• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.pcgamesn.com/portal-2/s...ncoming-following-400k-original-units-shipped
This information comes from a GDC presentation talking about the design of the hardware, the reception and the future. It isn't clear how many of those 400K units are sales, but it's still a decent number of controllers in the hands of players. Hopefully the hardware revision isn't too soon, as Valve might find the ones who did buy it slightly annoyed.

Saying that, the new controller apparently won't bring any new functionality and will be focused on visuals and ergonomics. Though Valve's Pierre-Loup Griffais wouldn't commit to the controller's second iteration having no capability improvements at all.

"In the future, we are working on a hardware revision to the controller to improve look and feel," says Pierre-Loup Griffais. "But we're pretty happy with the feature set we have now and do not intend to drastically change it, or even change it at all.

"Maybe we'll throw extra features in here or there, but the controller's not gonna grow a new touchpad, or a new set of buttons, or a new major feature."
f4MVPQw.jpg

We know it's coming. In Valve time, sure - but we know it's coming. So I'm curious, what do you guys think about the inevitable revision? Any hopes for it?

I'm hoping we get hotswappable parts similar to the Elite Controller, but on a grander scale. Gimme that swappable trackball instead of the touchpads. Also, I want better build quality. The current controller feels super cheap and hollow. And copy HD rumble for proper feedback that doesn't feel so... Lazy? Cheap? Hard to describe since it's not *real* rumble in the sense of traditional controllers.

Also, put the handles the right damn way this time.

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Swappable parts, at least for a d-pad option, and improved build quality. My controller's analog stick has a tiny clicking noise/feeling when rotating it across the top at one point. It would be nice if the plastic they used felt better as well. The glossy parts especially look and feel tacky.

It's one of my favorite controllers, so I'm really hoping there's a quality revision.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Steam controller is my main way of play on pc. I began to appreciate shooters because of the controller. Love Gyro aiming combined with the trackpad and the ample customization. But obviously is far from perfect. My biggest gripes are the RB/LB buttons, too "clickey" ... i wish they were like the dualshock L1 and R1. Also the right trackpad is too big. The area shoul be smaller, allowing a better distribution (more to the right) of the frontal buttons.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Bigger face buttons that aren't so far away from the shoulder buttons and a proper, quality d-pad.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's a tough sell because the Steam pad gives the vibe of a regular gamepad with it's button layout but just feels totally alien to people expecting a gamepad. There are two things I think they need to do for a revision. The first is ditch the traditional layout they went for that is just holding it back, the thing is never going to be totally familiar to gamepad users so it's not worth trying when you can do so much more without the constraints it brings. Do things like a break-away split design or move the buttons to not rely on thumbs at all, forward thinking stuff instead of being rooted in the past. The second is to either improve the trackpad tech or make it way bigger. The problem right now with the trackpad size is it's too small to really give you precision so you either have to swipe a lot to look around or have the sensitivity fast enough that you can't actually aim at anything. Make the pad twice the size and stop worrying about how the thing looks because it looks weird already.

The hard part is maintaining compatibility with all the current Steam controller configurations out there, but I'm sure they can come up with some kind of auto mapper that'll help with that.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My personal list:
  • Four/six grip buttons, and make them all actual buttons rather than part of the battery case. The case part gets warped from extended use, making input more unreliable. Four or even six grip buttons would allow for buttons for each non-index finger, and effectively make the face buttons obsolete for most standard functions. A grand total of twelve buttons/triggers (grip, shoulders, triggers, pad) available without taking your thumbs off the pads would be incredible.
  • Replace the control stick with a proper d-pad, one that can be swapped between a classic Nintendo-style pad and a Saturn-style pad. The stick is effectively redundant with the presence of the left pad, even if the latter isn't as immediately intuitive as the stick, and pressing the pad is much easier on the thumb than a stick press.
  • More face buttons for non-vital functions. It's a PC controller, might as well accomodate extra functions that players can afford to take their thumb away from the right pad to press.
Do that, and the SC v2 would basically be perfect, IMO.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Visual and ergonomic focus is the right move, I think.

