• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Nightmare fuel

e39saou1k5201.gif
I experience this on a daily basis. I remember one day the train being THIS packed, and an older guy literally running and tackling his way into the car. To be fair the subway in Mexico City is not too different, so I guess my "culture shock" is not that extreme, lol.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Wikipedia says the average high temp in july is like 20-22°C. Thats not hot at all. Thats about how warm it was today where I live, and I would consider it sweatshirt weather.

Well that only tells average temps of July. it can occasionally go beyond 30C. Couple years ago there was like two weeks of constant 28-35C temps. That is hot especially as so few places have AC here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that people feel that this is weird. Why would you huddle up with strangers and stand in their face, if there's enough space to not do it?

When there isn't enough space, I can assure you all that people don't stand like that. I should take some pictures from how it looks in central Göteborg here in Sweden, a weekday morning.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
OP isn't representative of how it is here in Copenhagen, Denmark. The posts I've quoted is more like it.

I think maybe this is more extreme as you go further north, I live in the south of Sweden and while people still give each other plenty of space it is not taken to the extreme shown in most of those pictures. Closer to this one
YYgwvAf.jpg

although that seems to be in Finland so that blows my "more extreme in the north" theory apart. I don't know, how do you queue in the States?

This is in my town, an example of what will happen if you edge too close lol
giphy.gif

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I read this thread title as some weird, alternate reality Seinfeld joke.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Norway here: It's not like they'll be spread by several meter gaps if the queue is longer than 10 people, there's some common sense there, but yes, you'll see long lines of people 'queuing' with some personal space inbetween. I used to live in a more rural part and wasn't quite used to lots of people waiting for the bus, so I got yelled at for skipping the 'line' once after moving and since then I've found my place at the back when I arrive at the scene. This is mostly for buses where you have to enter in the front, though.

Oct 26, 2017
Who wants to stand beside a stranger while waiting for a bus? I usually stand away from others. When the bus pulls in I'll huddle in to get on.

Not Scandinavian, but still European.

Barajas_201

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
What happens if it rains? Do people stay in the rain instead of going into the bench with cover? This is ridicules behavior, nothing is gonna happen if I stand next to you.

AIP

Oct 29, 2017
Many have already mentioned it but yeah everyone here likes their personal space. And it's not that extreme as some of the pictures show. A good rule I would say is that you should keep about an arm's reach from the other person.

Yorxor

Oct 27, 2017
Munich, Germany
Add me to the "I wish it would be done like that here"-list. My fellow Germans have a very different interpretation of personal space, or queueing in general. Go Scandinavia!

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What happens if it rains? Do people stay in the rain instead of going into the bench with cover? This is ridicules behavior, nothing is gonna happen if I stand next to you.

Something will happen. If there is no reason for you to come stand very close to me I will look at you with "WTF bro? srs?" face and then take step or two away from you. I'm waiting for a bus, not looking to hold hands or feel your breath.

It's all relative. If there is no good reason ((heavy) rain, very strong winds, rush hour...) for us to get very close of each other (read: strangers) then we don't. We just like our personal space and like AIP posted earlier that arm's reach is pretty common distance kept, maybe tad more depending.

Personal space ftw.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why? There is no need to impose on a strangers personal space. It's not like people that know each other stand far away from one another, instead they stand way closer than usual, "normal" as you would put it.

personal space is like half a foot; not 3-4 meters; maybe because I live in a city and there isn't enough space at every bus stop so I get why if there's more space people will use it, makes sense; But some of those pictures are kinda stupid, people that could easily fit in 10 meters with enough personal space spread out to 200m... just inefficient and takes more time to load up the bus

It's all relative. For Finn 25C may be quite hot, but -15C is nothing while for foreigner it's hell frozen over few times and nose is freezing off.

i live in canada and we don't do that

I wonder how big Finnish elevators are; regular sized elevators couldn't fit more than 2 finns at a time

Last edited:

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
Wow..how weird and antisocial.

There's no reason for interaction. I don't need it. I have family and friends, everyone else exists only to occupy space around

Like let me get back and forth to work without trying to strike up conversation or coming into my space

I'm just one of those people who needs like 0 human interaction throughout the day

I don't even leave my office when I get to work, I hate being social. On lunch break most are all hanging out in lunch room chatting. No thanks. I shove food in my mouth for 5 second then use my 30 minute lunch break to plays switch at work lol

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's no reason for interaction. I don't need it. I have family and friends, everyone else exists only to occupy space around

Like let me get back and forth to work without trying to strike up conversation or coming into my space

I'm just one of those people who needs like 0 human interaction throughout the day

I don't even leave my office when I get to work, I hate being social. On lunch break most are all hanging out in lunch room chatting. No thanks. I shove food in my mouth for 5 second then use my 30 minute lunch break to plays switch at work lol

he/she didn't mean you had to interact with the person

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's likely a personal space thing, which is interesting to me because as an American one of the hardest things to adjust to in other countries when I travel is, typically, their (natural) violation of my norms of personal space. It's something that drives me batty. I hadn't really considered that other Europeans might even have larger norms of personal space, because in most foreign countries I've been to, I've always felt like I'm the weirdo getting uncomfortable when my norms of space are always violated. It is really something I stress out about, and I don't stress out about much.

Nov 26, 2017
Birmingham
Why? There is no need to impose on a strangers personal space. It's not like people that know each other stand far away from one another, instead they stand way closer than usual, "normal" as you would put it.

You ever been to London? You only get that amount of space when you're on the toilet taking a dump. That much space would be a god send to me.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's all relative. For Finn 25C may be quite hot, but -15C is nothing while for foreigner it's hell frozen over few times and nose is freezing off.
I've definitely felt it was too hot in Scandinavia, especially since the houses trap the heat and there's no AC, but the point is it can be so much worse. My perspective on what's too hot hasn't changed, but it can still get way hotter than that.

An Italian might think 0 degrees is too cold, but if they move to Kiruna they're going to be in for a surprise. They might still think 0 is cold back in Italy though.

You ever been to London? You only get that amount of space when you're on the toilet taking a dump. That much space would be a god send to me.

I was there over the weekend, it was really unbearable. In some places you couldn't move because of all the people. I could never live there.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
You smile when you have a real reason for it, not all the damn day.

If you are smiling all damn day, you clearly have it too good and need to get lost.

- edit -

You can smile when you are alone in the winter evening/night, it's snowing and you see no-one and hear nothing besides your own footsteps crunching the snow.

But only then.

I'm happy/smile basically 16 hours a day (I can't vouch for the 8 hours I'm asleep). Got a problem with that?

Lines in all the places I go in the US are usually pretty close to each other. Like 2' minimum between people, and often right on top of each other if crowded.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely not something we
E do in Denmark. We wait like normal peopl.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Beause they are willing to make an effort to make this society thing work? And maybe they respect personal space?
I have this fantasy that there aren't that many loud people in Finland. If that is true, i might move there.