• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
filipino here and definitely had my brunt of it along with other family members. and i understand why they thought it was necessary, but i don't think it helped anything at all except create unneeded fear/resentment.

it's really fucking sad. discipline doesn't come with physically hurting someone. as others have said, you wouldn't do it to any other person/employee/coworker/friend, so what difference is it here? any form of it is really unacceptable but ESPECIALLY towards children.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Adults aren't kids, the Dynamics are worlds apart. I'd never hit my girlfriend, I can reason with her.

The idea that you cannot reason with a child, cannot help them in a meaningful way to resolve an issue, without beating them is so fucking beyond fucked up. Seriously mate, go see a fucking therapist if you feel the need hit your child in any capacity.

Jun 6, 2019
"There is just something really special about kids, something that makes them different than any other living breathing thing on the planet. And that special something compels me to hit them"

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if it's actually a bad thing to spank your kids every one in a while. I remember when my mom tried when I was like 12 and I laughed it off. What if taking away privileges, time outs, providing explanations, positive reinforcement, and etc aren't working?

Try harder? Try longer? Reassess what your goal is? What do you mean by 'working'? Kids aren't robots and shouldn't be controlled. Yes beating them could control them in a way, but it isn't going to teach them. If your goal is to teach and nurture then you need to keep working at it. Sometimes it's going to take a long while. That's how learning works.

I don't get why literally every other person who interacts with a kid has to think of some other way of solving the issue, but the people who are with the kids most, should know them most, and should be striving to teach them most, get this pass where they can hit them instead of thinking out and working out other strategies. Like, a teacher doesn't get to throw up their arms and decide nothing works so they'll hit the child instead.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
Its not a black people thing, its a cycle of violence passed down from many generations of people from all walks of life whether its religious/poverty/ignorance.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Adults aren't kids, the Dynamics are worlds apart. I'd never hit my girlfriend, I can reason with her.

Children over a certain age can be reasoned with. If they're too young to understand reason, they're too young to understand why you're hitting them.

There is never a good reason for hitting a child, and it is never appropriate.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is making me use the ignore feature more than any other time I've been on this website. Jesus fucking christ.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
My mom slapped me in the face once. Never forgot that. My buddy's dad beat him with belts and we're both white.

It's definitely normalized in the south to this day. I live in the northeast and it's not nearly as common as it was in the 80s here but in the south and Texas it happens fairly regularly.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Less a Black thing and more "Fucked up Parents" and "Fucked up older traditional norms" thing. The whold "older traditional norm" bullshit peddled by older gens, like "Remember back when men were men and women were women?" or "Men are the kings of their homes, and women should know their place!" Sometimes traditions and traditional beliefs need to die, even if it's dragged into hell, kicking and screaming.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"But forreal. What is it that makes us behave this way with our kids? Obviously I don't think this is black people/culture exclusive, but it feels soooo much more central to traditional black parenting methods, and I really can't stand it."

Really?
What's your point? OP is talking about their experience of beatings/spankings being more normalized in his family and by proxy, the black community at large. The data supports that assertion, as black people are self-reporting more use of corporal punishment than other groups.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder if the prevalence of this in black communities might be traced back to slave owners beating their slaves as discipline back in the day and black people subconsciously choosing It as their own form of discipline since it's what they already knew, and then it was just passed down from there

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
There's a difference between disciplining your kids and abusing them. I can't tell you the amount of times I've seen children just walk all over their parents.
Yeah, same applies at work ofc. If an employee is walking all over you and doesn't respect your authority, the best course of action is to go up to them and punch them. That'll teach em.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
It's literally teaching by example that you can get other people to obey you through the use of violence

My father was the kind of dad who used a belt when he got mad, and my mom was the kind of person who would hit me with whatever was in reach, and the only thing either of them ever taught me through that was "if you fuck up, do everything you can to make sure you don't get caught, because getting caught means catching a beating"

All it ever taught me was fear. I was afraid of my father until I was physically strong enough to know that I could fight back if he ever hit me again, which was right around the time he apparently decided that hitting me was no longer an effective form of punishment. I'm sure that's just a coincidence, though.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spanish parents do the same shit. I still remember the times I had to kneel on rice for an hour over some outright bullshit. That said, me and my cousins often get drunk and laugh at the ways our parents went at us. Sandal, belt, plastic chair, old heavy ass telephones chucked across the room.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I never ever make threads, but I got to thinking about this because of a recent conversation at a family reunion, and my god, it just frustrates me to no end. So folks're all gathered around a table a little bit before everyone starts dipping, and I'm listening in on conversations from older relatives about their childhood stories, and that inevitably turns into a conversation about experiences with raising their own kids.

