• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still think they want to release PS4 and Switch at the same time in the west. ofc this depends how long the Switch version is a long which we just don't know.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's always best to release any SKUs you can at once, presuming the first parties aren't willing to help co-market. However, it's Dragon Quest. Sony would be happy to co-market the game, so SE can't lose either way. If the Switch version is ready in time (no chance), they can ship both at once, make the marketing more effective, or if they have to ship separately, Sony will help them out with the PS4 one.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Based on? You guys act like they're developing a whole new game from ground up instead of porting what's already there to a weaker specced device.
Well, the obvious thing will be that it comes out along side the 'International' re-release in Japan, which will be after the actual international release. I also think it's a much bigger task than you seem to suggest. I also think if it was coming any time soon, they'd have known at least something from it.

We shall see. I believe the Western PS4 release will come before a Switch release, but I could be wrong, obviously.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As far as the PS4 version, it really depends on when (or if) KH3 is coming out (LOL). If they actually expect it to hit this year, I expect KH3 to be a November title and DQXI to be released in August/September.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have to assume Nintendo is handling localization directly for the 3DS and Switch versions, so we should find out soon.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It's always best to release any SKUs you can at once, presuming the first parties aren't willing to help co-market. However, it's Dragon Quest. Sony would be happy to co-market the game, so SE can't lose either way. If the Switch version is ready in time (no chance), they can ship both at once, make the marketing more effective, or if they have to ship separately, Sony will help them out with the PS4 one.
How much co-marketing and support has Sony done for western DQ releases in recent years? Now how much has Nintendo done?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, the obvious thing will be that it comes out along side the 'International' re-release in Japan, which will be after the actual international release. I also think it's a much bigger task than you seem to suggest. I also think if it was coming any time soon, they'd have known at least something from it.

We shall see. I believe the Western PS4 release will come before a Switch release, but I could be wrong, obviously.

What "International" re-release? I'm not aware of FF-style "International" re-releases for DQ games, and after checking i'm sure DQ 8 and DQ 9 (aka the only ones that did release worldwide, not counting remakes) didn't have one. The only re-release i'm aware of was when DQ 8 was added to SQEX Ultimate Hits and Sonys Greatest Hits line.

It surely isn't that easy to port, but it's also not an impossibly hard task that takes up to 2 years after initial release. And again, just because we haven't seen anything doesn't mean much at all, it's just that SQEX has been, is and probably always will be acting strange in terms of DQ.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be the perfect Summer Vacation JRPG but I doubt it'll make it, expecting Fall or Winter.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
What "International" re-release? I'm not aware of FF-style "International" re-releases for DQ games, and after checking i'm sure DQ 8 and DQ 9 (aka the only ones that did release worldwide, not counting remakes) didn't have one. The only re-release i'm aware of was when DQ 8 was added to SQEX Ultimate Hits and Sonys Greatest Hits line.
Yes, they haven't done them previously. I thought I'd read they'd confirmed one this time, but googling hasn't come up with anything, so I'm likely misremembering.

We'll see, I don't think the Switch version will be ready in time.

Well since the last mainline DQ to come to a Sony platform was VIII, why on Earth would they market them at all 'in recent years'?
If Sony was at all interested in the series outside of Japan, don't you think that they would have lent a hand on the spinoffs that have released? I don't know about you, but it's not a good look for third party relations if a first party picks favorites and lets the rest of the output die on the vine, especially as miserably as the Heroes games have performed.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
If Sony was at all interested in the series outside of Japan, don't you think that they would have lent a hand on the spinoffs that have released? I don't know about you, but it's not a good look for third party relations if a first party picks favorites and lets the rest of the output die on the vine, especially as miserably as the Heroes games have performed.
Picks favourites? Of course they pick favourites. They don't co-market every game. They're co-marketing RDR2, for example. It was going to do 8-10 million regardless, it's not about 'saving' a game.

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Sometime in June/July is what I'm thinking.
I do hope they actually make a dub in the localized version, just like they did with DQVIII in west.

