• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
RDR2, i loved the first game, but i just can't get myself to play through the slog gameplay.

Dec 4, 2018
United Kingdom
Skyrim, of most Bethesda open world games. They have always been buggy. The conversations always felt "dead" to me. It's like every discussion or quest the person was disinterested or bored to just be there. They also always looked (and ran) like garbage. I remember I completed oblivion and I had no idea who this dude was who I basically one-shot. Turned out to be the last boss. Same with Skyrim last boss.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are fantastic but Zelda games. They all seem to get extra praise just because they are a Zelda game and most of the games have some big flaws such as: pacing, bosses aren't particularly good, the combat system is overly simple, reliance on formula for too long, the lack of Nintendo applying lessons learned from one game to another, lore is a complete mess, art direction is all over the place (WW & aLttP excluded from this), often full of bugs or run poorly, lack of voice acting for far too long then when implemented is a budget option, worlds often feel devoid of life with NPC's still feeling no different than they were on the SNES, poorly implemented story that is nothing more than serviceable, the writing is bad even for games, UI is ugly and cumbersome (though not too bad relatively), uses nostalgia as a crutch.

When you consider how prominent the Zelda franchise is and how big of a draw it is for Nintendo it could be so much more as they have a very good gameplay foundation and charm that people enjoy but for some reason critics overlook the rest which can often feel a few generations behind the competition.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Braid. Pretty much cemented my hatred for anything Jonathan Blow.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Uncharted 4. I saw a lot of praise for its story which I did not get because it was one that ultimately had no point and the tone was all over the place. It's like it wanted to be more serious and self reflective but didn't do anything other than take out the supernatural element to make me feel that way. The pacing was bad too. I'm one of those people who actually enjoy the climbing sections for the spectacle but they went on for far too long with nothing to really look at a lot of the time. You can cut out an hour of climbing and the game would have greatly improved from it since the whole game felt too long as well. I still liked it but some of the praise for it I truly don't understand.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
RDR2 is the last game I played where I really felt like I was missing something. It was barely a game...
I enjoyed my time with it, don't get me wrong. I just enjoyed the original RDR way more.

Oct 27, 2017
Since when was this overrated lol.

People will say anything to shit on it. FF XV was never overrated, it was correctly rated by both reviewers and general gamers. (Let's forget about Era that hates it with a passion)

Everyone knows the flaws of the game, everyone never thought it was game of the generation or whatever.

Honestly i feel like Bloodborne was overrated. It's called game of the generation but it is "just" a great game like DS III was. Dark Souls 1 still is on another level.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Red Dead Redemption 2. I loved the first one, but the second one is so damn slow and boring. I might give it another chance, but I couldn't play it anymore.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
GTA3.

It was hailed as the second coming of Christ when it came out. Popular opinion of its greatness was so ferocious, Edge magazine had to state their 6/10 score was a printing mistake when it was clearly not. I couldn't!t be more bored with that game if I tried and you paid me to. Never touched a GTA since so I can't generalize the comment to the whole series.

Oct 28, 2017
GTA3.

It was hailed as the second coming of Christ when it came out. Popular opinion of its greatness was so ferocious, Edge magazine had to state their 6/10 score was a printing mistake when it was clearly not. I couldn't!t be more bored with that game if I tried and you paid me to. Never touched a GTA since so I can't generalize the comment to the whole series.
GTA3 WAS the second coming of christ. It changed the landscape of the industry it's impact cant be understated. Not a perfect game by any means, but it absolutely deserved all the praise it recieved on release.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne. It was done already but die hard fans speak like it's such an innovation and go on to measure every other action game against it.

"I can't play games anymore!"

"It's ruined games for me!"

Lmao.

Jan 10, 2018
So you all hate every game?
Why are you even in this forum?

