• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your opinion on Jill's new design?

• Incredible

• Good

• It's okay

• Bad, I prefer the OG design

• Horrible

Results are only viewable after voting.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Saying Jill, with her previous actress's face, is "pretty'" is creepy, but "daddy" is a-OK? Apparently, aren't they all based on actor's appearances?

There is a seismic difference between relishing in the sex appeal of a male character versus that of a female character. This is a huge topic, but here are the bullet points. I'm going to speak primarily from a male point of view as I am male.

-Male characters are not traditionally designed with sex appeal first at the expense of logical design or meaningful personality the way female characters are. A hot male character is an exception, not a pattern, and the hotness of male characters is not elevated as the most important aspect of their identities.

-Women in the real world are impacted by institutional sexism and misogyny based heavily on their sexuality and sexual viability in a way men are not and never have.

-Women routinely suffer degradation and humiliation by men who marginalize them on the basis of their sexuality in a way men do not.

-Gaming is a historically male dominated space where women have been made to feel unsafe or uncomfortable in a way men never have and are not.

-Men, in general, are undersexualized and homophobia discourages men from complimenting and appreciating each other for their attractiveness. Many men do not feel like they can be beautiful, which hurts their self-esteem, and gives them an unhealthy relationship with sex and their bodies. This is routinely reinforced in media. (Example: The Male Body, Seinfeld)

-Not to exclude the women here, but this is largely a conversation a bunch of men are having about another man. Even if every single one of us were gay, the gender ratio is not disproportionate in a way that men's opinions or feelings are being disregarded because the POV you are seeing is overwhelmingly male. This would not be the case if this thread was about Jill. If this thread was about Jill, a room full of men would be thirsting over a woman and the actual female POV would be diminished and excluded. This prioritizes how hot a cartoon character is over the thoughts and feelings of actual women.

-Men have a control and autonomy over their own bodies that women simply do not. Their reproductive health is not at risk or out of their control. Sex is almost always safe for men. It is not always safe for women. So it's super uncomfortable for women to be subjected to a bombardment of sexualization by men who, historically and socially, don't allow them equal rights. Carlos and Jill are video game characters but the men and women in the room are not.

In short: Women live in a world where harmful sexualization and degradation of their bodies is an inescapable nightmare. Men simply do not.

Men sexualizing women contributes to a dangerous and disrespectful environment where women are alienated and embarrassed. It contributes to a status quo that one of the major purposes of feminism is to reduce and eradicate. However, encouraging men to appreciate each other and express fondness for each other's bodies facilitates inter-male expressiveness openness that helps reduce homophobic stigmas.

It's completely fine if you think comments about hotness are weird. I am sorry if they make you uncomfortable and it's cool if you think they're unnecessary. But comments that say "I like that Carlos is hot" and "I think that Jill is hot" don't exist in a vacuum. The context around them and the consequences of them are not comparable. Sorry if you didn't need the essay. :O

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I don't get people talking about Lara Croft... yes pants are common between women. 99% of men use them in games too.
These charcters share nearly identical silhouettes, and design language. Tank top, white undershirt, tactical equipment, rightside thigh holster/storage pouch. As charcter designs, they are incredibly similar.

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I know it's a lot to ask but can someone make a list with all the actresses the new design was compared?

Natalie Portman and Milla Jovovich will win, but there's a lot out there and I don't think she looks like any of them

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I like her outfit but her face doesn't look like Jill to me. It looks like a new character it's going to take a bit to get used too.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
There is a seismic difference between relishing in the sex appeal of a male character versus that of a female character. This is a huge topic, but here are the bullet points. I'm going to speak primarily from a male point of view as I am male.

-Male characters are not traditionally designed with sex appeal first at the expense of logical design or meaningful personality the way female characters are. A hot male character is an exception, not a pattern, and the hotness of male characters is not elevated as the most important aspect of their identities.

-Women in the real world are impacted by institutional sexism and misogyny based heavily on their sexuality and sexual viability in a way men are not and never have.

-Women routinely suffer degradation and humiliation by men who marginalize them on the basis of their sexuality in a way men do not.

-Gaming is a historically male dominated space where women have been made to feel unsafe or uncomfortable in a way men never have and are not.

-Men, in general, are undersexualized and homophobia discourages men from complimenting and appreciating each other for their attractiveness. Many men do not feel like they can be beautiful, which hurts their self-esteem, and gives them an unhealthy relationship with sex and their bodies. This is routinely reinforced in media. (Example: The Male Body, Seinfeld)

-Not to exclude the women here, but this is largely a conversation a bunch of men are having about another man. Even if every single one of us were gay, the gender ratio is not disproportionate in a way that men's opinions or feelings are being disregarded because the POV you are seeing is overwhelmingly male. This would not be the case if this thread was about Jill. If this thread was about Jill, a room full of men would be thirsting over a woman and the actual female POV would be diminished and excluded. This prioritizes how hot a cartoon character is over the thoughts and feelings of actual women.

