• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
I'll go JRPG for 16 bit as well.
PS1/2 era games were good, but there wasn't much on the other consoles.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Platform Fighters for me. Today might be the highest point of the genre with Ultimate selling so much and the appearance of many other Indie Titles, but I don't think it has peaked yet.

We will see if some other big publishers attempt to create something in this genre.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
JRPG on SNES and PS. VN the first decade of 21th century. Usually the genre peaks with the market.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
What about recents like Alien Isolation, SOMA, RE7 VR? Surely these are among the best horror games ever made? I feel like the horror genre can only get much better as time goes on.
Those are all great horror games, but they don't really nail the adventure game aspect of classic survival horror (of the late 90's/early 00's-era). I miss the puzzle nature that once defined the genre, whether it's having to figure out where to go/what to do, or literally the puzzles themselves. There really haven't been any new survival horror games since the mid-2000s that really do what the games of that era did. Modern survival horror games are going more for trying to scare me, which is fine, but they don't require me to think a whole lot. RE7 recaptures the classic style to an extent, but it's a dumbed down version of it.

That's not to say future games can't ever surpass games of that era in my eyes, but they've moved so far away from that style of survival horror that I don't expect them to. Maybe RE2 remake will.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
The grand strategy genre has yet to peak. I feel like it's going to hit new highs when Imperator: Rome is released.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For shmups, the early '90s, for my particular tastes. It is nice to see the lights are still being kept on, though.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I used to think loot driven, isometric, ARPGs* peaked with Diablo 2 which was such a unique, monumental and influential game. It spawned a few good quality copycats in the following years, and a ton of its mechanics have seeped into different genres, but not until around 2012-13 did we see that next step, and it wasn't Diablo 3 who did it, but with the release of Path of Exile instead (which is a truer Diablo 2 successor). That's when the genre really reached new heights in my opinion.

This was also the time around when games like Torchlight, Marvel Heroes, Dungeon Siege 3, and even smaller stuff like Van Helsing and Victor Vran made their mark stretching up to the release of Grim Dawn not that long ago, all contributing to make the landscape richer in general. Diablo 3 ended up being a decent game after the expansion, but did not really live up to the promise of an always online, ongoing service with continuous content or a real evolution of D2's core tenets when it comes to build variety and expanding loot mechanics. These days it feels like Diablo 2 still has more concurrent players and pull than D3, and Path of Exile has done nothing but continue to grow, establishing itself as a constant top 10-20 fixture on Steam and Twitch. I'm looking forward to what GGG do next year. Maybe the true peak is yet to come.

*I feel like the category of ARPG I'm talking about here really needs those qualifiers for this specific conversation. Stuff like Borderlands et.al, while very similar, are more of an adaptation to a different core genre in my opinion (shooters in this example), while the games am I talking about have those clear identifiers that connects them all together in a much more essential way.

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

lBaMYvW.gif

shocking i know

Freddo

Oct 27, 2017
SmĂĄland, Sweden
1998-2000 with games like Thief 1&2, System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

Not only did I enjoy these games a lot, but they also made me excited for future games and how advance simulations would become. Then the original Xbox came with only 64MB RAM, and instead of a larger more epic Deus Ex sequel we got a disappointing game with very tiny levels.

RIP Looking Glass Studios. At least Arkane Studios done some marvelous work lately on Dishonored and Prey, just a shame they didn't sell that well.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Third person action adventure games are killing it right now.

Thanks Sony.

if naughty dog just made something like vanquish just imagine.

my entry id say metroidvania:

symphony of the night is the peak for me I have played hundreds of metroidvanias and they just dont come close to sotn, yes including hollow knight it comes close but no.

Feb 16, 2018
i never felt this way during the year when it peaked

i only feel this way 15 years later after seeing nothing come good out

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
the popularity of platformers ended right around 1998-2000. i think if nintendo had released super mario 64-2 that the genre would have been stronger going into the next generation.

creatively, i think they're still going strong, and they obviously sell well enough that people keep making them. they're just not the 'it' thing to copy anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Stealth Action : MGS1(1998)
Kojima: MGS4(2008)
Action Adventure : Uncharted 2(2009) or 4(2016)
RPG: FF VIII(1999)
MMO: Star Wars Galaxies(2003)
FPS: COD4(2007)
Horror: REmake(2002)

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
FPSes peaked in the late 2000s, 07-09. Stuff like BioShock and CoD 4.

2016 was a nice call back year though, with Overwatch, Titanfall 2, and Doom all being considered as top 5 of the year.

