• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Probably that, but for straight up feed gameplay it's ratchet.

right, there's like a million things happening all at once.
It was really neat to see, and you might catch new things upon each playthrough.

On balance, I'd say DEMON'S SOULS because of the transition from the PS3 ver. to PS5 is remarkable.
They didn't have to go so far!! <3

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Scorn an Demon Souls are the two that made me do a double take, i dont know what yall see in Ratchet n Clank, game looks like a shinier ver of the PS4 Ratchet.

Edit: Ah yes i was blown away by Flight Sim as well cant even front lol

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
God of War will probably take it. From gameplay perspective, you're much closer to Kratos than other game in that list, so I expect Kratos model is going to be some of the most detailed game character model ever. Will go a long way to remind you how pretty the graphic is

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UE5 demo was straight up the most impressive (but not from a real game obviously). 2nd place is Microsoft Flight Sim. After that, I'd say Horizon 2.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I feel like I'd be more wowed by Demon's Souls if I was familiar with the original. As it stands, it looks fine, but not mindblowing IMO. I have to give it to Miles Morales, especially after seeing that gameplay footage of fighting Rhino in the mall

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Ratchet and Clank, the level of detail, and animations is unmatched, the game looks like CGI. I still need to see more Miles Morales gameplay, but that game too does look very impressive.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably between Ratchet and Demon's Souls for me. I was just super impressed by that initial Ratchet gameplay reveal and how much was happening on-screen at any given moment. The amount of NPC's running around in the middle of combat, the instant rift hopping, the particle effects, etc. It just looks phenomenal.

Graphically, I think Demon's Souls might take the cake so far though. The lighting and detail in the environments is pretty insane. Plus removing the load screens all around is such a huge boon to a Souls game and seeing that in action was impressive.

Miles Morales also looks really impressive, but it's more of a known commodity (with loads of improvements though to be fair) compared to Ratchet & Demon's so I think those two top it for me for now. Could change by the time I actually play it.

I can't really judge Horizon FW too much yet because we haven't seen pure gameplay yet, but I'm sure it'll look mindblowing too.

delete

Jul 4, 2019
I think the problem with Horizon Forbidden West is that it looks so good and because it's non gameplay people assume it's CG, I think when game play hits it will really take affect how good it is. Similar to what happened to the demon's souls remake.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Still Ratchet for me. The game looks phenomenal and has a cool usage for the SSD tech. Can't wait to play it when I finally am able to preorder a PS5 and the game is out.

Honorable in-engine mentions:
Horizon and Forza Motorsport, both of which looked insane and like a huge jump compared to current gen games in the same genre.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS Flight Sim literally made me gasp in awe. Nothing I've seen from other games has stopped me in my tracks, the scale of what's going on is unbelievable.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This year, for me, it looks like Demon Souls>Cyberpunk>Miles Morales>MS Flight Sim.

MS Flight Sim is very impressive, particularly at scale, although the detail does break down when you get close up as expected. Definitely the first next gen looking game released.

Next year so far:

R&C and Horizon are looking awesome.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Why, oh why don't they release HDR versions of their trailers. When is YouTube going to start switching between HDR and non HDR depending on what screen is connected?

Anyway, best footage is the Demon's Souls footage that's had HDR injected.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon looks good, but the fact that it also needs to run on ps4 has me anticipating some downgrades, maybe not quite as severe as halo infinites. For that reason, ratchet and clank, and demons souls are more impressive to me

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Will of the Wisps on Xbox Series X has a mode where the game internally renders at a 6k resolution and supersamples it down to 4k. I don't think there's going to be anything comparable in terms of image quality for some time. Get your LG OLED's ready! :D

Sep 7, 2020
Definitely has to be Demon Souls. I don't know if I should get the game because I don't necessarily enjoy the genre but it definitely is impressive.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Looking forward to see Demon's Souls non-performance mode, will be some serious eye candy for graphics whores like myself.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Will of the Wisps on Xbox Series X has a mode where the game internally renders at a 6k resolution and supersamples it down to 4k. I don't think there's going to be anything comparable in terms of image quality for some time. Get your LG OLED's ready! :D
Impressive! But highest image quality does not directly translate to overall most impressive visual showpiece. It's about effects, art, resolution lighting etc...but I ain't mad at that plug lol.

overall I'd still go Ratchet and clank # 1 with MS flight sim on Pc and Demons Souls Remake fight behind them. I think they will take the crown form TLoU2 and RDR2 for me.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
If we're talking Gameplay:

Demon's Souls

If we're talking "in-engine" cinematic:

Horizon II
Hellblade II

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The Touryst does the same.

wccftech.com

The Touryst Renders at 6K/4K on Xbox Series X/S; It Almost Looks Like a Good CGI Movie, Says Dev

Shin'en Multimedia confirmed to Wccftech that The Touryst internally renders at 6K resolution on Xbox Series X and 4K on Xbox Series S.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Overall it's still Hellblade 2 hands down (perhaps that marbles Nvidia demo tops it though) .

Gameplay I would say that there are a ton of contenders. To name a few: that Chinese game that made Ff16 look really bad, FS 2020, Control maxed out, Cyberpunk...

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
W5MjoKo.gif
Ah, the power of the PS4

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Definitely going to be trying this out, thanks for the heads up!

Jul 25, 2020
For actual games it's Demon's Souls and Flight Sim. They are both impressive for different reasons. Flight Sim for the sheer amount of scale, the incredible cloud and weather tech ; and Demon's Souls for the high geometry count, very high quality lighting, materials ,ao. The UE5 is the best looking thing but it's a tech demo.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
A lot of assumptions about what is and isn't actual game footage in here. Can you even get 'next-gen' PC games?

I'll say Watchdogs and Spiderman.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's still the UE5 demo. Now that is a generational leap.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing the game to wait for the XSX version and while I have a 4ktv, it doesn't support 120@4k so I will use this mode. Thanks.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Crazy to think that the 'weaker' console is pushing out better demonstrative gameplay footage than anything on the 'worlds most power console' (so far).

I am super-duper impressed with Demon's Souls and Miles Morales, and from what we have seen of both Horizon Forbidden West and Ratchet & Clank is genuinely remarkable for a game in its first year.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
The UE5 demo is definitely the most impressive. It's what I expect when I hear "generational leap." I'm just instantly wowed by it. Don't need side-by-side videos showing me the difference between rtx on and off, it's just instantly apparent that this thing is holy-fuck levels of different.

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
In terms of gameplay, Demon's Souls and Ratchet & Clank are by far the most impressive games we've seen.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing comes close to Demon's Souls. Makes sense, it isn't being held back by seven-year-old hardware.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet & Clank for next gen mechanics + graphics but in terms of just prettiness it is Demon's Souls and Horizon.

Last edited:

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Ratchet & Clank and Demon's Souls are the two for me...

Hard to get judge other games visually when all you have in-engine showcases.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Ratchet and Clank was shown with the 30fps mode, wasn't it? IMO 60fps feels so much better when actually playing it and I don't think I could pick a game running at 30fps for best looking.

I know it has a 60fps mode, but that's not what they showed us, was it?