-Men have a control and autonomy over their own bodies that women simply do not. Their reproductive health is not at risk or out of their control. Sex is almost always safe for men. It is not always safe for women. So it's super uncomfortable for women to be subjected to a bombardment of sexualization by men who, historically and socially, don't allow them equal rights. Carlos and Jill are video game characters but the men and women in the room are not.

In short: Women live in a world where harmful sexualization and degradation of their bodies is an inescapable nightmare. Men simply do not.

Men sexualizing women contributes to a dangerous and disrespectful environment where women are alienated and embarrassed. It contributes to a status quo that one of the major purposes of feminism is to reduce and eradicate. However, encouraging men to appreciate each other and express fondness for each other's bodies facilitates inter-male expressiveness openness that helps reduce homophobic stigmas.

It's completely fine if you think comments about hotness are weird. I am sorry if they make you uncomfortable and it's cool if you think they're unnecessary. But comments that say "I like that Carlos is hot" and "I think that Jill is hot" don't exist in a vacuum. The context around them and the consequences of them are not comparable. Sorry if you didn't need the essay. :O
all of this

Honestly most of my disappointment from Julia Voth not being Jill is her being the first human/realistic face for her, and was the face I attached to her for almost a decade, plus her -own- enthusiasm for the role and dressing up as her at cons/photoshoots. She clearly enjoyed it and its sorta a bummer that won't be realized in an official capacity, even if that's sorta unrealistic

That said, I understand Julia does not have a monopoly on depicting Jill it's not her say whether she does or not, and it's good to have new blood every now and then

Oct 25, 2017
H... how are shoulder pads sexist (I'm legitimately bemused by this)? Her having a unique uniform is in service to her being a playable charcter in RE:1 and established blue as her identifying color. I believe Chris's color has been green in most of he appearances.
latest

Jill is the only person without one, even the helicopter pilot wears a vest.

It then established a trend where Jill never wears a protective vest while all her male counterparts around her do.

I wish Revelations went with this design for example
tg0A9G2.png

They conceptualize it sometimes but never choose it
latest

Last edited:

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
latest

well her and Chris were designed as main characters first and foremost (with kinda anime aesthetics of the time) so it seems obvious they'd differentiate the uniforms a bit, so i don't really see that as blatantly sexist

also i just remembered Director's Cut had a costume for Chris that had shoulder pads thats almost just like Jill's

chrisdc.jpg

c3upw4e83i421.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I also think the new Carlos is much better simply because he's hot.

I don't have a more elaborate reason, he just looks hot and I never gave a shit about the character for less shallow reasons to make a difference for me.

My preference for REmake/5 Jill has nothing to do with which one I find more attractive, but it's basically the only reason why I prefer the new Carlos.

Though, to be fair, almost everyone is hot in RE, so I suppose I could rationalize it as "he actually looks like a main character in Resident Evil now".

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
latest

It then established a trend where Jill never wears a protective vest while all her male counterparts around her do.

tg0A9G2.png

latest
Ohh! your issue is that she doesn't have a vest. I was super confused how shoulder pads could be construed as sexist.

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Rise main outfit

rise-of-the-tomb-raider-hd-wallpaper-lara-croft-game-xbox-360-xbox-one-ps4.jpg

Shadow main outfit

shadow-tomb-raider.jpg

The only thing they match between them and Jill is that they wear pants.
New Jill is very much similar to reboot Lara and way to omit the 2013 model
220px-Lara_Croft_%282013%29.png

Its not necessarily the same exact outfit, thread by thread, but the motif of exact same tank top with cargo pants of new Jill is literally Lara croft from the reboot. Nothing unique here from remake apart from rocking a new hair style. Wish they went a little bit more creative if not for remaking the original design.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
latest

tg0A9G2.png

latest
Ooh the 2nd outfit is nice hope they put that in as a unlockable costume.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I voted "okay".

I'm gonna echo a bunch of people [and hopefully I'm not accused of having a VOTH fetish], but I like Julia's Jill because that is what I grew up with. The GameCube was the first console I bought it with my own money, and REmake was the first game I bought for it. I spent hours on REmake, both campaigns. I have double and tripled and quadrupled dipped into REmake across multiple platforms. I genuinely love the game. When I think Chris and Jill, I immediately think about the REmake model faces. They're iconic imo, and it was great that Capcom was able to remain consistent with the two characters for as long as they could. It sucks that Capcom didn't bring Julia back for Jill but I do like the new model that was chosen and I am okay with the change.

