• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Narniashark

Jul 1, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Slight Philadelphia suburbs accent just because I grew up there for a majority of my life. Now that I'm in North Carolina, people identify me as a "northerner" fairly quickly...

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a...Canadian accent I guess? I honestly don't think I have one. When I was a kid I apparently had a Boston accent though haha.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
A mix between Kildare-ish and south west Dublin as I grew up in both of those places. Yes Ireland has enough accents where compass positions need to be used for an area smaller than 320 KM squared

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from Northeast Ohio and don't feel like I have one, but when I do somewhere people think I do.

Oct 30, 2017
Not exactly sure, but I guess just a generic American accent, with a little southern and Asian in it—I live in Atlanta, and apparently it's easy to tell that I'm Asian over the phone.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely no idea, I'm terrible with accents. Sometimes can't even tell the difference between someone from America and someone from the UK.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Normal Boston accent that is greatly exacerbated by a speech impediment that makes it very difficult to pronounce my "R"s

So I have the most Boston sounding accent ever, bordering to the point where people from Boston think I'm from somewhere in Europe.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
I have a thick Californian accent. I use so much of the unique lingo from here that it accentuates the accent. Brah

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It's fun reading this thread and mentally hearing the posts in the accents described. People use emoji to add a little tone to their writing on the internet, but a standard orthography for accents in English would really light everything up.

clearacell

Oct 27, 2017
It's fun reading this thread and mentally hearing the posts in the accents described. People use emoji to add a little tone to their writing on the internet, but a standard orthography for accents in English would really light everything up.

It would be pretty cool if, next to our member tag there was an accent tag...you can read it in their accents and it would bring so much diversity to what I'm reading. I do exactly that when I read quotes from a celebrity...its always in their voice.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
It would be pretty cool if, next to our member tag there was an accent tag...you can read it in their accents and it would bring so much diversity to what I'm reading. I do exactly that when I read quotes from a celebrity...its always in their voice.

This is a really great idea. I'll put link to my Pratchett reading in my profile if I can find an appropriate place.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I've lived in:

Milwaukee
Arkansas
Massachusetts
Texas (Dallas and Houston)
St Louis
Indianapolis

Been told that I have a "neutral" American accent. When I was a kid I had a strong nasally Wisconsin accent and I pick it up a bit when I visit back home. It's mostly because my mom's side was from Fond Du Lac.

My dad's side has a far less nasally "Milwaukee" accent marked by a weird way of saying "oh" sounds that I never really had though.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
A very neutral and non-specific American accent with a bit of north eastern mixed in.

Only for a few specific words does my old Chicago accent come out.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I code switch between Texglish, Spanglish, Chinglish, and Midwest American depending on the relationship I have with someone and how tired/drunk I am. Texglish is the default.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Standard Canadian(and by Canadian I mean Ontario-ish) accent.

Used to have a Brazilian accent, but I worked really hard over the years to lose it because people treat me a lot better when they don't hear an accent lol

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Finnish accent, I like to think it's not exactly rally english though. No notable accent in my own language.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
Mix of Geordie and American, I guess? The more drunk I get, the more Geordie I sound.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Standard Canadian(and by Canadian I mean Ontario-ish) accent.

Used to have a Brazilian accent, but I worked really hard over the years to lose it because people treat me a lot better when they don't hear an accent lol

We get that in England, too. My original Sunderland accent and particularly the dialect are quite different from many other accents, so I worked very hard to strike a level I'm comfortable with that doesn't alienate outsiders.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of American accents, what do yall think about this? How accurate is that to you who live in the US?

I was born in South Carolina but I've lived all over the South so idk how mine is. It's also nasally so that's also something else lol.

I'm from Ottawa. But listening to this video I'd say we trend mostly towards the Vermont accent. The example she gives sounds exactly like rural Ontario.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cockney, becomes much broader the drunker I get. I'm fine using the received pronunciation British when I need to, though.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
I'm Australian, but I've had people think I am British... I don't think I have a strong accent, I'd say it's quite mixed between Aussie, Brit and a bit of Kiwi

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Midwest American accent with a bunch of weird mannerisms I got from my parents (wolf and woof are indistinguishable). Then I lived in Dublin and London and so I say "it was quite good" and "it's been ages since I ...". Was just out in the country a bit and someone's Irish gran said she could hear a bit of an Irish accent underneath it all. I actually have a lot of trouble now realizing an American accent isn't just a weird part of the UK I can't pinpoint.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have a very featureless American accent because I grew up outside of Boston and thought people with the local accent sounded stupid so I made a conscious effort to not develop that accent.

Most people think I'm a British person pretending to be American when they hear me speak because my accent is so generic.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Does Los Angeles have an accent? I do tend to sometimes sound like I'm from Southern California. I grew up absorbing Los Angeles though.

Everywhere has an accent, though compared to the British Isles American accents are often less easy to distinguish. I know a Floridian who can easily distinguish the accents of Southern states from one another, but it's probably more difficult for people on the West coast.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I don't think I have one, I doubt anyone would be able to pick out where I'm from by hearing me talk, besides the US

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Depends on what I'm saying. Basically newscaster American with bits of Chicago, southern, Texan, and SoCal thrown in. I'm from everywhere and nowhere.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I apparently have a very light Canadian accent according to all of the southerners I know. They make fun of the way I say "out" and "about". I don't hear it personally.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm Australian, but I've had people think I am British... I don't think I have a strong accent, I'd say it's quite mixed between Aussie, Brit and a bit of Kiwi

Melbournian?

I'm from inner-city Melbourne and I'm rarely recognised as Australian. Granted, I've lived in other countries too so my accent is a bit of a hybrid. Even so, most people either struggle to place me or just default to British - even other British people.

Vormund

Oct 27, 2017
Melbournian?

I'm from inner-city Melbourne and I'm rarely recognised as Australian. Granted, I've lived in other countries too so my accent is a bit of a hybrid. Even so, most people either struggle to place me or just default to British - even other British people.

Adelaide.

That said, I pick up accents really easily...when I went to New Zealand about a decade ago I ended up picking up the accent there. Hopefully they didn't think I was taking the piss out of them.