• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

When did we start showing kids dying in movies?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I was recently watching a movie at the theatre and this kid got abducted and tied down. Ok, the camera will cut away and we'll hear his screams, I thought. Nope. They went to town on this little boy who was anywhere between 10-12 years old.Dude was getting stabbed, and screaming his bloodied lil face off. I was so shocked and kinda disgusted? Like, I wasn't disgusted because someone was dying, but rather because I'm not used to seeing a kid die like that in a movie. When did this start happening?

My bad. I forgot I could spoiler the movie title. It was
Doctor Sleep

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I love horror movies too but I draw the line at seeing kids get hurt, unless it's pivotal to the story, like Pet Cemetery or Hereditary.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The Netflix movie The King has a kid carrying another kid's head into an army's camp.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I remember seeing The Blob (remake) when it came out, so I was around 8 or 9, and seeing the kid die fucked me up. Same with the animation segment with the Venus fly traps in Creepshow 2.

Oct 25, 2017
When Stephen King was allowed to make a movie, and it became the glory that is MAXIMUM Overdrive. (1986)

edit: huh. Guess I only just now noticed King has a thing for killing kids.

TAJ

Oct 28, 2017
The 1988 version of the Blob has a nasty kid kill.

Also, I'd run over a Little Leaguer with a steamroller for an uncut version of Maximum Overdrive.

Oct 25, 2017
The Mimic (or was it The Relic?)
SUBWAY! It's the best way to go!

It's a Del Toro movie, which I discovered recently, and it's Mimic, yes. And then Mira Scorvino ran into Weinstein.... sigh.

It's a wonderful little film though. Have been fond it since the day it released.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
From reading this thread, my impression is that most on-screen child deaths are done to shock the viewer. Though this is not always the case, in the vast majority of cases the child/baby character is disposable.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I must be fucked. I dont mind seeing adults, kids, whatever being hurt or killed. Animals, such as dogs, kind of annoy me though. Lol