A super distant relative I've probably only seen once in my life (who's also white, if that matters?) talks about a moment she had with her son asking for something really expensive, and getting pouty when denied it. Soooo, she beats him for that, and then he (her son) tells her that the teachers at his school say you can't beat your kids, or it's abuse. Her response to that? "I beat him even harder!" Everyone at the table is just whooping and hollering like "YEAH, THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT!" and claiming that it's ridiculous that beating your kids is considered abuse "these days". And I'm just in the background like... what the fuck, man. Why are we like this? Why are we all literally standing around and applauding child abuse? Why can't we see it as child abuse?

As someone who was raised by a mother who beat them as the soul form of punishment for any little thing they did wrong, this infuriates me. I did NOT "turn out just fine" through how I was raised. Personally, I definitely don't feel like a properly functioning adult because of the punishments. Now I just fear failure to an unhealthy degree, resent my mother and feel barely an iota of actual love towards her (though to be fair, she was also pretty emotionally detached as well and lacked compassion).

But forreal. What is it that makes us behave this way with our kids? Obviously I don't think this is black people/culture exclusive, but it feels soooo much more central to traditional black parenting methods, and I really can't stand it.

Generations of having it beat into them that its the proper and responsible way to discipline children.

Jun 10, 2018
I forgot where I read it from, but it has been theorized the level of spanking by African Americans specifically is a kind of transferral generational trauma from slavery. Keep in mind physical punishment was typically handed out to slaves for any act of disobedience, and it's been documented across many different oppressed groups of them perpetuating the same behaviors they used to suffer from.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The relevant graph:

6H51NH7.png

This is the only response that matters in this thread

Deleted member 17658

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see a ton of kids who walk all over their parents so, I dunno, maybe it's a fair form of discipline.

People put kids on leashes because they haven't been able to give their kid common sense.
no it's not. Kid's who you feel "walk all over their parents" are kids with no form of boundaries and consistent consequences for their actions. You don't go from one extreme to the other because you failed parenting at that spectrum. I am around parents with kids all the time and I see this frequently.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes it's very bizarre. Some people seem to take great pride on how they were beaten and how now they beat their kids. It's ridiculous.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I just don't understand why anyone would hit their kids. If my daughter does something bad or something she wasn't suppose to I try and talk to her, make her sit in time out, anything but hitting her. Why would you want your child to associate you with pain? Why would you want them to fear you? You should want them to love you and you love them. You don't harm the things you love. Some of y'all have some faulty logic.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
My father was the kind of dad who used a belt when he got mad, and my mom was the kind of person who would hit me with whatever was in reach, and the only thing either of them ever taught me through that was "if you fuck up, do everything you can to make sure you don't get caught, because getting caught means catching a beating"
That was essentially exactly how it was for me. I never learned any lessons about why what I was doing was wrong, just that I needed to avoid being caught.

Sadly, my sister took spanking into her home. Her kids are spanked. Blows my mind. Well, except for the fact that her and her husband are very conservative and religious, and there's a lot of overlap there with hitting kids.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't catch a belt from my mom very often. It was generally tied to things I was told not to do that were liable to seriously endanger had they gone wrong. Which may be why I'm more risk averse when it comes to physical danger. Can't say I have many regrets about that outcome. She made a point of encouraging me to ask why and to offer mtly opinion even though ultimately I was going to do what she told me (except the rare occasions wherein I was right).

But my mom was pretty unique in our family to begin with in regards to raising me. Probably because she had a hand in raising most of her siblings and saw first hand what did and didn't work.

I'm not going to hit my kids because I believe in the research that affirms it having a negative developmental impact. But were I not exposed to that information I'm not sure I would see the problem or do any differently. And there are a ton of people without that exposure.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if the prevalence of this in black communities might be traced back to slave owners beating their slaves as discipline back in the day and black people subconsciously choosing It as their own form of discipline since it's what they already knew, and then it was just passed down from there
It's definitely a factor. You can't subject an entire group of people to inhumane abuses for generations and not expect that to have an effect on them.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, this sure is an extremely ignorant, racially charged thread title.

Yes, only black people beat their children and brag about it.

Never met tons of other people of different races that do the same.

Nope.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if part of the issue that makes it so widespread among black people is that the behavior reinforces itself in those communities since they're more likely to be in contact with a bunch of other people who also hit their kids and an echo chamber forms due to black people (understandably) tending to prefer neighborhoods with other black people who are statistically more likely to also hit their kids

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
I don't know if it's actually a bad thing to spank your kids every one in a while.

Maybe read any of the numerous, in-depth research studies that state unequivocally that, yes, it's actually really bad to hit children.

