I Said on No Account

• Isometric (Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity...)

Votes: 38 33.9%
  • Full 3D (Divinity, Wasteland 3...)

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • It's a impossible choice, I like both equally.

Votes: 36 32.1%
  • I dislike both equally. Screw those games!

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think the question is self explanatory. Assuming I'm using cRPG correctly.

I've been playing this last few days Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 3, and I found this question on the fringes of my mind.

Now, I'm not sure if isometric implies a fixed camera angle or if 3d games can also be considered isometric, but I think the difference between the two is clear. When I say isometric I mean a game with pre-made backgrounds (?) and a fixed camera angle, like the GOAT Baldur's Gate 2 or the more recent Pillars of Eternity. And when I mention 3d I'm thinking of games like Divinity 2 and Wasteland 3, both absolutely incredible.

ss_817383f1f02bad9bf940790ff4b984735babec0b.1920x1080.jpg

VS

ss_34a428cdd26113e8645b77331d9fc82fcc50a4a2.1920x1080.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Full 3D without a second's hesitation. I can't stand isometric viewpoints for anything that isn't Diablo specifically. Not even Diablo-inspired games. Just Diablo itself.

and yes, OP - isometric is just the camera angle specifically, you can have full 3D games that are also isometric

Sadnarav

Nov 6, 2019
I voted Full 3D thinking more in a Witcher 3 because a very important thing to me is the sense of being in a place in a way that even the best isometric games such as Disco Elysium or Divinity Original Sins just don't give to me

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Isometric isn't just top-down camera angle, it's also orthographic.

Between the two, I think I prefer the isometric aesthetic over top-down 3D... but really I want more CRPGs with a KOTOR-esque 3rd person perspective, which is what I imagine most people are thinking "full 3D" to mean.

Altairre

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't care as long as the game is good. Both can work, both can look beautiful, both can convey whatever atmosphere they want to convey. I think the average quality of the more recent cRGPs is pretty fucking high in general and both forms have an excellent track record.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Honestly I don't think the camera matters that much. That being said, in some turn-based games that require you to be precise an isometric camera without camera rotation can be kinda annoying since it prevents you from getting a better look at your environment.

A good example of this is Pathfinder Kingmaker where, without the camera rotation mod, certain fights can be pretty annoying since the environment or other objects can get in the way and obscure things. I think this is the reason why they added in camera rotation in the sequel. In most CRPGs this isn't much of an issue though.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
If the camera is going to be pulled back regardless, I kind of prefer the more static, but detailed backgrounds of the older games to the fully-3D ones.

I haven't seen anything in BG3 yet that is as compelling visually ( in terms of environments) as stuff in the older titles.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
I voted before I read the OP - to me all of these games are isometric camera angles and a "full 3D game" would be like The Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
I don't like rotating the camera, so I'd rather have fixed isometric and the advantages is brings.
I get annoyed if I accidentally rotate the camera and there's no option to reset it to its default position.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Fixed.
There's already have so much shit to manage without having to reposition the camera every few seconds.
In recent memories, while Divinity II is an excellent game, the battlefield becomes real messy real fast with fire/poison/ice/lightning and all the rest, and you constantly have to reposition because of this.