• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Worst 3D Zelda game?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 82 3.2%
  • Majora's Mask

Votes: 160 6.2%
  • Wind Waker

Votes: 205 8.0%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 427 16.7%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 1,260 49.1%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 219 8.5%
  • Can't decide

Votes: 211 8.2%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My answer is Skyward Sword, but I want to give the game some love... It has some absolutely amazing dungeons (especially the time stone dungeons and the last dungeon are among the best in the entire series), and some of its bosses were pretty awesome. And it has the best Zelda!

Also, I need to defend BotW a little here, it's the most "Legend of Zelda" game since the very first one. It's everything and more that the series was trying to be when the first game came out. It may have done a lot of things wrong, but IMO the fact that it's just so good despite the lack of dungeons, the lack of meaningful story, etc. makes the game and its sequel that much more exciting to me.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild has aged terrible for me, also it's the only one I haven't finished again after the first year of release (and I'll never gonna replay it again) so for me it's BotW.
The lack of dungeons, empty open world, repetitive shrines, weak story development and uninspired bosses killed the game for me (and I finished it with over 90% of completion).

EDIT
Looks like I'm not the only one, BotW it's the third worst Zelda on this poll. I said it after finish it, BotW will age terrible for most people after the initial hype.

Third worst at 9% lmaooooo...
Yeah You are vindicated in your prediction alright...

/s lol

Also Era is not a statistical tool that determines quality. Just a bunch of opinions, a lot of bad opinions.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Breath of the Wild for me. Don't like the combat, weapon degradation, lack of enemy variety, and non existent story and character arcs.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SS, easily. I don't dislike it, I enjoyed playing through it once, but I do dislike the extreme linearity and the lack of a connected world to explore. The game is literally just three "levels" that you go back to again and again, and a tiny hub world with nothing much to do. A linear Zelda game with zero exploration, that's just wrong. So happy they decided to go completely in the opposite direction with BotW, which is the best game ever made. It still blows my mind that they went from THAT to THAT from one game to the next. They are so different, and BotW feels like 50x more ambitious. The way they pulled that off is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say Skyward Sword. Nintendo was totally up their own ass with motion controls at the time, and I say that as someone who liked the Wii's motion controls a lot. It just goes way to hard with it. The ideas are neat, but it ends up not working well for the Wii remote especially as the game goes on.

Oh also it had a fatal save bug that required downloading an entirely different Wii Channel which is no longer possible thanks to the inability of the Wii to patch games and the Wii Shop being shut down.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW. It dropped everything I like about Zelda.
Yall also have wacky taste, so this poll confirms SS is the best.

Also, I need to defend BotW a little here, it's the most "Legend of Zelda" game since the very first one. It's everything and more that the series was trying to be when the first game came out. It may have done a lot of things wrong, but IMO the fact that it's just so good despite the lack of dungeons, the lack of meaningful story, etc. makes the game and its sequel that much more exciting to me.
People can repeat this a million times, but it's not right. The first Zelda isn't an overworld game. The fun isn't doing whatever you want in the open world or playing with physics there. The overworld is an obstacle in the game -- it's meant to make difficult to the player to get to the dungeons, the objective of the game. Dungeons are the reward for "beating" the overworld challenges, they're the meat of the game.

BOTW's focus in on overworlds, Zelda 1 isn't. People can play BOTW and have fun by messing around in the overworld, no one plays Zelda 1 to keep slashing moblins.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's... actually OoT for me.

Playing it after all the others made it feel a bit bland in comparison even though I do recognize the influence

Then again this basically asking "which five star restaurant is the worst?"
This is how I feel, the "worst" 3d Zelda is still a great game.

For me, it's between SS and OoT as the worst. Motion controls and Fi are pretty major issues, whereas OoT is pretty bare bones all things considered relative to later entries.

Wrighteous86

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I liked Skyward Sword, I mostly liked the motion controls too. It is still EASILY the worst 3D Zelda imo. Even without the motion control issues, the design of the "overworld" and how streamlined it was ruined it for me. Also the weird "description text" glitch and Fi were garbage.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I found Twilight Princess to be painfully dull at times. At least Skyward Sword was vibrant.

Deleted member 15997

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
For me it's Skyward Sword even if you liked the controls. I got used to them at a point, but dropped the game after the second dungeon, the beginning section running around town was dreadful, boring, and long.

It felt like 3D Zelda for babies, everything so straightforward and simple. Also, the bird is worse than the WW boat.

