier. I'm not an expert on lolicon, but I do know it crops up in multiple shows every season, even if it's just another"option" for the main protagonist

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I read a theory that high school is the last real chance japanese people "feel free",so alot of media is set there.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
High School is seen as the best time of life and its all downhill from there.

College is generally something you blow by in Japan.

That said, college age anime exists.
Didn't say doesn't exist, just said lack of more in that theme

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Doki Doki Literature Club deals with this subject. The game's creator Dan Salvado has said it was made in reaction to his mixed feelings about anime.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Besides all the stuff mentioned above, I'd wager the uniforms play a role too. Everyone basically gets to look and be modeled the same save faces, and that makes drawing and designing easier.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Setting wise, because high school is culturally equivalent to American college for the average "wage slave"/office worker. It's simultaneously your first and last breath of freedom untill retirement, but even moreso than life after college in America given Japan's piss poor working conditions. Its the same reason, really, we get a lot of movies and TV shows involving college.

The inappropriate situations... well we'd have to really get into Japan's view and infantilization of women to truly get insight. So I'll just say that the unfortunate situations being a standard can be attributed to appealing specifically to otaku who have interest in upskirts and molestation of anime girls, and a general sense in Japan of "what you do behind closed doors is your business as long as you contribute your dues to society and don't rock the boat". So it just sells and with little pushback.

Combine the two for maximum profits, you get uncomfortable situations... with high schoolers.

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the "teen" cast on shows like that are like in their early 20's.
Yeah i don't get what the poster is trying to say. Anime literally has underage or sometimes underage looking teens in. Just opening up Crunchyroll has some weird looking posters

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the "teen" cast on shows like that are like in their early 20's.

I know. I was an OC fan.

The characters aren't though.

Is it reasonable to compare the actors ages in live shows to the ages of voice actors? Because you can say the same for them I guess.

Oops, guess I was late.

Last edited:

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
I would say it's a combination of appealing to a target demographic (teens) and the nostalgic factor it has on adults there. Work culture in Japan is fucking brutal and high school is seen as the last time people really get to have fun before the salary man life kicks in.

Anime set in high school appeals to both these groups.

As for the underage stuff I really don't know enough about it to say. I've heard one theory that again because of the work culture, childhood is seen as this amazing time of innocence and youthfulness that is attractive to many people there, but this always seemed like more of an excuse than anything.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
High schoolers are generally the target audience, and the adult audience self inserts themselves as high school characters in the show. The high school years are what many people consider the golden years in their life. It's a time period where they feel they could enjoy life and find themselves, similar to how some Western adults often think of college. That's a romanticized view of it, but it's one that's worked its way into Japanese society.

A lot of the creepy underage stuff is because not only is the target audience underage, but the adults who watch it are identifying with the underage protagonists. Outside of loli shit, most anime-style characters look the same no matter what age you give them. Your average Japanese adult that's watching is gonna think of these characters the same way they'd think of an adult character with the same design. Of course the key word here is average... there's no shortage of creepers.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, "sexed up teen" is pretty universal. Turn on the CW and you'll see no shortage of it. Animation for people over the age of 12 just doesn't have the audience in the west, so you don't see as many cartoons about it in comparison.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I'm convinced the main reason the trend of everyone being in high school started mostly because the uniforms give manga artists the excuse to only have one or two outfits for the characters in the real world without it being weird. Since lots of anime is based on manga... yeah.

The sexualization is indefensible and I can't comment on that

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
An easy setting about the eternal summer of youth mixed in with the broad demographic appeal where school children can easily relate to the characters and setting (and their disposable income)

Also there's a lot of weirdos who want to hug a pillow girl

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I known. I was an OC fan.

The characters aren't though.

Is it reasonable to compare the actors ages in live shows to the ages of voice actors? Because you can say the same for them I guess.

Oops, guess I was late.
Because if someone starts getting thirsty over what Mischa Barton is wearing on The OC, that's pretty different than a character like Nowi from Fire Emblem who barely looks 14 (something something 1000 year old dragon something something...).

OP
OP
DFG

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So if they had deeper voices it would be ok? Not sure the point you are making.
That's not even what i said. The character you see on screen looks 15. The voice actor/actress's age is irrelevant when they voice over a 15 year old character. Couple that with sexual behavior and it's a problem.

When you hear a famous voice actor in any medium, do you associate it as the human voicing or the character you're looking at?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not even what i said. The character you see on screen looks 15. The voice actor/actress's age is irrelevant when they voice over a 15 year old character. Couole that with sexual behavior and it's a problem.

When you hear a famous voice actor in any medium, do you associate it as the human voicing or the character you're looking at?

Well for starters, in many many anime they look nothing like real high schoolers. For the otaku community a big barrier of difference is seen between 2D and 3D.

Your typical pervy anime fan is gonna have no real interest in the real thing. You wanna talk about the JAV industry thoughthat's a whole other can of worms and faaaar more exploitative than anime

Also Voice Actors are VERY popular in Japan and is often a selling point.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Its not? Both portray themselves as high schoolers.

That 70s Show had a ton of sexual topics from "high schoolers".

Only difference is anime is just 2d animation .
Again, That 70's Show is a cast full of legal adults who most definitely don't look 16, 17, or however old they're playing. A sexualized image of Donna is not going to evoke the same reaction as some anime schoolgirl positioned to focus on her way-too-high skirt.

If Scarlet Johannson said she was playing a 13 year old in her next movie, nobody would see her as anything other than an adult woman. They're not selling body pillows of anime voice actors.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
From what I heard japanese have a soft spot for their school years. Probably the only time when they're completely free of any burdens besides entrance exams.

That doesn't justify sexualization of minors though. That shit simply exists to please an otaku crowd and capitalize on the outcasts of society.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Loli" designs and high school settings are tangentially related at best. Some shows draw high school girls and their mothers with the same models and proportions, others draw college students and ancient goddesses like 11 year olds. Changing the former wouldn't do anything about the latter.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, That 70's Show is a cast full of legal adults who most definitely don't look 16, 17, or however old they're playing. A sexualized image of Donna is not going to evoke the same reaction as some anime schoolgirl positioned to focus on her way-too-high skirt.

If Scarlet Johannson said she was playing a 13 year old in her next movie, nobody would see her as anything other than an adult woman. They're not selling body pillows of anime voice actors.

And both are equally fake. Anime is just moving drawings.

No different from violent video games.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So i can't wrap my head around this trope. Why is highschool such a prominent theme? Why not college? And what's up with all the inappropriate underage stuff?
I like anime as a medium, but man does it make me cringe a lot of the times.

Is there hope for the industry in Japan to grow up or will Otakus keep it where its at?

Japan has a pedophilic rape culture. Anime both reflects and reinforces it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oo-movement-is-running-into-trouble-in-japan/

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/world/asia/japan-rape.html

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/57eaaf23-0cef-48c8-961f-41f2563b38aa

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...ssault-japan-girl-victim-170307101413024.html

Status
Not open for further replies.