• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I wonder why people keep nitpicking a scene or two in a 60h+ game. this is not really how you judge a game or a story. FFX has a great story, and it was very emotional, and to this day few games can match its outstanding cut-scenes. Yuna's dance on the water for example was very imaginative and very powerful scene.

and the voice acting was much better than what some people say about it. it felt like the actors really cared about the characters and about portraying them.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I wonder why people keep nitpicking a scene or two in a 60h+ game. this is not really how you judge a game or a story. FFX has a great story, and it was very emotional, and to this day few games can match its outstanding cut-scenes. Yuna's dance on the water for example was very imaginative and very powerful scene.

and the voice acting was much better than what some people say about it. it felt like the actors really cared about the characters and about portraying them.
All 60h was poorly acted

Spish!

Oct 27, 2017
I used to rag on FFVIII until I played this joke of a game.

Gonna have to side with the memes on this one.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think FFX is a bad game but it pales in comparison to its predecessors, or even its direct succcessor (by that I mean XII, not X-2).

FFX started a long downwards trend for Final Fantasy games that still afflict the series until this day so here's a handy list of 10 reasons why I hate FFX:
  1. It put an emphasis on presentation rather than storytelling
  2. While FF games have always been linear, FFX is the first that truly felt the part, from the world, to the towns and the dungeons, everything felt linear. They might as well have put rails on the game and have players hold a button to move onwards (which they kind of did for the first 10 hours of FFXIII)
  3. Many common-stays of the series were outright removed or altered to the point of almost complete irrelevance:
    1. world map
    2. towns
    3. equipment
    4. summons
    5. chocobo
    6. airship
  4. In an effort to reinvent the wheel of gameplay mechanics, which most FF games tend to do, it added a new leveling system that, in its default form, is practically as linear as previous games but is presented in a way that makes it seem as if the user has a lot of choices when in reality, most of those choices boil down to "what do I unlock first" rather than any semblance of character building
  5. the plot is a contrived mess and deals with mostly shallow themes and the end-boss was, to me, anti-climatic given the shoddy voice performance and writing
  6. one of the main antagonists of the story is a poor excuse of a villain that only becomes poorer as he keeps being brought back
  7. the cast is largely unremarkable and most of the characters lack, well, character. At no point did most of the characters, their ambitions, goals or personalities feel remarkable. The only exception to that would be Wakka who has a clear goal from the start of the game and manages to accomplish it partway through. Other Final Fantasy games also fail in this regard in the sense that they don't give other characters a lot of reasons for being but X does it particularly bad. I don't think there's even been a Final Fantasy game in which I was either completely indifferent or despised most of the main cast. Given that I had played FFIX just a few months prior (I was late in acquiring it), X felt particularly egregious in this regard and an almost complete opposite for how I feel for most characters in IX
  8. As much as it is beating on a dead horse at this point, the voice acting, not just in the "hahaha" scene ranges from mediocre to abysmal. Admittedly, the script does the actors no favor, and perhaps their director did a poor job of conveying the character motivations but that's no fault of our own. If an RPG with text-boxes is ever to convey characters' emotions better than a voice actor can then the voice-acting has failed and X fails miserably
  9. In an effort to make up for the long development cycle it started to become a habit for mainline Final Fantasy games to have inconclusive or open endings and "fixing" them later on with sequels, spinoffs or DLC. X has the honor being the first to embark on this dark path
  10. Blitzball is the worst mini-game in any Final Fantasy game I've played
You can put a game together with the same ingredients as previous Final Fantasy games and slap the Final Fantasy branding onto it and while nothing will change the fact that X, XIII and XV are Final Fantasy games they lack the most crucial ingredient that has made the series stand out and stand the test of time. Final Fantasy X has no heart.

Oct 28, 2017
All 60h was poorly acted

giphy.gif

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Your opinion, i disagree.
I mean to be nice about it... I think Wakka's voice actor did great... and Auron too.
A lot of the awkwardness comes from how oddly paced the conversations are... but yeah... it's evident throughout

I don't think FFX is a bad game but it pales in comparison to its predecessors, or even its direct succcessor (by that I mean XII, not X-2).

