• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
See I don't think it deserves overrated, the game still holds up well even today, its innovation is huge too spawning games like dead space and gears of war, I get that it helped ruin RE franchise with 5,6 but capcom at least brought it back, people say the game isn't horror enough but the horror in this game is so unique that its a different kind of horror not a city or police station of mansion but an old village (which I think is the best part of the game)

I can agree with that. I love the Dead Space games (for the most part). RE4 influenced a lot of people including Neil Druckmann for The Last of us. So it has something good going for it. To me it is just sad that this revolutionary change of style completely devoured the old games and they were never to be seen again. Sadly they didn't even have a fixed camera option for RE2Remake, but I guess the game wouldn't work with fixed camera angles anyways.

NeroPaige

Jan 8, 2018
overrated: Rdr2, uncharted 2, Horizon Zero Dawn,

midly overrated: bloodborne, re2

I was thinking of adding Witcher 3 but plenty people slam the gameplay like it's no secret. Plenty people aren't afraid to say God of War isn't all that either.

From my perspective, most triple A games this gen are "overrated" lol. GOW, RDR2, Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn and more, I had little to no enjoyment playing these 10/10 titles.

I agree except Witcher 3, it was sorta criticized openly from people who played it.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Regarding Botw, in my encounters with people who find it overrated I tend to notice 2 things many times. The folks who feel this way tend to primarily be PlayStation gamers and they are big fans of story driven and cinematic style games, which is the PS4 bread and butter. (Obviously not always the case)

Not to say you can't have games that do both well.

I'm primarily a PlayStation person but Zelda is one of my top 3 series of all time. I just thought BoTW was trash and in no way an actual Zelda game. /shrug. Literally the only Zelda I quit playing.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Zelda Breath of the wild. Some shit tier combat, I honestly can't think of a single good thing to say about the game beside it sort of looks pretty at the time.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2, most overrated game of the forever. The PR dept did an insane job at selling it as the second coming of Jesus to both the press and the gamers.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I don't like to think games are overrated, people just like different things. But it's literally just GTA4. Like I still can't believe the scores it got. It was deintiely a case of next gen GTA hype. I cannot accept that game is an all time great, it's far from it.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn

Boring combat and typical repetitive open world tedium.

Beautiful game though.
My god I thought I was the only one. I've been trying to get into it but the game has no damn personality. Paint by numbers open world.

Uncharted 4. I saw a lot of praise for its story which I did not get because it was one that ultimately had no point and the tone was all over the place. It's like it wanted to be more serious and self reflective but didn't do anything other than take out the supernatural element to make me feel that way. The pacing was bad too. I'm one of those people who actually enjoy the climbing sections for the spectacle but they went on for far too long with nothing to really look at a lot of the time. You can cut out an hour of climbing and the game would have greatly improved from it since the whole game felt too long as well. I still liked it but some of the praise for it I truly don't understand.
OMG it got rid of the supernatural element? That was my most hated part of UC1 and UC2. Hmmm.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who didn't like RDR2, I still have to disagree with the characterization of it being overrated. For all of its many, many faults - it has a world that is completely unparalleled by anything else I've played.

For me - the Soulsborne games. Sorry guys, I tried and couldn't get into both Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
BOTW without a doubt. It's not even a good Zelda game.

Lackluster dungeons + Ubisoft game design + Nintendo Polish

Demon's Souls in 2009 did what people claim BOTW did in 2017. Hell, Far Cry 3 in 2012 did what people claim BOTW did in 2017. Shadow of the Colossus in 2005 did what people claim BOTW did in 2017.
...what...what are you even talking about? What did Demon's Souls do that people claim BOtW did?

You know what, let's stop that right here anyway, can't take anybody who calls BotW Ubisoft game design seriously.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people in this thread think overrated automatically means you think it's bad or you don't like it when it just means you think it's rated higher than it deserves.