It's not the worst game, there's just nothing special about it.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

People can repeat this a million times, but it's not right. The first Zelda isn't an overworld game. The fun isn't doing whatever you want in the open world or playing with physics there. The overworld is an obstacle in the game -- it's meant to make difficult to the player to get to the dungeons, the objective of the game. Dungeons are the reward for "beating" the overworld challenges, they're the meat of the game.

BOTW's focus in on overworlds, Zelda 1 isn't. People can play BOTW and have fun by messing around in the overworld, no one plays Zelda 1 to keep slashing moblins.

So formulaic, non continuous story lines with predictable and sometimes tedious dungeons? *Dodges stones and vitriol*

The formula like that of Pokémon has been reused to death. With each entry from OOT Zelda seemingly became staler and staler (sales also made Zelda B tier). Yet, a subset of fans honestly and truly believe SS was better than BOTW? That TP was better than BOTW? That Windwaker and it's child dungeons were better than BOTW?

Really?

Edit: You've said SS was top tier... Yeah ummm no. Crap game, couldn't play it myself due to horrible controls and that bird, but I did allow my friend to play it on my Wii (sounds dirty) and by the end we both agreed how forgettable a Zelda game SS is. From the music to the motion controls and overworld traversal, to the characterizations of Groose and others.

SS was a poor mans Zelda game, regardless of what era polls do or don't say....

Last edited:

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Can't decide between WW and SS.

Both have some positives(WW looks stunning, conceptually strong. SS has some neat puzzles and some gimmicks worked).

But WW felt unfinished. Tediously simple and insipid as a game. SS had some tech issues, bloated narrative padding, pacing issues, etc..

TP honestly isn't far ahead either for me, but the dungeons were nice and I rather enjoyed Midna et al. Zant was a waste and it's overworld was dull, but eh.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword.
A game without exploration in a series where exploration is one of the core values is unacceptable.
This nails it. People bitching about "waggle" have no clue, gyro controls were the game's one saving grace. SS's real problem was that it gated the fuck out of it's linear structure with no room for anything else. It was like Zelda's Other M.

KingLear

Oct 25, 2017
I went with SS even though it's basically my favorite. I think my biggest gripe, despite the gameplay ehancements(I really like the addition of things like the sprint bar, multiple shield options, upgradable gear) was just the length of the game. It seemed to wrap up so quickly and there just weren't enough regions. The lack of an over world, despite the existence of a literal overworld, just didn't feel good. Story, gameplay(waggle didn't bug me), dungeons were all the best though.

The most iterative was definitely twilight princess. That game is great but i finished it with kind of a bad taste in my mouth. It felt like such an intense retread to me.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say Skyward Sword. Nintendo was totally up their own ass with motion controls at the time, and I say that as someone who liked the Wii's motion controls a lot. It just goes way to hard with it. The ideas are neat, but it ends up not working well for the Wii remote especially as the game goes on.

Oh also it had a fatal save bug that required downloading an entirely different Wii Channel which is no longer possible thanks to the inability of the Wii to patch games and the Wii Shop being shut down.

That glitch got me, sucked! It happened long before that save fix channel existed, so I had to get a save from someone who was at about the same point in the game as me. Worked out alright, but he didn't have exactly the same stuff unlocked and upgraded, so it felt a bit wrong.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

Yeah but the dungeon design in the original LoZ is just marginally better than stuff in Tower of Druaga. When I played the game, long before internet guides, exploring the overworld WAS the game to me-- as I'm sure that's true for people that played it around release.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
The second half of Twilight Princess. It drops all of the really interesting ideas and plot threads of the first half to be a lifeless retread of OoT. It also has some of the most pigeonholed and restricted tools in the series.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will talk about my two least favorites, since i pretty much liked every zelda game

Skyward Sword (my vote)
The good
the desert area is probably one of the best areas i ever saw in a game, the time shift mechanic is genius and the overall dungeon design is a work of art
Demise battle is one of the best boss battles in the series, the build up and the visuals of it, they knocked out of the park
The story/cutscenes in general are pretry good
Fi and Zelda are great (yeah fi is annoying but i liked her)
MUSIC, oh god the fi's theme is so beautiful

The BAD
The reason why i dont replay this game, THE IMPRISIONED, is probably the worst thing nintendo ever put in a game, ever. He's annoying, not fun to fight and you have to beat him 3 fucking times.
Fi's interruption, its so fucking annoying
A tutorial worth ten years
A lot of backtracking
A lot of time wasting
GROOSE

Now, my second least favorite
Twilight Princess
The good:
Best dungeon design in the series, hands down. Zelda team still have to beat themselves here, all of them are so impressive that its still unmatched. Hoping that with BOTW2 nintendo can beat themselves
Story/cinematic style, game feels so epic, the last boss is so amazing, the build up and everything.
Bosses are great
Midna is the best side-kick ever
Music, AGAIN, riding in Hryule felt so heroic

The BAD
Wolf sections are the second worst thing nintendo ever made in a game, it only hold you back and its not fun at ALL
The visuals are...strange, to be kind
A long ass tutorial
Some time wasting
Poor collectibles

Yeah, i think i made myself clear! Haha

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
That glitch got me, sucked! It happened long before that save fix channel existed, so I had to get a save from someone who was at about the same point in the game as me. Worked out alright, but he didn't have exactly the same stuff unlocked and upgraded, so it felt a bit wrong.

