• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
And I always try to analyze why the recipients were entered in that order. It's one of those things that I think everyone notices but are afraid to ever ask the sender because it might bring to light a previously subconscious preference to the forefront and make the sender realize what he or she has been doing.

Here's some common questions:

- Does being listed last mean that the sender thinks you are the lesser friend or least relevant person?
- Who's more likely to know the answer or get the job done?
- Does the order reflect the boss's favorite and who's more likely to get a promotion?

YoungFa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The order does not matter. You know you are left out when you find out you did not get an email that everyone else got.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
The order is irrelevant. No one is "afraid to ask" this it would just be totally embarrassing.

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Our mail system sorts named by the alphabet automatically when there is multiple recipients.
Problem solved.

Also it was never a problem, if you didn't get the mail, then it would be a "problem".

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Da fuck? I like to think I overanalyze too much, but this is a whole other level. I've literally never thought about this.

The Waistcoat

Nov 8, 2017
I go by the order of who I remember needs to be on the email.

Honestly, when I see my name in a multi-person email I'm more concerned about what has gone wrong and what I need to do to make sure it doesn't come crashing down.

If someone has put my name last on an email to get at me in some way, then they've got bigger issues to deal with than I do.

OP
OP

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It's really a random thing.

It really isn't. Even in cases where the contents of the email is equally applicable to all the recepients, I've noticed that certain people always seem to be listed first, and others listed last.

It's like if I were to ask a person: "Who do you love in life?"

And the person's immediate answer is: "My wife and kids. My parents. My siblings."

It doesn't mean that they don't love their parents or siblings, but they're not the first people to come to mind.

To a lesser magnitude, this is the same thing happening with the order of email recepients.

Griegous

Oct 27, 2017
I go by the order Gmail suggests the recipients to me.

If you analyzed one of my mails you would have wasted 15 minutes of your life. Just saying...

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
They hate your guts. Probably spent a few minutes mulling over including you or not.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I put thought into when emailing is cc vs to. If you're cc'd, I'm keeping you aware cause it might impact you. If the email is directly addressed to you, im actively seeking an answer from you. Order doesn't really matter. If I want someone to answer first, I'm going to address him or her directly in the email.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It really isn't. Even in cases where the contents of the email is equally applicable to all the recepients, I've noticed that certain people always seem to be listed first, and others listed last.

It's like if I were to ask a person: "Who do you love in life?"

And the person's immediate answer is: "My wife and kids. My parents. My siblings."

It doesn't mean that they don't love their parents or siblings, but they're not the first people to come to mind.

To a lesser magnitude, this is the same thing happening with the order of email recepients.
It's not random but you're suffering from neurosis if you think most people put any thought of who they like into the order.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Yeah you're overthinking this.
When I send emails to multiple people the order is always super random and it certainly isn't some kind of ranking from person I like the most to the one I like the least. More often than not it's just alphabetical because I just go through my contacts.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think that is a weirdly paranoic thing to get hang up on, when I send emails to multiple people I typically don't go thinking that ''this person is more important to me so they go first'' nor the opposite when someone sends me a email.

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Be thankful you got the email in the first place.

You go and ask why you were last in the order or something and you won't actually have to worry about it anymore. Because you won't get the email.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
If it's always in a certain order that you've noticed, they probably just have an address list that they use and that's just how they were added into the list. There is rarely an order of "I like this person way more than this person." You are definitely over thinking here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
To this day I'm still upset that my best friend had me in his number 4 spot on his MySpace top 8.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I start typing a name, and then Outlook suggests me some contacts. And while I might have wanted to put John Andrews first, I might put Kyle Johnson first in because he pops up earlier.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
OP do you actually go out of your way to rank people by how much you like them every time you send an email?

OP
OP

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I'm actually quite surprised by the answers I'm receiving here.

Much of communication is non-explicit and non-direct, and can manifest itself in lots of subtle ways. This is merely one of them.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
OP do you actually go out of your way to rank people by how much you like them every time you send an email?

The idea that someone more important to you will be the first person your mind goes to as an invitee is a pretty sound hypothesis. Don't be so harsh on OP. They are obviously referring to unconscious bias.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
The idea that someone more important to you will be the first person your mind goes to as an invitee is a pretty sound hypothesis. Don't be so harsh on OP. They are obviously referring to unconscious bias.
There are dozens of things more likely to influence the order you list recipients in than how much you like them. Attempting to use the order to try and figure out how much someone likes you over others is a pretty pointless exercise when it's much more likely to be one of countless other reasons, subconscious or not.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
When sending email to a group of people that I often email, I actually change the order of the names each time. I do this purposely.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017

Crap!

I knew someone out there was looking and it had to be you OP. Honestly, I have at times reordered the list for this exact reason. It is admittedly a very ridiculous thing but you've just proved my thoughts and actions.

Personally, yeah I've reordered sometimes in terms of general importance or expectations of a response. Mostly I ignore it, but definitely has crossed my mind a few times.

Is it overanalyzing? Probably. But people are weird. I am weird!

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
There are dozens of things more likely to influence the order you list recipients in than how much you like them. Attempting to use the order to try and figure out how much someone likes you over others is a pretty pointless exercise when it's much more likely to be one of countless other reasons, subconscious or not.

Its more important to observe patterns to test hypotheses than it is to be dismissive or to downright not think them up in the first place. What OP shows is that they are at least willing to stump up an idea, no matter how neurotic it seems to some of the other posters who don't consider things like this. No-one ever said it was the factor, just a factor. And any factor is worth exploring and discussing.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Don't read into it so much. Honestly. I've sent many emails to multiple recipients and the order just becomes habit. It doesn't mean you like one person better than another.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is all about the prestige and status, my friend.

It is how we gauge the hierarchy.

I see your name last, you the basic bitch of the group.

OP
OP

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018

Crap!

I knew someone out there was looking and it had to be you OP. Honestly, I have at times reordered the list for this exact reason. It is admittedly a very ridiculous thing but you've just proved my thoughts and actions.

Personally, yeah I've reordered sometimes in terms of general importance or expectations of a response. Mostly I ignore it, but definitely has crossed my mind a few times.

Is it overanalyzing? Probably. But people are weird. I am weird!

You're not weird. I don't think I'm weird.

People who are in tune with the subtleties of communication have higher emotional intelligence.

An IRL equivalent of "email recepient ordering" is the amount of eye contact given to others when a single person speaks to a group of people. I've noticed that the best bosses and leaders give everyone in the room equal amounts of eye contact (regardless of things like seniority) to make them feel part of a team. While lesser leaders will just look at a few people and ignore the others.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually try to put mine in alphabetical order in case someone is as sensitive as OP.