• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Preferred subtitle colour?

• Yellow

Votes: 53 23.3%
  • White

Votes: 168 74.0%
  • Other

Votes: 6 2.6%

• Total voters
Nov 8, 2017
As it says in the thread title.

For me, yellow subtitles make me feel comfortable. It reminds me of watching foreign language films on SBS as a kid. I feel like it's a reasonably common sentiment among Australians.

crouching_tiger_0upk6z.png

VERSUS

subtitle-of-a-blu-ray6mjw1.jpg

Some programs and services let you customize beyond just white, yellow, and various backgrounds to help things stand out more, but it's rare. I know Plex and things like VLC player can customize to arbitrary colours.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd usually stick to white but I know I've watched things where it's been hard to read them at times because of the background and yellow would've definately come in handy, so I know where you're coming from.

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
For me, yellow subtitles make me feel comfortable. It reminds me of watching foreign language films on SBS as a kid. I feel like it's a reasonably common sentiment among Australians.

Lol, my immediate thought on reading the title was "Yellow would feel like watching SBS in the late 90s/early 00s."

White is usually the default, so I guess that's what I tend to use.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I use white. I have an OLED and don't want burn in. I even turn colour off on my set for black and white films with yellow subs

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
White > Yellow > White on black background.

Hard of hearing so closed captioning is a must for me.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yellow.
I cant remember what anime I was watching but the white didnt work well when I would watch it so I changed to yellow and just never came back.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
yellow subs is for bootleg dvd's you bought from backalley stores.

White is fine.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, and it really bugs me when old DVDs only have yellow subtitles with no way to change them as I find them harder to read.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I'm an SBS boy, always go yellow if I have the option.

Des Mangan late night crew sound off.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I miss SBS's Thursday night foreign films. There used to be a dude that introduced them with glasses and he had great taste. It's where I first saw Lone Wolf and Cub.

Just wish I could remember all the films.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I use white, I also hate having a background on subtitles. Any app or TV/device that doesn't allow the background to be turned off in 2022 isn't going to get any use from me. Despite English being my first language and watching 99% of my content in English, I still use subtitles for absolutely everything I can have them for, so not being able to turn off the black background of subs usually means I'm changing the app/device I watch stuff on or I'm going to get a physical copy of the thing instead that allows me to have it turned off.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I miss SBS's Thursday night foreign films. There used to be a dude that introduced them with glasses and he had great taste. It's where I first saw Lone Wolf and Cub.

Des Mangan! He basically kickstarted my lifelong love of movies. I've found a couple of Letterboxd lists with the movies he introduced; I don't know if either of them are comprehensive, though.

letterboxd.com

Des Mangan Cult Movies on SBS Australia

In the mid to late 90s on Australia’s multicultural focused tv station SBS (Special Broadcasting Service) cult movie afficianado Des Mangan presented weird and world cinema (usually on Friday or Saturday nights) and opened the eyes to a generation of film nuts and kids and teens (like me) who...

letterboxd.com

Des Mangans Cult Movies

Maybe I can't remember what I watched last week but I can recall staying up with my finger poised over the VHS record button for Des Mangan's Cult Movies on late night SBS. It was a key part of my youth! This is in no way a comprehensive list, just the ones I recall watching myself. Prompts for...

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
A long ass time ago when Netflix was casted via Chromecast, you couldn't mess with the sub appearance. I mean you could on the computer, but with Chromecast it would always revert to default. At the time yellow was the default. That shit sucked.

Aldo

Mar 19, 2019
Grey with a thin black border. I make them transparent when possible

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I have a DVD of 8 1/2, where the subtitles are baked-in, white, with a hairline black border that wasn't always there (like it was lost between pixels in the transfer if that makes sense). In a black and white movie with a lot of bright whites.

My worst subtitle experience by far. I bought it from JB Hi-Fi so it wasn't a bootleg copy.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Des Mangan! He basically kickstarted my lifelong love of movies. I've found a couple of Letterboxd lists with the movies he introduced; I don't know if either of them are comprehensive, though.

letterboxd.com

Des Mangan Cult Movies on SBS Australia

In the mid to late 90s on Australia’s multicultural focused tv station SBS (Special Broadcasting Service) cult movie afficianado Des Mangan presented weird and world cinema (usually on Friday or Saturday nights) and opened the eyes to a generation of film nuts and kids and teens (like me) who...

letterboxd.com

Des Mangans Cult Movies

Maybe I can't remember what I watched last week but I can recall staying up with my finger poised over the VHS record button for Des Mangan's Cult Movies on late night SBS. It was a key part of my youth! This is in no way a comprehensive list, just the ones I recall watching myself. Prompts for...

You have no idea how long I've spent trying to find out who he was or track down a decent list. Thanks mate.
And yeah, I already had a live of foreign films due to growing up in Asia, but he sort of kick started that again for me when I was in high school.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
White > Yellow > White on black background.

Hard of hearing so closed captioning is a must for me.
Nailed it.

I have a lot of nostalgia for yellow though because that's what you'd get on SBS on TV here in Australia.

They still play plenty on the World Movies channel (32), but yeah, glad to see others mention SBS.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
I don't like subtitles in movies and tv shows but for some reason I always have it on while playing

And no I only use the default most of the time

Drakhyrr

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Yellow is most often easier to read, so it's my preference as well.

Still, a black outline is the most important feature, no matter the color, else there will always be some scene where it blends with the image and becomes unreadable.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I understand the SBS reference, and it's also very nostalgic for me too.
But, when given the choice, I go for white these days.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I use yellow, but that's partially because it typically causes less blooming on my FALD TV.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Using CTHD as the example in the OP makes me like yellow more

Yellow against black border is true cinema.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only time I use yellow subtitles is watching old school martial arts movies. Did the same thing when I played Ghost of Tsushima.

Apr 3, 2020
I would love a mode that automatically switched them. Some animes on a bright TV white can be drowned out so a auto switch to yellow would be great.

Holyoneturtle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ok, I believe that yellow is the superior subtitle color because it stands out more, is easily readable, and stands above the great white void.

With that said, I prefer white because it doesnt stand out as much. But whenever theres a white screen and dialogue, oof.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I have memories of yellow subtitles on all the fansubs I watched back in the day, but overall it's unpleasant for text. I prefer white subtitles.

Now I'm thinking of those foreign films on Channel 47/CFMT/OMNI back then too...

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
White with a drop shadow or black outline.
I never liked yellow subtitles.