• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
International standards for electrical plug and sockets are varied around the world. Here they all are:

GP-12PK-3_600x600.jpg

plugtypes_around_the_world.jpg

And here are the sockets to match:

lejtjspbik511.jpg

As such, it's highly recommended that you get a universal travel adapter before you go international.

Armed with one, you can stick your plug in whatever type of socket you may come across in your travels:

519bvOuMuWL.jpg

Era, what's your favorite type of plug?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you can stick your plug in whatever type of socket you may come across in your travels

Nice. *winks*

But honestly, I hate how this is a thing. As an IT guy I throw away tons of useless cables made for kinds of plugs we don't even have on this continent. And it's lame as hell that I may decide to buy a product in a different country, then I have to do all kinds of shenanigans at home to be able to turn it on. The standard EU plug is fine most of the times, but already in Italy there's a smaller 3-pin type which is completely different and you gotta mess with adapters. I fucking hate this tbh.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I'll choose the wholesome route and go with Denmark. It looks really happy.

EDIT: The socket that is.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
UK is probably the safest, so UK. Although it is a monster compared to some of the others.

But that thread title is bait.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The goat. Safe and robust. Very convenient for heavier, socket mounted devices (like battery chargers).

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
A few weeks ago I saw what sounds like a good argument for UK to win this:

-edit-

Then again, I see Denmark's is smiling, so... that's another serious contender.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The canadian and danish socketes are super cute.

Everyone who complains about stepping on lego has never stepped on a british plug. But as previous posters said they are safe and robust.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I don't mind shameless plugs.

Really though, EU and UK are both great. US is horrible.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Two pin plugs absolutely suck. Over time they end up getting looser and having an unreliable connection. UK plugs are one of the only things I have any patriotism towards.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Schuko is great.

American Plugs lack grippiness. Like, if i plug in my Macbook charger
_DSC8325.jpg

when i'm on vacation in the US, it barely stays in the plug.

European Schuko for Life.
Kribbeln-und-Vibrieren-am-Gehäuse-des-MacBook-MacBook-Pro-und-Air-beseitigen-Apple-Netzteil-mit-Eurostecker.jpg

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like schuko, it's so damn sturdy. Though the slim (ungrounded) two-prong Euro plug is nice for how many of them you can squeeze in a small space.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
G by far, safest and sturdiest, least chance of being accidentally yanked from the socket.

Although I was in Copenhagen last week and damn those sockets are cute.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe I'm responding to a thread on plugs lol but the UK's wins for being incredibly strong. The drawback is they're chunky as FUCK.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
UK, has a fuse in the plug, it's solid and doesn't come out. I live in Australia and it's a shit plug, just have to look at it funny and they fall out, pins bend too easily as well.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
International standards for electrical plug and sockets are varied around the world. Here they all are:

GP-12PK-3_600x600.jpg

plugtypes_around_the_world.jpg

And here are the sockets to match:

lejtjspbik511.jpg

As such, it's highly recommended that you get a universal travel adapter before you go international.

Armed with one, you can stick your plug in whatever type of socket you may come across in your travels:

519bvOuMuWL.jpg

Era, what's your favorite type of plug?
Greenland and madagascar share an otherwise unused plug??

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I like schuko, it's so damn sturdy. Though the slim (ungrounded) two-prong Euro plug is nice for how many of them you can squeeze in a small space.
vincemcmahonfallingoffchair.gif
2516_2.jpg

That's an europlug!

This is a Schuko in all it's glory:

true, ofc, but i use them interchangeably - it's like SchuKo's SchutzKontakt-less little brother ;)

The fun part about Schuko is the fact that it's too grippy for some (elderly people, for example), so there's actual replacement plugs that have pull-rings or levers to wedge them out of the plug

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The UK plug is one thing I still have pride in as a brit.

I always wondered why do different countries/regions have different plugs & sockets?

Basically, lack of agreement to develop a universal standard - a lot of this came to be in the early 20th century and all, and while basic geography has enabled a number of types to eventually cross borders, some are established enough in large/core markets that would be unwilling to overall their entire standard now, particularly if it would be seen as capitulation to a foreign entity.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Any plug without a dedicated grounding pin is automatically trash.
As much as I love Japan, its sockets are ruled out as is the Euro two-prong plug.

I like the American plug for its small size and the 3-prong design is much sturdier than the 2-prong design, but as far as safety features the UK plug absolutely cannot be beat.
The video posted up-thread is a good explanation but fuses on every plug, switches on every socket, and the longer, partially protected live pins are absolute genius that everyone else should adopt.

...the only problem is that it's gigantic.
UK and Australian and Euro power strips are HUGE compared to American ones.
If there was a good compromise that could stuff UK safety features into the American form factor, it'd win hands down.

Last edited:

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
G is theoretically great, but damn happy I don't have to live with such an enormous plug every day. Danish style for days.