• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gotta be honest with you, chief. There's a lot of extremely obnoxious stuff in FF X, amplified by a factor of 100 by the awful voice acting.

Onikage

Feb 21, 2018
I remember that when I and my friends were younger, FFX was one of those games that would be the justification to buy a PS2.

Even without money for other games, if we could at least buy FFX everything would be worth it.
And what a great time I had playing it...

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
"It's supposed to sound bad" doesn't excuse the fact that it sounds bad. I still don't get that scene.

But the rest of the game is very good.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
The voice direction is fucking terrible. It sounds so fucking terrible to listen any of those characters speak in the most stilted dialogue you have ever heard. And the game has a bullshit difficulty bump for no reason when you enter than bigass field. But I'll be damned if the story wasn't one of the greatest FF has to offer.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
With the caveat that I plan to give it another shot since I bought the HD collection to fund FF12 Zodiac Remaster, I have to say it's one of my least favorites. I found the combat pretty boring, but the real issue is that the characters are awful. Part of this is, perhaps unfairly, the really bad voice acting where they're trying to match lip flaps. It's amazing to get FF12 right after this.

It's supposedly to be excessively fake laughter.

Again, that was the point. They're being weirdos. Which is immediately commented on by every other character in the party lmao

Yeah but the entire story is the characters being weirdos. The dialogue is no better in any other scene. The laughing scene has just become a symbol for people who think the whole game's is as bad as that, like me. So while yes they are doing it on purpose, it loses a lot of its luster when it's equally as forced and bad when they're being serious.

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
how old were you when you played it first? how many games (Final fantasy but not just those) did you play before it? because its "god like" status is largely affected by these answers. it was OK.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Never felt like FFX was just hallways. /shrug

Had nice towns, awesome locations with diverging paths, sweet dungeons, and all of it fit within the narrative of a pilgrimage. It was pretty much the same as every other FF to me, except I didn't have a little dude running around a big and barren world map with random roadblocks and towns.

This. The linearity is way overblown. FFX remains my favorite FF even now.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
702508667_1643965.gif

Hey, Lulu was tight. My favorite thing about her was that, despite wearing the least maneuverable outfit, she had the naturally highest evasion stat. She dodged attacks ALL THE TIME for me, it was awesome.
She has some of the best dialogue in the game and has depth, too.

Her design is so over the top and ridiculous that I can't hate it too much even though I probably should. Her only being 22 is the strangest part. She's already been a Guardian twice, how old was she the first time she went out? 10?

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
She has some of the best dialogue in the game and has depth, too.

Her design is so over the top and ridiculous that I can't hate it too much even though I probably should. Her only being 22 is the strangest part. She's already been a Guardian twice, how old was she the first time she went out? 10?

ages in Japanese games never make any sense. heroes are always kids, grownups are 30ish and really ancient people are around 40...

Oct 27, 2017
I love FFX (it's the last mainline FF I truly enjoyed as a triple A game, XII was good and I see its qualities but didn't clicked with me) but come on the laughing scene was terribad and the chara design laughable. They deserved to be memed, but then again, everything deserves to be memed independantly of their intrinsic qualities.

Still a pretty good game though.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
It's a good game. It's probably the best FF (FFT excluded) to date. I dunno about "god-like" though. The gameplay has its limits (no pun intended) and while the story is neat the first time, it's not especially mind-blowing either.

Also, a fair part of the cast is pretty meh. Granted, that's not unusual for FF, but still.

Great soundtrack and visuals for the time though.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure why the story gets such flack in particular. There are few games in the series with comparably coherent plotlines and themes.

Now, complaints about linearity, postgame, and voice direction? Those I get.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I played it back in 2002 at the age of 21 and yeah we didn't have social media like now, or any of the meme generation tools like today, but I recall my friends and I roasting the game over the following:
1. The goofy pronunciation of Tidus as "Teedus"
2. The infamous "HAHAAAAHAAA" scene
3. Gotta save the world, hol' up a minute... I'm gonna do a season of Blitzball first...
4. Tidus's goofy asymmetrical pant/shorts.

We were definitely dunking on this game back then, I promise.

I was 16 when this game came out and all of my friends were ripping it apart too.

We all laughed at the same things plus:
5) How linear it was compared to every other Final Fantasy / JRPG of its time. The on rails game play was a huge let down. Having no world map didn't help disguise it either.
6) Wakka, and Lulus characters outfits/designs.
7) How awful the mini games were. Coming from the PS1 trilogy was a big shock.
8) The ending followed by FFX-2 prevented a lot of us from wanting to replay it like we did with every other game in the series.

Overall I think the game is fine, but it's one of the worse in the series. I hope other peoples enjoyment doesn't get soured by internet memes/jokes.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It's just the laughing scene that's meme'd.

But it's the entire game that's merely ok. Definitely one of the weakest Final Fantasy games IMO. I really enjoyed it when I first played it 15 years ago, but my opinion on it has soured quite a bit over time. It's the only FF game ported to current consoles that I just have no interest in buying and revisiting. I even bought the XIII trilogy on XB1.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
HA HA HA :/
Dude I just said they have famous dads, they literally have a lot in common, but they chose to ""laugh"" awkwardly to relieve tension. They were in a major city, they could have gone shopping/chatting. Fake laughing is a laaame way to break the ice, regardless of nerves (and just translate the scene to a real life setting where you crush is now thinking youre a weirdo)

The fake laughing wasn't just to break the ice though, they were both just through some traumatic shit immediately before the laughing scene. Yuna was kidnapped and then a whole bunch of fiends invaded the stadium. They didn't go shopping because they had to keep moving forward on the pilgrimage.

