• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Talraen

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
The finnish nightmares image is pretty accurate. Everyone takes a spot until the only spots available are next to other people.

Mutual respect of personal space.

It's actually the same on commuter rail around New York City. It's actually a little funny, if the train is just crowded enough that every other seat is taken, a few people will stand rather than sit next to people. But if it's actually crowded, every seat fills fast. I'd love to see some data on exactly when the tipping point occurs. (Also just this past weekend I was on a train where every seat was occupied and there was barely standing room in the aisle, which is where I was stuck. So that was certainly an extreme.)

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Perhaps not in some city buses, but otherwise of course (safety is a big deal here, [infact we invented the airbag and the three point belt :) ]). Not that everyone uses them, but most sensible people do I hope.

The more you know. We used to have them here as well, but I haven't seen one in newer busses for the past 10 years. The current trend is moving towards more and more standing positions as well.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
A few years ago I went to a movie and found myself sitting in a theater that was almost completely empty. A 30something couple were sitting several rows in front of me and that was about it. During the previews they suddenly got up and sat RIGHT NEXT to me without saying a word. I didn't even know how to react. Was this to prove a point? Was there a reason for this? Seemed like anything I could say or do in that situation would spark a shitshow, so I just shrugged a fuck off and continued watching the film in a mostly empty theater with the couple. I will say this, at least they were chill enough to not talk through it!

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
When I visited Norway, I was a bit surprised at this. I remember waiting to cross a road and someone just shot ahead because apparently we were too close to each other.

Oct 25, 2017
A few years ago I went to a movie and found myself sitting in a theater that was almost completely empty. A 30something couple were sitting several rows in front of me and that was about it. During the previews they suddenly got up and sat RIGHT NEXT to me without saying a word. I didn't even know how to react. Was this to prove a point? Was there a reason for this? Seemed like anything I could say or do in that situation would spark a shitshow, so I just shrugged a fuck off and continued watching the film in a mostly empty theater with the couple. I will say this, at least they were chill enough to not talk through it!

They were trying to discretely proposition you.

ftchrs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I imagine this is some kind of Scandinavian politeness thing, but it seems crazy to spread out so much when there's still ample space near the stop itself, especially in those photos where it's raining/snowing and you might want to be in the covered area. But hey, to each their own.

But to you Northern Europeans, would I be thought of as impolite if I were to stand closer than 3 feet from another person while waiting on transit? Or would they think, "Ah, must not be a Swede/Norgwegian/etc?"

My experience in Finland is that if someone stands too close to you at a bus stop (even by a fraction), then they are without exception either tourists or, in the case of Finns, drunk or mentally ill, so politeness doesn't really come into the equation. The same applies to our convoluted social norms on choosing a seat in public transport. If someone sits next to you when there's an empty seat somewhere else, it's time to fear for your life.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
They were trying to discretely proposition you.

tenor.gif

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
I think maybe this is more extreme as you go further north, I live in the south of Sweden and while people still give each other plenty of space it is not taken to the extreme shown in most of those pictures. Closer to this one
YYgwvAf.jpg

although that seems to be in Finland so that blows my "more extreme in the north" theory apart. I don't know, how do you queue in the States?
This is how we stand in Canada.

There was one time when people were standing all spread out like in the other photos and I decided to wait by the stop because I was late. I got yelled at by some guy for skipping the "line".

Debiddo

Nov 11, 2017
This pleases my desire for personal space when I'm out and about. Scandinavia and Finland, I'm coming baby!

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Why is being a "stranger" such a pejorative to you that the simple act of standing next to one is an event?

It sounds paranoid and bizarre.

We Finns just avoid unnecessary socializing. If there isn't rush hour going on then there is literally no reason to get unnecessary close to strangers while waiting for e.g. bus.

Is this strictly a bus stop thing or does this happen anywhere people are queued?

Anywhere when possible, we like to give each other breathing space.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
I wish i lived in such a place. NYC sucks. Im constantly smelling someone, and that someone always smells. Im constantly brushed up on.

Jackpot

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We Finns just avoid unnecessary socializing. If there isn't rush hour going on then there is literally no reason to get unnecessary close to strangers while waiting for e.g. bus.