I believe Twilight Princess on Wii had a similar bug and the only fix was to mail your SD card to Nintendo so they could fix your save file.

I love the Wii but the decision to not allow patches wasn't great IMO.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Haven't played Skyward Sword. Chose Twilight Princess because it felt pretty soulless, and held little to no challenge in puzzles or combat.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess > Ocarina of Time > Breath of the Wild > Majora's Mask > Wind Waker > Skyward Sword

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will talk about my two least favorites, since i pretty much liked every zelda game

Skyward Sword (my vote)
The good
the desert area is probably one of the best areas i ever saw in a game, the time shift mechanic is genius and the overall dungeon design is a work of art
Demise battle is one of the best boss battles in the series, the build up and the visuals of it, they knocked out of the park
The story/cutscenes in general are pretry good
Fi and Zelda are great (yeah fi is annoying but i liked her)
MUSIC, oh god the fi's theme is so beautiful

The BAD
The reason why i dont replay this game, THE IMPRISIONED, is probably the worst thing nintendo ever put in a game, ever. He's annoying, not fun to fight and you have to beat him 3 fucking times.
Fi's interruption, its so fucking annoying
A tutorial worth ten years
A lot of backtracking
A lot of time wasting
GROOSE

Now, my second least favorite
Twilight Princess
The good:
Best dungeon design in the series, hands down. Zelda team still have to beat themselves here, all of them are so impressive that its still unmatched. Hoping that with BOTW2 nintendo can beat themselves
Story/cinematic style, game feels so epic, the last boss is so amazing, the build up and everything.
Bosses are great
Midna is the best side-kick ever
Music, AGAIN, riding in Hryule felt so heroic

The BAD
Wolf sections are the second worst thing nintendo ever made in a game, it only hold you back and its not fun at ALL
The visuals are...strange, to be kind
A long ass tutorial
Some time wasting
Poor collectibles

Yeah, i think i made myself clear! Haha

Are you me?

Minus the SS music as a whole... I digress a few pieces are undeniable beautiful.

But yes I agree with most if not all of your points.

GROOSE!!! Hahaha
Stamina was a great addition also!

Edit: Some people like Groose??!?!!? Omg!! No!!!!

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword has some problems, sure, but it has higher highs and stays with you. Twilight Princess is really just kind of there once the charm of Midna wears off.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I'm not entirely surprised to see Twilight Princess being voted as it is, but I played the 3D Zeldas back to back and found TP to be a better executed OoT, but neither were remarkable. It makes me believe that the response to TP is actually just a collective realization that OoT wasn't that good without recognizing that.

I can see where you are coming from and I don't really disagree. My mindset is little different. OOT is much better than TP. Haven't played TP in years tho so my explanations might not be that great.

In a sense TP is a bigger, more 'epic' OOT. Bigger overworld, bigger dugeons, more content, etc. The problem with that is in making everything bigger you run the risk of ruining pacing.

TP to me had some truly awful pacing. Right from the start you have what amounts to an almost 2 hour tutorial, compared to OOT where you have small area where you learn the basics and a small dungeon that expands upon that.

OOT had perfectly paced dungeons, outside of the water temple. Nothing ever felt too long. TP dungeons were bigger but almost always felt long in the tooth, almost to the point of feeling convoluted. I felt no sense of accomplishment in solving a puzzle or beating a boss, rather I was just glad it was finally over with.

None of the minigames in the villages/overworld in TP ever captured my attention quite like the ones in OOT.

Now some of this could just be nolstalgia on my part, and numerous aspects of OOT have not aged well...but I find it difficult to see TP having pacing as well developed.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't fathom actually, sincerely believing BOTW is the worst 3D Zelda. At least the poll doesn't lie about minority/majority opinions.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Skyward sword.... But not for the motion controls. I loved them. The world is legitimately horrible. Isolated world's, hub world is emptier than wind wakers ocean(how do they decide on that after the wind waker criticism of ww).