IWhat if taking away privileges, time outs, providing explanations, positive reinforcement, and etc aren't working?

A) No one who hits children actually goes through this kind of escalation; they might call hitting a "last resort" but it's usually the first or second resort
B) If you're actually trying all of those approaches and making no progress, your child probably needs some outside help

I've never had to spank my son in order to ensure his compliance. Positive reinforcement works almost all the time, and when it doesn't, time outs (when he was younger) and taking away TV and game time (now that he's 11) gets the job done. My son isn't some special case, some extra obedient and wonderful child; he's just a regular kid who responds to proper discipline the way most children do.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
I am not American, but here it's definitely a minority thing.

Many Brown, Asian and African people support beating kids, if in the first generations of immigration.

Usually, it's something lost between the second and third generation. My mother beat me, but I would never beat my children

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Sadly, my sister took spanking into her home. Her kids are spanked. Blows my mind. Well, except for the fact that her and her husband are very conservative and religious, and there's a lot of overlap there with hitting kids.

That really sucks, and was the basis for my parents' reasoning as to why they did it. I can't tell you how many times I heard "spare the rod, spoil the child" growing up.

Yeah, mom, not hitting me with a fucking frying pan really would be just like spoiling me =\

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
Try harder? Try longer? Reassess what your goal is? What do you mean by 'working'? Kids aren't robots and shouldn't be controlled. Yes beating them could control them in a way, but it isn't going to teach them. If your goal is to teach and nurture then you need to keep working at it. Sometimes it's going to take a long while. That's how learning works.

I don't get why literally every other person who interacts with a kid has to think of some other way of solving the issue, but the people who are with the kids most, should know them most, and should be striving to teach them most, get this pass where they can hit them instead of thinking out and working out other strategies. Like, a teacher doesn't get to throw up their arms and decide nothing works so they'll hit the child instead.
Well teachers used to get to use physical discipline, but parents didn't like that I assume. I wouldn't either because I think it would get horribly abused.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm confused about what your criticism is. Are articles like that not a valid topic of discussion? Do you feel that the title/OP was poorly worded?

It was worded poorly. Our reasons for continuing the act of discipline may differ from other groups (as many, myself included, have already noted here), but the question "what's with black people taking pride in beating their kids?" is...odd, and a different discussion from the one that's taken place here. Pride doesn't have much to do with it. I didn't get the gist from reading the OP that they wanted to have a discussion about the ways in which the practice of hitting your kids might be continued in the black community for *reasons*. Especially since the loudest/proudest person in their own anecdotal example was a white woman. I feel like if anything, spanking is a very southern/religious leaning practice.

And Era's been on a weird tear lately of assigning shared behaviors to something predominantly done by black people (hell, there was one about fucking anime the other day).

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah, it's definitely not a back thing so much as it is a generational/social conservative thing.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Don't make thread titles that are clearly going to trigger people. It's just not smart and people on this forum CRUSH news outlets all the time for doing the same.

Just don't do it. Seriously.
Sure, but still:
Read the Thread Before Replying

When you enter a thread please ensure that you have read beyond the title before you respond. The absolute minimum effort you should put in is to read the original post (OP) in its entirety, along with any threadmarks or staff posts. Asking questions that have already been answered in the OP or threadmarks adds nothing to a discussion. If it is clear that you have not read the thread and missed important information that was appropriately highlighted, you may be subject to moderation.
And I totally understand calling out a bad title, but you completely ignored the OP and acted like it didn't explain everything with much more nuance.

Oct 28, 2017
My ultra religious and Republican father from an ultra religious and Republican family used to abuse me a lot. As the oldest you catch (or try to catch) all of the beatings, you know?

One of the many reasons I'm estranged from him is that he and his current (third) wife are the type of people who post "I got my ass beat by my parents and I turned out just fine" BS all over social media. I'm not a functional adult and I can't even walk outside without having an anxiety attack, so I definitely didn't turn out just fine, you dipshits (referring to my dad and stepmom).

My blood related family is predominantly white and there's definitely a culture of bragging about/being proud of child abuse there (both given and received), FWIW.

Deleted member 50454

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
I don't know if it's actually a bad thing to spank your kids every one in a while. I remember when my mom tried when I was like 12 and I laughed it off. What if taking away privileges, time outs, providing explanations, positive reinforcement, and etc aren't working?

Stop looking for excuses to abuse children.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i dont think this is a "black people thing"

im white af and my dad used to be like "we should have beat you daily for what we know you did and what we dont know about" or some shit like that.

my parents beat me and i did turn out fine, but i will not beat my kids. Thankfully my parents have grown, they actually talked to me about it and said we shouldnt spank our kids and that they shouldn't have spanked me.