I don't like huddling next to strangers either but the pics in the OP are an impractical exclusion zone taken to extremes. This is how it is in the UK:

chelmsford.jpg

bus-stop-in-town-centre-sutton-coldfield-west-midlands-england-uk-ayk7xn.jpg

Gaps are about the width of one person.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I don't like huddling next to strangers either but the pics in the OP are an impractical exclusion zone taken to extremes. This is how it is in the UK:

Gaps are about the width of one person.

Pictures in OP are like extreme of most extreme. I say that as Finn.

I would say reality for most situations is between OP pics and those UK pics.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
These examples are a bit extreme. We don't always keep a 4-5 meter bufferzone around us. But sure, if there's only a few people, we won't get within 30cm of each other but keep a polite distance of maybe 1,5-2 meters. Usually if there are more than 3-5 people waiting for a bus, people can come a bit closer.

Mango Polo

Nov 2, 2017
I've been in Helsinki for a year now and almost never see this fabled bus arrangement. Clear sky, windy, raining, snowing: people happily pile up at the bus stops like sardines. The same compact lines I saw everywhere else in the world.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love it. Wish the US had the same affinity for personal space and comfort.

Meanwhile on SF Muni I just rode for forty minutes with an old guy using me as a chair back. We were both sitting down, but only he turned his body 45 degrees and put his full body weight on me, a stranger. *shudder*

Someone else did the same thing to me on the bus. Just straight leaned on me the entire time.... Ugh

They all can't stand the smell of each other.

Can people smell bad if it's frozen outside?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the time on GAF I was wondering why a Finn poster never smiled in photos. I was quickly scolded by another, who was glad he didn't come from a "forced smiling culture" like America.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I've lived in the US my entire life and I wait for the bus like that. I don't want other people to be repulsed by me, plus I like having my own space. One time a lady said "You can sit on the bench with me, I won't bite". Plus not many people here use the bus outside of people for who it is a necessity (disabled, elderly, or homeless) so there's usually only one other person waiting if that so it's not like I'm taking up much unnecessary space by standing far apart from the others

Oct 26, 2017
As an Englishman I like what I see. Sadly queuing is a dying art in this country. Especially in the big cities
At some bus stops it is difficult to know who was first, but the queuing etiquette is still in place for many other situations... except for the young and the savage teenagers (who are all arseholes).

Looks pretty similar to what you'd find in the UK. Actually thought it was quite funny the other day noticing that because everyone sits or stands as far away as possible from other people in the shelter, you always end up with everyone evenly distributing themselves. People would also rather stand outside rather then having to sit next to someone else.
This is true. I did it today when there was plenty of space at the bus stop. Technically there was enough space for 8 but 2 was enough and I stood outside.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
How am I supposed to second-hand smoke? PC culture run amok!

Oct 27, 2017
Reminds me of the time on GAF I was wondering why a Finn poster never smiled in photos. I was quickly scolded by another, who was glad he didn't come from a "forced smiling culture" like America.

You smile when you have a real reason for it, not all the damn day.

If you are smiling all damn day, you clearly have it too good and need to get lost.

- edit -

You can smile when you are alone in the winter evening/night, it's snowing and you see no-one and hear nothing besides your own footsteps crunching the snow.

But only then.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
In Finland we have this thing called "personal space".

My suggestion, they learned this way. In case of traffic accident, when car loses control and flies into bus stop - there will be less casualties this way.

lmao, so this is how it feels when someone makes a blind guess about your culture and gets it completely wrong

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I would love that... In Brazil you are almost supposed to let people touch you while they talk to you [if you ask people not to, they get REALLY offended], and you can't walk a semi crowded street without being touched by at least 15 different bodies in a short walk. As an introvert I need some personal space - totally get the Scandinavians.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Norway and I haven't seen anything that extreme, reminds me more of people waiting for the tram or subway in Oslo where there are several entrances.
There is of course more personal space here than in other countries, but I think it also comes from the small size of the country.
You're not going to walk 500 meters to a bus stop to stand 20 cm from a single person waiting for the bus. I mean, take the subway in New York outside of rush hour and you have
similar distances between people.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Hah, it does seem bit funny when pointed out with multiple pictures like that. But yeah, personal space as people have said. Many times when waiting in a bank, pharmacy etc. I rather stand than sit next to somene. Now if there's atleast one empy seat between us then it's tolerable.