• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 907

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, my first sentence in my first post in this thread is the Reason I bothered posting. But thank you for assigning intent to me.
You're welcome. It's plain to see since you wrote a lot more about appropriating the partners voice in the initial post and keep avoiding the subject.

You also have nothing to add to the discussion since you think going "both-sides" is an answer to racism as if Asians weren't forced to become "Asians."

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are 100% excusing their bullshit behavior with this entire post. This is the craziest thing I've read in this thread yet.

Last I checked you normally only marry one person. What do demographic stats have to do with how these men personally choose to conduct themselves?

Also, I know it's going to be a shocker to some people, but when you're married to someone you generally talk to them about everything. So I don't see why it is automatically invalid for someone to share their spouse's or their collective view on a subject that clearly impacts them both.
There's some difference between sharing your belief and sharing someone else's beliefs as an appeal to authority.

But partnerships have shared experienced and develop shared views. Thus, the blanket dismissal seen here by presumably unmarried posters reveals a fundamental ignorance of how relationships work.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me for my ignorance, but I've never seen the descriptor of "I don't date Asian men/woman because they remind me of my sibling/cousins" used by any other racial group. Is there a reason why this is a thing? It just comes off as internalized racism to me.

Yeah that's some weird shit. I don't date bald guys with a certain head/face shape because it's too close to some members of my family but that's not as vague as "I don't date X race." I don't date people with specific features that look like my family members.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uh what. I literally said in the post there is no excuse for that. But just because some assholes decide to be assholes doesn't mean we can't discuss the underlying issues that permeate the whole topic.

You said there is no excuse while also spending a whole bunch of words expressing your understanding for their actions and their plight. It sure looked like you were excusing them while claiming you were not.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
You said there is no excuse while also spending a whole bunch of words expressing your understanding for their actions and their plight. It sure looked like you were excusing them while claiming you were not.
What's the correct take to have? Everybody in the thread agrees Celeste Ng doesn't deserve any harassment. What's left is the underlying systemic issues that have lead to this situation. Or denying that it is anything more than jealous dudes I guess.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly you only get mad at this if you're not getting any. People mad about "their race" dating other races need to close the computer and go outside and actually meet people. Sitting around and feeling salty isn't going to make you any more attractive.

Also open up your dating pool. If you refuse to date someone because they're from another "race" you're missing out on a potential soul mate because you're a fucking idiot.

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the mischaracterization perpetuated generalizations and stereotypes against Asian men that, according to you, even she found racist. In a way your comment could've validated such beliefs that writing off Asian men is reasonable and right.
I don't think you represented my post exactly tbh

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's the correct take to have? Everybody in the thread agrees Celeste Ng doesn't deserve any harassment. What's left is the underlying systemic issues that have lead to this situation. Or denying that it is anything more than jealous dudes I guess.

Pretty sure that's how we handle the white incels, so yeah.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Yeah that's some weird shit. I don't date bald guys with a certain head/face shape because it's too close to some members of my family but that's not as vague as "I don't date X race." I don't date people with specific features that look like my family members.

It's even more pathetic when you realize a lot of the women saying this are Chinese or of Chinese descent... there's more than a billion Chinese people out there. Literally the worst background to have to make this comment.

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
American "race" stuff is so confusing... especially because this sounds more like a cultural thing. Not sure why Chinese nationalism is equated to being "Asian"

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't seem overly concerned with making a distinction between the harassers and people who think there's a deeper problem.

I think people should be pissed if they have been unfairly generalized a certain way and they should work to correct people at every chance.

I don't think that in any way excuses harassment, resentment towards women and the men with whom they are involved romantically, or any kind of sense of entitlement over women who happen to share your skin color or general ethnic group. All of that is some ugly bullshit.

There are obviously several aspects of this situation being discussion. Quite a few threads to pull on in this ball of twine, and all of them more thought provoking that this being all about incels, and dusting off hands as a dismissal.

