• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
It turned into a meme because it was the point at which it could no longer be denied that the FF series was on a downhill slide, one that it has never recovered from. It's the first, and to this day only, mainline FF title I didn't bother to finish. I got through FF13's garbage but at a certain point in FFX I had to admit to myself that I just didn't care about anyone or anything in the game and simply never turned it on again.

Gamers not getting the point of the laughing scene makes me think they're like Sheldon from big bang theory

People get the laughing scene, it's just terribly done. People who don't understand the difference between intent and execution are far more similar to Sheldon.

Lilo_D

Oct 29, 2017
I played FFX on PSV and I really really dislike this game because compare to P4G, it's bad in any aspect

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
People get the laughing scene, it's just terribly done. People who don't understand the difference between intent and execution are far more similar to Sheldon.

No, it really wasn't. the game was aware of it, and it was meant to be silly.
people at this age do all silly things you can imagine to express themselves. look at those (reaction) videos on Youtube, at how some people feel they need to yell or exaggerate to a great degree
this is all there is to it. and not every good/great game should appeal to you or your preferences. the game had a 92 score on Metacritic for example, this is much higher than other games people here worship all the time.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Played it for the first time with the remaster on PSV and while the gameplay is fun, the level design, writing and worst of all voice acting were all extremely bad.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
However, the way he then ignores explicit instructions about social faux pas to stomp around temples and charge into holy places to interfere with something important to the rest of the party that he doesn't understand is just obnoxious. I get that it's a tropey 'but he has a strong sense of right and wrong!' JRPG lead, but it comes across as just a total lack of any kind of social skills in the name of a blind hero complex, even when there is no threat present.
Respectfully disagree. Tidus is socially deficient. That's a fair part of its psyche. It's why those "faux pas" moments work well.

They allow for game actions, and are consistent with the character. Tidus is actually much more realistic (all things considered) than people usually want to admit. He's a spoiled brat who's having a hard time dealing with, long story short, "daddy issues".

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I'm still sort of bewildered by the love this FF gets.

For me it just feels so damn plain.
The linearity is fine but it's just eh.

Need to play it again.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the laughing scene, that's all. Fantastic game.
Unfortunately that meme totally ignores the context of the scene as do everyone who uses it as an example of bad VA or that FF10 is a bad game. I mean, yes, it has awful VA, but that scene is them forcing themselves to laugh. Don't know about you but unless it's genuine, most forced laughs sound awful like that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly linear until the end-game, but there's nothing inherently bad about linearity, is there? The game pulled it off very well.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good game and the last FF that felt they knew what they wanted to do.

Post game is poop though.

plexxrock

Banned
Feb 19, 2019
You are free to believe what you want. Tidus actor recorded a video before and explained how invested he was in his role.
But sure nobody cared because you said so... lol.

the guy who did tidus also did emrick in the most beloved thundercats episode song of the petelars, so him making that vid seems like damage control, because of a trash script and next to no direction.

the fact the cast has no chemistry between each other really doesn't help either.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly linear until the end-game, but there's nothing inherently bad about linearity, is there? The game pulled it off very well.

I think that is a primary aspect of this schism... Personally, I don't think the game pulled it off well at all; I think the game fumbled this aspect terribly. As others have pointed out, most Final Fantasy games are pretty linear, but they tend to obfuscate that element pretty effectively. Final Fantasy X feels downright dinky due to how obviously linear it is. It feels like a Final Fantasy themed version of Disney's Its a Small World ride.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
The game is alright. The whole experience was much better for me once X-2 came out. The gameplay was more fun and I felt it closed out the story in a really good way.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
My favorite thing about the laughing scene is it is SO MUCH WORSE in Japanese. He sounds like a deranged seagull.

... Also, this scene is GREAT.