• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Well fuck, I guess Square-Enix just isn't in the mood to publish the games for Nintendo, despite the positive performance on DS in the West for IX.
Well either that or Nintendo wants to publish their games themselves. Either way, I'm expecting the Nintendo versions to be published by Nintendo and be much later than the PS4 version

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Probably after the Switch version releases in Japan. After seeing it take off they probably want a simultaneous PS4/Switch release in the west.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we get a date soon since SE seem to be going big with Final Fantasy at E3 this year.

They will just drop a release date without much fanfare at any point now.

We will probably won't see the switch version for at least 6 months after the PS4 version.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think the PS4 version is simply not going to be localized. Nintendo will foot the bill, but only for Switch.

I'd almost guarantee Shloc are localising it -- the same contractors that localised Dragon Quest VIII on PS2/3DS, Dragon Quest VII on 3DS, and both Dragon Quest Heroes games. It's the same script between both versions, so there's no way the PS4 version is left out.

I hope for a summer release, as it'd be the perfect time. But it could certainly come later in the year. I don't expect a lot of pre-release marketing hype regardless.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm predicting no later than September of this year. So basically "Summer" period.

What I'm most interested about is which versions actually come. Common sense would be the Switch and PS4 versions, with the 3DS left behind. But if Nintendo is publishing, as they have been with this series lately (and certain other Square titles like Octopath Traveler) -- does that mean PS4 is out? Then would we only get Switch and 3DS? Or maybe not 3DS, and only Switch?

Very interested to see how it all shakes out.

I am fairly confident we'll first see the game in English whenever the next "general" Nintendo Direct occurs.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm predicting no later than September of this year. So basically "Summer" period.

What I'm most interested about is which versions actually come. Common sense would be the Switch and PS4 versions, with the 3DS left behind. But if Nintendo is publishing, as they have been with this series lately (and certain other Square titles like Octopath Traveler) -- does that mean PS4 is out? Then would we only get Switch and 3DS? Or maybe not 3DS, and only Switch?

I am fairly confident we'll first see the game in English whenever the next "general" Nintendo Direct occurs.
I definitely think this is a summer game, yeah.

My guess is that SE will localize and publish the PS4 version, the 3DS one won't come, and Nintendo will publish the Switch version eventually with the same script as the PS4 one (like they're doing with Builders).

SE announced the localization plans far too early for the Switch version to be considered, so that'd leave PS4 and 3DS, and as much as I want it I don't think Nintendo's gonna bother with that one.

Also I remember them saying the entire point of the DQ Heroes games was to bring the series back to Playstation and get fans used to play it there, and I imagine SE America made the effort to localize those and Builders with the same mentality.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I might be wrong and I can't find it. But I think Playstation retweeted the announcement video on Twitter.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think this is a summer game, yeah.

My guess is that SE will localize and publish the PS4 version, the 3DS one won't come, and Nintendo will publish the Switch version eventually with the same script as the PS4 one (like they're doing with Builders).

SE announced the localization plans far too early for the Switch version to be considered, so that'd leave PS4 and 3DS, and as much as I want it I don't think Nintendo's gonna bother with that one.

Also I remember them saying the entire point of the DQ Heroes games was to bring the series back to Playstation and get fans used to play it there, and I imagine SE America made the effort to localize those and Builders with the same mentality.
It's very possible Square will localize and publish PS4 while Nintendo publishes Switch, but I don't see why the Switch version would come later nor do I understand "SE announced the localization plans far too early for the Switch version to be considered" having any sort of truth behind it.

The Switch version is coming out later in Japan than the other two due to certain factors, but I don't see why it would have a delayed release in the US. If the localization is done for one version, I don't get why it would be delayed for another. The Switch version would only come later in the West if it still isn't finished. And I honestly believe part of the reason for the wait is to get that version done, not just for the localization to complete.

Sedef122

Nov 7, 2017
Starting to get a bit impatient with this one, if we don't hear any news in six months I will just import. Seems a fair amount of time to give it seeing as it is supposed to be released this year.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
No, I think the PS4 version is simply not going to be localized. Nintendo will foot the bill, but only for Switch.

