• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
It's probably the most fun I had with combat and progression systems in numbered FFs
My dream is a mix of its combat, materia system from 7, grid sphere and job system

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy IX released a year earlier

IX was tangentially about the mortality of the self. Spira is all about death, an entire society. Its culture is a culture of mourning, of cyclic atonement, calm and death once again. Even the al-bhed are defined by their rejection of the summoner's tradition of martyrdom. They're very different scales. The whole game is about death.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
I know this thread is mostly trying to paint people who dislike FFX as the quote on quote bad guys, but it is and was an extremely laughable game.

Druffmaul

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
How out of touch with reality do you have to be to *actually* believe that a dub of Square's first foray into 3D animated cinematic cutscenes for was that good?

Like, do you seriously think that if that scene showed up in a Hollywood film the audience would be like "yeah that seemed like a well written, well acted scene."

The context of that scene in the story itself was that the laughing was forced and fake to the point of being awkward, cringey, embarrassing. I've never said the actors deserved an award or anything, but, y'know, mission accomplished at least.

EDIT: Just noticed you called out the dub specifically. Did you think the Japanese version of the scene was less cringey or something? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaDocsZkWK0

Last edited:

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How out of touch with reality do you have to be to *actually* believe that a dub of Square's first foray into 3D animated cinematic cutscenes for was that good?

Like, do you seriously think that if that scene showed up in a Hollywood film the audience would be like "yeah that seemed like a well written, well acted scene."

Why are the circumstances of the animation of any relevance?

This scene could have been on a NES for all I care and it wouldn't change a thing.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain

The bad writing, the horrible VA direction and casting, the nonsensical endgame that people still can't agree on what actually happened, the awfully designed Seymour, the sequel in it's entirety, the character designs and yeah, the laughing scene is very, very laughable.

I don't think FFX is straight up awful, but it sure has a lot of bad stuff on it.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
The context of that scene in the story itself was that the laughing was forced and fake to the point of being awkward, cringey, embarrassing. I've never said the actors deserved an award or anything, but, y'know, mission accomplished at least.
That doesn't excuse the execution lol. "It was supposed to be awkward" is not a free pass.

Why are the circumstances of the animation of any relevance?

This scene could have been on a NES for all I care and it wouldn't change a thing.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
People still love it, OP. It's just that laughing scene that's a meme.

If the game wasn't adored, Square wouldn't have re-released it 4,000,000 times like they've done in the past five years.
Yeah, this. I've been dismayed to see the game get shit on so frequently these days. Opinion on it has DEFINITELY seemed to sour over the years, and maybe rightfully so. It's still one of the GOAT FFs for me and a VERY memorable experience that I still love to relive every 4 or 5 years.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
The bad writing, the horrible VA direction and casting, the nonsensical endgame that people still can't agree on what actually happened, the awfully designed Seymour, the sequel in it's entirety, the character designs and yeah, the laughing scene is very, very laughable.

I don't think FFX is straight up awful, but it sure has a lot of bad stuff on it.

Woah. Bad writing? As compared to the other single player FFs it's damn fine I'd say. Have you played XIII and XV? Good lord. Even XII's overall story (not plotting and script) is a tier down imo.

Also woah, nonsensical endgame? I don't remember this at all.

And what was the ish with Seymour? Again, especially as compared to other FF villains. Sure, he looks ridiculous, but there have been many, many worse.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
That doesn't excuse the execution lol. "It was supposed to be awkward" is not a free pass.
I think the conversation about that scene isn't helped because people aren't properly articulating what's bad about it.

It's not that the scene is awkward in and of itself that is the issue, rather it's the fact that even for a scene that was supposed to be awkward it feels poorly directed in terms of VA. It doesn't feel like a "natural awkward scene", if that makes any sense. It's very clearly a product of awkward JRPG writing/dubbing, regardless of authorial intent.

About the most you can say is that it was Square's first big dub project of that scale so it was bound to have issues.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFX was the beginning of cringe era Square. Maybe it was the voice acting...idk. I find the game a chore to play now

Druffmaul

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I think the conversation about that scene isn't helped because people aren't properly articulating what's bad about it.