Theres a lot of good stuff to like tho and it sucks that it's hampered by just a bad design

Second worst? Wind waker and then there's a big gulf. Wind waker was just half baked and rushed and it shows.nit hurts because it could have been probably the best zelda

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I can't fathom actually, sincerely believing BOTW is the worst 3D Zelda. At least the poll doesn't lie about minority/majority opinions.
It depends on your personal definition of what a Zelda game should feel like. BOTW tried to renew the Zelda formula by adding new parts and removing other key factors. If you liked all key elements that were cut out for BOTW then you ended up with having a game which has nothing "zelda like" to offer. Kinda obvious actually.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So formulaic, non continuous story lines with predictable and sometimes tedious dungeons? *Dodges stones and vitriol*

The formula like that of Pokémon has been reused to death. With each entry from OOT Zelda seemingly became staler and staler (sales also made Zelda B tier). Yet, a subset of fans honestly and truly believe SS was better than BOTW? That TP was better than BOTW? That Windwaker and it's child dungeons were better than BOTW?

Really?

Edit: You've said SS was top tier... Yeah ummm no. Crap game, couldn't play t myself due to horrible controls and that bird but I did allow my friend to play it on my Wii (sounds dirty) and by the end we both agreed how forgettable a Zelda game SS is. From the music to the motion controls and overworld traversal, to the characterizations of Groose and others.

SS was a poor Zelda game, regardless of what era polls do or don't say....
Yes, they all have great dungeons, fun items, good boss battles, better storylines.

They were so "samey" and stale that no game never followed the previous one in game design, settings or art:
Ocarina of Time is a hero's journey structured like an AlttP bought to 3D with a more Dragon Quest-like touch to interaction with the world and its characters, it's grandiose; Majora's Mask subverts OoT and focuses on a personal story and making you care more individually, it's a smaller world and a tale about the idea of death and finality;
Wind Waker goes back to the adventure, but makes the world completely different from any previous entry, leans into a more friendly cartoony style, makes a sympathetic villain, it's a warm game in comparison to the cold of MM;
TP is the antithesis of WW in basically everything, it's a darker game about the balance between light and darkness in both major and minor scales, it tries to be more realistic and gritty in almost everything;
SS goes back to being a bright game, with a story played very straightforward like going through a myth or a folklorical tale, telling the origins of a whole mythology.

These all are vastly different in several ways and are united by keeping the Zelda core of finding dungeons, beating them and their bosses and this always tying into the progression of the hero character both mechanically wise (with new items, more health, new techniques) with their personal growth through a single story.

And the idea that SS is "objectively" a bad game is ridiculous. The game is well made and got great critical reviews. You may not like it, like I don't like BOTW, but it's not an objective thing. I even get what makes people enjoy BOTW, I just don't care about these aspects. A lot of the criticism towards SS was born because it released just when the industry was shifting from linear design to open world, with Skyrim releasing very near it, and people's desire of Nintendo to move into that direction and SS representing Nintendo's unwillingness to follow the wave.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'll get shot down for this, but honestly Majora. I really found it obtuse and pretty boring.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm convinced that people that are saying BOTW is the best Zelda have not beat it. The ending was so anticlimactic and retroactively ruined the rest of the game for me.

I can assure you I beat it and think it's the best Zelda by far.

BOTW made me question whether or not Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time.

Skyward Sword is rightly winning the poll. The only redeeming quality is its soundtrack which is gorgeous.

C_Ali88

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I guess you hate BOTW if you like to be told what and how to do things and lack individual creativity.

You know the whole Zelda formula by heart by now, do you feel more comfortable with that? What else can be done to it? Comfortability is not an excuse to keep making the same game with new shades of veneer.

Botw is only boring if you can't think for yourself.... Take that however you wish.

Many a Zelda game since OOT have been slogs at times for me just due to familiarity.

Oh a water dungeon!!
A boomerang!!
A requisite forest!!

Yeah it's been beat to death. Let it die!
Yes, they all have great dungeons, fun items, good boss battles, better storylines.

They were so "samey" and stale that no game never followed the previous one in game design, settings or art:
Ocarina of Time is a hero's journey structured like an AlttP bought to 3D with a more Dragon Quest-like touch to interaction with the world and its characters, it's grandiose; Majora's Mask subverts OoT and focuses on a personal story and making you care more individually, it's a smaller world and a tale about the idea of death and finality;
Wind Waker goes back to the adventure, but makes the world completely different from any previous entry, leans into a more friendly cartoony style, makes a sympathetic villain, it's a warm game in comparison to the cold of MM;
TP is the antithesis of WW in basically everything, it's a darker game about the balance between light and darkness in both major and minor scales, it tries to be more realistic and gritty in almost everything;
SS goes back to being a bright game, with a story played very straightforward like going through a myth or a folklorical tale, telling the origins of a whole mythology.

