• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
if naughty dog just made something like vanquish just imagine.

my entry id say metroidvania:

symphony of the night is the peak for me I have played hundreds of metroidvanias and they just dont come close to sotn, yes including hollow knight it comes close but no.
I would do some terrible things for vanquish 2

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't think any genre has peaked. Every genre has the potential to be better in the future than it ever has been before. I haven't really enjoyed an RPG more than Mass Effect 1 since Mass Effect 1 came out, but that doesn't mean that there will never be another RPG as good as it. That's a hell of a pessimistic attitude to have.

ilium

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
Immersive sims never even got to peak before they were MURDERED.

giphy.gif

Misterhbk

Oct 27, 2017
'Hey Era what's your age' the thread.

JRPGs and honestly I don't think they've peaked at all. Dragon Quest XI, Octopath, Persona 5, etc are all proof of that imo.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
JRPGs with PS2 for sure. Since then I feel like they've been struggling to catch up to their glory days.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I'm not sure if rhythm games can even peak, there are probably still 100s of ways to sync player action to music. Pop'n Music is still my favorite but every rhythm game has their own little quirks that keep you going back to them.

I will say they started on an incredibly high note. Beatmania in 1997. Dance Dance Revolution and Pop'n Music in 1998. Beatmania IIDX, Guitarfreaks, and Drummania in 1999. God damn Konami/Bemani were on fire. All 5 series still get new versions to this day.

Last edited:

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Space sims peaked with Freespace 2. I'm glad the genre is kinda sorta coming back, but so far nothing looks as fun to me as FS2 did.
Space flight games peaked with Freespace 2. Unless Star Citizen is everything they promise we'll never see the genre rise to its former glory.
There's dozens of us! I really miss space combat sims. Stuff like EVE or Elite Dangerous just don't cut it for me sadly.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Platformers in the late-90's hit their stride of introducing collectibles in a satisfying and clever way without going into the overly engorged feature-creep and excruciating backtracking; mistakes of Rare's Donkey Kong 64 and Banjo-Tooie, and preceding the era certain successful sequels becoming the dominant image for later entries moving forward (Crash is especially victim of this)

1998 had Crash 3, Spyro, and Banjo alone, it was already a pretty loaded year without including smaller titles like Glover.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
I guess my favorite genre could be more meditative/artistic games like Ueda's games and Rime etc.
Have they peaked......no idea really,Ueda's still making games so hopefully his magnum opus is still yet to be conceived.
Vane is out on Tuesday so hopefully that gives the genre another great game.

Melubas

Jan 4, 2018
I understand that you won tournaments for USFIV, but it's not even the best game in the Street Fighter series (not while Third Strike & Super Turbo exist), let alone the entire genre. But to each their own, I suppose.

I enjoyed 3d strike more, but the same sort of scene could never have existed back then. That's why I think USF4 was the culmination of the genre. And I never liked Super Turbo (heresy, I know).

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Hyrule Warriors definitely comes to mind for the hack 'n slash. Was about to say Dynasty Warriors 8, but Hyrule Warriors felt like the most definitive hack and slash game that we got and everything after that was either lacking or an overall disappointment.

Honorable mention to Berserk Musou, but man was the final boss come hilariously unfair that it forced me to be as cheap as the boss to beat it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Puzzle Adventure

2c0f2ed72aec348fb727ba8ae0d82926db78be78.jpg

Tell me I'm wrong.
Well different kind of puzzles and adventure, but Lucas Arts made even better ones. Not the best comparison though, not really the same genre =P But it gets me to my answer, adventure games peaked with Lucas Arts. Grim Fandango being the culmination. Too bad the genre kinda died for a while too, or atleast went to coma. Wadjet Eye and Daedalic are doing decent job carrying the torch nowadays, yet they don't reach the heights of Lucas Arts and their many incredible games. They had hell of a ten years, Maniac Mansion, Indiana Jones, Sam & Max, Monkey Island etc. Gilbert and Schafer were on their prime, they still got it though.

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Stealth games peaked with Dishonored 2, so 2016. We don't really get that many stealth games nowadays so it isn't a hard task at all.

I love me some D2 and there's no accounting for taste, but I really feel like the genre peaked with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. In terms of a pure stealth game - where, circumstances being what they are, you really don't have the option of taking dudes down openly - it was and arguably remains peerless.

I love the Dishonored series' options though, but you're almost a little to powerful for a proper stealth game.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Third person shooters peaked with Max Payne 3.

First person shooters peaked with Rainbow Six Siege.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Third Strike is the pinnacle of 2D fighting games. Music, art, depth and speed of the gameplay, there was never anything before it that reached its Heights, and 20 years later there's been nothing since. I don't know if I can legitimately say that fighting games are my favorite genre these days, as I barely even play them now, but there it is.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
RPGs from 2002-04 with KOTOR I/II, Morrowind, and Vampire: TM - Bloodlines.

Immersive Sims in 2016-17 gave us Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, Death of the Outsider, and Prey.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I'm 70 hours into TLoZ: BotW and as much as I'm loving it, I'm a bit worried this game is the peak of open world games.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
With kingdom hearts 2 and 3 action rpg genre peaked i never played a action rpg as good as kh2 ever. It's one of the most fun combat and gameplay systems ever especially if ya play on proud mode or higher.

Based of the 0.2 demo and kh3 footage so far kh3 seems to even one up kh2 so that game is for sure gonna peak the genre for me personally.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love me some D2 and there's no accounting for taste, but I really feel like the genre peaked with Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. In terms of a pure stealth game - where, circumstances being what they are, you really don't have the option of taking dudes down openly - it was and arguably remains peerless.

I love the Dishonored series' options though, but you're almost a little to powerful for a proper stealth game.

I can see that, especially the power imbalance present in D2, but I'd have to point out Mark of the Ninja is arguably a contender for peak stealth.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Action games.

It will peak on March 8th 2019 with DMC5