What would be the point of making a PS4 version in the first place if they're not going to release it in regions where PS4 actually is strong in. Think that one through.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017

lmao wat. No offence but where do you guys get these, frankly, delusional ideas from? Come the hell on.

Anyway, my guess is it'll come out in July/August on both PS4 and 3DS (up until recently I didn't think anyone would bother with the 3DS in 2018 but Nintendo's still releasing a few games on it, so I'm a bit more confident now). I think that July/August slot worked perfectly for FFXII last year, a couple of months before the holiday clusterfuck, and could see them doing it again. Then KH3 can come out during the holiday season, since it's a big enough franchise that it won't get lost in the shuffle.

The Switch version, on the other hand, I'm guessing will come out in Japan in late 2018 and then localised in early 2019.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
June at best, September at worst.
Before that is too soon, after is KHIII's time.

I hope for June-July, DQ are the perfect summer games.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, that's not happening.

Not gonna say anything further cause I already opted with ZhugeEX I would not since I do not want to share my source for personal reasons. Just stay patient.

Wait, you're an insider now? Since when? At SE specifically or what?

Can't wait for your insight. Hope you get the biggest of the scoops.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Guess SQEX waits for the Switch version to be revealed and intends to publish the game as a PS4/Switch dual release in the west.

3DS version is up to wether or not Nintendo wants to foot the publishing bill ... which is 50/50 as they clearly want to squeeze out as much as they can out of the 3DS, but a 3DS version might steal some interest from the Switch version.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
3DS version and perhaps the 3DS itself will be an afterthought by the time switch version is localized

Dunno, why do you think Switch will get a seperate localization? I assume PS4 and Switch will be one version, with 3DS being the outlier version, and expecting both, the reveal of Switch version in Q2 2018 and the western release of PS4/Switch in the latter half of 2018.

I'd agree that in 2019 the 3DS will be dead, outside of Atlus getting some strange ideas again maybe, but for 2018 Nintendo did double down on supporting the system. So it could at least be up for consideration. Doubt that SQEX would've any problems with a release of the 3DS version, as long as Nintendo pays for it and will publish it themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Fall to Winter 2018 would be my guess.

Feels like anything else would be way too fast. Chances are they probably started on the localization shortly before, or after the release of the Japanese version.

I'd love to be proven wrong though!

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, why do you think Switch will get a seperate localization? I assume PS4 and Switch will be one version, with 3DS being the outlier version, and expecting both, the reveal of Switch version in Q2 2018 and the western release of PS4/Switch in the latter half of 2018.

I'd agree that in 2019 the 3DS will be dead, outside of Atlus getting some strange ideas again maybe, but for 2018 Nintendo did double down on supporting the system. So it could at least be up for consideration. Doubt that SQEX would've any problems with a release of the 3DS version, as long as Nintendo pays for it and will publish it themselves.

even the japanese switch version is looking to be a ways off. by the time you get to localizing its just not going to matter that far out, probably talking about well over a year from now... and even then 3DS has a consolidated base when it comes to jrpgs. not like folks are particularly averse to "double dipping" on switch versions anyway

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Likely just a few months, and will possibly release simultaneously with the Switch version.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Supposedly KH3 is coming out this year, so it will either have to come out 3 or 4 months before or after. I personally don't believe they will release both games in the same year however.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
June would be nice. Although I'm expecting September. Though both wouldn't be bad I guess.

And I certainly hope it's not getting artificially delayed for the Switch version. Fuck that noise.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
even the japanese switch version is looking to be a ways off. by the time you get to localizing its just not going to matter that far out, probably talking about well over a year from now... and even then 3DS has a consolidated base when it comes to jrpgs. not like folks are particularly averse to "double dipping" on switch versions anyway

And what are the reasons you think that the Switch version is that far off? Because we haven't seen it yet? It's not like SQEX has to completely develop the game from ground up, and neither do they have to work on the games script or the translation again.

Even if you're right, which i doubt, then Nintendo always has the option of just releasing the 3DS version alongside the PS4 version in 2018, that one's finished, and i'd guess the only question is wether Nintendo will see reasons to pay for it's localization.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'm not very positive on the Switch version, there was the buzz that Sony backed SE for this game (or at least is one of their marketing sponsors), and then SE's statements are also suspicious:

- SE said that DQXI sold more on PS4 than 3DS at launch (despite then it ended being the 3DS the best selling version in Japan for obvious reasons)

- SE didn't want to talk about the Switch version for "adult reasons".

