• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
For the most part it's been disappointment for me. Console launch games are seldom worthwhile, and then you're out money waiting for something worth playing to come along.

Thankfully backwards compatibility seems to be the norm again going forward, so at least you can do something with your expensive box.

The only console launch I haven't been disappointed with was the Switch, because Breath of the Wild was great. Even that was available on the Wii U though, and there were some thin times after Zelda.

I'm waiting at least a year going forward, might as well end my launch console streak on a good note.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
you stand out in a long line of people in the cold and then you get your box and go home and plug it in and then it has updates for your console and your game and then the servers don't work cause everyone else who was out in the cold is also trying to do what you're doing and then you're like damn it's 4am and i have work tomorrow and then you go to bed and wake up tired as fuck the next day.

Why would you wait in a line for hours when you can get it delivered to your home?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I've never had an issue either getting my console delivered day one (Best Buy or Amazon) or picking it up locally (pre-ordered or walk in), and I've never had to wait in line to get it.

The only problem I've had on a day one console was the original PlayStation, which died after less than two hours of use and then had to wait for a week until the next shipment came in to replace it. I guess I also dealt with the RROD Xbox 360 issue, but that didn't come up until well after after launch for me.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Why would you wait in a line for hours when you can get it delivered to your home?
amazon aint giving me that box at midnight
edit:
also it's kinda fun to an extent? usually with friends when i'm out there so we're out playing handhelds, chillin, drinking energy drinks and making friends with the local nerds. the cloud of hype that's over everyone there gives it a nice feeling

Oct 30, 2017
Buyers' remorse, every time. Not necessarily for the system itself, but I have always bought too many games that I would never buy if it had not been a launch.

Not this time, baby.

Super Chuleta

Oct 30, 2017
Me and my boy went to get the Xbox one at launch, we had to sit though some downloads and updates but as soon as everything was done man we were stoked. (Predominantly on console then) We thought Dead Rising 3 looked great but we didn't play it for too long, Killer Instinct however was a different story. KI looked great and played better we were hyped up the entire night lol

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
I feel like now that I'm older getting a console on day 1 is a different more dulled experience. I usually never get consoles on launch but I did get the Switch at launch because I believed so deeply about the usefulness of the hardware. I think unless there's a killer exclusive that you're buying it for, a lot of times using the console can be a somewhat empty experience because usually there's only a handful of games you have a choice of getting during the launch phase of a console. The PS5 might be in a unique position if backwards compatibility is indeed true and you'll have a whole library to play with higher framerates and resolutions.

I tend to enjoy exploring the UI of a new console more than playing any games at first.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Convincing yourself that the lack of games is OK because you've always wanted to try Lego Marvel.

Joking aside, if there is a killer app it is a really fun experience. If there isn't it can be incredibly dull. If saving $50-100 for a price drop isn't a concern all the hype and fun of having day one is worth it to me. But there is ALWAYS a drought of games after a launch.

also it's kinda fun to an extent? usually with friends when i'm out there so we're out playing handhelds, chillin, drinking energy drinks and making friends with the local nerds. the cloud of hype that's over everyone there gives it a nice feeling

A friend and I waited like 10 hours in the cold for a Wii and it was actually a pretty fun experience, everyone had their DS and we had huge local games going with randoms.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
You pick up the console, a bunch of cross-gen ports, and maybe one iffy exclusive you wouldn't normally buy, but there are slim pickings so why not. You set up the console and look at a pretty barren UI because for some reason they threw the last 5 years of console updates from the last gen system in the trash and are starting over. You then start regretting your purchase because nothing really stands out, you might even return it and go back to the warmth of your last gen console. 8-12 months later some decent software starts trickling in that justifies the purchase and you're back in. I do it everytime.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Mixed... I got the PS4 day one and it was super exciting. Damn.. Next gen is here, a new console to unwrap, touch and play. I was glued to my window waiting for the delivery guy.

Then the realization that there is not that much to do with it at the moment. Resogun was great (actually one of my favorite games this gen), I liked Killzone and AC Black Flag was alright. Only Killzone gave me a feeling of next gen (-graphics). All in all the games at launch could have been much better.
Regarding the console itself.. if you look back how many features were added over the years, you realize it was kinda barebones at launch.

