• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Did you forget about the lady who wore a dress made entirely of belts?

702508667_1643965.gif

Hey, Lulu was tight. My favorite thing about her was that, despite wearing the least maneuverable outfit, she had the naturally highest evasion stat. She dodged attacks ALL THE TIME for me, it was awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing really wrong with others poking fun at it. Everyone can find joy in things in different ways.

There's not really any harm in it. Not like it ruins the game for those that love it.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Has probably my favorite OST ever, nice simple turned based battle system, sphere grid was fun, awesome summonings, cool story. Fantastic game imo. A bit bloated with cut scenes and the linear nature is a bit of a bummer, but otherwise don't agree with all the hate. My second favorite FF after V.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was never that good (people were enamored by the VA and shiny graphics), and subsequent rereleases have demonstrated how poorly it holds up.

Most of modern Final Fantasy's bad excesses can be traced back to it in some form or the other.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
17 year olds haven't even heard of this game man.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I thought it was great, although I haven't played it since it was first released. Back then I would have injected anything named Final Fantasy directly into my veins. "God-like", however, is some serious hyperbole. The games gradually got worse after IX, after the merger Of Square & Enix.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy X is my favorite in the series, and one of my favorite turn-based RPG's of all time. Played it back when it launched, and have picked up the HD remaster on multiple platforms. Some of the dialogue is delivered awfully, but for such an old title I'd say it holds up well for me.

I'm pretty sure outside of VII, X is the most popular Final Fantasy game as well.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
I never liked it. It's always been my least favorite FF by far.

It stopped my day one purchases of the series. I played it for a bit upon release, and that was that. The voice acting wasn't good, and it felt like they were shifting back into elements of 8 and 9 that I didn't care for, but powered through (to a point, I never finished 9).

Other folks love it, and I'm glad they do.

Oct 27, 2017
I quite like FFX, but it's nowhere near "godlike" imo.

Horrendous minigames (and I even like Blitzball) that are required to obtain the best weapons, overly restrictive linearity with a lack of compelling side content, questionable character designs, clunky dialogue/delivery due to lip sync, poor gear progression, most combat encounters are essentially shape-matching puzzles, etc.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
People have been joking about the laughing scene ever since the game came out. This is not some recent meme, if anything it's beating a dead horse.

Plus FFX is pretty well regarded today and I think the remasters sold well. Like all games it has its critics but it's a classic to many.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
The character designs are the worst in the franchise. The voice acting is terrible and only highlights how bad the writing/dumb the plot is. And the level design is so incredibly linear that it's just not fun to explore.

Always hated this game and I think it marks the downfall of the franchise.
Well the character designs are better than the ones in X-2.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it but didn't love it - and relatedly, didn't actually get around to playing it to completion until comparatively recently, although I definitely played it a few years after it first appeared. It felt like they'd had to cut out a number of things I like about FF to accomodate the increased production values, in particular I really really didn't like the structure of the world; for all the criticism of FF13's 'corridor' design, FFX felt like the first uncomfortable steps in that direction.

As a puzzle fan, I did quite like the Al Bhed cypher stuff, and I was genuinely intrigued that they'd managed to make a substitution cypher that remained pronounceable. How well does that work in Japanese? However, also as a puzzle fan, me being interested in the cypher led to me cracking it fairly early on, and then painstakingly pausing and translating each message as it appeared, which ended up being somewhat tedious. It'd perhaps be quite nice if, along with the NG+ cypher transfer, there was the ability to input your substitution alphabet after you've figured out the gaps and have things changed for you automatically; I knew Al Bhed long before Tidus did, at that point the game should really step in and take out that layer of hassle.

I've mentioned elsewhere - quite recently actually - but just to reiterate, the battle system is great, but it really shouldn't directly reward swapping every character into a fight, optimal play should never be tedious.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I think the parts already mentioned were the meme-like moments at the time, those were always made fun of. Despite that, I think FFX is still an amazing game, and I hope Square at some point go back to that battle system in a mainline game, it was clear and gave you the time to plan your moves carefully so it wasn't chaotic BS (Unless you had a random ambush by a Malboro).

I think certain genres trying to go full-scale open world is coming at a cost, and could stand to scale-down or have some more linearity so the developers can concentrate on making the good stuff :)

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
It's supposedly to be excessively fake laughter.

Again, that was the point. They're being weirdos. Which is immediately commented on by every other character in the party lmao

That scene immediately tells me who actually played the game or just watched a clip on YouTube. Tidus was trying to help Yuna through some tough times.