If we're OK with telling white incel harassers to fuck off and not interested in what led them to their abhorrent behavior, then we should be OK with telling all incel harassers to fuck off and equally not be interested in what led them to their abhorrent behavior.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
American "race" stuff is so confusing... especially because this sounds more like a cultural thing. Not sure why Chinese nationalism is equated to being "Asian"
It's not about Chinese Nationalism, as mentioned, this topic is much deeper, and the unfortunate reality is that while yes, the harassment is real with Celeste, her article only paints one side of the story. If you check the Plan A article/Topic here (and earlier in the topic):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-deeper-roots-of-internalized-racism-in-asian-americans.74699/

You'll see there is more to this than it being nationalism (Which it is not)

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I think people should be pissed if they have been unfairly generalized a certain way and they should work to correct people at every chance.

I don't think that in any way excuses harassment, resentment towards women and the men with whom they are involved romantically, or any kind of sense of entitlement over women who happen to share your skin color or general ethnic group. All of that is some ugly bullshit.

If we're OK with telling white incel harassers to fuck off and not interested in what led them to their abhorrent behavior, then we should be OK with telling all incel harassers to fuck off and equally not be interested in what led them to their abhorrent behavior.
Nobody is excusing the harassment though. And I disagree that this should be ignored or dismissed.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

Did you just walk in without reading this thread? This has nothing to do with Chinese nationalism and everything to do with race/Asianess.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a bit confused. She should date whoever she wants to date but that excuse, about they look like her cousins, is weird AF.

She also apologized about her weirdness, but does that mean that if she wasn't married she now all of sudden doesn't think they look like her cousins? A preference is a preference, its fine, but if you want to talk about it in public than just be honest.

Also i have never heard anyone say anything like that.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is excusing the harassment though. And I disagree that this should be ignored or dismissed.

I'm sorry, but saying that there are legitimate reasons that lead to that kind of behavior is excusing it. Responding to an article about harassment at the hands of Asian American men by trying to shift the discussion to how Asian American men are persecuted and unfairly emasculated in popular media sure feels like it's approaching victim blaming to me.

It is of course possible to talk about what can be done to improve Asian American men's standing in society, but it seems wildly inappropriate in the context of this thread, which is about Asian women being harassed by Asian men.

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sorry, but saying that there are legitimate reasons that lead to that kind of behavior is excusing it. Responding to an article about harassment at the hands of Asian American men by trying to shift the discussion to how Asian American men are persecuted and unfairly emasculated in popular media sure feels like it's approaching victim blaming to me.

It is of course possible to talk about what can be done to improve Asian American men's standing in society, but it seems wildly inappropriate in the context of this thread, which is about Asian women being harassed by Asian men.

Let's not criticize racist then on the base that they're women? That's essentially what you're saying.

PureLeaf

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

You sound exactly like the "hall monitors" described in the PlanA piece. Especially when the thread created to focus on Asian American men discrimination in response to this thread is sitting at less than half a page 24+ hours in.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's not victim blaming, and she sure as hell deserves criticism, but it's definitely seeking to shift the focus away from the harassers and paint them as victims of third parties.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk I'm an asian american born and raised I have 8-9 side pieces and a wife

GIT GUD
GIT FUCKING GUD
no sympathy for men or women of any race

make your own fucking way
watch more fucking anime
win the fucking game
stop making fucking excuses for any race

eat fucking sandwiches and creampie them all

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not criticize racist then on the base that they're women? That's essentially what you're saying.

Context matters. This thread's topic is about the harassment that the author of the article faced. Digging up other shit she said and saying she has internalized racism (basically calling her a white lover and Asian hater, which is very similar to the messages of harassment she has received) is nothing but an attempt to say that the real victims are the Asian men who are persecuted to the point of lashing out. The emasculation of Asian men in media and popular culture is a topic worth discussing, obviously, but it looks really shitty in the context of this topic.

F2BBm3ga

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

GIT GUD
GIT FUCKING GUD

watch more fucking anime
win the fucking game

giphy.gif

Thank you for contributing nothing

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
Context matters. This thread's topic is about the harassment that the author of the article faced. Digging up other shit she said and saying she has internalized racism (basically calling her a white lover and Asian hater, which is very similar to the messages of harassment she has received) is nothing but an attempt to say that the real victims are the Asian men who are persecuted to the point of lashing out. The emasculation of Asian men in media and popular culture is a topic worth discussing, obviously, but it looks really shitty in the context of this topic.

