• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
It was my least favourite at the time. Actually, I didn't even finish it until about 5 or so years ago when people kept bringing it up as this beloved lost gem. I do have to say playing it then was actually pretty fun and I've warmed to it. It's still my leave fave out of the ones I've played, though.

Also, like others have already said many times in here, the laughing scene was definitely mocked back then as well.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I was mostly annoyed at how linear it was and I kind of hated Tidus design. Good game, but mid tier FF imo. Soundtrack was killer though. Might get the remaster someday.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
To this day, FFX is still my favorite FF game ever. Don't @ me. It's ridiculous the amount of hate it gets. The first time I saw the sphere grid, I thought, this is most creative leveling up I've ever seen! It still is my favorite.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
First game that made me cry (at the ending), also my first FF lol :P

I wish they just say Tidus' name though, dunno why they insist on having him nameless. I prefer him named.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
love the game, top combat system and soundtrack. Only thing i hated was the last boss...

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The laughing scene is so intentionally bad that it wraps back and in around on itself, and will probably be one of videogaming's all-time most embarassing moments both for the developers and anyone who watches it.

But that doesn't stop the game from being great. The characters, the leveling, the battle system, the story, Seymour's hair. Sure, Blitzball is bad, Yuna speaks in a terrible, awkward halting way because apparently they wanted to make her match the existing mouth movements (or so I've heard?) and Kimahri is a floundering mess of a character in terms of battle uniqueness but it's all still a blast to play through.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I love SIN... the whole slow boil on the lore of all the villains was pretty excellent

This is what I like a lot about FFX, as well as the slow boil of what we learn about the past of Spira. Learning about the Summoner's plight and the tale of Jecht, Braska, and Auron both through retellings and the memory spheres adds so much more to that game I feel.

While I love the cast of Final Fantasy X, Auron is one of my favorite video games characters of all time. GameInformer once summed it greatly when they chose the character as #21 of their 30 most important characters in games released from 2000-2010, "...Auron proves that transcending the usual tropes of the genre can have fantastic results, and that the best character and the main character don't always need to be the same person."

I still think we should have got a Final Fantasy X prequel where you play as Braska, Jecht, and Young Auron.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE the Sphere Grid and the in-battle character swap system. FFX was so awesome to have so soon after FFIX (which is also God-Tier)

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When the universe decreed that the JP VA and English script shall never appear at the same time.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
It's my 4th favorite FF after 6,9, and 14. Yeah the laughing scene is a bit dumb, but that small part doesn't really detract from it being one of the best games in the franchise.

Meffer

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most awkward road trip. You have a numb nut dork, a passive doorstop, a racist idiot, a sexy lady, an actual badass, a stoic furry and teen stuck in a group. That's hilarious.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm playing through it right now and it's average
every cut scene is awkward not just the laughing scene...

Definitely better than XIII though for sure

It's the most awkward road trip. You have a numb nut dork, a passive doorstop, a racist idiot, a sexy lady, an actual badass, a stoic furry and teen stuck in a group. That's hilarious.

I'm having a hard time deciphering which character fits which descriptions which speaks volumes about the cast in this game...
How I ever thought Tidus was a "Cool Dude" back in the day is beyond me... He's pretty lame

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Paul-and-Taran.gif

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
I've been foruming pretty much since the game came out. People made fun of the laugh then, too. Moreso now, sure. But this been going on.

For me personally? It sucked then, and it sucks now.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tidus looks like a fucking idiot. It's not even the outfit, it's his stupid face. I can't play a game as that goober.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Only the laugh is a meme. And it's the internet that's how things are. The rest of the game is too notch. & it's still the best example of turn based combat in a JRPG & still has the greatest OST.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Not a bad game, but was a huge disappointment for me back in 2002.