Outside of FPS my favorite genre is probably 3rd person action adventure, which is in it's peak right now and has been for a bit because so many quality games are that genre. The Last of Us, God of War, Red Dead, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no way MGS1 is a better stealth action game than MGSV. Which is my answer for that genre.

Virtually all of MGS1's gameplay is severely outdated today.
I don't like V at all, it got boring incredibly fast.
I also feel Ghost Recon Wildlands came out and streamlined much of what V was trying to do and made it far less convoluted and more enjoyable.

Honestly MG2SS is what I consider the best but in this list it loses to MGS1 for the storytelling upgrades.
MG2SS and MGS1 still work relatively easy, MGS2 & MGS3 added a lot of extra stuff that make them feel far more outdated personally.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Arcade Racers peaked with Burnout Revenge it's been hard going since then.

Console 4X games peaked with Civ Revolution. Not sure if there are any other at all. I still play it, still love it but a real sequel could make it great with only a few changes.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tekken 2

Not that the genre didn't get much, much better (it most assuredly did) but at the time that game represented the apex of interactive entertainment for me personally.

Played it to death in the arcades and then played the PSX version more than anything else at the time.

Tekken 3 was even better but even that didn't replicate the excitement of 2 for me.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I don't like V at all, it got boring incredibly fast.
I also feel Ghost Recon Wildlands came out and streamlined much of what V was trying to do and made it far less convoluted and more enjoyable.

Honestly MG2SS is what I consider the best but in this list it loses to MGS1 for the storytelling upgrades.
MG2SS and MGS1 still work relatively easy, MGS2 & MGS3 added a lot of extra stuff that make them feel far more outdated personally.

interesting, I only played the Ghost Recon demo but maybe I should give it another shot since it's dirt cheap these days...

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
JRPGs peaked in the mid 90's... however since 2017 they've been going strong again. A renaissance
  • Persona 5 is a game that rivals the very classics and even surpasses them
  • Dragon Quest XI is one of the best Dragon Quest games
  • Bloodborne is a masterpiece
  • NieR Automata is more of an action game than a JRPG but it's bloody excellent
  • Xenoblade 2 is pretty alright
  • Octopath Traveler is also quite alright
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a treat
  • Digimon Cyber Sleuth was great
  • Alliance Alive is a pretty cool 3DS JRPG
and some other classics are being either remastered or remade like
  • Tales of Vesperia
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Radiant Historia
  • World Ends With You... good times to be a JRPG fan.
there was a small peak around 2010-2013: with Xenoblade Chronicles 1, Persona 4 Golden, Fire Emblem Awakening, Valkyria Chronicles 1, etc

Ex Lion Tamer

Oct 25, 2017
JRPGs peaked in the mid 90's... however since 2017 they've been going strong again. A renaissance
  • Persona 5 is a game that rivals the very classics and even surpasses them
  • Dragon Quest XI is one of the best Dragon Quest games
  • Bloodborne is a masterpiece
  • NieR Automata is more of an action game than a JRPG but it's bloody excellent
  • Xenoblade 2 is pretty alright
  • Octopath Traveler is also quite alright
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4 is a treat
  • Digimon Cyber Sleuth was great
  • Alliance Alive is a pretty cool 3DS JRPG
and some other classics are being re-released like Vesperia, Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia, World Ends With You... good times to be a JRPG fan.
there was a small peak around 2010-2013
with Xenoblade Chronicles 1, Persona 4 Golden, Fire Emblem Awakening, etc

JRPGs have definitely gone through a renaissance but I wouldn't consider bloodborne a JRPG. It's more of an action game with light rpg elements.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer FPS with Counter-Strike. CS: GO is one of the most popular games around and it's still the same game it was almost 20 years ago just now with weapon skins.
Singleplayer FPS haven't peaked, yet.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
3D platformers in 2007 with Super Mario Galaxy, although my favourite time for the genre was the PS2 era when new Jak/Sly/Ratchet were all releasing regularly.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
So far strategy games peaked with Total War: Warhammer 2. Multiplayer FPS probably peaked with Unreal Tournament 2k4. RPGs with Mount & Blade: Warband most likely. I feel like out of those 3 FPS is the one where this is the least likely to change, especially since Epic abandoned New Unreal Tournament in a ditch somewhere in favour of the big Fortnite money.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what to call em, but for me the side scrolling shooters peeked at Contra : The Alien Wars, never really liked the ones that came after.