• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 13, 2019
The game features a sidequest involving answering a series of quizzes by 3 girls in one of the island you visit. Plenty of games do this but the catch here is that all the questions are about the real world and not about the in-game universe. There are some examples:

How many albums did the Sex Pistols release (not including compilations)?
What group sang the song "Hungry Like the Wolf"?
  • The Police
  • Smashing Pumpkins
  • Duran Duran
  • Ice T
Which one of the following has the lowest chance of being born?
  • Female Himalayan cat
  • Male Black cat
  • Female Siamese cat
  • Male Tortoise-shell cat
What inspired Hinkley to attempt the assassination of President Ronald Reagan?
  • A movie
  • A comic book
  • A mystery novel
  • Confucius' "Annalects"
How many atmospheres can a 30-meter water resistant watch stand?
The correct answers if you interested.

Duran Duran
Male Tortoise-shell cat
A movie

This is still like one of the most out-the-blue (pun intended) thing I've encountered in a game. Looking at the wiki, the Japanese version was the same more or less i.e they ask you the American name of the game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the quiz minigame that you HAVE to do in the Universal Studios game. The questions are shit like "What was the production budget for Waterworld?"

You think a child who bought that game for their gamecube is gonna know what Waterworld's fuckin' production budget was?!

Or how much Marty donated in Back to the Future 2?! I CAN'T EVEN ANSWER THAT NOW!

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah I thought that was weird as hell when I played it last year

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't MegaMan Legends technically like...way, way, way in the future from ours?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I love when games have really out of left field references to the real world.

Obligatory:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Whenever a game has something really obtuse and unusually complicated for the intended audience, the answer to "Why does this exist?" is usually "Please buy our Strategy Guide!"

OP
OP
SteelBeast6Beets
May 13, 2019
Reminds me of the quiz minigame that you HAVE to do in the Universal Studios game. The questions are shit like "What was the production budget for Waterworld?"

You think a child who bought that game for their gamecube is gonna know what Waterworld's fuckin' production budget was?!

Or how much Marty donated in Back to the Future 2?! I CAN'T EVEN ANSWER THAT NOW!
At least that makes sense in the context of the game. What could a Megaman player know about attempted magnicide?

Isn't MegaMan Legends technically like...way, way, way in the future from ours?
I don't think it was ever said if classic megaman took place in our universe. And even so, I don't really think much of the info from our time would have survived the two or so apocalypses this world went through.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At least that makes sense in the context of the game. What could a Megaman player know about attempted magnicide?
True, but there are like 70 possible questions on that quiz and they randomize on every attempt, there's a time limit to answer, and you can only get 3 wrong answers per attempt

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of the quiz in Alex Kidd in High Tech World, I can't find all the choices but the questions were something like this:

1. What's the capital of Japan?
2. What's the 15th scene in Space Harrier (???)
3. How many grams is a pound?
4. Where did the first olympics take place?
5. What's 1+2+3+4+...+98+99+100?
6. How many bones are there in the human body?
7. How many stars are there on the American flag?
8. What's the currency of Italy?
9. Which composer has the first name Amadeus?
10. How many seconds does it take for light to reach the Earth from the Sun?

Not terribly easy for a bunch of kids who barely spoke English! We mostly just played that first level over and over, learning by trial and error.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

I don't think it was ever said if classic megaman took place in our universe. And even so, I don't really think much of the info from our time would have survived the two or so apocalypses this world went through.

Yes it does. Guide books and official notes say the Classic series takes place in the 21st century.

OP
OP
SteelBeast6Beets
May 13, 2019
True, but there are like 70 possible questions on that quiz and they randomize on every attempt, there's a time limit to answer, and you can only get 3 wrong answers per attempt
Yeah, that's true. Guess it is possible to complete the quest via trial and error.

Yes it does. Guide books and official notes say the Classic series takes place in the 21st century.
I had no idea. Thank for the clarification.

I love when games have really out of left field references to the real world.

Obligatory:

I have to pretty much agree with that one guy in the comments about the sequence looking like it was fanmade.

"Probably the most WTF moment of the whole Pokémon franchise." indeed.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I believe this is an homage to the many quiz games Capcom produced in the 90s, such as Quiz Nanairo Dreams, Hatena no Daibouken, and the only one that got translated into English, Quiz & Dragons:

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
I remember reading that first question and being very surprised "they can say sex in a video-game?"

I was also a walking lump of teenage hormones at the time, so I was very attracted to the main lady.

darfox8

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I recall hearing that the quiz was almost completely localized. I don't recall if the JP quiz was a bunch of JP pop culture or not, or if it was just games questions. There's one question in the quiz that pertains to game trivia.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Quizes like this arent uncommon in japanese media culture.
Just go look up these capcom games and note their release dates-
Capcom world
Adventure quiz
Quiz and dragon
Naniro dreams

Quiz (mini) games like that may have been uncommon but they have existed prior to that game.
Furthermore, yakuza games had them tho in some games they couldnt localize them for english releases.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely remember that.

I had a friend print the answers for me, because my internet was down

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I completed all those questions as a kid through trial and error and memorizing correct answers. I had no clue what most of those questions were referencing.