FFX started a long downwards trend for Final Fantasy games that still afflict the series until this day so here's a handy list of 10 reasons why I hate FFX:
  2. While FF games have always been linear, FFX is the first that truly felt the part, from the world, to the towns and the dungeons, everything felt linear. They might as well have put rails on the game and have players hold a button to move onwards (which they kind of did for the first 10 hours of FFXIII)
  3. Many common-stays of the series were outright removed or altered to the point of almost complete irrelevance:
    1. world map
    2. towns
    3. equipment
    4. summons
    5. chocobo
    6. airship
  4. In an effort to reinvent the wheel of gameplay mechanics, which most FF games tend to do, it added a new leveling system that, in its default form, is practically as linear as previous games but is presented in a way that makes it seem as if the user has a lot of choices when in reality, most of those choices boil down to "what do I unlock first" rather than any semblance of character building
  5. the plot is a contrived mess and deals with mostly shallow themes and the end-boss was, to me, anti-climatic given the shoddy voice performance and writing
  6. one of the main antagonists of the story is a poor excuse of a villain that only becomes poorer as he keeps being brought back
  7. the cast is largely unremarkable and most of the characters lack, well, character. At no point did most of the characters, their ambitions, goals or personalities feel remarkable. The only exception to that would be Wakka who has a clear goal from the start of the game and manages to accomplish it partway through. Other Final Fantasy games also fail in this regard in the sense that they don't give other characters a lot of reasons for being but X does it particularly bad. I don't think there's even been a Final Fantasy game in which I was either completely indifferent or despised most of the main cast. Given that I had played FFIX just a few months prior (I was late in acquiring it), X felt particularly egregious in this regard and an almost complete opposite for how I feel for most characters in IX
  8. As much as it is beating on a dead horse at this point, the voice acting, not just in the "hahaha" scene ranges from mediocre to abysmal. Admittedly, the script does the actors no favor, and perhaps their director did a poor job of conveying the character motivations but that's no fault of our own. If an RPG with text-boxes is ever to convey characters' emotions better than a voice actor can then the voice-acting has failed and X fails miserably
  9. In an effort to make up for the long development cycle it started to become a habit for mainline Final Fantasy games to have inconclusive or open endings and "fixing" them later on with sequels, spinoffs or DLC. X has the honor being the first to embark on this dark path
You can put a game together with the same ingredients as previous Final Fantasy games and slap the Final Fantasy branding onto it and while nothing will change the fact that X, XIII and XV are Final Fantasy games they lack the most crucial ingredient that has made the series stand out and stand the test of time. Final Fantasy X has no heart.

This is the most perfect explanation I have ever seen. I feel exactly this. FFX was the beginning of the end.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bad game

But also one that has been rereleased multiple times so I'm not sure why 17 year old aren't allowed to have an opinion on it.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
The FF with the best gameplay imho. The story is decent as well, but the character designs suck. That Seymour guy looks ridiculous.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember much from the game at all. The laugh scene, the ball in water game that gets blown up, a fight on a boat and something to do with an airship. That's about it with the last two being in most FF games.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
The FF with the best gameplay imho. The story is decent as well, but the character designs suck. That Seymour guy looks ridiculous.

God, that's like one of my favorite scenes in the game. Seymour's voice actor is absolutely amazing, The ice cold serenity was absolutely chilling! And you can't get a better impression of a cool pope then;

Seymour: they should fight to protect spira if they want to.

Wakka: but they use machina! That's Taboo!

Seymour:"Then pretend you didn't see them."

Wakka: Uh, that's not something a Maester should say!?

Seymour:"Then pretend I didn't say it."

Freaking gets me every time, he's the COOLEST POPE!

With the Best boss theme at the end!

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada

1. world map
    2. towns
    3. equipment
    4. summons
    5. chocobo
    6. airship
I'd rather have FFX than anything that came afterwards though (except FFXII like you said, that game is great).

If Persona 5 proved us turn by turn can still work, I'm not sure why Square Enix can't keep up. ARPGs are radically different than RPGs in that their combat system feel hectic, which I dislike. My #1 wish for FFXVI is a return to form, both in terms of gameplay and story.

In fact, erase everything from FFXIII onwards. Go back to what made FFV and FFVI such masterpieces. But I doubt it, because FFXV still sold wonders despite being IMO a bad game.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am 24 and love the ffx memes the game had super silly and funny moments that fit well with meme culture.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a male main character who doesn't live up to typical western ideals of masculinity, who can actually connect with people and be in touch with their feelings. (a lot of criticism at the time, and even today, boil down to the main character being "whiny". i think if you're going to make an argument against tidus as a main character, pointing out how legitimately dumb he is many times throughout the game would be a lot more successful.)
People really think Tidus is some peak progressive character when he is basically there so Yuna doesn't take the protagonist role. Yuna has way more relevance to the plot, personal stakes , relationships with the party members,etc. He is just a less bad Vaan and yes, this is sexist.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
People really think Tidus is some peak progressive character when he is basically there so Yuna doesn't take the protagonist role. Yuna has way more relevance to the plot, personal stakes , relationships with the party members,etc. He is just a less bad Vaan and yes, this is sexist.
um, who said that they thought tidus is a "peak progressive character"?

