• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

emir

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
death-stranding.jpg

Hideo Kojima and this game has been torturing us for months. Last night's VGA trailer looks absolutely fucking awesome. Of course dimensions, ghosts etc. millions of theories and expectations began after the trailer. But I'm curious about the Gameplay side of Death Stranding. The details we know are that game will be Open World/Action with some Online features.

Kojima's description about that,

''I can't really speak on (The Gameplay) right now but in a word, it's an action game – an open world game, with a lot of freedom. You have a lot of freedom of choice to do what you want to do and you can get in vehicles and so on. If you are a fighter, there's plenty of opportunity for that. If you're not that type of player, there are other ways to play this game. I can't really say much more, but it's an open-world, action game that's very intuitive to play. Once you get into the world and start to explore more, we're hoping there's something there you've never seen before.

death-stranding-v1-501989.jpg

Again, (The Online Gameplay) is something that we can't say a lot about at the moment but if you want to play the game stand-alone, without an online component, that's perfectly fine. We do have an online component and, again, it's different as there will be something different versus what most people expect from an online game. A lot of games have a 'campaign mode' and once you're done with that you take it to the online mode. This game is not that kind of structure.''

So, what's your expectations?

Last edited:

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to hear more regarding the gameplay, but i expect 60 fps from Kojima.

And after the trailer from yesterday, i guess stealth will be important.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
I reckon it'll play a lot like MGSV, honestly, just with a smaller and more densely-packed open world. Online-wise just Souls invasion stuff.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I really have no idea beyond the fact that it sounds like a style similar to MGSV, but it's going to be made from the ground up. I have this fear that this game will be the Nier of Kojima's games as in the gameplay is lacklustre while the story excells. His best works balanced the two while clearly favoring narrative in MGS3, so one can hope it's as good of a balance and as well crafted as that for what this is.

The horror-elements seen in the new trailer also leads me to believe there might be stealth again despite this being slated as an open world action game. For some reason I also expect whatever action gameplay this might have to be fast-paced in its focus, but time will tell.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I expect a game that superficially plays like Horizon Zero Dawn aka a third person action adventure at its most basic but this game seems like it will be much more cinematic in terms of focusing on cut scenes (I think?) and seems to have a very distinct horror tone.

Not only that but I expect a game that really fucks with you and I don't just mean by being confusing and having some disturbing and bizarre imagery but as we saw in the trailer the environment seems to change quite a bit and in some huge ways i.e. going from a muddy raining landscape to a Lovecraftian nightmare to suddenly being underwater and so on. I expect things like massive and sudden extreme shifts in the setting.

Another thing that distinctly looks gameplay related is the little robotic arms with the almost flower looking light (?) panels that react and seem to point out where the gigantic invisible enemies were. It also seems to be something similar to what Dead Space was doing giving a physical representation of certain UI elements but involving that robotic arm. It really starts freaking out when enemies are close as well as directly pointing out their foot steps but it seems other characters have those on them as well and they have all kinds of actions and reactions to the surroundings.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Occasional QTEs peppered in a 10 hour movie.
This is the first comment I have seen from you I actually laughed at. On the actual topic I don't think anyone has any idea and at this moment I am not sure Kojima does. He has a vision and we will see what that vision is, but he seems to be pointing towards more of a film/game with big set pieces and a deep story or so far for me a weird story.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
For some reason I'm expecting an Uncharted like game. Very linear.

I'm a little annoyed that Sony is letting him show such long trailers almost three years into its announced existence without ever showing gameplay.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Probably similar to MGS4.

Decent gameplay, but with the cutscenes and overall scenario carrying the brunt of the game.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The trailer gives me a survival horror vibe. Kinda like a weird mix between Amnesia,MGSV, and Dead Space.

zsynqx

Oct 25, 2017
So the enemies in the new trailer seem to function like clickers from TLOU, where they are blind and only react to sound, which implies a large emphasis on stealth.

