• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right wing extremism will steamroll the fuck out of us regardless of how good we look.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Natalie follows her in so far as opposition research. She provides a basis for Natalie's critique videos.

Also, you're allowed to disagree with Chomsky. He's not god

Oh. That makes sense. As for Chomsky, I don't have a problem disagreeing with him. I just think his opinions are relevant to public discourse.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
the US perspective on Antifa is a bit bizare as someone form a german speaking country.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the American left seem to prefer order to justice, so when a group that actively fights for justice over order, you'll have people arguing against them and their methods.

For a very recent example. If the HK protests were to happen in the US, they would very likely be condemned by all sides and any attacks of violence used in response by the protesters would be held up as examples by 'moderates' to why the protests are wrong and why they shouldn't be supported.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Many liberals and "progressives" are more interested in upholding the appearance of civility and peace rather than justice. That's why they fall for the rightwing propaganda that antifa is actually a threat to human lives.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
We are Antifa. Anyone who wants to stand up again fascism, white supremacy and hatred is antifascist. We're made up of everyone from all walks of lives. Historically this has meant Jewish and Black communities, communists, anarchists LGBTQ- anyone and everyone at risk of persucution or against hatred. That sometimes means we're aligned differently on how to deal with an issue. Some believe violence is the only way others believe peace. But we're all against fascism.

The right-wing media an politicians are afraid of unity - seeing such a diverse group coming together united under a single purpose is a fascists worst fear. So they'll demonize us, outlaw us. Do anything and everything to break apart acts of unity in the left. Divide and conquer - a tactic as old as mankind itself.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Antifaschistische Aktion are great.

Anybody who is willing to stand under the general banner of anti-fascism, and take actions to oppose fascism, are also pretty cool.

Fuck fascists, and all those who enable them.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
We are Antifa. Anyone who wants to stand up again fascism, white supremacy and hatred is antifascist. We're made up of everyone from all walks of lives. Historically this has meant Jewish and Black communities, communists, anarchists LGBTQ- anyone and everyone at risk of persucution or against hatred. That sometimes means we're aligned differently on how to deal with an issue. Some believe violence is the only way others believe peace. But we're all against fascism.

The right-wing media an politicians are afraid of unity - seeing such a diverse group coming together united under a single purpose is a fascists worst fear. So they'll demonize us, outlaw us. Do anything and everything to break apart acts of unity in the left. Divide and conquer - a tactic as old as mankind itself.
Are you quoting something? Because I'm anti fascism, but I sure as hell am not Antifa. And if you wrote this, I doubt that you're Antifa.

Antifaschistische Aktion are great.

Anybody who is willing to stand under the general banner of anti-fascism, and take actions to oppose fascism, are also pretty cool.

Fuck fascists, and all those who enable them.
They're groups, and like all groups, there are people who do wrong things and go too far. At least in my opinion. So I disagree that just "anyone" taking actions against fascism under the banner of anti-fascism is pretty cool.
But that's a nitpick, in general, I believe the existence of the Antifaschistische Aktion is very important.

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
Something that also hasn't mentioned is when they start rounding up ordinary people who have been vocally anti-fascism on social media, the "Antifa" label is what they'll use.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
It's not ridiculous at all and it is not abbreviated how you think it is. It comes from the words:
Anti Faschistische Aktion

No, it's still a ridiculous abbreviation.

If it was a proper abbreviation it would be AFA.

Antifa and particularly the An-Tee-Fah pronunciation that Fox loves to use makes it sound like a hipster salad. Which is almost certainly their intention.

I'm off to eat some MagWAH!

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018

Antifa and particularly the An-Tee-Fah pronunciation that Fox loves to use makes it sound like a hipster salad. Which is almost certainly their intention.

People on era find a way to be angry about just about anything. Easily angered. I like to call them Easilang.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
first rule of Antifa....
I meant because it shows a massive lack of understanding what antifa is, hah. I don't think people in these groups are anything but vocal about it, but the assumption that "we all are antifa" based on being anti fascism seems a bit naive for someone "in it".
Hope that made sense.

Well, when you start a movement with a name that's still being used 87 years later, you can do it better, okay? Seriously, nitpicking a close to 90 year old German abbreviation is just dumb.
Especially complaining about the pronunciation of a word that didn't originate in your language.