i certainly did not

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Cant agree with FFX being the start of linearity when 12 came right after and XV is largely open world until a certain point. Everything else sure.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
um, who said that they thought tidus is a "peak progressive character"?

i certainly did not
Complaining about how people don't like him because he isn't some typical male character is lowkey implying he is more progressive it but I'm wasnt talking about your post specifically, I have seen people implying that or even worse, implying Squall is progressive

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
X had a great battling and leveling system. Everything else about it was basically awful. Visually it was stunning in its day though. Tactics, 5 and 8 are still the best of the ones I have played.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
OP blaming this on teenagers on 9gag suddenly shitting on an old game theyve never played and seemingly not aware theyre recycling common dunks ppl have had with ffx from day one really speaks to the bubbles we create for ourselves

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019

DiMaggio has said it was one of the easiest voice gigs he's ever done because they had virtually zero direction, and it seemed nobody cared beyond getting the words in the script recorded. But good one, reading what you wrote gave me a nice chuckle.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
DiMaggio has said it was one of the easiest voice gigs he's ever done because they had virtually zero direction, and it seemed nobody cared beyond getting the words in the script recorded. But good one, reading what you wrote gave me a nice chuckle.

I would say Hedy Burress obviously cared since she tried to match her voice to the lip flaps (which worked against her). That definitely should've been something someone directed her not to do.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017

1. world map
    2. towns
    3. equipment
    4. summons
    5. chocobo
    6. airship

1 is false as it still has one of the better ff story to date,
2: ffx is linear but it opens up a lot more later on, after calm lands and after the airship, where you can travel where ever you want really
4: expert grid allows you to choose whatever you want and actually build any character how you want them ( not in the original western ps2 release, but its there in the remaster.)
I dont know how you can call the story a "mess', it makes sense, is not too complicate, its easy to follow (see shit like ff13 if you want a mess)
9: bullshit, FFX has a great ending that holds perfectly on its own, just because they tried to make quick cash with X-2 doesnt mean FFX's ending isnt good, or open, or incomplete.

seriously, most of your points are just you bashing on the game for no reason.. well, because you didn't like it. But you dont have to make shit up to bash on a game.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
lol, so many hot takes in this thread.

I'm not gonna try to psychologize why people hate this or that.

But yes, that infamous laughing scene makes sense in context, and Tidus is a good character.

And he's probably one of the best main characters FF has to offer (even if that's not a spectacular achievement ...)

There are other areas to criticize, like some really weird clothing designs, the whole corridor feeling, the battle system being perfectible, etc.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
tbh it was the first FF where i was a little "eh..."

felt a little too much was sacrificed to pack a game that visually impressive in a 2001 ps2 disc. all in all still a classic but i remember reaching the final portion of the game thinking "huh, that's it?"

also not the biggest fan of the writing. lot of cool concepts on the base character and plot level but kinda went off the rails from there. still not sure i can parse the whole sin/dad/i'm a dream thing but it's been nearly two decades since i played the game

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1 is false as it still has one of the better ff story to date,
2: ffx is linear but it opens up a lot more later on, after calm lands and after the airship, where you can travel where ever you want really
4: expert grid allows you to choose whatever you want and actually build any character how you want them ( not in the original western ps2 release, but its there in the remaster.)
I dont know how you can call the story a "mess', it makes sense, is not too complicate, its easy to follow (see shit like ff13 if you want a mess)
9: bullshit, FFX has a great ending that holds perfectly on its own, just because they tried to make quick cash with X-2 doesnt mean FFX's ending isnt good, or open, or incomplete.

seriously, most of your points are just you bashing on the game for no reason.. well, because you didn't like it. But you dont have to make shit up to bash on a game.

2. being able to revisit corridors you went through a few hours back doesn't make it much less linear
4. being able to choose "do I want spells" or "do I want better attacks" does not a big amount of depth. If they had made your character gain certain abilities at certain levels, the end result would have been practically the same. The grid system is a distraction, nothing more. The expert grid does add some options but ultimately certain characters are still better a certain roles and you're likely to follow a certain path first rather than exploring all of them. Lastly, what the grid system replaces is gaining stats and abilities when your character levelup. A big part of jRPGs and Final Fantasy is the sense of progression you feel as you go along and the grid system actually makes it worse because rather than going "Oh wow I learned Omni-slash!" in FFX you go "Oh wow I got another gem... now I only need X amount of points to unlock this thing that might be cool. The grid system puts a damper on the enjoyment of making your character more powerful. The end result is the same, but IMO it's a worse system that was made solely for the ridiculous desire Square has to try to reinvent the wheel of jRPG mechanics in each new game needlessly.
9. I'll agree to disagree on the quality of X's ending but you can not deny that it started the trend of Square Enix releasing sequels, spinoffs and DLCs to change the ending of their Final Fantasy games.

