• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Using multiple alt accounts
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portsmouth
For many years that I can remember PC games would consistently top graphics lists, and even on message boards it was seem as the general consensus. For instance when Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Far Cry came out in 2004, nothing on the consoles look close, the same with Crysis in 2007, PC was always way ahead. The last few years or so though have consistently been Sony exclusive games like Uncharted, Horizon, The Order that have been seen as the games with best graphics. Though those games are limited by things like 30 FPS, shadow resolution and blurry TAA techniques, the overall package is seen as superior to anything on PC by many. While PC can have limitless resolution and FPS, and much higher draw distances, shadow resolution, something like The Witcher 3 or Assassins Creed Origins is still not considered better looking then those Sony Exclusive games by many, even though you can run PC games at much higher resolutions, framerates and overall fidelity,but if the assets and artistic direction aren't as impressive as those games on much less powerful machines, is that power going to waste?

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Never. I still see the PC as the kind of visuals no matter what super visual games releases on consoles

Ababol

Oct 25, 2017
When companies stopped caring about really high end graphics and focused on console parity instead. PC gets less exclusives, but more console ports at the cost of graphics, which is a good trade-off for me.

Nokterian

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Euroland
All right let me take you back to the 90's.

I was playing as young teenager on my PC back then i had Quake 1 and 2 and most in portantly is Quake 2. Because at that time a card came on the market called 3dfx Voodoo 1 with 4mb memory on it.
My dad bought the card from someone with heavy discount because new it was before we had the euro we paid in gilders it was around 900 at that time.

When we plugged that thing in the PC and fired up Quake 2 and later Unreal it was mindblowing how well it looked and how well it was running. This was in 1996/1997 that was the birth of the videocard that became the king of visuals.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Because there was a refocus during Gen 7. After most major PC developers decided to focus their efforts on consoles, that left a gulf in the space where the big budget titles were targeted. The PC market restructured with new, small and mid-tier devs (particularly of indie origin) started to grow in presence.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
It did? It still very much is. For every Uncharted there's a couple multiplats that absolutely look better on PC. This year we got Wildlands for example.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Never. I still see the PC as the kind of visuals no matter what super visual games releases on consoles

Ha I was just about to say good luck OP convincing PC gamers they aren't the king of the hill anymore.

It did? It still very much is. For every Uncharted there's a couple multiplats that absolutely look better on PC. This year we got Wildlands for example.

No maxed out multi looks better than Horizon

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never, hell even the current consoles are just PCs in disguise with their x86 GCN PC architectures. Horizon/Uncharted4/Order/Driveclub look fucking amazing, but so do ton of games on PC, where they can also run at 60fps, higher resolutions, detail..

lupianwolf

Oct 27, 2017
I assume you won't be able to finetune a PC game as much which needs to work on various set ups compared to just one console.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might wanna divide that OP into a few paragraphs if you want folks to read it

Max Payne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It did? PC is still the master race option if it comes to graphics, and I don't think that'll ever change tbh. I think there isn't much talk about it if it comes to comparisons, since everyone already know that the games there are superior in any way.

v_iHuGi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well if Naughty Dog or Guerrilla ported their games to Pc they would offer better visual than on Ps4 but yeah I see your point, Sony studios are way above competition tech wise on graphical departments.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Diminishing returns. Making the most of available hardware was easier back then, but now to fully utilize the graphical capabilities of high end PC hardware would take hundreds of millions of dollars in funding, and at least 3-4 years of dev time with a several hundred strong dev team.

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's a shame people don't consider how having smooth motion really adds a lot to what's essentially a set of moving images.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The last few years or so though have consistently been Sony exclusive games like Uncharted, Horizon, The Order that have been seen as the games with best graphics. Though those games are limited by things like 30 FPS, shadow resolution and blurry TAA techniques, the overall package is seen as superior to anything on PC by many

Um..

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Never? If you don't think it's the king of visuals you need a few upgrades. (1080, 4KTV, etc)

Oct 25, 2017
For a short time when the N64 came out, PCs were behind console hardware until GPUs caught up by 1998 or earlier.

In arcades it was like until 1998, Sega Hikaru arguably being the final piece of arcade hardware you could claim superior to any PC of the time.

