• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Devin Townsend Incarnation?

• Devin Townsend (solo)

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Casualties of Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Devin Townsend Band

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Devin Townsend Project

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Strapping Young Lad

Votes: 17 48.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Been revisiting his catalogue by going through a mix of his stuff over the last couple of months, and I'm curious what other people consider to be his best overall project.

modewarp

Oct 25, 2017
I've been very happy with his recent output. It's all over the board. But if you like albums and not singles, each one is a delightful musical journey.

Empath is amazing.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to say. My top five are Terria, Accelerated Evolution, Synchestra, ocean machine and now Empath.

I don't tend to think of them separately at all. It's all Devin townsend to me.

Oct 31, 2017
Probably his early solo career (Ocean Machine / Infinity / Physicist / Terria) is my favorite stuff. Though I got into his music via SYL. City and Alien are great, in particular.

Accelerated Evolution and Synchestra under the Devin Townsend Band moniker were both great too and I think I prefer those two albums to any of the ones I'd listened to from DTP onward.

I fell off of being a regular listener in the last several years so I have less of an opinion on that stuff, but generally I feel that while he became even more prolific in his creation, his actual quality and the diversity of his 'sound' kind of waned.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really listen to much metal lately but I've definitely been on kind of a Strapping Young Lad kick in the last few months. It's just so fucking comically over the top and so tightly produced. Really great band.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This one:

"Take your pipe, put this in it, smoke the fucking piss out of it!"

Oct 31, 2017
I don't really listen to much metal lately but I've definitely been on kind of a Strapping Young Lad kick in the last few months. It's just so fucking comically over the top and so tightly produced. Really great band.

I saw them at Ozzfest when they were touring for The New Black and it's what got me into Devin's music. Their sound was so intense, they pretty much put all other bands that day on notice, and I saw some amazing bands on that day.

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
What does ocean machine fall under? Solo work? If so, then that.

Also, why did he create a whole new band name and not just use Devin Townsend?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly happy with his latest albums. Empath and transcendence are works of art

Oct 31, 2017
Hard to say. My top five are Terria, Accelerated Evolution, Synchestra, ocean machine and now Empath.

I don't tend to think of them separately at all. It's all Devin townsend to me.

I still haven't listened to Empath yet, but I agree that Ocean Machine, Terria, Accelerated Evolution, and Synchestra might be his best albums, so for you to rate Empath up there with them is very interesting!

I need to take some time and sit down and listen to it all in one setting.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Wot, no mention of his incredibly brief stint in The Wildhearts (the UK's secret Best Band Ever)? :-)

Too difficult to pick a specific Devin project, but I've got a soft spot for his SYL stuff as it was where I first heard any of his solo work.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I still haven't listened to Empath yet, but I agree that Ocean Machine, Terria, Accelerated Evolution, and Synchestra might be his best albums, so for you to rate Empath up there with them is very interesting!

I need to take some time and sit down and listen to it all in one setting.

It's definitely good. To me it feels like the variety and whole album experience of Synchestra mixed with the craziness (not heaviness though) of Deconstruction.

As much as I fucking love DTP stuff (and it's quite a lot) I was really craving something that utilized all of Dev's talents and sounds like the old days. It seemed like for a lot of DTP he'd zero in on a particular piece of his sound for each record. With Empath it kinda plays like a greatest hits where everything is new. I absolutely love it and I could see it ranking pretty high when all is said and done.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
He's a wonderful person and positive artist. My favorite stretch of Devin albums was Ki through Ghost. Everything after that has been kind of chasing the same sound without really doing much for me and the stuff before that (with a few exceptions) I just couldn't get into.

Awake

Jan 27, 2019
Can't choose but his output over the last 10 years has been great and I hope it continues. Addicted to Empath at the moment.

Favourites include City, Terria, Accelerated Evolution, Synchestra, Deconstruction.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
*logs in for the first time in a while purely to reply to this thread 😂*

I don't know, to me it's all Devy, I don't tend to think of DT/DTB/DTP as terribly different things (though latter DTP certainly developed a bit more of a consistent sound), obviously Strapping is a different beast (and City is amazing).

My favourite albums are Ocean Machine, Ki and Transcendence (Empath might wind up being something I mention in the same breath, it's excellent) and while Ki is under the DTP name it's not really like what DTP became, so let's go with plain ol' Devin Townsend.

I really loved DTP's output but I'm glad that if he was feeling disillusioned Devin ended it, particularly if he felt pressured to stick to a certain sound and mood with it. Transcendence also felt like a fitting end to that phase of his career. Empath definitely has a wilder, more creative energy to it and it's awesome to hear.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
What does ocean machine fall under? Solo work? If so, then that.