It feels a bit too bulky and oddly shaped in my hands. I'd take slightly smaller trackpads if it was more comfortable to hold.

Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I personally think that Valve should let it go. The Xbox One controller is usually the go to for PC gaming, if not the DualShock 4.

I personally think the Steam Controller suffered from horrendous design choices, the lack of a physical d-pad being the biggest one. The concave design of the controller also doesn't make it all that attractive.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. I'm just as happy with my Xbox One controller for my PC gaming experiences.

Wislizeni

Oct 27, 2017
What I mainly want is a slimmer design. It's too wide for smaller hands. Maybe a different material on the pads. They're great for aiming, but could be better; my thumb drags a bit on the tough material the current model uses, I've noticed. Deeper analog triggers, and a tougher end-click would also be great. I hardly ever use any soft-pull/full-pull bindings because the end click is so loose.

Gimme that swappable trackball instead of the touchpads.
Gotta lower smoothing in advanced settings for the trackpad, it's actually better than a traditional trackball when set up right, based on my experience. I also don't think Valve should go in the direction of swappable parts, they just need to do a better job at default configurations for it. One of the biggest issues with the device is definitely the fact that it's not very accessible. It takes a bit of work on the user's part, which sucks, just because the device innovates in so many areas. I wish more people would give it a chance, but I also get why they dont.

And copy HD rumble for proper feedback that doesn't feel so... Lazy? Cheap? Hard to describe since it's not *real* rumble in the sense of traditional controllers.
SC does have HD rumble. Trying out my little brother's Switch, and comparing its feedback to Prey's native implementation of it, it's clearly the same tech. I think it's more about devs taking proper advantage of it. I wish they would.

Also, put the handles the right damn way this time.
Don't try to grab it like a regular controller. Honestly, the way it sits in your hand when held properly allows you to reach farther in, which helps a lot. Especially when it comes to the pads.

pantsattack

Oct 25, 2017
It would do well with better feeling bumpers. They have next to no throw. And maybe bigger face buttons, but that really didn't bother me.

The big change I want is a rocker switch under the left touch pad. Maybe one that can lock too. It'll go a way toward a Saturn pad feel with that.

Don't change the handles! What are you guys on about? It has the best ergonomics for nestling in and getting a good reach forward compared to other pads.

Nikpls

Oct 25, 2017
A shell that feels less hollow and cheap, better buttons (especially shoulder buttons), and the screen of the original design for custom hotkeys:

steam_controller_02.jpg

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, I'd re-examine the ergonomics of the controller. I really like the way that it looked, visually, but although it was mostly comfortable, it still had some weird gaps where my thumbs cross over to the face aspect of the controller. I was immensely happy with the battery life of it. For me, I would like some simpler setups for games. I'm still super confused about the advanced setups for what you can do with the controller. Beyond straight up mapping buttons, I mean. I'd also like it to be something that has more automatic setup for default configurations. Some games do that, and it's great. It needs to be a lot more. I'd also like to see a real d-pad. I'm not opposed to having the trackpads, but I had the hardest time adapting to the haptics being the d-pad.

Smoko

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fix the rumble. I don't know if mine is faulty or not but when the controller vibrates it's loud enough to be distracting and annoying.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Literally all I want is for the bumpers, grip buttons, and touch pad clicks to be WAY easier to press.

They're just so stiff that I haven' e been able to use the Steam Controller comfortably for the full length if a game. The closest I got was The Witness, and that's only because it has just a basic control scheme.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to work better on the distribution of this damn thing. It's like they tell everyone that's not American to fuck off and import it for some stupid huge price.

Smoko

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want them to work better on the distribution of this damn thing. It's like they tell everyone that's not American to fuck off and import it for some stupid huge price.

Somehow I managed to import mine to Australia from Amazon US for cheaper than EBGames sell them or console controllers locally. If I'm remembering correctly it cost me $60 with postage. But yeah, Valve really need to step their game up and make it easier and cheaper to buy.