I think it's you that is not understanding the context of her message.
"Stop harassing me, oh btw I don't like black people and my harassers are black."

valeo

Oct 27, 2017
My wife's background is Asian, though she was born in a western country and grew up there.

I've read a lot of the arguments against WMAF relationships and, while I understand some of the criticisms - i.e. Asian women pulling the 'I don't want to feel like I am dating my brother/cousin/whatever' card (which is damn stupid), most of them just seem to stem from weird jealousy. I *do* think a there is a bit of self-hating going on, which is perpetuated by the media and general public opinion, though. I've spoken to lots of friends who felt like they had to be 'more white' growing up, and having a white partner was an easy way to acceptance in their social group.

As a white dude, it's uncomfortable for me to hear - but there is some truth to it.

Does it justify harassment? Of course not, but there is a reason these people are out there.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

GIT GUD
GIT FUCKING GUD

watch more fucking anime
win the fucking game

Quality™ Post

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn

GIT GUD
GIT FUCKING GUD

watch more fucking anime
win the fucking game

Quality Phil post.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

GIT GUD
GIT FUCKING GUD

watch more fucking anime
win the fucking game

*taking notes*

You need to host your own TED Talk, Phil!!! I am learning so much from this. What kind of creampie do you eat? Banana cream? Chocolate cream?

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody is saying women shouldn't have the simple liberty of being with whoever they want. But I think Celeste intentionally muddied the water because she will do and say racist things then lump all Asian men as having an issue with her solely because she is married to a white man.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*taking notes*

You need to host your own TED Talk, Phil!!! I am learning so much from this. What kind of creampie do you eat? Banana cream? Chocolate cream?

the main problem is people need to stop listening to the media machine or what have you and make there own way though life
blaze a trail so to speak
life is too beautiful and robust to let something as trival as the internet or media stop you

do whatever the fuck you want, if you can get away with it (with in reason) but still
the main issue is got a problem with media or culture ? representing your race ?
don't subscribe to its bullshit
make your own bullshit and make other people submit to it.

GAMERS, EVERYONE
Rise UP
be heard, make others go deaf

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It's not victim blaming, and she sure as hell deserves criticism, but it's definitely seeking to shift the focus away from the harassers and paint them as victims of third parties.
That would be because this all stems from said third party, AKA systemic racism. There would be no discussion at all if nobody talked about it beyond 'yeah fuck those guys', nor do I believe that shutting down any attempt to look at the causes versus addressing the symptom is helpful.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would be because this all stems from said third party, AKA systemic racism. There would be no discussion at all if nobody talked about it beyond 'yeah fuck those guys', nor do I believe that shutting down any attempt to look at the causes versus addressing the symptom is helpful.

I'm not about to feel sorry for any sad sack who feels like he has any say in what relationships women who just happen to belong to his general racial group have. Hard stop right there. Doesn't matter what race they are. They do not have any kind of ownership over any women and they are not owed relationships or sex just for existing. You're basically excusing incel behavior as long as it is done by persecuted minorities and not white people.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not about to feel sorry for any sad sack who feels like he has any say in what relationships women who just happen to belong to his general racial group have. Hard stop right there. Doesn't matter what race they are. They do not have any kind of ownership over any women and they are not owed relationships or sex just for existing. You're basically excusing incel behavior as long as it is done by persecuted minorities and not white people.
We ain't talking about dudes who harass women or think this way though. We're looking at what made this situation in the first place. You might not want to admit it, but white boy incels have been extensively talked about in the same way here, and nobody is giving them a pass for being manchildren. You seem intent on lumping any discussion of this in with excusing harassment, which it is not. It's kind of telling that the go to attempt to shut down discussion is to label anyone who tries as an incel sympathizer.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We ain't talking about dudes who harass women or think this way though. We're looking at what made this situation in the first place. You might not want to admit it, but white boy incels have been extensively talked about in the same way here, and nobody is giving them a pass for being manchildren. You seem intent on lumping any discussion of this in with excusing harassment, which it is not. It's kind of telling that the go to attempt to shut down discussion is to label anyone who tries as an incel sympathizer.

