• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So, guys, we all have our favorite genre, and there are moments like we feel it will never get better, and indeed it didn't. What was that moment for you?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Stealth games peaked with Dishonored 2, so 2016. We don't really get that many stealth games nowadays so it isn't a hard task at all.

Nov 4, 2017
JRPGs peaked in the 90s IMO. SNES/PS1/PS2 where the golden age. These days it all seems like flashy, meaniingless nonsense to me. I did love Octopath Traveller though.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
RPGs peaked in 1995 with Chrono Trigger (though I didn't get to play it until much later, it released on DS for the first time in Europe).

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Sim Lite Military games? Early 2000s. Games like M1 Tank Platoon, Total Air War, Comanche Hokum, Gunship and the like.

These sort of games don't even exist anymore.

Which means my favourite type of games has gone. And as such I like gaming less.

Thank goodness there are still some car games (though not many), Forza Horizon 4 is the sort of game I've wanted my whole life.

Nov 4, 2017
Oh and I think RTS's peaked in the mid 90's to early 2000s. AoE, Starcraft, Warcraft 2/3, Dark Reign, Supreme Commander, RA, C&C, Rise of Nations... What happened? It seems like nobody even makes RTS games anymore :(

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
The Beatles Rock Band opened a new door for music games. Imagine exploring the careers of historic figures, giving a deep dive into their library in lovingly crafted moodscapes, perfectly replicating the art of the day.

But nope. AAA music games are dead.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
DMC3, though Metal Gear Rising is so close even with the seemingly incomplete nature of it.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Platformers peaked at Mega Man Zero 3.

I've been digging through platformers all over the years and not a single one comes close to providing such a rock solid overall package.

The super tight controls and level design, the actually engaging story, genuinely memorable characters and that constant drive to be better with the intricately made ranking system, all combine into a near-perfect package.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
Turned based JRPGs peaked with the PS1. There were some good ones on the PS2 but the quantity of quality releases really dropped after the PS1/Saturn era.

Jul 26, 2018
Metroidvania - Hollow Knight

To anyone saying JRPGs peaked during SNES/PSX era. Generally, yes. But we still have stand outs in the genre that can stand toe to toe with the best of them. Dragon Quest XI is the most recent example.

Oct 25, 2017
FPSs peaked around 1996. Now they are either structured as themepark rides or sandbox games. It's okay to backtrack, really, those game have their dated parts but level design wasn't one of them.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Survival horror peaked in the early 2000s. Primarily with REmake, but also Silent Hill 2/3, the first few Fatal Frame games, Eternal Darkness, etc.

It's never been the same since the shift to action.

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guitar Hero Metallica was everything I wanted from the genre in one go. I knew it couldn't get better for my tastes.

New Super Mario Bros Wii was the peak of that particular series, but I think the 2D platforming genre peaked at Super Mario World. With that being said, if you were to say Donkey Kong Country Returns or Tropical Freeze is the new peak, I'd also accept that as a correct answer.

3D platformers have not peaked.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horror games in 2014.

Amnesia basically re-wrote the book on how to do effective horror and showed why putting the player in selectively disadvantaged positions was key for horror in an interactive setting. These design principles were then applied to major AAA works in 2014 with Alien Isolation and PT.

Since then, the horror genre has basically taken a complete backseat to cheap thrills and player empowerment.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Can't agree with the folks saying that JRPGs peaked during the SNES/PS1 era. Not when we've had masterpieces ilke Xenoblade, Persona 4/5 and Paper Mario 2.

I mean yeah, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IX are amazing, but JRPGs are still going.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't agree with the folks saying that JRPGs peaked during the SNES/PS1 era. Not when we've had masterpieces since Xenoblade, Persona 4/5 and Paper Mario 2.
Yeah, it's just plain wrong man. There was a bit of a dearth during the mid 2000s (where mediocre stuff from Mistwalker was hyped up) which made the 90s and early 2000s look untouchable, but JRPGs have been back on track for quite a while. Since Persona 3 at least. Persona 3, 4 and Xenoblade 1 are in the contention for the genre GOAT. Also, the 90s and early 2000s probably coincide with the childhood of many gamers today, so there's definitely gonna be a bias towards positive childhood memories. The golden era JRPGs were great, make no mistake, but JRPGs are just as good now.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Beat-'em-ups: Early to mid-'90s (Capcom/Konami games, Streets of Rage, etc.)

Actually I think modren beat-'em-ups are doing well nowadays. I just dislike some superficial RPG elements that makes it a slog to play.

Nov 4, 2017
Can't agree with the folks saying that JRPGs peaked during the SNES/PS1 era. Not when we've had masterpieces ilke Xenoblade, Persona 4/5 and Paper Mario 2.

I mean yeah, Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IX are amazing, but JRPGs are still going.
I'd wager a lot of it comes down to how you feel about turn-based combat. For old dinosaurs like me who love taking turns picking attacks from a menu, the glory days are over (though recent gems like Octopath and Personal 5 are carrying the torch). While games about Xenoblade 2 or Nier might be excellent RPGs, their active combat doesn't appeal to my crusty old man tastes :D

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have a favourite genre but I feel snowboarding games peaked with SSX 3. That the genre largely died out doesn't help either. SSX 3 aged remarkably well though so I'm happy enough to keep replaying it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite genres are still very much alive with constant innovation, so It's hard to say.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
For me, survival horror peaked with Silent Hill 2 and JRPGs peaked with FFVIII, although there have been some great entries since both.

Those are the high watermarks for me in those respective genres.