• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Worst 3D Zelda game?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 82 3.2%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 160 6.2%
  • Wind Waker

Votes: 205 8.0%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 427 16.7%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 1,260 49.1%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 219 8.5%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 211 8.2%

• Total voters

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see what Era thinks.

I was thinking Wind Waker for being blatantly unfinished and including a lot of the worst parts of the series (forced stealth, sailing, the whole latter part of the game being a fetch quest, etc.), but try as I might I still don't hate all of that stuff as much as the motion control shit from Skyward Sword. Felt like it made everything into a tedious minigame, even when the Wiimote worked (and the damn thing desynced like every 5 minutes.) So that gets my vote.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I have a feeling Skyward Sword will win/lose, much to my chagrin and sadness. Really like that one.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Skyward Sword will win this poll and it probably should win this poll, but from a personal standpoint it's BoTW. Not that I think the game sucked or it was a bad game, it just wasn't the Zelda I wanted. If we go by literally the worst game, it's Skyward Sword by a million miles.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It's... actually OoT for me.

Playing it after all the others made it feel a bit bland in comparison even though I do recognize the influence

Then again this basically asking "which five star restaurant is the worst?"

motherless

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Skyward Sword and Majora's Mask are the bottom for me. I voted Skyward Sword due to the horrible controls.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Skyward Sword

Even if there were things about it I liked it's the only 3D Zelda I've played just once. I'm team "remake without motion controls" so I'd try it again at that point but I also think the motion controls should still exist in this hypothetical remake for people who enjoyed them. I just wasn't one of them.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Torn between Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess. Tried 4 times to get into MM and hated it every time. TP has horrid controls, overworld, and art style.

Albatross

Nov 11, 2017
Skyward Sword. I hated the motion controls and I still have nightmares about that horrible boss you have to fight a dozen of times.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Skyward Sword, the game that brought the franchise to its nadir before Breath of the Wild rescued it (much to some folks' never ending chagrin, apparently).

Oct 27, 2017
GODDAMNIT.

Ahem.

Skyward is probably my favorite one, but I 100% knew it'd be the least favorite here.

Wind Waker is my least fave. It's really, really pretty, especially the Wii U version, but beyond that and its music, I don't have much love for the dungeon design or the overworld.

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess, imo. Came off as pretty uninspired and derivative of OoT. Kinda an ugly game too. Not a bad game by any means but it just didn't do a whole lot for me. Skyward Sword has issues too but I like it more than TP.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I'm so sad to see Skyward Sword doing so poorly. GROOSE.

Groose-e1340996315373.jpg

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Wind Waker because it's half of the game it ought to be.

Skyward Sword would be thought of more fondly with a systems overhaul (far less Fi interference, no text boxes on collectible pickup, etc.).

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Oddly enough I disagree with the OP about Skyward Sword being bad because of the controls. The controls were my favorite part of the game for me, I LOVED the 1:1 controls, it was awesome! The reason it's my least favorite is because of all the backtracking to the same places, not a varied amount of places you could go, it felt a bit boring.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
It is weird to me that so many had terrible problems with the SS motion controls. 100% the game multiple times, and don't get me wrong while it can be annoying from time to time it was never enough for me to rage quit.

I feel like if Nintendo ever released a remaster w/o motion controls people could see the great game that is underneath. Probably the best story in the series, and as someone who loves the dungeon experience in Zelda games it did not disappoint (except for maybe the last dungeon).

Edit: I did vote for Twilight Princess, but looking back I would probably choose BotW. No doubt for people who enjoy the exploration aspect of these games it fully delivered an amazing world. As I stated above though, dungeon content was severely lacking. If the sequel can remedy that while keeping the huge world it could be amazing.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
SS, not even close.

That said, also the game with the highest ceiling to improve:

• QOL (no more Fi bullshit)
• Fill out the overworld a little bit more.

And that would be a pretty good game on par with something like WW, IMO.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I am so happy about that consensus. Skyward Sword is the worst Zelda game period (I am talking about the Nintendo games). And on its own it's an average game. The metacritic score it got is the proof some franchises are incredibly overrated.

The linear and restricted world, the terrible and gimmicky motion controls, the never ending hand holding tutorials and never ending mandatory useless dialogues...

SS was so bad and old school Eiji Aonuma had to play a modern open world game (Far Cry 4) to start fresh with a modern structure for the next Zelda (BOTW).

Last edited:

StringM

Feb 7, 2019
Never even remotely thpught of playing Skyward Sword. It looked souless. Twilight Princess on the other hand was not AS fun as other entries but it surely was enjoyable and it looked beautiful.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
The only way that BotW was a letdown to me was in the dungeons and lack of dungeons

Wind Waker's issue is lack of total dungeons and Triforce fetch quest at the end if it bothered you

Twilight Princess is the clear runner up due to the wolf mechmanic being limited, the opening 20 hours being a complete chore, and overall feeling like OoT again

Skyward Sword is the clear standout here, being the worst in virtually every category I could list with a fuck Groose on top

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
Pretty sure the poll will stay close to where it is now. Skyward Sword will get the most votes by far, Ocarina the least by far, and the rest will stay about even.

I haven't actually played Skyward Sword yet, so I have to go with BotW myself.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
I like Skyward Sword a tad more than Twilight Princess. Both are great, but the others are in a different league.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword, too much faffing about, collecting musical notes, revisiting all the same areas for stealth sections, looking for fallen valves. It just isn't as exciting as a Zelda game should be. None of them are bad though.

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward sword ended right when it felt like the game was at the halfway mark towards a great story. Getting rid of the extra finicky motion controls and expanding the story beyond its existing ending would go a long way towards elevating the game to greatness.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
Despite enjoying them all it's clearly Twilight Princess for me.

Even though it has some of my favourite dungeons.

Didn't like the colour palette, the general aesthetic, the meandering pace or Wolf Link.
Would still give it a 9/10 lol

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Skyward Sword was never good, not even at release. The controls were bad, full of padding/backtracking, and it was too linear

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Skyward Sword is the Only 3D Zelda I haven't gone back and finished multiple times. It had a cool narrative, but that was about it. I've tried to go back and play it a few times but it's just not fun to play at all.