It highly depends on the launch games, I guess. That being said, I will buy the PS5 on day one no doubt.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Camped out for PS3 launch, spent one night at a Kmart to find out the next morning that only had 3 units in total, and was 12th in line. Went to a Target and was about to spend a rainy night, until a fight broke out and decided not to get shived for it. Went home and 4 days later got it randomly across the way from work. Played Resistance till about 3 in the morning. The OS was just like PSP which I had that summer, so it wasn't new or anything.

PS4 was pre-ordered, just went to horrific gamestop where the box was shoved into my hands, went home and played 2K + Killzone all night. Much easier experience.

New unit smell is the best.

Jan 21, 2019
Don't know really. Only experienced it once with the PS3 vicariously. The PS5 will be my first day 1 consoles. I'm pretty excited.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I got the PS4 day one, and it was underwhelming. I guess maybe the fact my parents wouldn't let me even go to the launch to get the console, and thus I didn't even get that experience (my step-dad did it for me, since I guess I had school and they wouldn't let me go because of that), nor did I even get to choose which games to get (I had only pre-ordered the console, he chose Killzone: Shadow Fall and Need For Speed: Rivals). I also didn't have an HDTV at the time, and thus I had to set it up via my parents' TV and as a result could only use it sparingly (I had hooked the PS3 to my CRT via composite). So yeah, not the best experience for me.
You sound like a spoiled kid.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The PlayStation 4 was the first console that I stood in line for and will probably be my last.

I love unboxing a brand new toy, and the PS4 was a real treat. It was one of the very few times where I actually had to break out the manual to figure out how to turn it on (weird placement of that capacitive button lol).

Once the novelty of the new plastic wore off though... That launch line-up was pretty bad, all things considered. Most of these games could have still been played on the consoles of previous generations and the two exclusives were lackluster. This was par for the course for the next year almost as barely any heavy hitters trickled out really enticing people to upgrade.

With all of that being said, I feel like this generation will be very different. With things like Xbox Game Pass, it would be smart for Microsoft to allow you to try almost all of their launch titles by having them all sign up for Game Pass distribution from day one, even if it is for only the first 3 months or so. Combined with backwards compatibility, it makes it much more attractive of a buy with both parties have indicated is happening to some extent. I am sure people would be much more inclined to purchase a PlayStation 5 on the first day, knowing they can continue playing their Final Fantasy XIV Online during the draughting periods of waiting for new titles.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, most launches aren't great, with the exception of switch (and that was still more like a month or two after launch), which had the advantage of being able to repurpose Wii U software, I've always had a long "now what?" Period after the initial purchase, because the launch games tend to be only ok and obviously limited in number. BN in general I've been happier with the purchases I waited for, so I'll be doing that for ps5 and similar too

Dhuggs_

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Never got a console day one. Usually would get them as a holiday gift or birthday gift. I got my PS4 around Christmas and played 2k NONSTOP so it never really hit me that most of the games that released with it weren't that great.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
The launches I've done have been fun, but I'm over the whole standing in line for hours thing. If that's what it takes to get something day one, no thanks.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
awesome and sometimes boring all at the same time...
It's like buying a tool that you can't use fully

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
It's boring, there's usually nothing but glorified tech demos to play.

Hyperfludd

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the Wii U at launch at the Nintendo World store, it was an experience I wouldn't exchange for the world. Met Reggie, met a lot of cool folks who also suffered the wait. I don't think I'd do it again now though.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
It's exciting and a little bit anticlimactic. You're ultimately buying the promise of something better, so after you play around in the menus and try a few launch games, you go back to dreaming about that next big game.

kalgore

Oct 29, 2017
I've only done it twice. PS2 and Switch. After Switch I've decided I am too old for this shit and I'll just pre-order on Amazon now. It is super fun getting your console right away. The con is waiting in line at a Walmart at 6:30am hoping they let you inside before you freeze.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing. Hands down one of the most enjoyable things ever, even when the console itself is lacking for whatever reason.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 was my first experience (had it delivered) and it was rather a letdown. The launch line up was dreadful after Watchdogs' original release was delayed, so I went out to get Killzone at full price & it's still the worst game I've played this gen.