I hope i'm wrong because DQXI is one of my most anticipated games for the Switch, but i wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a lazy port (similar to DQ Heroes), or even delayed to fall 2019 when the hype will be pretty much gone.

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can live with no VA, but I really don't want to play the game with the lame-ass MIDI quality music on a PS4 game of all things. Sugiyama's ancient ass is probably preventing it.
Is there even a MIDI version for this game's soundtrack? Even with the 3DS version in mind I can hardly fathom it existing, and I wouldn't consider Sugiyama petty enough to create a MIDI version just to spite western gamers.

- SE didn't want to talk about the Switch version for "adult reasons".
When was that? Last thing I heard was Horii stating that the Switch version will be developed using UE4 back in October 2017 (Link to the siliconera article covering this here), so this feels a bit out of the blue.

@topic: I'm holding on to the belief that this game's localized versions will drop on all platforms the same day that the Switch version hits Japan. Feels like the logical thing to do, imho.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Voice acting??? Source? I would love this but it's been reported that it won't happen.

The producer of the PS4 version did a Q&A on Twitter and he was asked if the Switch version had full voice. His response was to please wait for a future announcement. Consider that he did not have to answer this question in the first place, and the answer is fairly optimistic, and also consider that they have been hiring voice actors for DQ11 characters (for Itadaki Street and other games); I'd say that the chances of the Switch version getting VA are pretty high.

And for the NA release, I find it very unlikely that any version will release without VA. It's a major hangup for western gamers and SE knows that.

charlieman999

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I hope i don't have to play the game with that horrible midi nusic the japanese version has, orquestrated soundtrack like the north american ps2 version of DQ8 please

flowsnake

Oct 25, 2017
Is there even a MIDI version for this game's soundtrack? Even with the 3DS version in mind I can hardly fathom it existing, and I wouldn't consider Sugiyama petty enough to create a MIDI version just to spite western gamers.

I thought it was the other way around, that the soundtrack is midi in all versions so far.

Is there even a symphonic suite for it yet?

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The level of spite the old forum had against Japanese people for wanting to play with no VA and synthesized music was hugely embarrassing

dedacc

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I thought it was the other way around, that the soundtrack is midi in all versions so far.
Oh, you're right... this game only seems to have a MIDI soundtrack. I thought they went with an orchestral soundtrack right off the bat, but apparently that is not the case for whatever reason. I wouldn't mind the game not having VA, but this is a bit weird, unless they think the only way this would be appreciated is if it has MIDI.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect both the PS4 and 3DS versions to get localized and released sometime this year. There really hasn't been much info on the Switch version yet, not even a screenshot or a Japanese release announcement. So localization probably won't happen for quite some time if at all.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What would be the point of making a PS4 version in the first place if they're not going to release it in regions where PS4 actually is strong in. Think that one through.
I did. I think a lot of what they do is odd. They put Dragon Quest X on every platform possible, but refused to localize.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Square Enix will localize and publish the PS4 version of DQXI, of course they will. It would be utterly insane if they didn't.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did. I think a lot of what they do is odd. They put Dragon Quest X on every platform possible, but refused to localize.
It's an MMO in a market that has heavily shifted away from them. Ff14 and Wow are both doing well, but they are the last vestiges of the boom. And DQ isn't that profitable of an IP in the West. Not to mention the amount of content there is to localize. Either do it all and get the West up to speed day one (a collossal undertaking that will take a long-ass time) or do it version by version, keep the West behind Japan until it's death. The time for DQ10 has since past. Best to give up on that idea

Shauni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That actually makes sense, though. DQ doesn't have the audience abroad to sustain a MMO level undertaking that requires continuous maintenance and updating. That's probably the least odd thing they've done with the series outside Japan lol

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That actually makes sense, though. DQ doesn't have the audience abroad to sustain a MMO level undertaking that requires continuous maintenance and updating. That's probably the least odd thing they've done with the series outside Japan lol
I'm aware, I'm just not sure why they ported it to so many platforms.