Lastly, I find it funny that you criticize me for "making shit up" yet you're only able to argue against 3 of the 10 points I made but I don't want to enter a childish back forth with you. I understand why some people like FFX, it does have some great qualities. The soundtrack is one of the better ones, the graphics were gorgeous at the time and have held up significantly better than some of the earlier 3D games and for a lot of people FFX was their first entry into the series, so it holds a special place in their heart. I can understand and sympathize with all of those things and just in case you forgot about it, read the first line in my post:

I don't think FFX is a bad game

It's just one that disappointed me greatly for the reasons I mentioned on my list, but I guess to you those reasons are me "making shit up". Your dismissing of my arguments is more offensive than anything I stated but I apologize if you feel offended because I criticized something you liked. We all share different opinions about things.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017

I wonder if better graphics nowadays would prevent Square-Enix from even attempting that hair style. It looks kind of fine to me (even though I also acknowledge how silly it is) because the graphics are so bad anyway, but nowadays you can see individual strands of hair it would look ridiculous.

Mjolnir

Alt account
Banned
May 2, 2019
I wonder if this was a shift that happened in the PS3/360 generation where JRPGs became more derided? At least I know that around the release of FFXIII that a lot of people suddenly made criticisms of the series that otherwise used to be a staple.

Ranma

Oct 27, 2017
Milan, Italy
Eh, didn't like ff-x that much. It was the start of the "corridor design", had bad minigames and I didn't find the story all that good.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm mixed on it.

I like:
Yuna and Auron, their designs and character arcs.
The music and world design, the SE Asia vibe.
The thematic use of water.
The opening.
Yuna's dance for the sending, the general mythology of the game.
The combat system in general. I love turn-based combat systems where you can see a turn order. It's clear and you can strategise around it, the effects of using status buffs/debuffs like haste and slow are immediately visable.
Being able to swap in reserve characters without it costing multiple actions.

I dislike:
The character designs of the rest of the cast, particularly Tidus and Lulu. Tidus looks like he got lost from a Kingdom Hearts game, all zips and silly shorts, and Lulu has a black dress made of belts. It looks incredibly unconfortable.
Wakka, Kimhari and Rikku are just instantly forgettable for me.
Blitzball. Can't stand it.
Tidus and his outsider nature as a device for everyone giving him info dumps on the world is a well-worn concept that works in fantasy. However, the way he then ignores explicit instructions about social faux pas to stomp around temples and charge into holy places to interfere with something important to the rest of the party that he doesn't understand is just obnoxious. I get that it's a tropey 'but he has a strong sense of right and wrong!' JRPG lead, but it comes across as just a total lack of any kind of social skills in the name of a blind hero complex, even when there is no threat present.
The way combat is so easily divided by character. Fliers? Bring in Wakka. Armour? Bring in Auron etc.
The linearity, although it does suit the focused pilgrimage nature.

With regard to the laughing scene, it's a few seconds of dumb humour to lighten the pace in a campaign about a slow march to oblivion. It doesn't bother me at all, there are far stronger cut scenes that stick in my mind more, and far better criticisms to make of the game.

All in all I much prefer it to FFXIII, and it's one of the handful I've played through more than once (Most recently on Vita about 5 years ago). Not in my top three or anything but still one I enjoy enough. Can't say I find the whole plot etc as memorable as the OP, but there are themes and moments and mechanics that are amongst my favourite in the series, which is more than I can say for quite a few FF games.

Last edited:

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For me, it was Tidducks dying a third time do to a soccer bomb

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
You are free to believe what you want. Tidus actor recorded a video before and explained how invested he was in his role.
But sure nobody cared because you said so... lol.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
One of the very best games ever. Few games have managed to excel both at production values and game mechanics.

Unforgettable.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
The voice acting in general was a mistake. I absolutely hated it when the game came out. I played it at my mother's house because I was a mere kiddo at the time, and I remember turning the volume down out of embarrassment.

Also, everything about Tidus is just the worst. Everything.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Gamers not getting the point of the laughing scene makes me think they're like Sheldon from big bang theory

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Your praise of the game isn't universal, OP. The game looked amazing, but looks are skin deep. Everything underneath was pretty terrible.