I certainly won't be getting bitten twice should Sony fail to deliver a solid line up at launch.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dreamcast was the last (and only?) time I've ever done it. Good times.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
you stand out in a long line of people in the cold and then you get your box and go home and plug it in and then it has updates for your console and your game and then the servers don't work cause everyone else who was out in the cold is also trying to do what you're doing and then you're like damn it's 4am and i have work tomorrow and then you go to bed and wake up tired as fuck the next day.

This is pretty true.

Can't wait to do it again!

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing and everyone telling you it isn't is just trying to make you feel better. And what are you saving by waiting? $50? Who cares. Experience it all day 1.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Amazon sent me 2 ps4s on launch day instead 1 like I ordered, besides that its the same exact thing as getting it months later except you have less good games available and you spent more money

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Just don't go crazy on the launch games. Buy 2 at most. If you're buying any more than that, you're a victim of hype and will ultimately regret them.

Fusionfrenzy

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 2, 2019
You get all hyped, you play a new game which is sort of bare bones launch game but looks pretty, then you have nothing to play for a year but no urge to play any 'old' games you used to be really into on the previous console so you don't really play anything once you have messed with the settings a bit until years later when the console hits its stride.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
It's a great feeling at first but there's usually a huge drought till mid gen. I'm not gonna day 1 any more.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
At first it feels nice. But after a while you realize that the lineup is awful, the hardware faulty and you wasted a lot of money.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's like buying a console, but with less games available. And those few games you wanted are usually not released yet. lol

Granted, I didnt do the wait in line thing. Got it next day via delivery.

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
Long line, or staying up late to pick it up at midnight, or both.

Play a disappointing number of usually subpar launch day games and convince yourself THIS IS NEXT GEN

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
its exciting for the first week or so until you've realize that most of the launch games aren't great and there might be some initial flaws with the hardware. then the buyers remorse starts to set in.

next gen i think ill wait a year before picking up either of the systems.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
It's good. Just make sure there is at least one game you actually want to play. As long as that is the case I feel you won't be disappointed.
The worst is however a console launch where you just buy hardware and then start buying games you don't really want to play on it, just to use the thing.

I hope both next-gen consoles ship with something worthwhile.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
PS Vita and PS4 were the only consoles I've bought day 1 (and Pro but that's not a new platform)
You pay a lot of money to buy something that has like no good games to play, if it does then it's usually a multiplatform game that you can play elsewhere (like PC).

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Got my Wii Day 1 at a physical store -- I had it reserved but still arrived two hours before the store opened. Being first in line was neat but the euphoria quickly died out when I had trouble with the fishing motion in Twilight Princess.

The got the PS4 Day 1 but via Amazon. Waiting for the delivery to arrive was fun and downloading Resogun felt like a treat, but I don't remember much more than that.

Really, the best part is just the anticipation of pending bliss.

Jan 19, 2018
My day 1 consoles have been Xbox 360, PSP, 3DS, PS4 and Switch/ They were all a bit different, but they all had a few things in common.
  • Amazing smell
  • Fun to unbox, read the materials, look at components
  • Holding the controller for the first time is great. This was definitely a bright moment of the 360 & PS4 launches
  • Software updates :(
  • Playing in the settings longer than I should, but enjoying every minute of it
  • Playing the first game is always a fun time, even if it's a shit game. For example, I had a huge amount of fun playing Ridge Racer 3D, but it's honestly not such a great game

All that being said, I enjoy getting into a new console on day 1 if I'm actually excited to play it. In other cases, I don't mind waiting at all (Xbox One, PS3, etc.)
I don't go to stores anymore though, I really only order online. YMMV on actually getting the thing on day 1, though I've had success with Best Buy in Canada.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I love videogames, the hype, the feeling of experience next gen when it's new etc...

But it's often followed by a small disappointment. I remember playing bad games on my new 360 on my new hdready tv , secretly longing for those last ps2 games that where released ay the end of that generation.

You are not missing much the first 6 months/first year. There are on the other hand generally not that big of a pricedrop (3ds excluded) either so I tend to buy them at launch. Have prebooked both scarlet and ps5.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's always kind of disappointing, like "I spent all this money just to play this one not-that-great-but-graphically-impressive game."

I wait now.... feels really good to wait for a good deal on a console that has a library of 4 or 5 really amazing exclusives.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
100% accurate