Tbh I think it will end up playing quite a lot like Metal Gear, just with more outlandish enemy types.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm a little annoyed that Sony is letting him show such long trailers almost three years into its announced existence without ever showing gameplay.
Dude, I can't hear it anymore.
It's been 2 years and he was searching for an engine very far into 2016.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know how in MGS games, there is that totally odd mix of "Very Realistic Military Ops" and "OH MY THAT DUDES A VAMPIRE AND NOW IM SHOOTING AT ZOMBIE GHOSTS CATS AND I GOT EAT BY A BEAR"..more towards the later.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017

It was announced less than 18 months ago and there's only been what, three trailers? I definitely think it's been announced far too early but there's plenty of time for a proper media campaign with gameplay footage and the like.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Action-game open world just like what Kojima mentioned previously. I also think stealth will play a huge part in this game too

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude, I can't hear it anymore.
It's been 2 years and he was searching for an engine very far into 2016.
My bad, I thought death stranding was revealed during 2015 the year of dreams. But still, I wish that a new IP would show some gameplay footage to get people excited as opposed to continuing to do this. I don't even know what this game is outside of it's purposely obscured story trailers.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i'm expecting a more tension heavy survival/horror action approach with a strong emphasis on weapon and item conservation and crafting akin to maybe an open world last of us or evil within, rather than the all out assault of say MGSV

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely see it playing somewhat similar to MGSV albeit with drastically different rules based on that world. I'm thinking we'll have a heavy emphasis on stealth and weapon/item conservation.

I'm also thinking that the online component will be something akin to the Souls series. If it's something more traditional (like co-op) I can see there being a Kojima twist on things we normally take for granted. Not talking into a mic while monsters are near could be one!

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Even the most linear MGS games featured play spaces that could be tackled tons of different ways . Open-ended, sandbox gameplay has been Koji's specialty for nearly 20 years now(and why I love him so much) so I totally expected DS to go that route.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
My bad, I thought death stranding was revealed during 2015 the year of dreams. But still, I wish that a new IP would show some gameplay footage to get people excited as opposed to continuing to do this. I don't even know what this game is outside of it's purposely obscured story trailers.
I've seen loads of people saying this and while I definitely see where they're coming from (and to an extent I do agree) it isn't like we have 'nothing' to go on or to get excited about. I'm really excited about this game and it's because the obtuse trailers have left me confused, curious, and desperate to find out more. I don't understand what's going on but that's part of the fun - it just seems so intriguing and a very cool world to explore and discover.

Gameplay footage obviously helps explain what the minute-to-minute will be like, but these story trailers tease the unplayable aspects - the tone, atmosphere, lore, and the like. Still plenty to get excited about even without gameplay.

dancegrenade

Oct 30, 2017
Again, (The Online Gameplay) is something that we can't say a lot about at the moment but if you want to play the game stand-alone, without an online component, that's perfectly fine. We do have an online component and, again, it's different as there will be something different versus what most people expect from an online game. A lot of games have a 'campaign mode' and once you're done with that you take it to the online mode. This game is not that kind of structure.''

Nice! This is exactly what I got from watching the trailer. Haven't really read up on the game at all so reading that quote got me kinda hype.

Oct 25, 2017

Nah, Kojima loves systemic games so I expect the same freedom and player agency as The Phantom Pain, but with different tools and a different setting and probably a different take on online as well.

Game was announced at E3 last year and went into full production this year, you really expect too much at this point. E3 2018 is a better bet for gameplay. I think the trailers are great. Lots of symbolism, intruige and speculation. They're incredibly well-made.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've seen loads of people saying this and while I definitely see where they're coming from (and to an extent I do agree) it isn't like we have 'nothing' to go on or to get excited about. I'm really excited about this game and it's because the obtuse trailers have left me confused, curious, and desperate to find out more. I don't understand what's going on but that's part of the fun - it just seems so intriguing and a very cool world to explore and discover.

