• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Worst 3D Zelda game?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 82 3.2%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 160 6.2%
  • Wind Waker

Votes: 205 8.0%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 427 16.7%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 1,260 49.1%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 219 8.5%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 211 8.2%

• Total voters

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
True. I can't really criticize the game for much but sometimes a game with lots of stuff I would change still can leave a profound impact with what it does right, and that's the case here for me
Yeah, and you don't really need to look any further than BotW for an example of how that works. Pretty much everyone can list off several flaws, but it's the favorite of many (myself included) because it just gets so much right.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I didn't play enough Skyward Sword to pass a firm judgement on it, so I voted for Twilight Princess. What an utter snooze-fest. Majora is also pretty grating, but at least it's really going out there and committing to its gimmick.

The only one of these I have generally positive feelings about is Wind Waker.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's BotW.

It's a great game, but I don't personally think it's a great Zelda game.
The things that make a Zelda game a Zelda game are very similar to the things that make a Metroid game a Metroid game -- the core gameplay loop that over the course of the game you get new abilities/items and those allow you to reach new places and get things you couldn't get before. Full disclosure I've only played about 9 hours of BotW because after that I lost interest, but as far as I can tell that core gameplay loop is what they removed from the game that makes it feel so different from all the others. Dungeons aside, weapon durability aside (though I love dungeons and hate durability), them giving you all your tools right off the bat and the only real "progress" being figuring out new ways to use the tools you already have just didn't do it for me.

Skyward Sword is my favorite 3D Zelda game, precisely because I think it does dungeons and puzzles and items so well and I don't mind smaller, dense areas as opposed to a wide open, empty field, so I'm sure my opinion will be immediately discarded. lol

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword for sure, Majora's Mask is right after it (I know, that's controversial, but I just didn't like the time mechanic at all. I've played through it a couple times over the years to see if it ever clicks for me like it does for so many people, but it just doesn't).

brambles13

Oct 27, 2017
It's... actually OoT for me.

Playing it after all the others made it feel a bit bland in comparison even though I do recognize the influence

Then again this basically asking "which five star restaurant is the worst?"
This is basically my answer but I played OoT first. Trying to view it without nostalgia goggles I realize the game has been vastly improved upon over the years.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Skyward Sword :(
But yeah, I don't think I'd go back too often if I had the chance, and some enemies were too troublesome to kill.

But I remember liking the puzzle elements to it.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Botw.
Only zelda thats ever bored me and turned me away never to return.

I always find things like this funny.

I've probably spent more time in BOTW than all the other Zeldas COMBINED... Literally on like 400 hours in BOTW and I always return.

The difference in experiences between people is intriguing to me.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
They are in 3D. If fixed camera means something is 2D then Mario 3D World is a 2D game.
It's not really fixed camera so much as fixed perspective. 3D World shows you different views, often in the same level. PH/ST don't fit that description.

If you really want to be pedantic, you can refer to what everyone calls the 2D games as top-down, but it seems silly to in turn call the 3D games 'non-top-down' when everyone knows what you mean when you say 3D.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
This poll would be a lot more interesting to me with SS removed lol. That was predictable. I am surprised TP is pulling ahead of BotW though, guess the vocal minority made me think it was more polarizing than it actually was.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even the less impressive Zelda is still too much fun to be the "worst" Zelda.

Lol I've seen this argument multiple times and it still makes no sense...

Being the worst of something is natural. Unless you hold them all in equal esteem. Which as humans is nearly impossible to do objectively. So, which out of the group is your least favorite? That would be the "worst" in the context of Zelda games.

It doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just the one you don't favor as much as the others... Do people think "worst" means inherently bad?

It doesn't.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess for me. Its weird, like I can honestly admit that Skyward Sword was a worse game in many ways, but the fact it's the start of it all at least gave me something to keep my interest. TP just never really gripped me even if it's a better Zelda game.

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
I always find things like this funny.

I've probably spent more time in BOTW than all the other Zeldas COMBINED... Literally on like 400 hours in BOTW and I always return.

The difference in experiences between people is intriguing to me.