New Jill looks great but her new outfit is...ehhhhhh...its pretty basic, and Claire already had that design in REmake2 near the tail end of the game. While I like the lore speculations as to why she had to slap those clothes together to GTFO....it make sense, but I dun like it. Its better than the OG design tho. Maybe a STARS vest with a white T underneath, keep the black jeans, and make the boots brown with black laces.

Anyhow, thats my two cents on Jill. The game looks great, I'm excited to play it. I think Nemesis looks great sans the piano teeth and I love how Carlos looks! His new design is a huge improvement over the original. I've been looking forward to Adam Sandler's comback for years:
zohan-nlds0iuo8a7i0vlcfdskxvwvog04n2pnlvh4mal1mw.png

Capgod indeed!

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
New Jill is very much similar to reboot Lara and way to omit the 2013 model
220px-Lara_Croft_%282013%29.png

Its not necessarily the same exact outfit, thread by thread, but the motif of exact same tank top with cargo pants of new Jill is literally Lara croft from the reboot. Nothing unique here from remake apart from rocking a new hair style. Wish they went a little bit more creative if not for remaking the original design.

I didn't omit that design though, it wasn't just the point of my post.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I feel like most people who think that a miniskirt is managable during a zombie apocalypse are not women and have never wore one. Like most of the time it would probably just roll up when she dogdes and shit and she'd been better off walking around in her undies.

Wearing jeans makes much more sense.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I voted "okay".

I'm gonna echo a bunch of people [and hopefully I'm not accused of having a VOTH fetish], but I like Julia's Jill because that is what I grew up with. The GameCube was the first console I bought it with my own money, and REmake was the first game I bought for it. I spent hours on REmake, both campaigns. I have double and tripled and quadrupled dipped into REmake across multiple platforms. I genuinely love the game. When I think Chris and Jill, I immediately think about the REmake model faces. They're iconic imo, and it was great that Capcom was able to remain consistent with the two characters for as long as they could. It sucks that Capcom didn't bring Julia back for Jill but I do like the new model that was chosen and I am okay with the change.

New Jill looks great but her new outfit is...ehhhhhh...its pretty basic, and Claire already had that design in REmake2 near the tail end of the game. While I like the lore speculations as to why she had to slap those clothes together to GTFO....it make sense, but I dun like it. Its better than the OG design tho. Maybe a STARS vest with a white T underneath, keep the black jeans, and make the boots brown with black laces.

Anyhow, thats my two cents on Jill. The game looks great, I'm excited to play it. I think Nemesis looks great sans the piano teeth and I love how Carlos looks! His new design is a huge improvement over the original. I've been looking forward to Adam Sandler's comback for years:
zohan-nlds0iuo8a7i0vlcfdskxvwvog04n2pnlvh4mal1mw.png

Capgod indeed!
At least you admit it's nostalgia and not some objective thing.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
I didn't omit that design though, it wasn't just the point of my post.

But that is the point of everyone who compares the new Jill's costume to Lara's: pants (in Jill's case: jeans, in Lara's case: cargo pants), tank top and high boots. New Lara's outfit is also boring, but she makes up for it with her accessories: bow and pickup axe - those two makes her easily recognizable. New Jill's outfit doesn't have anything that makes her stand out, and the muted color pallette in the game makes it even worse by making her blue top look more greyish blue.

I'm glad that Capcom dropped the tube top and the miniskirt, because those two, while iconic, were stupid from the very beginning. I'm just dissapointed that Capcom didn't do anything interesting with Jill's costume - it's a generic "action woman" costume.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's essentially a blue corset/boob tube and miniskirt - very dated and not really what I think about when I think of a tough female soldier type. Just a very weird stylistic choice. I think the renders make it look worse, in the PS1 game at least you had the benefit of it being low resolution. With the renders (both the original and the render of the pre-order bonus for the remake) it doesn't leave any room for the design to hide. It's just not a very good costume and I'm guessing people that like it are seeing it through nostalgia-tinted glasses from enjoying the original game.

Edit: I vaguely remember thinking at the time the original game came out that Jill had got a job as a waitress or something when the outbreak happened - is that the reason for the outfit? It definitely looks like that.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It's essentially a blue corset/boob tube and miniskirt - very dated and not really what I think about when I think of a tough female soldier type. Just a very weird stylistic choice. I think the renders make it look worse, in the PS1 game at least you had the benefit of it being low resolution. With the renders (both the original and the render of the pre-order bonus for the remake) it doesn't leave any room for the design to hide. It's just not a very good costume and I'm guessing people that like it are seeing it through nostalgia-tinted glasses from enjoying the original game.