As far as the part about them both having famous dads and they could've talked about having that in common, I'm almost positive that they did exactly that at other points of the game.

Nov 9, 2017
FFX is great and might have the best battle system and story in the series. Sure the heck beat out the mess that was FFIX's story. Now there was a bad FF game that somehow gets praised as something special.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
The voice direction is fucking terrible. It sounds so fucking terrible to listen any of those characters speak in the most stilted dialogue you have ever heard. And the game has a bullshit difficulty bump for no reason when you enter than bigass field. But I'll be damned if the story wasn't one of the greatest FF has to offer.

Whoa, that plot twist at the end.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
The laughing scene is bad because it's obnoxious to listen to. Fake and forced laughter doesn't have to be intolerable. It's not the voice actor's fault, though; it's the direction (which I did not enjoy throughout the game).

Anyway, I thought the game was okay. Though it represents the beginning of the downfall of the series for me.

Oct 25, 2017
I really disliked FFX for the first 2/3rd or so of the game. I think the voice acting is bad, the characters ugly, and the general aesthetic to be kind of off-putting. There's a lot of bad and dumbness in the game, and while FFXIII and others would get much worse, I feel like you can trace a lot of the problems with Final Fantasy to this game (the hallways, the dull characters and their stupid outfits, etc).

But eventually it did click for me, and while it's not my favorite FF game, it's up there; you just have to be willing to ignore or overlook some of the garbage.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I was 20 when it came out, and my friends and I ragged on it for all sorts of issues. The linearity, the bad voice acting, the goofy character designs, how much more noticeable the bad anime tropes felt to us even compared to the ps1 games. If internet culture was then what it is now, we'd have plenty of shitty memes dragging it.

Everyone's got their own "last great final fantasy" for me it was 3/6, which has plenty of it's own problems under a crtical eye.

Last edited:

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
The thing about the laughing scene is that even under the pretense that it's supposed to be awkward, it still feels wrong and poorly directed.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I think it's probably aged okay given the franchise's...instability over the next two decades. But I was not a fan on release. I disliked the linearity, hated most of the characters and voice-acting, and found the "match square peg to square hole" aspect of the battle system tiresome. About all I remember enjoying were the graphics and music.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not just people too young who make fun of the game. Us olds found it a bit silly anime wacky pants too.

I like it but it has never been in my god tier of serious dark FFs. It's always been a silly romp.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Awful game.

A massive disappointment after three incredible PS1 sequels. No overworld to move around in. Temple puzzles/gameplay was mind numbingly boring. Forgettable characters. Ugly art. What the hell is Tidus wearing? Only one memorable song on the soundtrack.

No card game! Blitz Ball was the worst.

I couldn't care less about the awful voice acting. Nearly everything else in the game is inferior to what came before it.

Lakershead22

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I love Final Fantasy X. It's one of my favorite games.

I never understood the 'meme' over the laughing scene. It's so obvious he's fake laughing and then Yuna and he laugh together in a more realistic way a few moments later.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
It's a terribly written game and it shows more and more as time goes on. There isn't a single cutscene that doesn't faceplant with the amount of bad voice acting, cheesiness, and overall terrible dialogue that comes out of every character's mouths. It's memorable in the same way that The Room is

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Isn't it in the top 3 FF games most of the time? The laughing was really the only meme. Some of the English voice acting might be too. But I thought its a popular game. It's still one of my favorite games

Abdiel

Oct 28, 2017
Ffx is trash. I threw the game away the first time I played it because Tidus is such a shit main character, and Yuna has three personality of a wet paper bag. The only got characters were Auron and Rikku, and I wasn't playing an entire game for them.

I gave up on my second attempt like 6 years later when it confirmed my earlier opinions remained intact, that nothing about the game was worth wasting my time on. It's not as bad as xiii, but it's a mess.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
It's still the best Final Fantasy game I would say. Also, the laughing scene was perfectly executed to be cringy, as it was clearly intended to be.

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a ps2 for this game. I forget when it exactly happened but there was some dream or flashback sequence where some boy told Tidus "you cried". I dont know what it was, probably wholly irrational, but something about the words, the delivery, just grated on me. I played a lot of other games on that ps2, but I never went back to ffx.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Has it turned into a meme?

Although it shares a rather similar structure to XIII, I've always seen it talked about far more favorably. Probably because the story in it is better told, and the world is explained better.

The laughing scene is a meme, and always has been, but that's because it's just bad, and no amount of trying to explain why that scene exists will change that.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a great game, however I dislike most of the characters. Also felt that the romance is extremely overrated.

Tidus is discount jock Zidane except a lot more self centered and generally completely unlikable.
Yuna is an idiot.
Auron and Lulu are cool.
Rikku is annoying, Wakka is a racist and Kihmari is basically useless.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
The game itself hasn't been turned into a meme. It's a beloved game by fans and general gaming population.

There are times and scenes that are absolutely hilarious in how bad they actually are. But in general the game is a masterpiece.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Nah it was not a good game and was the first game to totally deviate from the old gameplay set up.

Hated it really.

Murkas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seymour Flux and Seymour Omnis had banging designs (with banging soundtracks to match).

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
It being SE's first voiced title and the english localization being wonky in the directing department for various reasons made it become a meme. But i dont think most people actively dislike the game, just make fun of those specific elements.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usually what happens, manchildren with youtube channels wirh entirely too much time on their hands nitpick something beloved to death, gets repeated yo a point where the general consensus becomes " thing is bad"