• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
128.gif

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are descriptive words that kind of say a lot, in only one word. Basically a hot take but are sometimes appropriate.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
It's always been a thing on forums and YouTube and whatnot. People latch onto buzz words and repeat them blindly.

Hyperbole
Arguing in bad faith
Toxic

The list goes on.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Low effort response that allows someone to contribute a sense of outrage at the topic, without saying anything of interest or value.

It's pretty much the same level as "first" imo.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Shared human culture means some words become more common than others.

If you don't understand this yet, yikes

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been a thing on forums and YouTube and whatnot. People latch onto buzz words and repeat them blindly.

Hyperbole
Arguing in bad faith
Toxic

The list goes on.
Add abhorrent on there as well. While it's not necessarily a bad thing, but it gets kind of grating when people can't think for themselves and start to parrot words they don't ever use because they saw someone on the internet say it.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People don't like to spit their damn hot-takes while swearing. It makes them seem like disingenuous assholes.

Oct 25, 2017
Same with words such as "gross" and "toxic." What makes them so popular?
These are words that have been in the English lexicon for decades.

I used yikes earlier when someone said something so blatantly racist it was clear to everyone except the poster he'd be banned shortly. Yikes summed it up because there was no need to explain why the post was racist.

Toxic just means poisonous and harmful, often used metaphorically. "This is a toxic mindset." Example if someone were to say "girls like dating assholes instead of nice guys like me", that's a toxic mindset that will cause further harm down the line.

As for gross, have we not always used that word to describe things that we found unpleasant? For decades.

Just another form of hot take without actually saying anything.
I don't think you're using that word right.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes and gross are popular buzz words to use when you want to dismiss or disapprove of something without wanting to reason or argue against it

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
For the longest time I thought YIKES was a just a twitch chat thing until I actually heard one of my coworkers use it in a presentation.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all discovered the word "toxic" and just went to fuckin town with that

As for "yikes", it's just another easy dismissal of a point of view you don't like. You don't have to respond to them; the "yikes" makes it seem like the post in question is obviously self evidently bad. So you get the moral high ground, last word, and no real effort on your part.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how 'Yikes' is anything like 'gross' and 'toxic'.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I find that it's usually used by people concern trolling, rather than a genuine exclamation about something.

Oct 25, 2017
Showing emotion is often a way to +1. Also you have to do it least you be mistaken for the enemy. Same reason bringing up valid counter points to bad events involves hedging one's speech.

Status
Not open for further replies.