Something that also hasn't mentioned is when they start rounding up ordinary people who have been vocally anti-fascism on social media, the "Antifa" label is what they'll use.
Besides being a bit of a paranoid horror fantasy, I'm not sure what you're getting at. If that were to happen, it'd be really really bad. But... not something that'd really change the situation for better or worse, if we're at that point.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017

you should stop giving a rat ass about what people on the right have to say about anti fascists.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
People on era find a way to be angry about just about anything. Easily angered. I like to call them Easilang.
PNQSUpZ.gif

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
"Antifa" is also a fucking ridiculous word. I refuse to accept it unless we call Trump and his supporters "Neona"
So you don't actually know what it stands for?

Also as someone who grew up in a neighborhood with strong antifa background in germany it's a bit weird americans are so clueless about antifa.

Jun 22, 2019
People would rather bend to fascism than actively oppose fascism.
This is how dictatorships are often born.

Given history, the backlash against anti-fascists is not at all surprising, but it is depressing.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017

That's the german pronounciation that's been in use for close to a century...

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Even if it doesn't sound cool to you, it's still not "ridiculous". It makes perfect sense.
Also Fox does apparently pronounce it how it is supposed to be pronounced.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The punching Antifa is only the tiny part of the movement, but most of the middle class and right-winged people are too comfortable blaming the Antifa.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Antifa is way more criticized (rightfully) and not nearly as beloved in Europe as here on Era. I don't know much about American Antfia though, they may be different. But statements like "anybody who is an antifascist must be good" is laughable from an European (German) perspective on Antifa in my home country. They have been needlessly violent against police (remember that our cops are a thousand times better/tamer than your US cops) and destructive against property of completely innocent people. They randomly burn cars parking on the street for sport if they feel anonymous hidden in a group and mask it with fake anti-capitalism arguments.

So if you think positively about your American Antifa groups, fine. But at least keep in mind that THE Antifa does not exist. There are many groups worldwide with different views and behaviour and not all of them are friendly activists. There is no organization overseeing what Antifa as a whole stands for.

Pantaghana

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Croatia
Antifa isn't a cohesive group, it's a loose coalition of various groups and individuals whose only common characteristic is being anti-fascist. Anyone that engages in anti-fascist activity is by definition antifa.

Protesting a fascist rally with a sign that tells them to go eat shit -> Antifa
Disrupting fascist conferences by informing their venues that they will be hosting fascist so the events get cancelled -> Antifa
Making YouTube videos calling out their bullshit -> Antifa

Engaging in anti-fascist activities but claiming your're not antifa is kind of like saying "I walk on two legs but I'm not a biped." Complete nonsense.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Antifa is way more criticized (rightfully) and not nearly as beloved in Europe as here on Era. I don't know much about American Antfia though, they may be different. But statements like "anybody who is an antifascist must be good" is laughable from an European (German) perspective on Antifa in my home country. They have been needlessly violent against police (remember that our cops are a thousand times better/tamer than your US cops) and destructive against property of completely innocent people. They randomly burn cars parking on the street for sport if they feel anonymous hidden in a group and mask it with fake anti-capitalism arguments.

So if you think positively about your American Antifa groups, fine. But at least keep in mind that THE Antifa does not exist. There are many groups worldwide with different views and behaviour and not all of them are friendly activists. There is no organization overseeing what Antifa as a whole stands for.
Most of the burned cars aren't motivated politically. Most eco liberal news outlets like springer simply blame the Antifa but it isn't simply true.
German cops aren't also the good buddies like you suggest even if they are much better than the US police. The current study of the Uni Bochum suspects 12.000 cases of illegal police violence per year and the recent twitter grinds in Germany also shows how brutal and arbitrary they can be.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE

And this is just the known case, I don't want to know how many other cases are out there.

Plenty of nazis and white supremacists work for police.

German cops aren't also the good buddies like you suggest even if they are much better than the US police. The current study of the Uni Bochum suspects 12.000 cases of illegal police violence per year and the recent twitter grinds in Germany also shows how brutal and arbitrary they can be.
Pretty much.

I don't feel safe in my city knowing the police force is full with nazis (proven! then they got kicked, but just the known ones)

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Antifa isn't a cohesive group, it's a loose coalition of various groups and individuals whose only common characteristic is being anti-fascist. Anyone that engages in anti-fascist activity is by definition antifa.

Protesting a fascist rally with a sign that tells them to go eat shit -> Antifa
Disrupting fascist conferences by informing their venues that they will be hosting fascist so the events get cancelled -> Antifa
Making YouTube videos calling out their bullshit -> Antifa

Engaging in anti-fascist activities but claiming your're not antifa is kind of like saying "I walk on two legs but I'm not a biped." Complete nonsense.
So that there's groups within the Antifa network, or that the term has a symbol and a history, that just... doesn't matter?
"Antifa" is not like "Feminism". "Antifa" stands for "Antifaschistische Aktion". It's not a simple catch-all term.
Plus, if I may play Devil 's advocate:
This.

