• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
17yo 9GAG nerds who are too young to have played it in 2002 memeing about the hahaha-scene are obnoxious as hell. How is that the most common association with the game? Coming from FF7-9, the tenth game had more of linear approach, which I recall got some mixed reception by fans upon release, but let's be real: The game was amazing and it was incredibly memorable. Like it or not, I'd wager the vast majority of you who have played the game remember all of the characters, most of the story, most of the music, most of the set pieces and the amazing ending - do you not? The arrival in Luca? Anima's first appearance? The game was so fucking good. I'm not sure how it holds up, but it was the bomb in 2002. Can we express our appreciation at how good of a JRPG it was for once? Surely, this game is way up there in terms of JRPGs. There are only few games in the genre I like better.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was definitely memorable, but that doesn't mean I'd ever want to play it again.

I played the original, played the last handheld remake, and when it came time to buy it on the Switch...I got FF12 without hesitation.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFX is amazing and the laughing scene was fucking adorable.

I dismiss anybody's opinion if they make fun of that scene.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Us liking it won't change the way other people feel about it. Let them have their opinions and you could have yours. Got to stop giving negativity free exposure too.

I don't even know wtf a 9gag was before this thread but now I'm compelled to give him/her clicks

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
laughing scene is good

I played FFX on Vita in like 2012 and loved it. It was a bit cliché but a good story set in a beautiful world.

Never got what possessed people to do the postgame stuff, though. That stuff's insane

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I played it back in 2002 at the age of 21 and yeah we didn't have social media like now, or any of the meme generation tools like today, but I recall my friends and I roasting the game over the following:
1. The goofy pronunciation of Tidus as "Teedus"
2. The infamous "HAHAAAAHAAA" scene
3. Gotta save the world, hol' up a minute... I'm gonna do a season of Blitzball first...
4. Tidus's goofy asymmetrical pant/shorts.

We were definitely dunking on this game back then, I promise.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The laughing scene was a meme since the day it came out. I'm not sure how you're equating that being a meme to people not liking the game

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Godlike? Not quite, the mini games suck ass, I didn't find the story overly interesting and the game was extremely linear, which I remember feeling very restrictive compared to older games. I still like the game, but it's a lower-tier FF for me.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
that scene was made fun of when it released. Its the game that made me decide to stop playing final fantasy games, as i really didnt care for most of the game or characters. Kinda like ffviii but not as bad for me. I played it on release as well.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The laughing scene was mocked when it came out, and it's mocked today. You should be happy knowing that some things never change.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The game got shit for stuff back then, too. The laughing scene was mocked from the beginning.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like it or not, I'd wager the vast majority of you who have played the game remember all of the characters, most of the story, most of the music, most of the set pieces and the amazing ending - do you not? The arrival in Luca? Anima's first appearance?
I played it back when it came out and don't remember most of that. I remember more from SNES and PS1 Square games. I did enjoy FFX, though. The presentation was really impressive.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It was good and the laughing scene is actually a good scene when taken into context. But you know people will make memes outta anything. I think people mainly made fun of the English dub but considering it was SE's first game with VO, I gave it a pass.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played it back in 2002 at the age of 21 and yeah we didn't have social media like now, or any of the meme generation tools like today, but I recall my friends and I roasting the game over the following:
3. Gotta save the world, hol' up a minute... I'm gonna do a season of Blitzball first...

That's not goofy pronunciation, it's just not English pronunciation.
In German you pronounce it exactly like that.

Nov 13, 2017
People still love it, OP. It's just that laughing scene that's a meme.

If the game wasn't adored, Square wouldn't have re-released it 4,000,000 times like they've done in the past five years.

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yes, and the laughing scene is dreadful, and had a lot of people questioning Square's decision to implement voice acting in the game.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Godlike? Not quite, the mini games suck ass, I didn't find the story overly interesting and the game was extremely linear, which I remember feeling very restrictive compared to older games. I still like the game, but it's a lower-tier FF for me.

