• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Although I'm not a native English speaker, I think that I have a fairly good grasp on the language. I still find myself looking up words quite frequently though. Right now I'm sitting in the lab, and it sounds like there might be an air leak somewhere. In Swedish we have a word for the sound of pressurised gas leaking out, which is 'pysa' (it also refers to the act of the gas leaking out, as well as many other unrelated things). I don't know what I would say in English, and I actually couldn't find a good translation for it, though I wouldn't be surprised if there's a word.

Anyway, what's the last word you guys looked up? Maybe I can learn some interesting ones.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it counts but I was looking where to put the apostrophe in "je t'aime" which is more or less "I love you" in French

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Erudite as a suggestion to call ourselves on the new forum Eradites. I know what it means, but wanted the full complete definition.

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Bork"

My group member I've been working with didn't believe it was a real word so we looked it up.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Sycophant. Even though it also exists in french, it's not common at all, and I'd never heard the word before.

Not sure if it counts but I was looking where to put the apostrophe in "je t'aime" which is more or less "I love you" in French
Ho it's even better than that, it's exactly I love you in french.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I looked up "brown nosing" because I wanted to make sure it was the correct idiom in English. Then I used the word on a ResetEra post. Yay dictionaries!

Edit: Wait, no I didn't. I went for "spit polishing [...] shoes". Huh.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
thickset, I wanted to know how it compares to thick.
Seems there's no clear denotation with which represents a higher degree of thickness between both (or none that the online dictionaries I looked at could point to)

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
English is my first language (and my college major), but I frequently look up words to compare their actual meaning versus how they are used colloquially in conversation.

Can't really remember the last word I looked up, but it happens pretty frequently.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...the last thing I looked up was how to spell "villain". I kept typing out "villian" and my browser kept underlining it in red. Not sure why but the suggested corrections didn't show anything close to it. So I'm here thinking that Chrome is run by a bunch of morons who don't know what a "villian" is and then I Google it by itself to learn that...well, I'm the moron.