Also, why did he create a whole new band name and not just use Devin Townsend?

after doing the Vai album (Sex & Religion) he didn't really want to put his name out there, so he shielded himself behind "personas": Strapping Young Lad came first and their debut album is actually mostly Dev w/ a couple of guys helping out in certain tracks IIRC. Ocean Machine was supposed to be the other persona/band, but it didn't really pan out (at least not with that lineup) after Biomech, so it was all scrapped. Then SYL got a permanent lineup for City onwards and Dev had a mental breakdown of sorts between that and Infinity, which caused him to reevaluate his outlook on the musical output he was producing: Infinity was meant to be the symbolic union of his both sides, SYL and OM, and thus it sounded all over the place in terms of tone and feeling.

As for the question of the OP... I can't really pick one. If I'm really precise, I'd say his period from late 90s to early 00s (essentially from SYL's City to his solo album Terria) is probably his best IMHO - I consider both Ocean Machine and Terria two of his best albums, period, and City is my favorite SYL album by far. After that he still maintained a high quality but I don't think he reached the heights of those three albums I mentioned (though DTB's Synchestra and SYL's Alien come really close but... no cigar, at least in my view).

After he took a break and rethought his process, went completely sober and formed the DTP... I think the tetralogy (Ki/Addicted/Deconstruction/Ghost) is incredibly strong and varied: at least Ki and big parts of Ghost include some of my favorite material Dev has ever composed. Sadly I think he decreased the quality a bit after the planned 4-album cycle: neither Epicloud, Z2 nor Transcendence are better than the ones that came before though they're still great albums with some amazing moments (I mean... it's Dev, there's usually a couple of "those" moments in probably every one of his albums bar Devlab) and worth listening to unless you intensely dislike "wall of sound" production and/or catchy metal.

But then, Empath... man, this one feels like Infinity to me, but supercharged: a mixture of every side of Dev in musical form. I'm still trying to "digest it" but I love the second half of that album, especially Hear Me and Singularity. It's complex, brutal, funny, emotional, sincere and absurd at the same time. I hope it kickstarts Dev into another renaissance after feeling a bit "trapped" in the DTP sound that was becoming standard - another reinvention a la Ki.

And another thing: I fucking love Casualties of Cool and I hope CoC2 delivers. Ché Aimee Dorval has a beautiful voice and I'm grateful Dev decided to work with her.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
*logs in for the first time in a while purely to reply to this thread 😂*

My favourite albums are Ocean Machine, Ki and Transcendence (Empath might wind up being something I mention in the same breath, it's excellent) and while Ki is under the DTP name it's not really like what DTP became, so let's go with plain ol' Devin Townsend.

first off, kudos for that username 😁

I think you're totally right about Ki and how different it sounds to the rest of the DTP's output. It kiiiinda sounds like Ghost because that's the mellower one, but also doesn't sound like that at all except for, maybe, "Winter" and "Lady Helen" - it really doesn't have the overt new-age influences of Ghost nor its outright beauty. If anything, I consider that the closest album to Ki is Casualties of Cool - I see them as related in my mind, like CoC "grew" out of Ki by taking the blueprint and then doing a different -specific- thing with the same materials. The Ché Aimee Dorval connection also helps in grouping them together in my mind haha
But, yeah, CoC to me feels like an "after-midnight", smokey lounge version of Ki that's less concerned about redefining the artist's sound and more about setting a certain nocturnal mood.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alien is a masterpiece of extreme metal, years ahead of most things released to this day. Got to be Strapping Young Lad for me, fam.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Just Devin Townsend because he'll never top Terria. One of my alltime favorite albums.

Used to be a big fan back in the day but a lot of the DTP stuff just isn't that good. I should give Empath a chance but i'm worried i'll just be disappointed again.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Missed this thread last week mind if I rebump it? The Poll shut too soon, my Vote? Well there is a reason my username is a SYL song, cos I frggin love that band, as well as all the rest of the stuff Dev does (not into hummer/devlab too much tho)

There's good reasons why we love this guy

Puts out an Album (Empath) - people love it so he responds with

Meanwhile on the Empath live side of things

Followed by

Not to mention Moth and the other stuff cooking in his brain, the Ziltoid mobile game I think he said he may do a e.p for that or at least a couple of Songs right?

Who else loved Punky Brewster? Only Dev could put out a Punk pisstake Album and it's frickin better than most pop punk shit in the last 20years.

Oct 25, 2017
The one where he convinces Gene Hoglan to fully commit to making Dark Angel the greatest band in this world again :P

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Bumping this thread - Only saw this today, popped up in my feed uploaded 6 days ago, Acoustic Pro Shot 2029 from CBC - the other month back I believe.

Haunting Acoustic version of SYL's Love & then Normal? Life.

Funeral

Ih-ah

Coast

Love me some Acoustic Townsend.