• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoy seeing new storefronts and how platform-holders push games on their store fronts.

The past ten years have provided every platform-holder with a wealth of user data that we'll see put to good use in their new digital stores on Xbox/PS5.

How will games be categorized? What will their tiles look like? How will recommendation algorithms work? Will bundling be a thing? In the case of GamePass, will we see hand-curated recommendations, rather than just those driven by algorithms? I love seeing the logic behind a lot of this stuff.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Opening the box and savouring the lovely fragrance of new electronics ;)

Other than that, seeing the first start up and UI for the first time, and booting up the first game.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Just opening the box, plugging the system in and taking it for a test drive, I guess. New hardware is always exciting.

A quick google search shows a bunch of videos but can't find an article lol

I don't think anything has been confirmed besides PS4 BC at this point in time. I would love PS3 BC as well though, as it's a system I currently have a lot of games for, but no real way of playing them (aside from maybe emulation).

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Short load times. It's such a small thing but it makes a huge difference. I feel like all the games i have played recently have 1 minute+ load screens. Monster Hunter, Fallen Order, No Man's Sky, the list goes on. The other day during a 1 hour gaming session i kept track and i was at loading screens for over 15 min of that hour. Ok maybe this isn't that silly, it's certainly what I'm looking forward to most.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
- Console ars are always fun in the beginning. Who is doomed?

Also, The Great World PC vs Consoles War is brewing.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im excited for the haptics in the PS5 controller. Could be really cool if implemented well.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be excited if the PS5 has true backwards compatibility in the way the Wii, DS or PS3 did.
What you can do on the Xbox One is better than nothing, but needing to download a new executable and check a compatibility list doesnt do much for letting me unhook the 360.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People are wild on the teraflops, 4K, three million FPS and all that, but I'm mostly excited about two things:

- Xbox turning into an ecosystem, which will let me buy the new generation at my own pace.
- PS5 backwards compatibility with the PS3 games, because I fucking want to play Haze and maybe I'll play MGS3 and I don't want to buy a PS3.

What are those little things that other people might not get that you look forward to in the new generation?
Lmao

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Not having to buy new, extra controllers at ÂŁ50 a pop.
*edit ok if it's sillyness, then I look forward to the memes.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
The controllers. Can't wait to get my hands on a DS5 that hopefully has grip buttons by default; should nearly be the ideal PC gamepad at that point.

Pelao

Banned
Jan 7, 2020
Chile
I'm eager to see if the extra processing power will give birth to new and exciting mechanics that were previously impossible.
But to answer your question about silly things: GRAPHICS, give me those sweet sweet graphics.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Boot up sound and UI
People speculating about it before release

Don't really get excited about new console generations though...
I get excited about new games (independent of generation)

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The box design of both the games and the systems.

Also going through the menu's and seeing what options do what, but I think most people are like that.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
I love what is Xbox doing.

For Next-Gen

I have over 12 Xbox One controllers - and with the Series X - All of them will work without any issues. I just love that. In fact all my Xbox One accesories working on the Series X, that is just wow. Makes me happy - I don't have to spend extra money on getting new controllers.

PlayStation 5 - Well all that is confirmed is that it'll play all PS4 games, that is a relief. I have insane amount of PS4 games digitally. So I am glad they won't go to a waste - Although I keep all my previous consoles and never trade, this still makes it easier for me to have all my games on one console.

For Current-Gen

At launch I was very excited for recording game play and taking pics of the game and posting them and all. I am not a PC gamer so I never did capture cards but having to do all that at ease with my consoles was just super exciting.

Also the fact that I could press the home button and go to dashboard without ending the game. - The fact that Xbox One let me use multiple Apps and games at the same time is still mind blowing. Even right now during my Rainbow Six matches, at times it takes too long to get into a match - I just start playing Trials and let my friends know when we are starting a new game and then I switch back. This is something very simple - but an exciting feature for me

The next feature is useful for gamers who have more than one console
Also Xbox One online integration is light years ahead - Their auto saves for game files are just WOW - I have 3 Xbox Ones all around the house - And if I am playing a certain game in my bedroom and I want to just switch to the basement, I can literally just shut the console and go down and start up and just start playing from where I left - I cannot do that with PS4 (With that ease - With PS4, I have to make sure I save the game, then exit the game and then click on the game with options button and go to "upload save files" and then prompt it to copy over the files and then wait (for certain games it takes up to 10 minutes) and then go down stairs and highlight the game and press option and go to upload and download files and then download them and then start the game. ALL of that is not needed as Xbox Live is always synced to the cloud - Makes my life easier.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haptic feedback on the Dualshock 5.

I've been enjoying the HD Rumble on Switch constantly so more of that is always welcome.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Just having a new console at the same time as everyone else and being the first people to see it, that sounds fun.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The midnight launch! I've been doing these for ages and they're always a ton of fun. That ritual of lining up, striking conversations with other excited people in line, talking about games you're getting, what you're looking forward to, whether you'll be lining up for other systems, etc...

And then finally picking it up at midnight, getting home and hooking it up and staying up until 3am just to get a taste of what the next-gen is all about... Lovely. I've been doing it since the Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii days and it's one of my favorite things.

Last edited:

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Hopefully BC having a boost mode/BC titles hitting the peak of their dynamic framerate/resolution targets on new hardware. Sekiro, Dark Souls 3 etc

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Setting up the console and exploring the UI at the start. I love looking at different UI's. If it's just the PS4 one again but slightly improved then bleh.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Psvr 2 and it's games. I've been very satisfied with the vr library so far and they're all first generation. I want to see Sony double down.

Edit: oh! The silliest thing. What a difference a word makes. Uhhhhh.... Idk. I guess the launch hype.

Last edited:

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
My roommate brought his PS3 with him and we just set it up. It's a second revision, so it lacks all the useless storage ports on the front and PS2 BC, but it's also a huge space hog with a tiny HDD. And yet, this nearly 13 year old system has a DualShock 3 that's in damn near immaculate condition.

Meanwhile, a brand new DS4 I bought a month ago came out of the box with a mushy triangle button and analog sticks that make cracking noises when tilted.

I bought a new DS4 after mangling my old one following a Sekiro marathon. New one's shoulder buttons became "floaty" after 2 weeks. They need to do better.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I love new console setup. Plugging the cords in, getting that fresh "welcome" screen. Entering information. Syncing with my PSN / XBL name. Downloading updates. I love it all.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
My next gen wish that came true: suspend/resume multiple games. That alone has me more hyped than anything, lol.

Setting up the console and exploring the UI at the start. I love looking at different UI's. If it's just the PS4 one again but slightly improved then bleh.
I love new console setup. Plugging the cords in, getting that fresh "welcome" screen. Entering information. Syncing with my PSN / XBL name. Downloading updates. I love it all.
I do too. Who needs teraflops when you got this?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Something that gets overlooked a lot is what will the new game cases look like? A new generation always has fresh designs for the cases and we've had some real standouts in the past like the white Wii cases. Like, will PS5 go back to PS2 black and what will the design be like?

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I'm expecting/hoping for a blazing increase in UI speed due to the SSD's and huge increase in CPU power. Not sure if this counts as little but yeah. I'm dreaming of how cool and "next gen" just flipping around menu's could be. Dont screw it up, Microsoft.

That combined with hopefully the lack of game loading the platform holders are selling, hopefully it's real. I dont count that as "little" though.

Oct 28, 2017
The chaos leading up to launch is a highlight in itself.

Like that one dude who won that defective PS4 from Taco Bell and livestreamed himself trying to fix it.