It's not that the scene is awkward in and of itself that is the issue, rather it's the fact that even for a scene that was supposed to be awkward it feels poorly directed in terms of VA. It doesn't feel like a "natural awkward scene", if that makes any sense. It's very clearly a product of awkward JRPG writing/dubbing, regardless of authorial intent.

Are you demonstrating your own point or something? You didn't articulate any specific flaws any better than anybody else has for the last nearly 20 years.

Last edited:

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Are you demonstrating your own point or something? You didn't articulate any specific flaws any better than anybody else has for the last nearly 20 years.
What I often see is people saying the scene is awkward, and people responding to that by saying "that's the point!" and things are left at that. Maybe that's just my experience.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
a lot of players couldn't deal with one or more of the following aspects of the game even back when it released

1. occasionally sub-par voice acting direction

2. some extremely silly outfits

3. a male main character who doesn't live up to typical western ideals of masculinity, who can actually connect with people and be in touch with their feelings. (a lot of criticism at the time, and even today, boil down to the main character being "whiny". i think if you're going to make an argument against tidus as a main character, pointing out how legitimately dumb he is many times throughout the game would be a lot more successful.)

in retrospect, 1 and 2 bother me a bit, but not enough that i can't look past it for what is clearly a very high quality game

i always thought the laughing scene was great. i was very surprised to find out how many people hated it

Last edited:

Druffmaul

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
What I often see is people saying the scene is awkward, and people responding to that by saying "that's the point!" and things are left at that. Maybe that's just my experience.

If what you said previously was true, then every scene in the entire game should register about as equally awkward/cringey as any other scene. Which is clearly not the case. People have always singled out the laughing scene as particularly cringey. When it's pointed out that it's supposed to be, they simply doubled down, as you're doing now.

EDIT: I will of course grant that as an early example of a video game with voice acting, yes, it generally does have a bit of a cartoony air that lacks gravitas for an epic story. But that was par for the course in those days. My whole point here is that the laughing scene in particular being singled out and picked on is bullshit and the result of people being lame as fuck.

Last edited:

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
I literally remember nothing about the game except the lightning dodge thing, and being stuck for ages at a midpoint boss fight because I refused to grind.
I made it all the way to the end, but I really dont remember anything specific about it.

FF12 is way more memorable to me

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
I played FF10 for the first tme in 2014 an saw nothin' wrong with the laughing scene. Today I dun even remember it until people bring it up. For me the most memorable things about the game was that it became the 2nd mainline FF I'd ever beaten, you could swap characters mid-battle, and the awful grind I had to endure to beat the final boss and even then it took soooo long I muted the audio cause I couldn't stand that awful vocal song!

May 13, 2019
Which was dumb since it's supposed to be forced. I mean, how else should it have been done? Force it less? Force it more.?

Smells to me like a bunch of people not getting the point even though they claim they dom
Agreed. Even when Tidus' VA went to say for the recrod the scene was meant to be awkward, people still dismissed the explanation arguing it's still bad.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR

About the most you can say is that it was Square's first big dub project of that scale so it was bound to have issues.
But that's so implicit in criticism of the scene. Players universally understood that the intent of the scene was about forcing smiles and forcing laughter. It was just really *unnecessarily* painful to watch

Clarification wouldn't help people defending this scene because the entire premise of their viewpoint is doing aerial logic backflips until no one else "actually understood" the scene.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
This thread is turning into an argument over whether or not the laughing scene was good. That's fine, I like the chaos.

My opinion: it's all terribly contrived. Sure, the laughing is supposed to be forced - laughing on purpose to find joy in an otherwise horrible situation. That was pretty obvious to me when I first saw the clip in middle school. Yes it was supposed to be awkward, and yes it easily was awkward, but it wasn't awkward for the reason they intended.

First of all, that doesn't seem like a realistic character moment at all. Like who does that? How naive are these characters? Comes off corny as hell. Feels like writers are trying to write a "genuine sweet moment" without knowing what one actually feels/looks like.