Agreed.
Im just not a make your own adventure type guy.
People think im trolling when i say i disliked it but im being sincere.
Im big on story and dungeons and coming from story heavy games like TP and SS and even WW to the barebones nothing of BotW let me down hard.
Not to mention the 4 non dungeons with copy paste bosses and a god awful final boss i just didnt have a good time.
Also i hate the weapon durability.

canseesea

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Twilight Princess because I never played the Gamecube version. I hated the Wii controls so much for that game that I completely ignored Skyward Sword (and still haven't played it to this day), so it might not actually be the worst but it's the only one that made me think maybe I didn't like Zelda game any more.

I actually just didn't like the terrible Wii controller and the shoehorned motion controls, but it left a rotten taste in my mouth.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Lol I've seen this argument multiple times it makes no sense...

Being the worst of something is natural unless you hold them all in equal esteem. Which as humans is nearly impossible. So, which out of the group is your least favorite? That would be the "worst" in the context of Zelda games.

It doesn't mean it's a bad game. Just the one you don't favor as much as the others...

It's what comes from the word. It's not a positive word, it's very negative. And it doesn't feel right to talk about any Zelda game like that.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow at that poll lol. And to think there are still some people who unironically refer to a "Zelda Cycle" these days.

I did SS. I don't exactly harbor a hatred of the game and what it represents as I once did back when it released (because Nintendo themselves have since realized it's NOT the direction the series to go in), so I'm able to look at it for what it is and appreciate some of the better aspects. But it's still the most poorly paced, tedious, and bloated Zelda game to go through.

A remaster for the Switch may help isolate the better aspects of the game if they fix some of the frustrations and annoyances that plague the game (and for what it's worth, no, I don't think motion controls are one of the game's issues).

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
Lmfao @ Skyward Sword. Not surprised tho.

Best thing about SS to me is that if it didnt exist BOTW probably doesnt happen so in that regard I'm thankful for its existence lol.

This thread made me realize that I somehow missed out on both Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess. I thought I was a Zelda fan...I guess it doesn't help that I didn't own a Wii U. How did I miss an entire generation. The Wii U must have had a super short life?

Did you have a GC/Wii?

Cuz TP was on GC/Wii
SS was on Wii, but you needed the Motion + add on.

This poll would be a lot more interesting to me with SS removed lol. That was predictable. I am surprised TP is pulling ahead of BotW though, guess the vocal minority made me think it was more polarizing than it actually was.

I think if SS wasnt on the poll, TP would have waaaaay more votes.

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
Of the ones I played, it's a draw between Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild even though they're both decent games.

Wind Waker was boring as sin so I dropped it but do consider revisiting it. Botw is filled with so many terrible and baffling design choices, its near universal praise baffled me even though it does a lot of things right.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed.
Im just not a make your own adventure type guy.
People think im trolling when i say i disliked it but im being sincere.
Im big on story and dungeons and coming from story heavy games like TP and SS and even WW to the barebones nothing of BotW let me down hard.
Not to mention the 4 non dungeons with copy paste bosses and a god awful final boss i just didnt have a good time.
Also i hate the weapon durability.

To a point I am also. I've played all the "3d" Zelda's and I cant lie most of my enjoyment after OOT was rooted in nostalgia and similar (if not the same) linear structure of the series. Botw was refreshing, non of the bosses were terribly unique from another but the battles were NOT terrible. I get it, you already disliked the feel of the game but let's not go overboard with cliches.

God awful is a strong word for serviceable and mildly entertaining. You want god awful? Try Drakes Fortune.... that was awful.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Skyward Sword. I have liked every other 3D Zelda (even though I'm not particularly fond of Majora´s), and have beat them multiple times.

But Skyward? After waiting years for it...I beat the Ancient Cistern and left it there. Could not force myself to keep on playing.

Controllers implementation, 480p SD graphics on a 16:9 format (doesn't look good in a CRT tv, doesn't look good in a modern HD display), sloooooow intro, cumbersome Dungeon-Fly overworld dynamics...