Gameplay footage obviously helps explain what the minute-to-minute will be like, but these story trailers tease the unplayable aspects - the tone, atmosphere, lore, and the like. Still plenty to get excited about even without gameplay.
I personally need to see more to decided whether or not I enjoy the obscure nature of the game. Is it gonna be a world where everything is obscure and messed up or will it be something along the lines of a Twin Peaks where there's realism mixed with the obscure that makes the tone really stand out. I think gameplay is a piece of that pie that's missing for me in order to decide that.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Wasn't too impressed with what I saw yesterday sadly, but i'm genuinely intrigued to see what kinda gameplay we get

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
If I was to guess I reckon it will be a 3rd person action game with light stealth, and it will take place in 3-4 large openworlds. I'd imagine the character would have tech-based superpowers with a number of different upgrade trees.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It better not be like MGSV. I hope characters move like humans this time.

Savantcore

Oct 28, 2017
I personally need to see more to decided whether or not I enjoy the obscure nature of the game. Is it gonna be a world where everything is obscure and messed up or will it be something along the lines of a Twin Peaks where there's realism mixed with the obscure that makes the tone really stand out. I think gameplay is a piece of that pie that's missing for me in order to decide that.
Yep, fair enough, that's totally reasonable. I guess I'm too much of a Kojima fanboy haha - I'm eating up everything he's putting out so far and loving it. Can't wait to see gameplay as well.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, fair enough, that's totally reasonable. I guess I'm too much of a Kojima fanboy haha - I'm eating up everything he's putting out so far and loving it. Can't wait to see gameplay as well.
I loved how he did this stuff with MGS, but we already knew what types of games those were going in. So I was more than okay with it for that series. I think I just need the gameplay justification for a new IP. Everything I have seen has been a "the looks so awesome... but..." type of thought process.

dadrester

Nosebleed Interactive
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
I think:
  • MGS style control, animation and fluidity - Seems like a no brainer but MGS feels quite different to control than something like Uncharted, or the Witcher or even Horizon. It's always has an immediacy and more "gamey" feel. I think that'll stay for this game.
  • Death will play a major role in gameplay. Kojima has talked about his ideas for a game with perma-death on several occasions and I think one of the hooks for this game will be based on those initial ideas. In all of the trailers Reedus' character wakes up. I think there will be some sort of Dark Souls-esque or rougelike system in there which makes death a focal point of not only the story but also the gameplay mechanics.
  • It'll have guns... and shooting.
  • I expect the online components to be something like invasions in souls, but more tied into the narrative. This is going to sound like nonsense now but for example if you got caught by the gooey stuff and disappear into whatever (the upside down, let's call it), in order to get out of there you'd need to take down another player and get back up out. In their game you'd be the handprints, but in your game you'd still be the main character but just in a different environment and needing to do something to get back.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
  • I expect the online components to be something like invasions in souls, but more tied into the narrative. This is going to sound like nonsense now but for example if you got caught by the gooey stuff and disappear into whatever (the upside down, let's call it), in order to get out of there you'd need to take down another player and get back up out. In their game you'd be the handprints, but in your game you'd still be the main character but just in a different environment and needing to do something to get back.

That would be awesome.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
It'll be just like MGSV. Which if you look at the similarities was really a prequel for Death Stranding this whole time!

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it'll be a mix of both MGSV & P.T. - you're going to have your more traditional third-person action game controls but a lot of the game's mechanics, plot advancement & general vibe will be psychadelic & often disorienting much like P.T. I suspect there will be a lot of "Did you know if you do this to this thing, something AMAZING happens!?" moments in the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game will control very similarly to MGSV... but it won't be a stealth game.

That 4chan rumor stating this game is basically the concept of PT where people need to work together not actually in the game, but through online message boards, conversations of things they might know to apply in order to figure things out and progress through the game sounds incredibly fascinating... even if it would be a nightmare to review / play without being connected online.

I dunno what the new gameplay hook is. Maybe the baby is a form of respawning back after death.

But whatever it is, I am there day one.

Oct 27, 2017
I reckon it's going to be like the missions in MGSV where you're fighting and/or hiding from things with supernatural powers (shame those were the weakest parts of that game by far).

I'm more worried about the structure though. After Peace Walker and MGSV, I just want a contiguous story without having to return to a home base after every mission to do some F2P-style housekeeping.