I'm doing the bolded because these talking points are being brought up in response to the topic at hand, which is harassment. It's implying that there is a reason for the harassment and that reason is worth talking about. That sounds awful close to excusing harassment and focusing on the plight of the harassers.

Anyway, we're just going in circles now.

Phil

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

no one is owed anything or anyone especially not sex
it is earned and forged uptop Mt. Olympus

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
I'm doing the bolded because these talking points are being brought up in response to the topic at hand, which is harassment. It's implying that there is a reason for the harassment and that reason is worth talking about. That sounds awful close to excusing harassment and focusing on the plight of the harassers.

We're not excusing incel behavior, everyone in this thread is against harassment of women in regards to who they date. We are also looking deeper into the reasons why.

You however seem intent on excusing racism without much deeper thought.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017

I's important to distinguish between reason and excuse. Talking about the reason isn't an excuse of shitty behavior. And talking about the context and source of this isn't an attempt to divert the focus away from Asian women being harassed by Asian men. It's actually taking a more critical look at it, as opposed to stopping at the surface level to say 'yeah fuck those guys', which is a convenient and self-affirming narrative to cover up a rather less than convenient reality.

Deleted member 12224

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Given I don't question your intent in exploring the issues beyond the surface and don't believe you're shifting blame to absolve people of responsibility by exploring these deeper issues, I agree with you.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Given I don't question your intent in exploring the issues beyond the surface and don't believe you're shifting blame to absolve people of responsibility by exploring these deeper issues, I agree with you.
Sorry about that, I didn't mean to point the finger at you specifically. I was speaking more generally.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I'm not one that should speak on this topic, but I'd hope that if there weren't stereotypical justifications against dating Asian males that this harassment wouldn't be as prominent to begin with.

Like if a black guy just so happened to date a white girl so be it. But if he were to make justifications like "I'm dating this woman because black women are *insert nonsense*... this is when it becomes a problem and this is probably where the backlash comes from.

At least, I would hope so.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

GIT GUD
GIT FUCKING GUD

watch more fucking anime
win the fucking game

8 side chicks sounds like a headache lol.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017

I's important to distinguish between reason and excuse. Talking about the reason isn't an excuse of shitty behavior. And talking about the context and source of this isn't an attempt to divert the focus away from Asian women being harassed by Asian men. It's actually taking a more critical look at it, as opposed to stopping at the surface level to say 'yeah fuck those guys', which is a convenient and self-affirming narrative to cover up a rather less than convenient reality.

The fact is Celeste Ng only skims the surface of the problem which is her being harassed. Sure we can remedy the symptom (the harrassment), but if you don't fix the root of the problem then the issues will continue. Celeste Ng has every right to be angry at those harassing her, but she doesn't look at the deeper reasons as to why. Maybe she knows? But if she doesn't, she's awfully oblivious to the internalized racism that she carries with her as evidenced on her twitter and how she talks about other Asian men. One should of course try to stop the immediate concern i.e. the harassment, but if you want to stop it repeating, you root out the very thing that feeds it and makes it grow.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact is Celeste Ng only skims the surface of the problem which is her being harassed. Sure we can remedy the symptom (the harrassment), but if you don't fix the root of the problem then the issues will continue. Celeste Ng has every right to be angry at those harassing her, but she doesn't look at the deeper reasons as to why. Maybe she knows? But if she doesn't, she's awfully oblivious to the internalized racism that she carries with her as evidenced on her twitter and how she talks about other Asian men. One should of course try to stop the immediate concern i.e. the harassment, but if you want to stop it repeating, you root out the very thing that feeds it and makes it grow.

This is straight up incel outreach advocacy and borderline victim blaming (oh, it's her internalized racism that in part brought about her harassment). She doesn't owe her harassers a goddamn thing and certainly should not feel obligated to look deeper into their nonsensical reasons for harassing her.