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was playing as young teenager on my PC back then i had Quake 1 and 2 and most in portantly is Quake 2. Because at that time a card came on the market called 3dfx Voodoo 1 with 4mb memory on it.
My dad bought the card from someone with heavy discount because new it was before we had the euro we paid in gilders it was around 900 at that time.

When we plugged that thing in the PC and fired up Quake 2 and later Unreal it was mindblowing how well it looked and how well it was running. This was in 1996/1997 that was the birth of the videocard that became the king of visuals.
I love this story. It doesn't even attempt to answer the question of the thread, but I needed to read the whole thing anyway.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
PC is definitely still far above in technical prowess, but these days getting good graphics out of the hardware is largely a work of artist skill.

I'm a big PC gamer these days. But the really huge budget console exclusives by really talented developers can sometimes surpass the graphics seen on PC for whatever time. I think something like Horizon probably looks better than any game you can play on PC, except VR which moves things in a different direction.

I mean Ready at Dawn made Lone Echo which is an AMAZING looking game in a way no other game has even come close.

Maybe Squadron 42 will be the best looking game when it comes out, but RDR2 or God of War might outclass it in pure art. We'll see.

Video cards existed a long time before then. A good video card provided nice bandwidth, which was the big limiting factor in the old days of gaming.

3dfx heralded consumer 3D acceleration via video cards.

Herbz

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was bout to say "it never did" then I understood what you meant. Star Citizen will probably be it. Tho Star Citizen graphics seem old now (that might change).

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're getting to a point of diminishing returns with graphics. PC's don't eclipse consoles like they used to. Obviously they are still better graphically, but its not that huge leap any more. They are gonna get even closer next gen. PC's will always have an advantage in the end, but it'll be small stuff.

I think where PC can get ahead is in terms of CPU based games. Games like Battle Royale games or some new genre I can't think of is where they can get ahead.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
It still is very much king. Throw in Freesync and GSync into the argument and the difference is that much more notable.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
It did? PC is still the master race option if it comes to graphics, and I don't think that'll ever change tbh. I think there isn't much talk about it if it comes to comparisons, since everyone already know that the games there are superior in any way.

Its not talked about because it isn't true.
Yes we all know that if I want to play Rainbow 6 at its visual best I should get a PC but the OP isn't talking about that he is talking about the shift where the most impressive games visually used to always be far and away on PC. They were simply untouchable. The days of showing someone Crysis and it feeling like 5 years away from what a console could achieve are long gone.

You know that consoles do what they do using (outdated) PC tech inside them, right?

Are you seriously trying to use this as a counterpoint or are you just being cheeky?

Blabadon

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Also, controversial opinion (though it shouldn't be): The Order is still the best looking game I've ever played.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I think we're getting to a point of diminishing returns with graphics. PC's don't eclipse consoles like they used to. Obviously they are still better graphically, but its not that huge leap any more. They are gonna get even closer next gen. PC's will always have an advantage in the end, but it'll be small stuff.

I think where PC can get ahead is in terms of CPU based games. Games like Battle Royale games or some new genre I can't think of is where they can get ahead.
Console GPUs are gonna be even farther behind next gen.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, if you ignore things like resolution and frame rate.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It still is the king of visuals. But you'll rarely see pc exclusives or pc-developed titles anymore. Seems more and more often the pc copy is a port or developed secondary to the console market. And when done right, the pc version will look and run better than the console version.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The question of "best visuals" is a matter of taste so consoles always competed with PC. Maybe you mean the shift in what kind of games now exist on consoles, most of the libraries are shared nowadays and consoles are built like PC's.

Perfectsil

Nov 8, 2017
San Diego
Never? When people say "best graphics" on consoles they take into account the cost and power of consoles, wouldn't be fair comparing console graphics to PC running maxed out 4K 144hz

gnadenlos

Oct 28, 2017
30fps games only look good if you don't move. As soon as you start moving you get blur. Demo: https://testufo.com/

PC also has G-Sync/Freesync to help, so it's not 30fps or 60fps, but up to 144fps and as low as 40fps for less blur.

Status
Not open for further replies.