These all are vastly different in several ways and are united by keeping the Zelda core of finding dungeons, beating them and their bosses and this always tying into the progression of the hero character both mechanically wise (with new items, more health, new techniques) with their personal growth through a single story.

And the idea that SS is "objectively" a bad game is ridiculous. The game is well made and got great critical reviews. You may not like it, like I don't like BOTW, but it's not an objective thing. I even get what makes people enjoy BOTW, I just don't care about these aspects. A lot of the criticism towards SS was born because it released just when the industry was shifting from linear design to open world, with Skyrim releasing very near it, and people's desire of Nintendo to move into that direction and SS representing Nintendo's unwillingness to follow the wave.

Ummm art style, setting, periphery characters are literally the only things they could change to give you a different game.... The characters besides Link, Zelda and Ganon are peripheral and within the scope of the game have always just been a necessity to keep the game moving. I care not for any of these characters because I know they won't reappear next game. That kills having other characters at all for me.

Botw didn't need it's host of semi important characters to be a focus the game in itself provided the joy of progression.

Also nothing you mentioned makes the formula any less apparently stale or the same (samey)... They are and playing one since OOT you've pretty much played them all in structure, progression, interaction and worst of all expectation.

You expect these staples from a Zelda game and at this point it isn't beneficial to the series.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
I mean, of the ones listed, ive played Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Breath of the Wild, and honestly? Ocarina of Time was by far the worst to me. I played it when i was about 7 or 8 in 2003, along with Wind Waker, and the former just seemed so boring by comparison. I felt even at that time that Ocarina didn't age well, and I just never looked back. Admittedly, I played ocarina on GameCube in some sort of bundle, so maybe that version is worse somehow, but i definitely didn't see the magic of that game like others did upon release or in later years.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
This nails it. People bitching about "waggle" have no clue, gyro controls were the game's one saving grace. SS's real problem was that it gated the fuck out of it's linear structure with no room for anything else. It was like Zelda's Other M.
TP also had this issue as well. MM and OoT were fairly linear in overall progression, but you were also encouraged to explore the land to find secrets. The Wii games were just empty husks.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People claiming BotW "didn't feel like classic Zelda" either never played the original or need to go back and replay it immediately. In many ways BotW was a return to its roots.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

When I say BotW is the most "Zelda" game since the first one, I actually mean it in a different way -- Breath of the Wild brought back the theme of "discovery". Traveling a huge overworld, finding towns, discovering shrines, seeing the many different areas and islands, all completely on your own whims, is all a part of that.

The world of BotW is not unlike Zelda 1's overworld, where it's entirely your desire that tells you what and where to explore, in an overworld that is richly packed with a variety of biomes / areas (graveyard, desert, mountain, beach, forest). And just like how shrines are plentiful in BotW, nearly every single screen in Zelda 1 had a cave, most of which were secret caves, so your curiosity is very often rewarded. (Because of this, I would argue that Zelda 1 focused equally on the overworld as it did its dungeons, or perhaps even more.)

I feel like Zelda games before BotW looked at the dungeons of Zelda 1 and copied and refined those into self-contained puzzle solving challenges, but they threw away much of the "discovery" aspect of Zelda 1's overworld. The worlds are much more linear, dungeons are marked on your map, essential items are easy to find, and the games don't challenge you as much to explore and see what you can discover on your own volition. Instead, much of the fun comes from the challenge of solving puzzles.

But Breath of the Wild did the opposite -- it looked at the overworld of Zelda 1 and copied and refined that, bringing back the feeling of discovery in full force. But in doing so, they threw away much of Zelda 1's underworld, lol. (Something I really hope they focus on in the sequel!)

But because the game is now largely once again about "discovery", I feel like BotW is closer to what Miyamoto originally envisioned for Zelda 1 than any other Zelda.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
TP also had this issue as well. MM and OoT were fairly linear in overall progression, but you were also encouraged to explore the land to find secrets. The Wii games were just empty husks.
TP had gating (all Zeldas do) but still plenty of room to breathe. It really wasn't like SS at all.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
Is Skyward Sword's control that horrid? I'm playing Twilight Princess now, and TP's motion control is so much fun for me. I like bow control, sword control, spin attack control, I just like every motion control. Of course it sometimes says 'point the wiimote to the screen' message, because I'm playing the game in my room, so the distance between wiimote and sensor bar is a little close. But I don't mind about that interrupt. Is there a possibility for the likes of me to hate SS's control?