Edit: I vaguely remember thinking at the time the original game came out that Jill had got a job as a waitress or something when the outbreak happened - is that the reason for the outfit? It definitely looks like that.

It's one of those things that you just ignore because any reason would be dubious. It's a product of it's time. The novelization said it was for "ease of movement" lol.

In my head, it was wash day and it was the only clothes Jill has left.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Saying Jill, with her previous actress's face, is "pretty'" is creepy, but "daddy" is a-OK? Apparently, aren't they all based on actor's appearances?

Ragnorok64; you really shouldn't ignore this response to your post, and act like it doesn't exist.
It's exhaustive, thoughtful, and it specifically addresses and answers your question.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of those things that you just ignore because any reason would be dubious. It's a product of it's time. The novelization said it was for "ease of movement" lol.

In my head, it was wash day and it was the only clothes Jill has left.
None of that really justifies the design though. I know this is all my opinion and other people may like it, but to me it just doesn't present as a believable outfit, and I think it's a bad design. I like the new outfit much more.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Jill was already established as a tough solider type with RE1. I think the original RE3 design conveys the situation well - someone clearly caught by surprise, and anyone else wouldn't have survived 10 minutes. Her wrapping a sweater around her waist and getting on with it conveys a level of confidence.

The newer design does the same, but I would say to a lesser effect. I just don't think there's as much information to glean from it.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Capcom really likes to ruin iconic looks for no other reason than money.

And please stop saying it's for realism, it's a fucking zombie game.

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Capcom really likes to ruin iconic looks for no other reason than money.

And please stop saying it's for realism, it's a fucking zombie game.

Capcom's reason for doing everything is money. They're a business entity who exists to make money. That's the whole idea! Why would Capcom go against what's popular to make less money? 🤔

They were given the opportunity to improve on designs made in the 90s with extremely limited technology and they have done so. People overwhelmingly like these new designs. So what's the problem?

And as far as realism goes: don't confuse realism with reality. Realism refers to the aesthetic of reality and this aesthetic can make fantasy extremely compelling. Horror, I'd say, benefits the most from realism and it's done wonders for these Remakes. We are currently in a Resident Evil Renaissance and the key to this recipe has been realism.

Edit: Whoops, this was a misunderstanding. See below.

Last edited:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Capcom's reason for doing everything is money. They're a business entity who exists to make money. That's the whole idea! Why would Capcom go against what's popular to make less money? 🤔

They were given the opportunity to improve on designs made in the 90s with extremely limited technology and they have done so. People overwhelmingly like these new designs. So what's the problem?

And as far as realism goes: don't confuse realism with reality. Realism refers to the aesthetic of reality and this aesthetic can make fantasy extremely compelling. Horror, I'd say, benefits the most from realism and it's done wonders for these Remakes. We are currently in a Resident Evil Renaissance and the key to this recipe has been realism.

That's what I ment, Capcom's only reason for not using Julia's likeness is money, the outfit isn't an issue for me, my issue is with her face which didn't need a new model.

And thanks for clarifying, yes I agree with you, but how is changing the face of Jill helping in that regard?

Finale Fireworker

Oct 25, 2017
United States
That's what I ment, Capcom's only reason for not using Julia's likeness is money, the outfit isn't an issue for me, my issue is with her face which didn't need a new model.

And thanks for clarifying, yes I agree with you, but how is changing the face of Jill helping in that regard?

I apologize, I didn't realize you were referring just to the face model specifically. I thought you were referring broadly to the new character designs in the remakes in general. I thought you were saying "Capcom is only updating all these characters designs to make money." That's why I was so confused, lol.

I like the new Jill design myself but I can certainly relate to frustration with how the faces of Resident Evil characters is one of the brand's least consistent qualities. I also dislike how often faces are changed. (Chris and Jill in particular.)

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

ooooooor they needed a fresh face scan for a 23 year old Jill with their new RE Engine tech and Julia Voth's is almost 19 years old at this point.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
I apologize, I didn't realize you were referring just to the face model specifically. I thought you were referring broadly to the new character designs in the remakes in general. I thought you were saying "Capcom is only updating all these characters designs to make money." That's why I was so confused, lol.

I like the new Jill design myself but I can certainly relate to frustration with how the faces of Resident Evil characters is one of the brand's least consistent qualities. I also dislike how often faces are changed.

No need apologize, I didn't specify in my post that I was referring to her face only. What really hurts is that the developers and producers of these games want the same models and voice actors but upper management is refusing simply because of financial reasons.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Looks fantastic. Capcom are on a roll with their character designs - Leon also looked fantastic in RE2make.