1. There's no consensus shown in this thread. Everyone has their own unique opinion.

2. Stating that something is overrated is not the same as saying something is bad.

3. A forum is meant to inspire debate and there's no reason for debate if everyone is happy and agree with everything.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Skyrim. It doesn't play well, it's buggy and the quests/world aren't that interesting to me. Dragon Age: Origins is a much better game.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

For things like Breath of the Wild, Red Dead and GTA I can see why people think the reviews were wildly inflated but there are still a load of people who consider them their favourite games of all time, so I can understand it.

For Super Mario Odyssey no one ever seems to be particularly gunning for it. People agree it's great but few defend it's honour in the way people do for other games mentioned so far in this thread.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
GTA3 WAS the second coming of christ. It changed the landscape of the industry it's impact cant be understated. Not a perfect game by any means, but it absolutely deserved all the praise it recieved on release.
Oh yes, definitely (and to a degree I often regret, because it steered gaming in a direction I'm not terribly fond of).

But this is something we can say in retrospect. What baffled me at the time was that virtually no press outlet and no single person I knew who played the game would find a fault in it. It seemed like it was really the most fun a video game ever gave the human race ever. I know there really wasn't anything comparable at the time, but a game being revolutionary doesn't equate to the game being universally praised and liked, and yet I genuinely felt the only person in the world who couldn't find it entertaining in the slightest.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Among critics it was GTAIV, there was something very odd and suspicious about the way it was reviewed relative to how fans received it.

Among fans I don't think it's fair to call something overrated just because others like it more than me. BOTW is probably the game I like least of the most highly heralded but I can understand what some enjoy in it, it's just a type of game I don't like in the slightest rather than it being flawed.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'll probably go with BotW too.
I'm playing it right now for the first time, and even if I'm enjoying it somewhat I'm actually struggling with actually finishing it.
I usually just play it in shorter bursts while listening to podcast because I get so bored of it otherwise.
Not to mention there's pretty much no story, no real temples and the world just seem so lifeless overall. More often than not while I'm playing, I'm just finding myself wishing Nintendo would port Skyward Sword or Wind Waker HD to Switch so I could play that instead..

Well, really glad that I didn't buy a switch on release now at least, wow would that have been dissapointing.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

For things like Breath of the Wild, Red Dead and GTA I can see why people think the reviews were wildly inflated but there are still a load of people who consider them their favourite games of all time, so I can understand it.

For Super Mario Odyssey no one ever seems to be particularly gunning for it. People agree it's great but few defend it's honour in the way people do for other games mentioned so far in this thread.

Odyssey is the best Mario game since Galaxy 2, so i would gladly defend it but there is no need.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher 3. I have no idea how a AAA franchise about hunting and killing monsters can have such absolute garbage tier combat. It baffles the mind.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne. It was done already but die hard fans speak like it's such an innovation and go on to measure every other action game against it.

"I can't play games anymore!"

"It's ruined games for me!"

Lmao.
1. Where was it done already? Please point to that game, I'd love to play it.
2. People still getting triggered over that lighthearted article that most definetly wasn't talking about every game ever is indeed hilarious.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
The Last of Us. Clunky controls, cliched story, run of the mill repetitive gameplay. Another victim of Videogame consumers desperately looking for their Citizen Kane.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
1. Where was it done already? Please point to that game, I'd love to play it.
2. People still getting triggered over that lighthearted article that most definetly wasn't talking about every game ever is indeed hilarious.

1. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2.

2. I wasn't referring to any articles.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Damn some of the answers in this thread.

I think a good answer for this might be GTA IV. An extremely highly rated game that seemed to constantly have its 10/10 scores questioned

Oct 27, 2017
This generation probably Breath of the Wild or God of War. Overall Mass Effect 2. It's an overall ok game that fails to do anything great except having Mordin and Legion as characters.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
People saying Bloodborne prolly never got passed cleric beast and never got the satisfaction of mastering parrying

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
1. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2.