I always feel like people are just fooled by world maps that funnel you from place to place and give you an illusion of freedom.

Maybe people like running into dead ends that make them think "I can go so many places!"

Nov 13, 2017

His name has always been Tee-dus. We never heard them speak it until later though, so we thought it was Tie-dus because of the way it is spelled + Tide = ocean tide = game's water theme.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Good games, or even "god-like" games, can still have minor issues. The voice acting can be weird at times in FFX and it's just something you have to accept when you play it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I always feel like people are just fooled by world maps that funnel you from place to place and give you an illusion of freedom.

Maybe people like running into dead ends that make them think "I can go so many places!"
It's the illusion of freedom, but that's better than "screw that, let's just give them hallways".

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Playing it back then I remember some of it was good but overall I felt it was one of the weaker FFs.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It's a nice game that a lot of people expected a lot more.

No way it's "way up" in terms of JRPGs imo. I wouldn't put FFX in a top 50 of the genre, atleast.

But i still like the game. Lore is fantastic, the combat gets really good towards the end and i kinda like Tidus. It was sure disappointing after FFIV to IX tho.

For me, PS2 era was the moment where the FF series lost it's place to better, lower budget jrpgs. Both X and XII were disappointing (despite still being good games) and there's atleast 10 games in the genre on PS2 that i like more.

I don't even think the laugh scene was that bad.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally i can't stand the absolute horrid character design.
latest

jml

Mar 9, 2018
It's my favorite game of all time but I still think there are some parts of it that are pretty ripe for mockery. There's a lot of straight-up goofy shit in that game.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
Emphasis on was?

I played FFX for the first time 2 or 3 years ago and really did not like it.

6, 9 and 12 were great though.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people use the laughing scene out of context to highlight bad VA.

The voice acting was supposed to be forced there. They're forcing themselves to laugh. It's the whole point of the scene.

skillzilla81

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the illusion of freedom, but that's better than "screw that, let's just give them hallways".

Never felt like FFX was just hallways. /shrug

Had nice towns, awesome locations with diverging paths, sweet dungeons, and all of it fit within the narrative of a pilgrimage. It was pretty much the same as every other FF to me, except I didn't have a little dude running around a big and barren world map with random roadblocks and towns.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
The game got off on the wrong foot with me and my friends pretty early on. For instance when Waka and his crew asked Tidus to pass the ball back to them, Tidus decides to kick it over the horizon like the asshole he is. Then moments later he gets told to not enter a religious temple because it's important to their culture and beliefs, and of course Tidus immediately does it anyway. For someone that whines about his dad being a jerk so often, the apple sure didn't fall far from the tree.

I think it was Tidus the only one who bothered me. The rest was... fine?
Did you forget about the lady who wore a dress made entirely of belts?

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It was mind blowing for its time. It still has it's spark too. The universe is magical and tropical at the same time.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Last edited:

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I adored this game as a teenager. I'm a bit bummed that it has been pushed aside in comparison to 6, 7, 9, etc. but that happens to games I love all the time. Love what you love & don't worry too much about what other people say

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
They don't even say his name out loud in FFX, since you could name him whatever you wanted.

The first time they pronounced his name was in Kingdom Hearts ("me and Teedus").

It's the Japanese pronunciation anyway. "i" makes an "ee" sound there.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
The character designs are the worst in the franchise. The voice acting is terrible and only highlights how bad the writing/dumb the plot is. And the level design is so incredibly linear that it's just not fun to explore.

Always hated this game and I think it marks the downfall of the franchise.

Oct 28, 2017
They don't even say his name out loud in FFX, since you could name him whatever you wanted.

The first time they pronounced his name was in Kingdom Hearts ("me and Teedus").

It's the Japanese pronunciation anyway. "i" makes an "ee" sound there.

The extras disc that came with early copies has cast interviews where they say his name.

PrismStar

Oct 27, 2017
Only the laughing scene is memed. The game still is the 2nd most popular FF game of all time and frequently in top 3 fan-vote polls.