• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Not posting this to beat a dead horse. DK Tropical Freeze is still worth full price IMO.

But why is Nintendo destroying the US with prices this gen? I'm from Australia and picked up DK for $69 Australian, including tax. That works out to $52 US. Pretty decent gap there, the US price is 60 before tax!

Why the change? What did the US do? It's like this for Japanese games too, they're always cheaper than the US version. What gives? For years Australia was getting absolutely gouged. Now we're in the money!

PS buy donkey kong !

Edit: I get that I'm sort of comparing apples to oranges here, with the whole different countries and economies thing. But it just feels like Nintendo are taking advantages of some markets at the moment. Something has gotta give. While I believe games like DK are worth full price they really shouldn't be that expensive. And like another poster mentioned, games like ARMS shouldn't STILL be full price. Don't fly too close to the sun Ninty..

Last edited:

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphyh1stp.gif

They just want money.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it works... So why not?

I will admit Tropical Freeze being priced $10 more than the original is pretty surprising. I can't say I've seen them pull something like that before.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What was that interview recently that said despite all the changes Nintendo of Japan was still a particularly money focused organisation?

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They always pull these stunts, what's worse is third party publishers catching onto it. (Charging $40 for games that are half the price or less than that on other consoles)

Oct 25, 2017
To clarify for the OP, it's not "Why is Nintendo charging full price of retail games?"

It's "Why does Nintendo keep making the price a flat 60 before tax in America only?"

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely a slap in the face to Wii U owners. The games are definitely brilliant though, and I'm glad more people get to play them. As much as I want to double dip, I can't really justify $60 for games I've played a year or two ago.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo destroying the US
damn... gonna miss the US..... can't believe a Japanese toy company destroyed a whole country... guess they had to make way for... Donkey Kong Country....

The real reason is this: markets are all different, and run by different people/committees. Decisions like these are made by people in suits staring at charts and graphs and then slamming calculator buttons for hours on end.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
It's definitely a slap in the face to Wii U owners. The games are definitely brilliant though, and I'm glad more people get to play them. As much as I want to double dip, I can't really justify $60 for games I've played a year or two ago.
Yeah I'd really love to play it on portable. Same for Bayonetta 2. I don't get how they think that's a fair price... I'd bite at 40 for each.

Oct 28, 2017
As a Wii U owner, the pricing of these ports is a complete slap in the face; especially those that bought their games digitally. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy these games can get a wider fan base. I just think they're losing any good will from Wii U owners, not that Nintendo even cares.

I just bought a Switch only because it's being hacked wide open.

Nintendo and some of its fan try to convince others that going with Nintendo is a cheaper option, but I've yet to see it.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its the same in the UK. Other platform games are about £40 on release, Nintendo games are £50.

Nintendo and some of its fan try to convince others that going with Nintendo is a cheaper option, but I've yet to see it.

Who ever is saying that is speaking out their ass imo. There is nothing cost-effective about the Switch. Peripherals and games are both priced higher than usual. You want cheap option you go PC.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Tropical Freeze being a 60$ game is NOT a problem.

However, games like Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, etc. still being full price a year later is a big problem in my opinion (and I don't care if the games still sell, it's still a greedy move by Nintendo), especially since games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Gravity Rush 2, NioH, etc. all had a price cut (or went on sale frequently at least).

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As a Wii U owner, the pricing of these ports is a complete slap in the face; especially those that bought their games digitally. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy these games can get a wider fan base. I just think they're losing any good will from Wii U owners, not that Nintendo even cares.

I just bought a Switch only because it's being hacked wide open.

They're doing their best to erase the Wii U from the books, at the cost of pissing off continued customers.

The pricing on the eshop is a crime too, it's out of control.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I remember buying Mario 64 DS like 10 years after it launched still at full price.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
While it's perfectly fine to not like pricing, let's not be silly and say things like Nintendo is being some sort of greedy company that's slapping WiiU owners in the face.

They are pricing their products in such a way that their research dictates the market will yield the highest profitability while moving as many units as possible.

There's no underlying evil intent here - they are a business making business moves based on business research. That is all.

ConanEdogawa

Oct 31, 2017
Exchange rates fluctuate over time. One year it will be cheaper in a particular currency over another.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If we're having a Most Fleeced By Nintendo competition, let me point out that DK Tropical Freeze is €59.99 in Ireland, which equates to roughly US $71.50.

(This is after VAT, but the US would need 19% sales tax to match our price. The highest is 9%.)

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're just $60 like most new releases on all platforms here. As for why it's cheaper in some other countries, maybe the economy isn't as good there? The economy in the US is still very good, high stock market (though down from last year), lowest unemployment rates in a long while, consumer spending up, sellers market in real estate in most metro areas etc.

Oct 28, 2017
They're doing their best to erase the Wii U from the books, at the cost of pissing off continued customers.

The pricing on the eshop is a crime too, it's out of control.

Their eshop pricing and their "sales" are even more laughable. I went from a hardcore Nintendo fan from NES to Wii U to now being a hardcore PS4 fan. I've got money to burn, but that doesn't mean I'm going to freely give it to Nintendo and their insane pricing. Sony has gotten a ton of money from me all because of their digital sales they do.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Why wouldn't they? The US seems to have a huge nostalgia boner, and time and time again they exploit it with its pricing...but ofc we in the EU get fucked by everybody in the videogame business so...

Birdo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While it's perfectly fine to not like pricing, let's not be silly and say things like Nintendo is being some sort of greedy company that's slapping WiiU owners in the face.

They are pricing their products in such a way that their research dictates the market will yield the highest profitability while moving as many units as possible.

There's no underlying evil intent here - they are a business making business moves based on business research. That is all.
I take it your fine with lootboxes and other forms of MTX?

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Well this atleast wasn't the usual way these games start.

Congrats au on enjoying reasonable prices for once. I don't envy you guys.

As for the actual question our dollar is dropping in value relative to the rest of the world would be my first assumption.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Their eshop pricing and their "sales" are even more laughable. I went from a hardcore Nintendo fan from NES to Wii U to now being a hardcore PS4 fan. I've got money to burn, but that doesn't mean I'm going to freely give it to Nintendo and their insane pricing. Sony has gotten a ton of money from me all because of their digital sales they do.

It's not laughable if it's working - Nintendo is clearly doing just fine without deep sales. If the market will bear it, they have no incentive to change.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Isn't Zelda £60 digital? Even if it isn't now, it was before. Crazy pricing for a cash-strapped market here in the UK.

Antitype

Oct 27, 2017
Looking on amazon.fr most Switch games are around 35€ to 50€, seems pretty standard.