• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7529

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
170117_bomberman_7.jpg

Back when it released, I remember Super Bomberman R getting blown up over issues like poor camera options and a lack of content compared to previous (cheaper) entries. As a longtime Bomberman fan and someone looking to purchase a Nintendo Switch in the near future, were many of these issues addressed in the plethora of updates that followed? How does the game fare now? Is it worth the asking price?

Wardemon

Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to knowing this,
I bought my switch this month and still holding the purchase until i make sure they fixed it or at least until i can get it with a good discount!

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
This is only second hand information, but I heard it's pretty damn good now. They fixed a lot of issues and brought out more content. It's now the highest selling Bomberman ever.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's alright I guess.
They added a lot of maps and characters for free and tweaked gameplay and performance.

I still have trouble to find some online matches, even more full matches, and lag is still present sometimes... go figure how Splatoon and MK8D are doing it lag free !

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Konami added a whole bunch of free character DLC and fixed the lag when playing online. The game has a story mode but it's pretty short. I enjoyed playing it near launch but unless you have a group that you can play with on a regular basis it's hard to recommend at full price.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
They have fixed just about all the issues that were present at launch. Most importantly, it's now pretty easy to unlock new characters, which was pretty much impossible in the launch version.

There's also lots of content, in terms of single player campaign and multiplayer stuff. A $30 price tag the game would seem fair IMO.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I enjoyed it, but my favourite is still Super Bomberman 5. There's a bunch of small nitpicks I have with the game, but the main one that bugs me its unlock system. By playing the game, you earn coins which you can use to buy more characters, character customisation options, and new stages. This sounds good in theory, because it adds an extra layer of rewards to just messing around in the game, but unfortunately it doesn't quite work that well in practice. Everything in the shop is way too expensive, and coins trickle in slowly. It feels like it was balanced like a mobile game with in-app purchases. It kills any drive you'd have to want to unlock things, and hinder's the game's momentum. The plan was obviously to increase the longevity, but it had the opposite effect on me.

I still bust it out whenever I have people over though, and we have a good time with it pretty consistently.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it, but my favourite is still Super Bomberman 5. There's a bunch of small nitpicks I have with the game, but the main one that bugs me its unlock system. By playing the game, you earn coins which you can use to buy more characters, character customisation options, and new stages. This sounds good in theory, because it adds an extra layer of rewards to just messing around in the game, but unfortunately it doesn't quite work that well in practice. Everything in the shop is way too expensive, and coins trickle in slowly. It feels like it was balanced like a mobile game with in-app purchases. It kills any drive you'd have to want to unlock things, and hinder's the game's momentum. The plan was obviously to increase the longevity, but it had the opposite effect on me.

I still bust it out whenever I have people over though, and we have a good time with it pretty consistently.

After the last update you can grind out coins pretty fast. It's not nearly as time consuming as it was at launch.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

But this was pretty much fixed IMO. You could set up a 1 vs. 1 match for a win in less than a minute that quite quickly gained you the money to unlock the characters. There's not that much grinding time needed to unlock all the characters now.

Oct 26, 2017
This is one game I think NEEDS a re-review. The game's been patched many times with many improvements. I can legit seeing the Metacritic becoming around the 80's now if it came out today. Or at least 75.

Zevenberge

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of regret my purchase. I don't feel like I can control my character well enough to be able to place bombs with high accuracy. More often than not I die due to a misplaced bomb, as the character stands on two tiles and the game picks one to drop the bomb on (and it is really hard to only stand on one tile). This doesn't make the single-player fun to play at all - you are constantly afraid of screwing up over tactically beating a boss (who miraculously always places bombs on the correct tiles).
Nevertheless, played it in co-op recently and has a blast. But yeah, there are better games out there that offer more fun for a lower price.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's fun, especially with local people. I'm surprised by the amount of updates it has been getting, but that's a good thing.

Pandy

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Been having a lot of fun playing the co-op campaign with a buddy. It's a glorious mess trying to co-ordinate bombs, and the game plays on it, mixing levels that reward methodical clearance with ones that force you to scramble just to survive.

Can't speak much for the multiplayer, other than it being tricky to get a game online reliably. I'm happy to have another in my collection which can take full advantage of the Switch controllers I have for local multiplayer if/when the need arises, which it might well over the holidays.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
OP
OP

Deleted member 7529

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for all the detailed replies, everyone! It sounds like a lot of issues have been addressed and those that haven't probably won't hinder my enjoyment too much. I'll be playing the game mostly with my roommates who are also Bomberman fans, so the majority of our time will be spent locally rather than online.

Is there a figure on how big the patches are total? I'm normally against purchasing games that patch in loads of content, but I have a feeling that Konami won't put out a "Deluxe" version of this title.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
It's not worth full price. If you can get it for £15 it's worth the plunge as multiplayer is great fun (Local play is the limit of my experience).

Maiar_m

Oct 26, 2017
France
Price is steep but it's still a very very enjoyable local multiplayer game, and if that's not the reason you're into Bomberman in the first place, then I can't help you.

dragonlife

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super fun locally. I had great success with varying ages and skill level--some of the people don't even play games.

I even have fun 1v1 online with a friend. There's some lag sometimes, mostly slight input lag, which is bad for this kind of game, but if you're just playing to have fun, it's not too bad.

They've fixed a lot of stuff from launch, and there will be new characters and a game mode coming out at a later date. I don't regret my purchase at all as a Bomberman fan. I just wish it were $10-$20 cheaper to bring in new blood.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Konami has done a great job updating it. The controls were not super responsive at launch and it was definitely lacking content. Content is still a little on the thin side, but they fixed the control issues and made a lot of other good QoL updates.

Overall, if you are a pretty big Bomberman fan and plan on putting in some time in MP, I'd recommend it. Otherwise, you are better off waiting for a sale.