Imagine you playing FF 7, 8, 9 and being excited for a new FF with all the power from the brand new PS2 console. Then you get a linear, limited, and visually questionable game that doesn't feel at all like older FF games.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
For me the Tidus question is not "why does he laugh like an idiot" because that's, dare I say, diegetic, but "why the fuck is he missing a pant leg"

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
Going from Kuja to Seymour was like being served a bland spaggetti dinner. The voice acting for the most part is atrocious, Tidus is up there with the most boring FF protags ever.

Yu Yevon............. (just awful)

And yeah, i played it day of release when it came out. Didn't care for Yuna or Tidus or their relationship what so ever.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
FFX is the most under-appreciated FF. It's not old enough to be appreciated by old school fans and it's not modern enough to be appreciated by new school fans. In reality, FFX was the last time SE gave us a game that delivered on nearly all the ideals Square stood for at the time. The game was not only a fully polished product on the cutting edge of tech back in the day, but it's ideas were fully realized to the point it spawned countless imitators. And then the story...it's a great one that wasn't afraid to wallow in quietness and contemplation while it set up its big moments.

FFX had it all. I wish modern would SE was capable of such a game. Even though I've liked their output since then, the games have felt incomplete (FFXIII or FFXV) or falling just short of greatness (FFXII). The polish is gone and I miss it.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Final Fantasy X is amazing and could only be improved by adding enemies on the map instead of random.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Not a bad game, but was a huge disappointment for me back in 2002.

Imagine you playing FF 7, 8, 9 and being excited for a new FF with all the power from the brand new PS2 console. Then you get a linear, limited, and visually questionable game that doesn't feel at all like older FF games.
This is it exactly...
For a series that was pretty consistent throughout all of a sudden you get a game with no overworld map... no real airship... bad chocobo implementation... no materia AGAIN (lol) and awkward voice acting and scenes... Forced party switching, no experience for people in the party unless they actually do something... a fairly linear path along a story that doesn't really make much sense... Weapons and armor that really don't matter... and summons that only one person can use.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the worst casts in any game ive ever played. Terrible lead. Awful english VA delivery. Ridiculous over-reaching story even for FF standards. STUPIDLY linear and no overworld.

Great battle system and levelling, and good locations. Solid soundtrack. Lower tier FF overall.

Lady Catherine de Bourgh

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Love FFX. The sphere grid, music and battle system really clicked for me. Liked most of the characters and Yuna especially. The softness of her character and the rather grim goal she pursued are a nice contrast. Would definitely play it again

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Until XII and XIII came out, it was my least favorite Final Fantasy. I understand the laughing scene's context, but I think it was more a catch all to the fact that the voice acting overall was trash. Great actors, very poor vocal direction. When I think about going back through it, I am reminded how much I didn't like the linear structure, and how horrible the voice acting was.

GreySquirrel

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see a problem with the game but the novel book sequel description along with the gifs had me in tears in the old site

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
How many games today are about death? This was was about death and mourning like no other game has ever tried to achieved. It's one of the most important and mature stories of the generation, and of Final Fantasy.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I loved FFX too bro, but are you really unaware that "the laughing scene" was mocked mercilessly in 2002? Granted, most of the mocking came from typical hater anti-fans of the stripe that were called into existence shortly after FFVII took over the world in fall 1997.

Mit-

Oct 26, 2017
Loved the game when I was younger, find the voice acting insufferable now (and I think Tidus' English voice is fine, actually), played it again with Japanese dub inserted into the English game, loved it again.

I believe the remasters have the Japanese dub included? If so, and you watch Japanese dubbed anime, give it a shot ASAP.

Stimpack

Oct 27, 2017
I played it back in 2002 at the age of 21 and yeah we didn't have social media like now, or any of the meme generation tools like today, but I recall my friends and I roasting the game over the following:
1. The goofy pronunciation of Tidus as "Teedus"
2. The infamous "HAHAAAAHAAA" scene
3. Gotta save the world, hol' up a minute... I'm gonna do a season of Blitzball first...
4. Tidus's goofy asymmetrical pant/shorts.

We were definitely dunking on this game back then, I promise.
FFX had me falling off hard. Square in general post-merger is mostly not great.