• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
why are you asking us Scandinavians about what Finnish people are doing?

"What's up with the way US cops are dressing for duty??! And why are they using horses??!"
maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You would think that in cold places like that, cuddling would be a cultural cornerstone.
At least a casual hug it would be the polite thing to do on a cold day.
Weirdly enough Swedes commonly hug as a greeting. It goes against our whole socially awkward thing. I live abroad now and people simply don't hug here, it's a more intimate thing.

Yeah suicide rates are a bit high, in Finland especially. That article compares Sweden to China though so make if it what you will.

Last edited:

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Someone already posted it but it bears repeating:

The people in the pictures are NOT queuing. I can't speak for all Scandinavians but Danes generally hate standing in line. We will when necessary but there is no cause to do so until we see the bus approaching. Only then will we form a line whick looks just like in other countries. Until then people just spread out in the area by the bus stop. If it's a long bus where every door is both exit and entrance, then the line looks like the extreme photo with people several metres apart.

The gif with the girl in red is NOT a personal space reaction. Look at their heads. They've spotted the bus on the horizon and are slowly moving to their queue positions.

Also the part about never taking a seat next to someone in the bus if free double seats are available is completely true. The only people who disregard this unspoken rule are old, lonely people, junkies and drunkards.

Went out to dinner with a friend recently. Through a neighborhood with lots of restaurants. Most of them were full or almost full. We could have gotten a table. In the end we found a restaurant that was nearly empty. Only three others apart from us. Two of them in a separate room. We had all the space in the world and silence apart from the subdued background jazz. It was bliss. Food was luckily great. Came back from Tokyo a month ago. People there regularly queue infront of restaurants. That would never happen in Denmark. No available tables? We leave and find another restaurant.

Temperatures: from around 18 degrees celsius it's t-shirt, shorts and sandals.

Trejo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a fear but a comfort thing. Some people do not want total strangers breathing at their neck if there's room. There's nothing to weep about, don't be fucking stupid. These pics are fairly extreme examples and we stand close to people we know. It's not like we keep loved ones at an arms distance.
Yes, and your extreme was the stupidest kind. So yeah, your kind of sweeping statements about the state of humankind because people want to keep some space and don't want just anyone hugging them is one of the dumbest things said in this thread.
Oh I get it now. Yeah, if I lived somewhere filled with people who can't process even the most basic of interactions without resorting to rudeness and name calling as you're demonstrating here then yes, I suppose I would also try to keep as much distance between everyone else as possible.

Stouffers

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has been the best thread on ERA. A new high has been set!

I've actually been looking at cost of living there. (It's actually quite high for food and stuff) :(
Maybe that's why they stand so far apart: Food prices are so high it forces the majority of citizens to eat Taco Bell causing constant explosive flatulance.

fleeting

Oct 27, 2017
Personal space is nice, not sure why one would want to huddle up against others you don't know?