ZER0

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo for sure will publish the Switch version, so probably will be announced in a direct.
I guess Q3 2018.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is the PS4 version will be September 2018. I am not sure about Switch release. They still haven't shown the JP Switch version and that would be kinda jacked up to hold the PS4 localization until Switch localization is confirmed. I only see that working if the Switch version is a WW release, then PS4 west release could be the same day. However, we only know of PS4 localization confirmed. Do we know who is publishing the PS4 west release?

My guess is the PS4 version will be September 2018. I am not sure about Switch release. They still haven't shown the JP Switch version and that would be kinda jacked up to hold the PS4 localization until Switch localization is confirmed. I only see that working if the Switch version is a WW release, then PS4 west release could be the same day. However, we only know of PS4 localization confirmed. Do we know who is publishing the PS4 west release?
No, and funny enough, we don't actually have an official announcement for the PS4 version. We only found out about that when one of Sony's Youtube channels hosted the localization announcement trailer.

We were supposed to get more details on the localization this past fall, but as you can tell, Squenix can't manage this series for shit.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've always said 2019 and I've always been laughed at when I said it a the old site. Spring/Summer 2019 is still my guess.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Do we know that for sure? I thought there was a possibility it could visually be an HD version of the 3DS game.
Well, no, we don't know for sure, but it's using UE4, so it seems far more likely to be a port of the PS4 game rather than either 'half' of the 3DS one, or a whole new game.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeap like they won't release PS4 version on west.

You are crazy... my post is perfectly fine in response to your nonsense.
Your posts literally are ad hominem without any argument whatsoever. If you think that's reasonable, fine, but it definitely doesn't seem like you're interested in any discussion.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know that for sure? I thought there was a possibility it could visually be an HD version of the 3DS game.

It has been said via SQEX that the Switch version is being developed with UE4, like the PS4 version. I doubt that SQEX would put out the extra work of making a UE4 variant of the 3DS version, where the dual look gimmick from the beginning can't really be used.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It has been said via SQEX that the Switch version is being developed with UE4, like the PS4 version. I doubt that SQEX would put out the extra work of making a UE4 variant of the 3DS version, where the dual look gimmick from the beginning can't really be used.
Well, no, we don't know for sure, but it's using UE4, so it seems far more likely to be a port of the PS4 game rather than either 'half' of the 3DS one, or a whole new game.
Hmmm... then I really wonder why we haven't heard or seen much from it this far, especially with the Switch performing as well as it has.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
When was that? Last thing I heard was Horii stating that the Switch version will be developed using UE4 back in October 2017 (Link to the siliconera article covering this here), so this feels a bit out of the blue.

@topic: I'm holding on to the belief that this game's localized versions will drop on all platforms the same day that the Switch version hits Japan. Feels like the logical thing to do, imho.

Back in May

https://www.dualshockers.com/dragon-quest-xi-nintendo-switch-square-enix-cant-talk/

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I tend to think the PS4 and Switch versions launching together overseas might make more sense if possible Switch additions (orchestrated soundtrack, voice acting, new content, etc) were folded back into the western PS4 version. The dev team likely isn't going to tackle all these things separately, it makes some sense that the dev pipeline for the UE4 version handled all future release plans (Switch dev, PS4 loc, Switch loc) simultaneously since they came back to the game last fall.

I also think we might see the 3DS version too since that big 4chan 3DS rumor mentioned Nintendo bringing it specifically. Although I wouldn't expect any additions to that version, it'd be fine without voice work and with more retro audio.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The PS4 and 3DS have the same dialogue. They will all share the same localization regardless of who publishes it.
Wow, I didn't know that. Exactly the same you mean? Like the exact same number of lines?

I kind of imagined them to be interpretations of the same central idea, not like perfectly aligned.

Deleted member 15538

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summer or early Fall would be nice, I feel like Ni No Kuni II is going to take me a while to finish. Also, is DQB2 expected this year in the West?

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I hope the PS4 localisation isn't being held back by the switch. I want to play this game as soon as possible.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Wow, I didn't know that. Exactly the same you mean? Like the exact same number of lines?

I kind of imagined them to be interpretations of the same central idea, not like perfectly aligned.
It is basically the same game with different graphic Engine.

The dialogues and story are the same.

I hope the PS4 localisation isn't being held back by the switch. I want to play this game as soon as possible.
I don't think so.

PS4 localization will probably receive a date before the game releases on Switch in Japan.