Secondly, even in the times when I fake laugh, it doesn't sound anything like that. I'm usually trying to replicate my actual laugh. Tidus' laugh sounds like the laugh I use when I'm dressed up as a serial killer and trying to scare my little cousins.

Makes me curious... are the people defending the laugh..... from America? Maybe it just sounds weird to American ears? idk

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
If what you said was true, then every scene in the entire game should register about as equally awkward/cringey as any other scene. Which is clearly not the case. People have always singled out the laughing scene as particularly cringey. When it's pointed out that it's supposed to be, they simply doubled down, as you're doing now.
*shrug* I was just pointing out that from where I'm standing, it's possible for people to not care for the scene for other reasons besides "they didn't get it" (though perhaps I should have worded it differently). Obviously you're free to disagree.

Druffmaul

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I mean, I do think the scene was not necessarily well-written or directed but I'm not overly fussed either way about this issue. I was just pointing out that it's possible for people to not care for the scene for other reasons besides "they didn't get it". Obviously you're free to disagree.

I'm not talking about generally not liking the scene for whatever various reasons there may be. I'm specifically talking about people who hate the scene "because it's so awkward/cringey/embarrassing." Which it obviously is meant to be. It's just a such an empty and circular criticism, very easily dismissed.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017

What's nonsensical about the endgame?
Was pretty straightforward.

Character designs were pretty damn good outside of Tidus himself and that was just his clothes, but then again he's supposed to look out of place as he is from a different place in time and Walks and his stupid hair. Yuna, Rikku, Auron and the rest of the main cast were all pretty decent designwise.

sbkodama

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I liked about it was the battle system, I can't care less about everything else in ff10.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Well, that's an interesting take
i think it's a pretty accurate take though

i remember reading a lot of complaining about tidus being "whiny" on fan forums back in the day. what makes him whiny in these people's eyes? the fact that he shows his feelings and is still until the game takes place affected by the emotional abuse his father subjected him to as a kid.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
One of my all time favorites, I absolutely adore that game and spent probably over a thousand hours with it growing up. The game has its faults, but man do I love it.

DrLight66

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The problem with FFX is that Tidus is the most unlikable and annoying main character in video game history.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
lol FFX was never god-like. not even close

it was an above average solid FF, not more

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Character/costume design is among the worst I've ever seen in a game. I don't understand how anyone can take it seriously

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah... it hasn't aged brilliantly. It always had problems, but it was SO damn good looking that a lot of those got brushed aside. Now that those graphics aren't blowing minds, the problems are much more visible. On top of that, the laughing scene (which despite revisionist historians pretending is some stroke of genius, has always been terrible) has always been meme worthy. Also, the official sequel novel is the dumbest fucking thing ever written. So that makes it even more meme worthy.

It isn't an awful game. It definitely has positive attributes. We learned how bad Final Fantasy games could truly get when Final Fantasy XIII came out...

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
FFX is amazing and the laughing scene was fucking adorable.

I dismiss anybody's opinion if they make fun of that scene.

I think I unfollowed someone on Facebook because they tried to act like FFX was just that scene. Takes like that drive me nuts.

Agreed with OP for the most part. To this day, I give FFX credit for being the only FF game to get me to buy into its romance subplot. Tidus as the outsider in this world full of people who accepted death as a part of everyday life was amazing. Yuna was clearly attracted to his more sunny disposition and optimism. But there's also the scene where you first see Yuna come out of the Besaid temple, exhausted after having prayed for hours (if I remember right?). The way that scene was done, it seemed like it was from Tidus's perspective and I got the sense that he was awed at this woman who was pushing herself so hard.

It also helps that they both seemed to have a similar sense of humor (what one can actually glean from the laughing scene).

Tidus x Yuna for life

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
FfX is a top 4 FF for me. The character design is awesome in this game. It's the costume design that kinda sucks. Yuna, Lulu, Rikku, Auron and Kimarinhave amazing designs.