2. I wasn't referring to any articles
Love Bloodborne, but let's not pretend it's not a faster-paced take on the already established Souls formula.
Sorry but none of those games have the fast paced combat, trick weapons or that gorgeous setting, artstyle, soundtrack plus way more interesting lore. It does all those things better than any of the previous games, and is on par with DS 1 when it comes to leveldesign, which means best in gaming.

It's distinctive enough in a lot of areas, and I vastly prefer it over the other games for a multitude of reasons. So no, it hasn't been done before. Acting like Bloodborne is as much of an iteration on the franchise as DS2 is to DS1 is ridiculous. The theme alone is realized better than in any other game that attempted it before.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but none of those games have the fast paced combat, trick weapons or that gorgeous setting, artstyle, soundtrack plus way more interesting lore. It does all those things better than any of the previous games, and is on par with DS 1 when it comes to leveldesign, which means best in gaming.

It's distinctive enough in a lot of areas, and I vastly prefer it over the other games for a multitude of reasons. So no, it hasn't been done before. Acting like Bloodborne is as much of an iteration on the franchise as DS2 is to DS1 is ridiculous. The theme alone is realized better than in any other game that attempted it before.

Well that's your opinion. I vastly preferred Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 over it, both of those games had better build variety and soundtracks.

Bloodborne did do some really cool things with combat but basically played the same as a Souls game. In terms of environments nothing from BB came close to Blight Town to the Great Hollow Tree to Ask Lake for me - that sequence was amazing.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Easily BOTW, moreso on Era.

The game had great ideas and I respect Nintendo for trying to refresh the series buy they went to far.

- Mostly bland world map
- Not enough reward for exploration
- Weapon degradation doesn't actually add anything to the game. Add enemies that require different types of weapon use to beat instead
- Copy & paste shrines that out stay there welcome
- Horses are pointless
- Poor enemy variety
- Not enough dungeons
- Cooking should have been much better with a cookbook for discovered recipes
- Not being able to climb in the rain isn't fun at all, it has a negative effect on the gameplay. At least provide gloves / gear that negates that.

I'm hoping the next Zelda takes all the best parts of BOTW and mixes it with the old. As it stands BOTW is a solid 7/10, and nowhere near a 10.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I agree but was it influential because it was good or was it influential because it made so much money? I tend to go with the latter.
The Last of Us. Clunky controls, cliched story, run of the mill repetitive gameplay. Another victim of Videogame consumers desperately looking for their Citizen Kane.

Every time I see Citizen Kane used in reference to games I swear the people using it haven't watched that film or don't understand its cultural relevance and its influence in cinema.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
It has got to be Nier automata, at least on Era it's overrated.

Gameplay is not even close to previous platinum games , and the story is just fine. I just ended up reading up on the different endings since A was already a mission for me.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Breath of the Wild.

I honestly don't get it. The story quests are awful. Visually the art style is nice but nothing else is. Performance isn't great. The world is dead and boring. The shrines are repetitive.

I didn't hate the game, but damn, what a disappointment.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well that's your opinion. I vastly preferred Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 over it, both of those games had better build variety and soundtracks.

Bloodborne did do some really cool things with combat but basically played the same as a Souls game. In terms of environments nothing from BB came close to Blight Town to the Great Hollow Tree to Ask Lake for me - that sequence was amazing.
I played through DS1 5 times and yes, it has better build variety, but every single trick weapon is more interesting than 5 DS weapons combined. And with all the builds DS1 has, nothing comes close to be able to transform into broccoli, spewing maggots at people and hitting shit with tentacles. It's a clear cut case of quality over quantity for me. "Basically" is some really broad term. The entire way you approach fights has changed thanks to the faster pace, rallying system, lack of a shield and general enemy behaviour, so in my view it's not "basically" the same.

For me Central Yharnam plus the Cathedral Ward, as well as the Research Hall came close for sure, and stuff like the shortcut from the Lost Woods to the clinic at the start of the game is just something else entirely.