My pick is any mainline Pokemon game. These all came out in my adult life and if you don't have those playground memories of them, they really aren't top tier RPGs.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3, its a game that gets so much hyperbole praise and from playing it, I just dont get it.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Resident Evil 4. It's just a polished up Devil's Third at this point. GOAT? Give me a break - it's barely a solid 6/10.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. This mediocre ass game in every way imaginable is supposed to be the best game ever? Seriously?

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Literally a poverty-stricken substitute for people who didn't get the chance to play Super Metroid.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
This gen? Definitely God of War. Unsatisfying exploration/back tracking, fetch quests, bland puzzles, superfluous skill trees & loot, a severe lack of enemy variety, and while the combat did a nice job conveying a sense of weight and providing satisfying feedback to the player, the actual encounter design, boss fights especially, left a lot to to be desired.

I genuinely tried several times to enjoy it but can't understand why people think this is special, in anyway. The Baldur fight early on sorta encapsulates the bulk of the experience for me -- cheap thrills & twists, The Game. The set pieces are well directed, I will say that.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
...what...what are you even talking about? What did Demon's Souls do that people claim BOtW did?

You know what, let's stop that right here anyway, can't take anybody who calls BotW Ubisoft game design seriously.
Demon's Souls did the minimal storytelling exploration people claim BoTW was first to do. They even perfected it with Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. Idk where people who say BoTW was groundbreaking in this regard have been.

It's Ubisoft open world inspired game design. Climbing towers? Crafting? Hunting? This is all stuff Far Cry 3 popularized.

To be clear, I think BoTW is a decent game. My problem is the people who act like it's the first to do everything. It's a mixture of modern game design.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong Country 2 for the SNES.

You heard me. Its a good platformer but its not the best of all time.

Now Yoshi's Island on the other hand...

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
User warned: System warring.
BoTW and Mario Odyssey in my opinion, but it makes sense because this is a very Nintendo centric forum, as GAF was before it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Demon's Souls did the minimal storytelling exploration people claim BoTW was first to do. They even perfected it with Dark Souls and Bloodbourne. Idk where people who say BoTW was groundbreaking in this regard have been.

It's Ubisoft open world inspired game design. Climbing towers? Crafting? Hunting? This is all stuff Far Cry 3 popularized.

To be clear, I think BoTW is a decent game. My problem is the people who act like it's the first to do everything. It's a mixture of modern game design.
I've not once seen somebody claim BoTW did the minimalist storytelling first. Like, not even once.

Climbing towers? More like having to approach every tower differently. The towers also do entirely differnt things. Ubisoft towers plaster your map with icons. BotW towers uncover the topography alone and their biggest use they have is to use them as vantage points for your next destination. It has barely anything to do with Ubisoft design and this surface level of looking at it like: "towers =towers" is the exact dismissive attitude that makes discussing these things annoying as hell.

Nobody ever said BotW did crafting or hunting first. Stop making up strawmen please.

Yes, it's a mixture of modern game design. Nobody claimed it did "everything" first. What it did first was it's open world design itself. The way you traverse with gliders, shieldsurfing and runes, the topography and points of interest like said topography or shrines, forming a cohesive whole that lets you get around without waypoints and other shit that is in pretty much in every other open world game.

Last edited:

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I can usually find something to enjoy or at least understand why people like a game. I don't understand how anyone could play TES Oblivion and have fun, it's unbearably bad. I thought Skyrim was decent, FO3 was playable and FO New Vegas was really good. It's just Oblivion that was terrible. And yet it got GOTY awards everywhere.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I've not once seen somebody claim BoTW did the minimalist storytelling first. Like, not even once.

Climbing towers? More like having to approach every tower differently. The towers also do entirely differnt things. Ubisoft towers plaster your map with icons. BotW towers uncover the topography alone and their biggest use they have is to use them as vantage points for your next destination. It has barely anything to do with Ubisoft design.
Nobody ever said BotW did crafting or hunting first. Stop making up strawmen please.

