• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Z1r2y3

Oct 28, 2017
Im not saying they are more prone. I'm just wondering why this community in particular has sprung up as some sort of weird ethnic spin off of incel culture and is now racially harassing women. There is evidence of that. Now as for numbers that's what I was wondering- but I'd presume the numbers are as vague as the ones this community of abusers use to justify why "Asian women" are turning against them.

Also I don't get why I'm not beholden to these standards. I don't think Asian men are like these stereotypes I don't think Asian women conform to them either and I respect women. I'm also white but I do my best to make sure my privilege isn't getting in the way of common sense here.

That's because we're not.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's because we're not.

I mean the subreddit community / online community that has a history of doing this, not all Asian people. Apologies if that wasn't clear although this is all in response to that community directly harassing women so didn't feel it was that confusing

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
It is not acceptable to allege that Asian-American men are more prone to these incel communities than men of any other race, and use that as justification for racist views. Firstly, you lack evidence for such a claim. Secondly, if it truly were something that mattered to women, you'd have women of all colors flocking away from white men because incels tend to be white!
I don't know how you typed these two sentences together without self reflection lol.

Also you are probably focused on North Western Hemisphere when making that assessment. Incels have been a thing for awhile, most people just didn't realize it. A lot of the suicide-bombers recruited by terrorists in the middle east were social pariahs, anti-social, and couldn't get a girlfriend/wife.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Why is Asia always generalized to mean East Asia in the West? With all other Asian countries there is a specification, but with Asian, East Asian is the assumed meaning?
This isn't true. In the UK at least Asian is typically meant to mean middle Eastern Indian etc. Asian typically refers to in a given western country which ever asian is nationality is more populous in said country.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It is not acceptable to allege that Asian-American men are more prone to these incel communities than men of any other race, and use that as justification for racist views. Firstly, you lack evidence for such a claim. Secondly, if it truly were something that mattered to women, you'd have women of all colors flocking away from white men because incels tend to be white!

Not really, they come in all colors, although there is a 'white supremacy' element in some incel circles. Which shows when you look at the ridiculous racist names for East Asian incles (ricecels) and Indian incels (Currycels)

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, they come in all colors, although there is a 'white supremacy' element in some incel circles. Which shows when you look at the ridiculous racist names for East Asian incles (ricecels) and Indian incels (Currycels)
You can't have a white supremacy element any say that they come in all colors as if it's somehow equivalent. That means that it's a space dominated by whites.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im not saying they are more prone. I'm just wondering why this community in particular has sprung up as some sort of weird ethnic spin off of incel culture and is now racially harassing women. There is evidence of that. Now as for numbers that's what I was wondering- but I'd presume the numbers are as vague as the ones this community of abusers use to justify why "Asian women" are turning against them.

Also I don't get why I'm not beholden to these standards. I don't think Asian men are like these stereotypes I don't think Asian women conform to them either and I respect women. I'm also white but I do my best to make sure my privilege isn't getting in the way of common sense here.
Actually, letting your privilege dictate common sense is exactly what you're doing. This isn't a spin off of incel culture and the reason why you aren't beholden is because whites are allowed to be individuals and we aren't. And what makes you think they're all incels?

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you typed these two sentences together without self reflection lol.

Also you are probably focused on North Western Hemisphere when making that assessment. Incels have been a thing for awhile, most people just didn't realize it. A lot of the suicide-bombers recruited by terrorists in the middle east were social pariahs, anti-social, and couldn't get a girlfriend/wife.

Yes, Trojita, I am focusing on the Northwestern hemisphere, that's why I said Asian-American men. When I said incels tend to be white, I'm not saying it's because they are white. To clarify, I had tried to look up demographic data for incels; best I could pull is this study, which has a pretty small n (~80) in the first place, but white people were the primary responders. Of course, it could just be an artifact of the fact that white people in themselves are the majority of the population. It's weak data, but the only I could find.

And Tence, I'm not saying Asian men are less prone to to incel-ness either. After all, Asian incels attacked Ng.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
racial intermarriages are actually decreasing among asians (though admittedly from a high initial level)
pst_2017.05.15.interm04dcp.png

there is a gender gap for racial intermarriage among black people and asian people, but not among white and hispanic people
pst_2017.05.15.interm3vida.png

not really trying to make any specific point, just sharing some interesting data

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Actually, letting your privilege dictate common sense is exactly what you're doing. This isn't a spin off of incel culture and the reason why you aren't beholden is because whites are allowed to be individuals and we aren't. And what makes you think they're all incels?

You know what? I went and had a look at the hapas subreddit to see if maybe I was overreacting or not realising something. It was pretty much all about how women weren't accepting them and this story and was basically just as I described- an incel subreddit exclusively for half Asian half white men pitying themselves and denigrating women. Reddit banned the incel reddit but I never hold my breath for them actually doing the right thing quickly. To be clear there is of course nothing wrong with people from a shared identify coming together, and even then there is nothing wrong with one of those forms of coming together ends up being a subreddit with... a very negative atmosphere, but when it comes to that sub community being all about abusing women you should have a problem. If you can't see that it has nothing to do with race or privilege. In any case I'm going to step out of this thread. I thought this was a forum that generally was progressive but if all it takes to protect abuse of women is a smokescreen of race accusations well I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised in the end.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what? I went and had a look at the hapas subreddit to see if maybe I was overreacting or not realising something. It was pretty much all about how women weren't accepting them and this story and was basically just as I described- an incel subreddit exclusively for half Asian half white men pitying themselves and denigrating women. Reddit banned the incel reddit but I never hold my breath for them actually doing the right thing quickly. To be clear there is of course nothing wrong with people from a shared identify coming together, and even then there is nothing wrong with one of those forms of coming together ends up being a subreddit with... a very negative atmosphere, but when it comes to that sub community being all about abusing women you should have a problem. If you can't see that it has nothing to do with race or privilege. In any case I'm going to step out of this thread. I thought this was a forum that generally was progressive but if all it takes to protect abuse of women is a smokescreen of race accusations well I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised in the end.
Saying that this has nothing to do with race or privilege is a pretty privileged take on r/hapas when it specifically has to do with half white/half Asian people that were the products of white male/Asian female parents who perpetrated racial abuse on their children.

What makes you think that you have the correct take on this when you know little to nothing on the issue or the history of it in the Asian community?

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I thought this was a forum that generally was progressive but if all it takes to protect abuse of women is a smokescreen of race accusations well I guess I shouldn't have been that surprised in the end.
It is possible to talk about this without denigrating women and also not excusing racism. It isn't one or the other. I agree r/hapas is not a good example of well...anything.

wayward

Oct 27, 2017
The whole Asian reddit thing is actually interesting. The most mainstream one is /asianamerican and because of its name it's considered prime real estate for the discussion of any topic that relate to Asian Americans. But like the article from Plan A said they've been censoring any talk of internalized racism and in particular WMAF relationships. So the discussion gets filtered out and becomes concentrated into more problematic subs like /hapas or /aznidentity because those are the only places that won't dismiss it outright. A lot of minorities grow up in America feeling something's not quite right but their concerns are always dismissed by the mainstream public. You're crazy, that's anecdotal, where's the evidence, etc. Then suddenly... you meet these people who are actually listening to you and even more they agree with you. There's something seductive about that.

With hindsight I don't know if complete censorship of this one topic was the best idea but I also can't imagine what it must have been like for the mods that were getting harassed either. It does seem /asianamerican wants to be more open to this topic though and they're currently trying to recruit mods to help.