EDIT: And while I've posted the link before, maybe it helps if you read up on the history behind the term/groups/network:
Anyone CAN be Antifa, but being vocal against fascism or even being part of demonstrations doesn't make you Antifa.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
People would rather bend to fascism than actively oppose fascism.
This is how dictatorships are often born.

Given history, the backlash against anti-fascists is not at all surprising, but it is depressing.
In my eyes I see this whole process counter productive. When you have reports of violence occuring among left and right wing groups, it just makes regular people scared. And they become more accepting of police state and authoritarianism.

Yep, the European branch of antifa have very little symphaty. They pop up every time G8 conventions are held in europe and they really give shit impression of their beliefs.

edit. Sorry, I might be mixing antifa and Black bloc.

Last edited:

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017

The only people criticizing antifa are mainstream media and centrists. As history proved, both will always pick the fascist side if push comes to shove. So who cares.

Also, even german police are still just lapdogs for capitalism and full of racist people, so they're not your friend.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018

lmao

all cops are bastards

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
I used to run with Antifa in the 90s. My city of Oslo had a pretty major nazi problem at that time. The strategy was to confront them physically whenever they tried to arrange marches, concerts or meeting points. The nazis would catch a beatdown quite often, but we also cooperated with mainstream and peaceful antiracist and leftist organizations. We'd arrange large rallies, demonstrations and so on. I still believe that the combination of direct (sometimes violent) action and peaceful politics eventually cleaned up the city. Obviously the nazis were the proper violent ones - we'd get shot at and bombed, while it was never our intention to hurt anybody seriously. Luckily most of the leading nazi figures ended up in jail eventually.

Hopewell

Jan 17, 2018
I am from France, and I knew 3 people who were antifa so I can't generalize but those people were mostly just looking for action and were just not very interesting nor smart.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
It's not like "remember that our cops are a thousand times better/tamer than your US cops" is some controversial statement though, that's kinda true regardless of the whole ACAB situation

Europe has its own problems with fascism, they really shouldn't throw that stone in their glass house.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
If you're curious, I recommend this video highly:

Basically the negative perception is mostly propaganda from the right or just plain ignorance. Like, there have been and will be misguided people using the antifa brand to justify their actions, that doesn't change the majority of what antifa has done not the stated goals which are, unless you are 100% pacifist, entirely agreeable.

I don't blame you though. I got the sense antifa was pretty sketchy until I looked into it. Unfortunately I anticipate the confusion will continue just as it did with Black Lives Matter. What compounds the issue is the underlying violence as an option paves the way for people to exaggerate or generalize the "movement" or for somebody to just be assholes under the guise of activism.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Europe has its own problems with fascism, they really shouldn't throw that stone in their glass house.
Of course we got problems with fascism. I'm in freaking Austria. You gotta be blind to not see the FPĂ–VP as a massive freaking red flag.
Still doesn't make the statement untrue, so still not sure why you bolded it. Unrelated to the thread though, I guess.

Jun 22, 2019
And they become more accepting of police state and authoritarianism.

They already accept those things with open arms.
I love how the burden is on antifa to make sure state-sponsored propaganda against them doesn't make more neolibs receptive to fascism when they're already plenty enough receptive to fascism to allow it to have a prominent foothold.

Jan 10, 2018
Most of the burned cars aren't motivated politically. Most eco liberal news outlets like springer simply blame the Antifa but it isn't simply true.

Its also funny how quickly its been forgotten that german police officers work again and again for and with fascists. Like last year, this year, next year. The money I would pay to see a police works with antifa scandal.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Its also funny how quickly its been forgotten that german police officers work again and again for and with fascists. Like last year, this year, next year. The money I would pay to see a police works with antifa scandal.
when someone says "yes, but the police in my country doesn't have those problem", that's a big red flag that says "I don't know what I am talking about".

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
lmao

all cops are bastards

This shit may apply to the US system, not worldwide. A generalizing statement about cops worldwide is a fucking insult to real human beings who are doing nothing wrong. This doesn't mean there are no bad cops in Germay for example, but the problem here is not necessarily as systemic as in other countries. "Bad apples" is fitting for German cops.

Also, our cops being a thousand times better than US cops still doesnt mean ours are great.

This generalizing shit should be bannable when talking about cops worldwide tbh. Fuck you.