Oct 27, 2017
It really wasnt. I wanted to like the game but it sucked. The battle music and final boss music was bad and really jarring. The character design was absolutely awful. The voice acting and dialogue was bad, the main story was hot garbage. The special attacks were extremely underwhelming, and the quests felt really repetitive.

The game was a good technological achievement but it was not a classic. Especially coming off the heels of final fantasy 9. Final fantasy xii was its superior in every possible way. I hated the game back then and time has not been kind to it.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
For me personally i can't stand the absolute horrid character design.
latest

I love Tidus, I really do, but the moment I found out that his hoodie cut off at the ribs, I almost cried. I can take the rest of the outfit, but that was unacceptable.

Dissidia freaking nailed it by going back to the Amano art, and it shows. Just a few details make it a Way better design.

Frozen Viper

Feb 7, 2019
I wish I loved this game as much as people do. I just can't get over the character designs, and that one mechanic that requires that you tag a party member in for a hit for them to get any kind of EXP from the fight. Made grinding super tedious to keep on having to rotate in every party member every single fight just for a pittance.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
That scene immediately tells me who actually played the game or just watched a clip on YouTube. Tidus was trying to help Yuna through some tough times.
Pretty much. They are supposed to be seen as awkward in that moment and the rest of the party responds in kind.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It never became a meme, only a single scene. It's one of the greatest games ever made.

Also, while the meme can be funny, I question those who say that the scene was bad. It was meant to be awkward. That's the entire point.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I wish they like, y'know, talked like normal human beings. Like of all things to break this ice, they chose the most unnatural.

They're both kids who live in the shadows of their popular daddy's, but surprisingly this big great love story between them still sees them struggle to converse.

Slightly off-topic, but GOAT FF Couple: Zidane/Garnet all the way.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People haaaated Tidus design back then, hated the laughing scene, hated the linearity and werent too hot about the non Uematsu soundtrack.

All fair points. Really cool game though.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
"17yo 9GAG nerds who are too young to have played it in 2002 memeSing about the hahaha-scene are obnoxious as hell."

There we go.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I loved it and played through it three times back in the day.. I never replay games to be honest so this is a pretty big deal to me. Probably spent at least 100 hours playing blitzball games (haha). The laughing scene is really bad during the game and especially bad in isolation.. just sort of an unfortunate misstep that is easy to poke fun at.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
its the 2nd most popular game in the series

its definitely beloved

EmptyWarren

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lots of things in the game I did enjoy. Though I always thought Seymour, much like most of the cast, was an overly designed, trash villain. Motive was boring and his name was fuckin Seymour Butts.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
FFX has the distinction of being really good, while also being indicative of the issues the series would come to face later. It's linear and it goes all in on some weird world building, but it's not literal pipe areas and unexplained lore like FFXIII.

It also has, bar none, the best ending of the series. Altogether, I think it's a great game on its own.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
I think the only reason I remember the story is because I had to spend so much time reading about it to understand it.

I still don't completely get it. It's my first and only FF played to completion though so it has a nice spot in my heart :)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
The problem with FFX is linearity, and a boring as all hell battle system with the removal of ATB.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they like, y'know, talked like normal human beings. Like of all things to break this ice, they chose the most unnatural.

They're both kids who live in the shadows of their popular daddy's, but surprisingly this big great love story between them still sees them struggle to converse.

Slightly off-topic, but GOAT FF Couple: Zidane/Garnet all the way.

Yeah, because teenagers are so great at talking to people they like.

Fuck, we have adults on Era that make threads every other day about how to talk to the person they like.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah, because teenagers are so great at talking to people they like.

Fuck, we have adults on Era that make threads every other day about how to talk to the person they like.

HA HA HA :/
Dude I just said they have famous dads, they literally have a lot in common, but they chose to ""laugh"" awkwardly to relieve tension. They were in a major city, they could have gone shopping/chatting. Fake laughing is a laaame way to break the ice, regardless of nerves (and just translate the scene to a real life setting where you crush is now thinking youre a weirdo)

The problem with FFX is linearity, and a boring as all hell battle system with the removal of ATB.

Naw, I loved actually seeing how haste/slow made a difference in turn order.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I'm replaying this game and I am really shocked at how rushed the entire Macalania Temple to Bevelle arc is. Like, they get to the Bikanel desert by teleporting and then every place after that is a short little line until the Calm Lands. I didn't remember that part being like that at all.

I say that as someone who thinks the events at Home and Bevelle as some of the most rewarding narrative moments in the game.