• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't have an Xbox or a decent PC, and I've always been envious of PC/XBOX owners in that they get to play the Forza Horizon games, which look like a ton of fun

Sony doesn't really have a good open world racer series, so really I suppose it's down to third party titles

So Era, what's the closest thing to a Forza Horizon type experience on PS4?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I don't have an Xbox or a decent PC, and I've always been envious of PC/XBOX owners in that they get to play the Forza Horizon games, which look like a ton of fun

Sony doesn't really have a good open world racer series, so really I suppose it's down to third party titles

I'd say the crew gets the closest but still not the same, NFS, or Burnout. Past that you're sorta outta luck

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Need for Speed Heat. No open world racer on PS4 touches FH4's quality

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Newest Need for Speed game. NFS Heat. Though I hear, like most NFS games, there's a huge difficulty spike as you progress through the game.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The Crew 1 is pretty solid after it was patched up. Worth a go. Need for Speed Heat is also pretty great

Avoid The Crew 2 (Its a step back from the first game in big ways), or NFS 2015/Payback.

edit: and of course Burnout Paradise.

Last edited:

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Crew 2 recently got a new update earlier this week which adjusted a few things and is adding more content in the coming weeks, and is generally a better game than the first one by a large margin personally, the boats, planes and hovercraft are a ton of good fun! :D

I do echo some of the Burnout Paradise Remastered statements though, thats always a good game!

NFS Heat is alright, better than the other NFS games this gen but that isnt saying much, but it has a tragically bad licensed soundtrack that makes racing feel less exciting than it should

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that came to mind was Burnout Paradise Remastered, which is still fun as fuck.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

If you aren't trying to spend too much just to play the Horizon series... I would say look out for Xbox One X deals from Microsoft, they had it on sale for like $200 a few weeks ago.

But that would allow you to enjoy Horizon itself in 4K, and the previous Horizon games/locations (like Australia)

And the One X would be good for a year and a half after the launch of the Series X, because Microsoft is going to release all their 1st Party games on both systems. So you might get access to Horizon 5 out of it too.

Last edited:

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
oni-link Just a heads up, The Crew 2 is on sale for $14.99. 70% off.

Edit- wait you're in the UK huh...I don't know if your store has a Spring sale going on right now as well.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
oni-link Just a heads up, The Crew 2 is on sale for $14.99. 70% off.

Edit- wait you're in the UK huh...I don't know if your store has a Spring sale going on right now as well.
yup its also on a pretty hefty sale in the EU/UK right now too, at about £13 for the standard, £20 for the game + Season Pass throughout the entirety of April, not a bad deal honestly especially when they still plan to update the game!

Arrahant

Nov 6, 2017
NL
Forza Horizon 4, what a game. Me and a couple of clanmates still play it every thursday night for the weekly events, even though we've unlocked everything by now pretty much. If you somehow can upgrade your pc I really recommend the game OP. Only race game ever I spent >200 hrs in. It's included in gamepass.

As for PS4 equivalents. I guess the latest NFS Heat comes closest? Haven't played it myself but it wasn't received that bad? And The Crew 2 after that?

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see this topic pop up enough to know that sony needs their own answer to forza horizon. An open world gt game would be awesome but lord knows how long that would actually take pd to develop. I wonder if they could bring on another racing studio to make an open world gt spin off?

Jan 19, 2018
Need for Speed Heat. No open world racer on PS4 touches FH4's quality
This guy gets it.
NFS Heat is solid fun with lots of cool cars and customization. Racing is solid, but the handling model is closer to Burnout than Forza Horizon, or maybe even Ridge Racer. The little story is fun and silly. I particularly like the over the top police crew. The Crew seemed interesting to me, but it handles like garbage IMO.

It's no Forza Horizon (2/3/4), but NFS Heat is better than others of it's kind on PS4. NFS Rivals is also surprisingly fun and I'm sure it is pretty cheap these days.