Yes, it's a mixture of modern game design. Nobody claimed it did "everything" first. What it did first was it's open world design itself. The way you traverse with gliders, shieldsurfing and runes, the topography and points of interest like said topography or shrines, forming a cohesive whole that lets you get around without waypoints and other shit that is in pretty much in every other open world game.
It feels like a mish mash of game design tropes, which made it feel a bit lackluster to me. Especially when Nintendo games are usually more distinct and doing their own thing. It makes it even more disappointing when the "Zelda" aspect of the game was quite underwhelming. It's a decent game altogether, but nothing about it warrants the level of praise it gets.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Donkey Kong Country 2 for the SNES.

You heard me. Its a good platformer but its not the best of all time.

Now Yoshi's Island on the other hand...

You, good Era poster, have made an enemy this day.

Wait, you're no poster, you're a Kremling!

600cd381942d1ab1b1d52f7edde3ef99.gif

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like a mish mash of game design tropes, which made it feel a bit lackluster to me. Especially when Nintendo games are usually more distinct and doing their own thing. It makes it even more disappointing when the "Zelda" aspect of the game was quite lackluster.
I wholeheartedly agree with the not enough Zelda part. I missed dungeon specific items and longer, themed dungeons.

But you not even being able to discern between Ubisoft and BotW towers shows me that you are not willing to look at these things more than at a surface level. It did something entirely new with it's open world itself, it's mechanics and systems. That's not made up bullshit, that's something even people who know something about gamedesign (ergo devs) agree on.

You don't have to agree, but frankly I'm tired to talk about this game with people who don't give a shit to begin with. Half your post was strawmen about people thinking BOTW did crafting or minimalist sotrytelling first. These people don't exist and you know it.

Last edited:

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
The only game is Grand Theft Auto IV, but not because of the general praise it gets. I understand why people liked it - I myself had loads of fun with the online portion. It's the number of perfect scores it received that still has me mystified. The lack of checkpoints alone killed GTAIV's single player; it's too punishing for the way Rockstar designs their games. Your ammo and health aren't replenished when you restart a mission, so unless you want to risk dying again and doing it all over, you have to drive somewhere to refill your health, and then drive somewhere to restock your ammo. Then you still have to drive to the mission start point, skip the cutscene, sit through a long and tedious driving section, and then two summers later, you're finally at the part you died at. Frankly, I don't recall many of those glowing reviews highlighting how flawed the system was, but perhaps it was only a big deal to me. I found the combat and player movement equally as bothersome, too. I can't think of any open world character that I've had less fun controlling than Niko. Rockstar has gotten a lot better since 2008; GTAV and both Red Dead Redemption games were a big step up from GTAIV, although, ironically, none of them were rated as highly.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Borderlands and GTA series. Borderlands never clicked with me, and I tried...hard. GTA is poison, call me old-fashion.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I agree Cyberpunk doesn't look that interesting and I guarantee you the game won't look like what they showed off in the trailers and gameplay, I never played the witcher so im not sure how much my opinion matters but from the looks of it the combat looks terrible i'd rather just play skyrim and thats saying something cause combat isn't very fluid in that.
Yeah, but skyrim is also overrated. Check mate

Deleted member 49535

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
A lot of people in this thread think overrated automatically means you think it's bad or you don't like it when it just means you think it's rated higher than it deserves.

My pick is any mainline Pokemon game. These all came out in my adult life and if you don't have those playground memories of them, they really aren't top tier RPGs.
The first ones were good. After that Gamefreak has become one of the least creative studios in the industry. Every new game is basically the same game except it takes away the good features of the previous one (instead of removing the bad stuff) with a new coat of paint.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Most recently?

Breath of the Wild. It was not my first open world game and I got tired of it fast. The weapon system is dumb. The traversal slow. The exploration not rewarding.

I hope the next BOTW will be better.