Terribe Zelda, and terrible game.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm convinced that people that are saying BOTW is the best Zelda have not beat it. The ending was so anticlimactic and retroactively ruined the rest of the game for me.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I voted Skyward Sword. While I love the Link/Zelda in the game and (most) the story, playing the game itself is suuuuuuch a slog.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Majoras mask. I remember getting it for Christmas and was fed up with the time stuff, the boring quests, the try hard creepy music, and the repetitive dungeon design.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I think if SS wasnt on the poll, TP would have waaaaay more votes.
Yeah, I suppose they had quite a few overlapping problems. That makes sense.
I'm convinced that people that are saying BOTW is the best Zelda have not beat it. The ending was so anticlimactic and retroactively ruined the rest of the game for me.
I just kind of shrugged it off and kept exploring the game. The story wasn't why I was playing at all, so the story finishing on that underwhelming note didn't really make a difference to me.

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker for me, Sailing is cool the first time around but it becomes a real drag.
- You just sail from A to B.
- All the cool places were a one time only.
- Hyrule castle was awesome and seeing come back to life after pulling the Master Sword was great, but then you can't return there. The giant octorok battle was one time only, the ghost ship.
- Difficulty was a joke, only Darknuts posed a serious threat.
- The Triforce fetch quest was soooo long.

Skyward Sword saving grace was the battle system and motion controls. They worked for me so I had fun, but the game does suffer from the same things Wind Waker had wrong.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
A thread full of 9/10 and 10/10 games and I'm supposed to pick a worst one? Is this a hot take?

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
winder waker is unfinished, has a ton of garbage padding to compensate and has the weakest dungeons in the entire series

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I always weep when I see Skyward Sword top this poll. It's needs a remaster where they add stuff in the sky world to do and re-pace the game to make some of the mandatory side quests optional.

Breath of the Wild is my least favorite because (like several others have said) it isn't necessarily trying to do any of the things I'm excited to do when I get a new Zelda. Like, if Aonuma's team put out Uncharted 2 but with Zelda characters, sure that would be a fine game in its own right but a Zelda game to me isn't the Zelda characters but the Zelda gameplay.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a bad ending can ruin games for people I wonder how bad breakups go for them?

There's being logical and being emotional, and the tarnishing of something due to a small percentage of what the whole experience truly was, is emotion 101.

The end couldn't ruin BOTW because it was NEVER about an engrossing story you were sucked into... Wait until BOTW 2 for that linear story telling aspect to return.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild has aged terrible for me, also it's the only one I haven't finished again after the first year of release (and I'll never gonna replay it again) so for me it's BotW.
The lack of dungeons, empty open world, repetitive shrines, weak story development and uninspired bosses killed the game for me (and I finished it with over 90% of completion).

EDIT
Looks like I'm not the only one, BotW it's the third worst Zelda on this poll. I said it after finish it, BotW will age terrible for most people after the initial hype.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Of this lot, I want to say Skyward Sword. And I really really like Skyward Sword.

They're all excellent games.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I have to give it to Skyward Sword, but I still really enjoyed that game. It's got some cool dungeons, beautiful visuals and concepts. I think the music is underrated.

But Skyloft is underdeveloped, the controls can be the greatest obstacle, and there's just a bit too much repetition in the gameplay-loop.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Skyward Sword's possibly the most underwhelming game EAD ever put out -- at best, it's just ordinary; at worst, it's the culmination of every bad design decision from TP and the DS games. No offense to those who enjoy it, of course, but those were dark times IMO.

Not surprised some don't care for BOTW, either -- much as I adore it, such a radical departure from an age-old formula will naturally draw detractors. I'm eagerly looking forward to the sequel not just for myself or how it'll further develop the series, but in the hopes those who walked away disappoined can embrace this new direction.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
100% it's Skyward Sword. I dropped that game. That and Twilight Princess both didn't do it for me but TP was way better than SS.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Skyward Sword or BotW yet, but of the four preceding it I'd have to go with Wind Waker. Style alone can't make up for all the tedium it makes the player endure.

I'm not entirely surprised to see Twilight Princess being voted as it is, but I played the 3D Zeldas back to back and found TP to be a better executed OoT, but neither were remarkable. It makes me believe that the response to TP is actually just a collective realization that OoT wasn't that good without recognizing that.